The Eyes in the Skies
omg are u a girl?: Yes
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2ndFavoriteSeries: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Kr Gaim 27 released

Post by Conan_Edogawa » Mon May 05, 2014 7:03 pm

MVZ-800 wrote:Talking of flags in shows, surely there's a flag that the bad guy who has a change of heart so early is suddenly killed? That's the feeling I get after this episode. Takatora and Kouta have put their differences aside, and are working towards a common goal.

I'm liking Takatora more - his character shows heaps more depth here. It makes you feel for him in that Kouta has been screwing up his plans - but he is taking the whole survival of humanity on his shoulders.
actually, that's a trope. it's called Redemption Equals Death

dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion » Mon May 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Bad guy who has a change of heart? When did Sid or Ryouma have a change of heart?!

Mandalori
Salami Commander
Male: Yes
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Post by Mandalori » Mon May 05, 2014 10:47 pm

It's about Takatora, but he's not yet dead. He can still be saved at the last moment, by Oren for example. The correct trope is : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeelFaceTurn
But I would call Takatora a bad guy. In fact, I can hardly call any character in Gaim a bad guy.

MVZ-800
7X
Favorite series: Dairanger
2ndFavoriteSeries: Kamen Rider Gaim
My boom: Video games

Post by MVZ-800 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:10 am

Takatora was set up as a bad guy to begin with, though. I mean it only sets it up for bigger revelations when Kouta finally discovers Micchi is Takatora's brother, and that their friendship was betrayed... For a show for kids/young adults, the writing is amazing.

dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion » Tue May 06, 2014 5:14 am

Takatora is an antagonist, not a villain. He's never done anything evil, he's just been stuck in a system where his only apparent options were all horrific. His kid brother, on the other hand...

And you don't need to qualify it with "kids/young adults". This is a very well-written show, period. Better than many primetime dramas airing on American tv, by a considerable margin. I'm astounded how Kamen Rider manages to be a phenomenally great show every few years, considering it's a toy commercial for electronic pants-holders and plastic knives.

MVZ-800
7X
Favorite series: Dairanger
2ndFavoriteSeries: Kamen Rider Gaim
My boom: Video games

Post by MVZ-800 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:50 am

dancercotillion wrote:Takatora is an antagonist, not a villain. He's never done anything evil, he's just been stuck in a system where his only apparent options were all horrific. His kid brother, on the other hand...
That's what I meant. It came down to incorrect phrasing at the time. Still, for the heel turn of the antagonist to side with the protagonist, still very foreboding.

DaVinci030
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
2ndFavoriteSeries: 海賊戦隊ゴーカイジャー
Favorite Actor?: 小宮有紗
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: 日本語と特撮です。

Post by DaVinci030 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:55 am

dancercotillion wrote:Takatora is an antagonist, not a villain. He's never done anything evil, he's just been stuck in a system where his only apparent options were all horrific.
For me, I dunno if Takatora is an antagonist of this series...
ImageImageImageImage

dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion » Wed May 07, 2014 4:46 am

MVZ-800 wrote:Still, for the heel turn of the antagonist to side with the protagonist, still very foreboding.
Oh, absolutely. As soon as he had that moment of clarity and decided to work with Kouta, I knew his death was coming. If Takatora doesn't bite it, I'll be very surprised.

locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas » Fri May 16, 2014 8:32 pm

I am almost there:

*Great Takatora episode. as i have been saying, Takatora's goals are noble, but he does not believe in "The end justifies the means". He knows what he is doing is wrong, it is a crime that should never be forgiven, but on the other hand, what other choice does he have? if to save humanity he needs to be remembered as a demon? that's fine with him, he is not expecting to be remembered as a hero, he does not expect to gain something from this. the best he can hope for is to save as many humans as he can and that those humans can use the chance they are given to make a future. And since we are quoting TV Tropes...
Which is way he is so willing to believe Kouta. If there is a real chance for humanity to be saved, if there is another way which he could not see. something that can tell him he does not need to sacrifice human lives, he is going to take it. He has been hardened by bad experience and the weight of humanity on his shoulders, but he still is, at his very core, as idealistic as Kouta. to him, this is not a matter of "will we save humanity?" it is "we WILL save humanity".
And now, Ryouma cannot pretend anymore. Takatora knows there is another way. no matter what Ryouma says, Takatora is going to take it.

Also, it is interesting that Takatora has pulled the hero card at the same time(roughly speaking) as micchi pulled the villain card. It is a nice contrast.

AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2ndFavoriteSeries: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow » Sat May 31, 2014 8:22 pm

So apparently switching from glasses to contacts means you're evil.

Micchi would be less evil if he just sat down and had a conversation with someone about what's going on (other than Ryouma & co).

(Also, I don't know what other people saw, but for me there was too much steam to make out Takatora's butt - still a sexy scene though)

Dengar
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gaim
2ndFavoriteSeries: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:55 am

Hm... Now that I think about it, it never occurred to me. But the source of Micchy's flaw might be that he never talks about his feelings to anyone.

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:21 am

Feelings just get in the way of cold, hard intellectualism and logic.

Philip Aldraine
Kamen Knight
omg are u a girl?: Yes
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: Koko kara wa ore no sutēji da!

Post by Philip Aldraine » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Dengar wrote:Hm... Now that I think about it, it never occurred to me. But the source of Micchy's flaw might be that he never talks about his feelings to anyone.
Sometimes I wish he would. Maybe Kouta and Mai would understand.
Currently Watching: Ex-Aid, Kyuranger.

'Once you've seen the light, you can never go back to the darkness!'

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”