7X
Favorite series: Kamen rider Den-o
2nd Favorite Series: Sailor Moon
Dreamy: Haruto Sohma
Favorite Actor?: Satoh Takeru
Favorite Band: L'Arc~en~Ciel
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: Neither the devil nor the grim reaper, just an assassin (Aya- Weiss Kreuz)
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Fruit Names

Post by Joicerojo »

thanks for the tip, it's easier for me to remember sui as water!!!!

off topic question: I don't know if this fruit is going to be in this show, but by any chance do you know Chirimoya (Aka cherimoya in English) in Japanese? I happen to like this fruit too and it took me a while to know the name in English when I asked in US (i lived there for 3,5 years) and I was wondering if Japanese know this fruit.
(I was - still am - curious for "durian" this show was the first time i've heard of it it kept me thinking of all the fruits that I don't know)
Joice Rojo
I've become addicted to Kamen Rider & Takaiwa Seiji
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault

Post by takenoko »

Never heard of it. I looked it up, and the outside looks like it'd be a good fruit for the show. The inside looks like guavas though, which I find really gross.
Joicerojo
7X
Favorite series: Kamen rider Den-o
2nd Favorite Series: Sailor Moon
Dreamy: Haruto Sohma
Favorite Actor?: Satoh Takeru
Favorite Band: L'Arc~en~Ciel
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: Neither the devil nor the grim reaper, just an assassin (Aya- Weiss Kreuz)

Post by Joicerojo »

takenoko wrote:Never heard of it. I looked it up, and the outside looks like it'd be a good fruit for the show. The inside looks like guavas though, which I find really gross.

hahahaha... guavas??? the texture is similar to mango, it is, after all, a tropical fruit
Joice Rojo
I've become addicted to Kamen Rider & Takaiwa Seiji
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ah, it was hard to tell from the pictures I looked at. I just saw the white flesh and assumed.

I like mangos, haven't had one in a while. I like papayas too, but I think they give me diarrhea.
kyoichikiller90
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: KR Agito/Kabuto
Dreamy: Akiyama Nana
Favorite Actor?: Hongo Kanata
Favorite Band: Maroon 5
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: ONORE DECADE
Quote: Ore wa hitori dake jubun da. Dare mou tomete nai, dare mou jama wa saseru nai. Sa... Omae-tachi kakatte koi yo.
Type: ESTP Promoter

Post by kyoichikiller90 »

The point is japanese never planted Suika before. Until Western civilization came and grew inside Japan, the other cooking also like Beef Patty they called Hamburg( lit' Hamubagu) instead of hamburger, Fries become Furai.
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

I don't understand why fruit is the theme for this Kamen Rider series, it just seems like the writers are scrapping the bottom of the barrel for ideas, and that's just sad. Plus I find the notion of an orange or any fruit being a henshin device to be utterly utterly abhorrent. This couldn't be further away from Ishinomori's original vision, it just seems like people aren't even trying anymore, and that's even sadder.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

On paper, I kind of agree. A giant fruit falling on a person's head is more fitting for a Fruits Rollup commercial than a Rider series. Still, it's got to be themed about something. And to be fair, there's more themes in Gaim than just the fruit thing. There's samurai and knights and other stuff. Plus the writing has made this one of the best Kamen Riders that I've watched in years.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

Actually, the original idea were birds, it was the people at bandai(or toei, i am not sure) that asked for fruits.
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

if the original theme was birds, that woulud've been cool... although again it would've been very far removed from the original vision and motif involving insects. anyway, I also see the motif of samurai and knights involved... but the fruit thing just bothers me. I'll give this show a chance by watching at least the first few episodes, if they manage to rise above the fruit thing, good, if not... oh well.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

locuas wrote:Actually, the original idea were birds, it was the people at bandai(or toei, i am not sure) that asked for fruits.
Actually, according to Naomi Takebe's interview, they were deciding between birds or bugs for the theme when yeah, Bandai claimed that they wanted fruit because "kids liked it"; and Takebe agreed to it 'cause, to be frank, she's a pretty big pushover for Bandai. :V
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I don't know. I think it kind of works. I mean, it gives them a huge variety in power ups by having such a large selection to choose from.
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

Catastrophe wrote:I don't know. I think it kind of works. I mean, it gives them a huge variety in power ups by having such a large selection to choose from.
But fruit? I mean, its one thing to promote good healthy food choices, but having the power ups being shaped like fruit, that's just so cartoonish. Besides, wasn't Kamen Rider originally intended to be aimed at teenagers, not children, like Super Sentai? So really, what the hell?
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

No? I'm pretty sure that Rider and Sentai are both targeted to kids.
squashy
Gabu
Dreamy: Koyomi-tan~
Favorite Actor?: Takamasa Suga
Favorite Band: Fall Out Boy
My boom: Chokushi no Magan
Quote: I'm full of motivation!

Post by squashy »

Apparently it's something fanboys keep telling people. It's true that Rider is more drama-like than Sentai though.

About the Arms' name, I don't think you should try to remember them by heart since the fruit is shown on screen so it's likely that you'll realize what that is right away. A few times watching should get you accustomed to the terms.
Image RIDER HEADBUTT!!!

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”