My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ratings for Gaim in

Post by takenoko »

Average: 5.2% (All Episodes)
Highest: 6.9% (Episodes 30 & 35)
Lowest: 3.2 (Episode 39)

If you want to see it by episode: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... Chronology

Source: http://www10.atwiki.jp/shichouseiko/pages/549.html%7C

By comparison, here's Wizard's ratings from a year before:
Average: 5.94% (All Episodes)
Highest: 7.8% (Episodes 2)
Lowest: 3.7 (Episode 46)
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Re: Ratings for Gaim in

Post by Dengar »

So... Is it good? Is it bad?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Well, stats are never black and white like that. It's sort of bad in the sense that all the numbers are lower than Wizard. But add in the context that TV viewership is on a downward trend in general and has been for the last few years.

One thing to note is that unlike Wizard and Fourze which peaked early on (2 for wizard and 7 for fourze), Gaim's peaks were at episode 30 and 35. I'd like to think that means people enjoyed Gaim.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Ratings don't really work now days with the ability to watch shows online.

Even for something like Gaim, they go mainly by toy sales rather then the show viewers.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

Wizard was better than Gaim in my opinion. Gaim story was too complicated... both stories and dark and similar but Wizard was better.
Final Vent!
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

To me, I don't know if Japan really has services like Hulu for their TV stuff or not. I assume they don't for the most part since they tend to be behind online wise. Their physical rental system is still going strong though.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

There's a system similar to netflix but it works on a rotating basis and you can't always see the same shows. Plus for a lot of them you have to pay extra per episode in addition to the service fee. There's really nothing with netflix's convenience and affordability which makes me wonder why it hasn't broken into Japan yet.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Ratings for long franchises like this can also be reflections of previous seasons, it's important to recognize. If a given season doesn't do very well, it can really affect the ratings for the next season until word of mouth gets around that the new show is actually good. Same thing goes for how a crappy season might do better out of the gate because it followed a really good one and people thought that standard would be upheld.

This is also part of how networks schedule programming. You take a show doing really well and jam something else which isn't doing as well after it; chances are good people will catch some of that second show and stick around, boosting that program.
Knight of L-sama
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: It is a place that dwells in the memory of those who still dream of its ancient glory. A world revered for its beauty, mystery and danger. On a planet of endless adventure such a land is known as El-Hazard. If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million night, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Knight of L-sama »

Kurow wrote:Wizard was better than Gaim in my opinion. Gaim story was too complicated... both stories and dark and similar but Wizard was better.
I've got to say it was the exact opposite. Wizard had potential what with the whole driving people to despair vs giving them hope motif, but it didn't really live up to that potential.

Gaim on the other hand started off on the back foot with the fruit theme but superior writing and some good acting definitely pulled off one hell of a series.

And I really don't see the story as too complicated... but I'm used to Urobutchi's work and have thoroughly enjoyed it in the past so I knew exactly what I was getting into and was not disappointed.
Welcome to the Sea of Chaos!
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

Knight of L-sama wrote:
Kurow wrote:Wizard was better than Gaim in my opinion. Gaim story was too complicated... both stories and dark and similar but Wizard was better.
I've got to say it was the exact opposite. Wizard had potential what with the whole driving people to despair vs giving them hope motif, but it didn't really live up to that potential.

Gaim on the other hand started off on the back foot with the fruit theme but superior writing and some good acting definitely pulled off one hell of a series.

And I really don't see the story as too complicated... but I'm used to Urobutchi's work and have thoroughly enjoyed it in the past so I knew exactly what I was getting into and was not disappointed.
I agree with this. Wizard's plot got boring real fast after the writers got real of Phoenix early in the show. Sure they tried to spice things up with Medusa's Twin and the Philosopher's stone and Gremlin but I just didn't feel the excitement in it.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The interesting thing would be to compare toy sales between the toy series. I'm fairly certain they'll be pretty similar, so in the grand scheme it isn't going to matter that much.
CrazyBlaze
Infinity
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: TOKU!
Quote: Finished: Sentai: Dairanger, Kakuranger, Abaranger, Dekaranger. Magiranger, Bokuenger, Go-onger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters, Kyrouranger

Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Agito, Faiz, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim

Watching: Gekiranger, ToQer, Drive

Post by CrazyBlaze »

Catastrophe wrote:The interesting thing would be to compare toy sales between the toy series. I'm fairly certain they'll be pretty similar, so in the grand scheme it isn't going to matter that much.
I remember reading something about that. It was early on and only after the first couple months but Gaim's sales were higher than Wizard's and Bandai saw an increase of profit from them. How much I don't know but it was an upward trend for the most part. I think a large part of it was how verstile the lockseeds were. I mean plastic rings can only do so much but if you sell the toys with the ability to play their own sounds I find it increases desirability.
HarryFA1
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
My boom: GAIM
Quote: "This is OUR stage now!" - Kouta Kazuraba, Kamen Rider Gaim

Post by HarryFA1 »

So are these numbers for when the episode's first premiere? Because Rider & Sentai are on early Sunday morning right? So I would imagine that more people would watch the reruns (that is if Japan does reruns).

I would also think that some people would just torrent, or download the episode's illegally (kinda like we do).
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

I've never been clear about how often they air. I sorta think they don't do reruns, otherwise our lives would have been much easier when our cappers messed up. I think they only air once and then maybe years later will appear again on Toei channel or something.

That's probably the problem with year long shows. It makes it hard to rerun it in syndication.
HarryFA1
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
My boom: GAIM
Quote: "This is OUR stage now!" - Kouta Kazuraba, Kamen Rider Gaim

Post by HarryFA1 »

Jeez, how do Japanese kids watch ANYTHING without reruns? That's pretty much the only way I watched TV as a kid.

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”