xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Re: Ratings for Gaim in

Post by xiiliea »

They probably just release it on DVD at half a thousand bucks per series, so you're "forced" to buy them if you really really want to watch them again.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

HarryFA1 wrote:Jeez, how do Japanese kids watch ANYTHING without reruns? That's pretty much the only way I watched TV as a kid.
There's plenty of Pokemon reruns.
HarryFA1
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
My boom: GAIM
Quote: "This is OUR stage now!" - Kouta Kazuraba, Kamen Rider Gaim

Post by HarryFA1 »

Then perhaps there is hope. :lol:
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Please delete this account.
2nd Favorite Series: Please delete this account.
Dreamy: Please delete this account.
Favorite Actor?: Please delete this account.
Favorite Band: Please delete this account.
My boom: Please delete this account.
Quote: Please delete this account.

Post by D_B »

Dengar wrote:So... Is it good? Is it bad?
It's pretty much where I expected it to be, honestly. Maybe 0.3-0.4% lighter than my personal expectation, but that's hardly enough to even notice.

To keep it all in one place for your consideration, let's just update a post that OOOKaiser made some 2 and a half years ago (over here viewtopic.php?f=56&t=11447):

Average Ratings of Kamen Rider Heisei Era Series
1. Kamen Rider Agito – 11.7%
2. Kamen Rider Kuuga – 9.7%
3. Kamen Rider Ryuki – 9.4%
4. Kamen Rider Faiz – 9.3%
5. Kamen Rider Hibiki – 8.2%
6. Kamen Rider Decade and W – 8.0%
7. Kamen Rider Blade – 7.9%
8. Kamen Rider Kabuto – 7.7%
9. Kamen Rider Den-O and OOO – 6.9%
10. Kamen Rider Kiva – 6.2%
11. Kamen Rider Wizard - 5.94%
12. Kamen Rider Fourze – 5.8%
13. Kamen Rider Gaim - 5.2%

Seeing it this way is meaningful, because you can clearly see the downward trend in overall viewership, as noted by Takenoko. If anything, the series that break the trend (Decade, W, OOO) stand out for having higher than expected ratings (and Blade for having slightly lower than expected ratings). Gaim looks to be just about where the trend would have projected it.

To bring home the "Everything is okay, ratings don't mean much" message that Catastrophe has consistently added to these discussions, check this out:
"Kamen Rider will post a leap in sales from Kamen Rider Wizard to Kamen Rider Gaim should these projected numbers hold out. Within the second half of the 2014 fiscal year, Kamen Rider Gaim’s toy line generated 16 billion of the year’s 22.3 billion yen earnings. Should the projections for 7.0 billion yen earned by the brand in Toys and Hobby Business during the first half of the fiscal year hold true, Kamen Rider Gaim’s toy line will show an overall earning of 23.0 billion yen, increased from Kamen Rider Wizard’s 19.2 billion yen. The fiscal year as a whole in this area is expected to see sales of 20.0 billion yen."
(source: http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2014/05/19/ ... gs-posted/ )
CrazyBlaze was completely correct (also, I agree that the Lock Seed toy is better than the Wizard rings, and fully expect the numbers in April to be better than NamcoBandai's projections due to that superiority).

So, we likely won't have actual, hard numbers for all of Gaim's toy sales until May, but the projections show that Bandai expected Gaim's merchandise to outsell Wizard's, regardless of the viewer numbers... though not by such a large amount as to be surprising, further showing that Catastrophe's analysis of the situation is pretty much dead accurate:
Catastrophe wrote: ...interesting thing would be to compare toy sales between the toy series. I'm fairly certain they'll be pretty similar...
I guess the simple answer for Dengar's original question would have to be... "Things are exactly as they should be for our beloved Kamen Rider series to keep going for many, many more years."
takenoko wrote:I've never been clear about how often they air...<snip>...I think they only air once and then maybe years later will appear again on Toei channel or something.
xiiliea wrote:...release it on DVD at half a thousand bucks per series, so you're "forced" to buy them...
When I was last in Japan, some 10+ years ago, this was pretty accurate. You miss it first run, you plan to buy it when it comes out (in just a few weeks). I know that the Toei Channel has changed that to some degree, but it is my understanding that modern Kamen Rider are not a primary focus of the channel (and with DVD sales being consistently strong, why would they re-air them?).
Please delete this account.
Dynaman777
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Dreamy: Yuki Jojima
Favorite Actor?: Toshiro Mifune
Favorite Band: I Fight Dragons
Quote: 天下御免!!
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Dynaman777 »

Wow...Just got done reading through this.

Even though TV viewership is on the decline and everything, I'm still seriously surprised that Gaim's percentage is so low. In my opinion it had the most complex and dynamic plot of any series I've seen so far. I don't know if that has any REAL impact on ratings, but I guess in my naivety I assumed it would.

Thanks for all this cool data though! :)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I guess the question is, did kids dig it? As much as we all loved Go-Busters, I think that wasn't as appealing for them. At least, so I hear.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

You can usually tell how much a show was liked after the show ends and you see what remains in stores. I still see Gokaiger masks and toys around and definitely Kyouryuuger but very few people still sell Go-Busters stuff, which says to me that they just going to forget about it and move on.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I'm curious. did the earnings report for Gaim toy sales include all the money they're making off of the Premium Bandai stuff? because Gaim's toy sales were apparently popular enough that they held a LOT back to only sell in limited runs, and those have sold like hot cakes. not to mention, they're apparently releasing some kind of DVD/BluRay thing next April (preorders running now until sometime in February) that has to do with Zangetsu and Baron and comes with a new DX lockseed (it's another apple, but this one looks like the Golden Apple lockseed with a regular (read: grey instead of black) lockseed body and says it's L.S. - TABOO, so not 100% original, but still new-ish).

also, re: the whole reruns thing. a friend of mine is rather impatient and prefers to just get subs from the other group subbing whatever the current series at the time is, and, according to him, they occasionally leave a bit on at the end up the episode (in Gaim and Drive at least. he got wizard from here all at once to binge it, and only started watching weekly after Gaim was a few weeks in and I convinced him to try it) where the main Rider says "watch us on Fridays, too!" though they get their versions from a different channel, so that may be why.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

That's a mistranslation. It's a CM where the Rider/Sentai member says to "Watch this on Fridays!" and then shows either Doraemon or Crayon Shin-chan commercials next. KR and Sentai do not air on Asahi on Fridays.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Lunagel wrote:That's a mistranslation. It's a CM where the Rider/Sentai member says to "Watch this on Fridays!" and then shows either Doraemon or Crayon Shin-chan commercials next. KR and Sentai do not air on Asahi on Fridays.
well, like I said, their videos aren't on Asahi. maybe it's different on whatever channel they get it from?

more than likely I'm wrong, though.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, Super Hero Time might air on a different network if you live in another part of Japan. It only airs once on Sunday as far as I know.

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”