Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kamen Rider Gaim Movie: The soccer battle released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... ruits_Cup!

I guess it was okay. Not terrible, but not great either.

I liked seeing the soldiers fight against the Riders.

It was neat to see all the characters come back, but most of them were taken out at the beginning anyway.

During QC, a lot of people asked what a fantastista was. It's a soccer term. "The fantasista is the inspirational player on the team, the most creative player who can provide excellent scoring opportunities for his teammates as well as score spectacular goals himself."
http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=142807
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Kamen Rider Gaim Movie: The soccer battle released

Post by Phoenix512 »

Yeah it was just alright. I rather have either Micchi not come from Kouta's world or have him be a bit more insane during it.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Hi Tsubasa! Hi Kaidou!

Bye Tsubasa! Bye Kaidou!

Not the worst summer movie ever but I'm glad I didn't shell out 20 bucks to see it in theaters.
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

takenoko wrote:Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... Fruit_Cup!

I guess it was okay. Not terrible, but not great either.

I liked seeing the soldiers fight against the Riders.

It was neat to see all the characters come back, but most of them were taken out at the beginning anyway.

During QC, a lot of people asked what a fantastista was. It's a soccer term. "The fantasista is the inspirational player on the team, the most creative player who can provide excellent scoring opportunities for his teammates as well as score spectacular goals himself."
http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=142807
Fixed the wiki link in the quote - you need to do the same on the blog post. The ! at the end was missing from the link.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

It was an okay movie they just never explained how Micchy had kept his memory and just left it alone.
chcoman123
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Double
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Vidya Gams
Quote: Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero! - Kamen Rider Double

Post by chcoman123 »

The hell are you guys talking about? That was way better than any recent Kamen Rider movie I've seen in a long time. I wasn't expecting it to be all that good, what with the soccer, but i'm glad that it was more or less supposed to be a metaphor about trying to find a peaceful solution. This movie was better than the Gaim/Wizard Movie war, the Wizard movie and pretty much any movie that involved Fourze ant any point in time (I love Fourze, but man were his movies terrible.) It's still not perfect, with plotholes, a stupid climax and a weak first act, but I found it to be overall enjoyable.
JujinSan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japan
Quote: Whats done is done and cannot be undone

Post by JujinSan »

Honestly, this movie reminded me of the 2004 Devilman movie. It starts out alright but soon devolves into a string of average action scenes. The silver arms lock seed felt wasted in that we see it for all of about 30 seconds before it becomes a "soccer apple". The golden god felt like your average villain that wants to take over the world. Micchy essentially seeing through the illusion instantly felt cheap and took away from Kouta slowly figuring things out.

The ending felt rushed in that things resolved themselves too quickly and Kouta walking off into a pull back shot of the wrecked Zawame City felt lackluster.
Aka no Kenshi! MakaiRed! Kenpo Sentai Makaiger!
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

it was an ok movie. surprised the soccer wasn't nearly as important as I was expecting. one game to start and a sort of game for the climax, and really that's it.

I admit, it wasn't amazing, but I enjoyed it. and I LOVE the golden apple armor. it's easily my favorite of the arms change figures I've got at the moment.

the soldiers fighting the riders was cool, but how did the soldiers get the suika mechs?

and I'll ask once: WHY DIDN'T WE GET JINBA MELON?! Kouta makes a point of using Baron, Bravo, and Guridon's locks, but he choses NOT to use the only other lock he picked up in that scene? we'd better get to see it, even if just for two seconds, in the Gaim/Drive crossover, or I'm going to wonder forever just what the heck it's personal power is. I mean, the toy for the Jinba forms has a Melon mode, so why not show it in the show?

EDIT: forgot to mention, I really liked the thing they did with the huge block credits near the end where, if you squint, it blends together to look like the riders.

also, the lyrics to Your Song are super upbeat and I love it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I dunno, I definitely feel like the Wizard movie was a lot better than this. It just felt more creative and had a lot more interesting moments. While this movie wasn't bad, I can't really think of any stand out moments. It just felt very predictable.
chcoman123
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Double
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Vidya Gams
Quote: Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero! - Kamen Rider Double

Post by chcoman123 »

takenoko wrote:I dunno, I definitely feel like the Wizard movie was a lot better than this. It just felt more creative and had a lot more interesting moments. While this movie wasn't bad, I can't really think of any stand out moments. It just felt very predictable.
I didn't think this movie was predictable at all. I had no clue where it was going most of the time. And while, yes the Wizard movie was very creative, there was lots of wasted opportunity with it, much like the show itself. Before, Haruto believed that it was only him who can help Koyomi, but then a whole world of Mages happens, with people who can help Koyomi, and there's zero dilemma with that. That and it was boring, a special effect fest and predictable. This one was so much better, albeit having a lot of issues, as I stated before. But whatever. I thought that, for not being written by Urobuchi, this actually captured the idea of the show fairly decently, and was overall pretty good...however that might be because I really love Gaim.

Although I could do without any of the soccer stuff, both in the opening and in the climax. And they wasted a perfectly good new Rider.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

chcoman123 wrote:
takenoko wrote:I dunno, I definitely feel like the Wizard movie was a lot better than this. It just felt more creative and had a lot more interesting moments. While this movie wasn't bad, I can't really think of any stand out moments. It just felt very predictable.
I didn't think this movie was predictable at all. I had no clue where it was going most of the time. And while, yes the Wizard movie was very creative, there was lots of wasted opportunity with it, much like the show itself. Before, Haruto believed that it was only him who can help Koyomi, but then a whole world of Mages happens, with people who can help Koyomi, and there's zero dilemma with that. That and it was boring, a special effect fest and predictable. This one was so much better, albeit having a lot of issues, as I stated before. But whatever. I thought that, for not being written by Urobuchi, this actually captured the idea of the show fairly decently, and was overall pretty good...however that might be because I really love Gaim.

Although I could do without any of the soccer stuff, both in the opening and in the climax. And they wasted a perfectly good new Rider.
technically, they wasted two, and in more than one way. because Kurokage Shin was fairly lazy in design (the only changes are what belt he's wearing and his stick has another, more impractical blade?) AND all he did was attack once, with no explanation how he even got the belt, then show up at the end to help make up for Sid and the Professor not being team players.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

Kurokage Shin was a horrible design. They didn't try at all. There was nothing new about him except for his Arms weapon.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

OOOKaiser wrote:Kurokage Shin was a horrible design. They didn't try at all. There was nothing new about him except for his Arms weapon.
"well, Kurokage Shin's not happening in the show, so we don't really need a new suit."

"if all we change is the belt, people will get upset, though."

"fine, give him a new pointy stick. in fact, make it good enough that Gaim can use that instead of the regular version when Kiwami summons it in the show. Gaim can't be using those dumb pointy sticks. I mean, come on, we need to show effort here, people."
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Well let's face it, the soccer bit was an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to cash in on the popularity of the World Cup. Considering that the World Cup started June 12, the Japanese team was eliminated by June 24 and the movie didn't come out until July 19, the fever had died down considerably.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Despite the problems this movie has, I think I still like it better than the Wizard movie (or the Fourze movie, or the OOOs movie). The plot is as daft as any Toei movie, but at least the characters have some degree of meaning to them, unlike Wizard.

Though I still don't know why Yuuya even exists...

Anyhow, I suppose it's all for the wrong reasons, but I got a good laugh out of the soccer scene. Toei couldn't actually fill the stadium and they couldn't edit in a full crowd in post, so the riders are playing in a noticeably empty stadium the entire time.:lol: (And I feel sorry for the poor schmucks trying to play soccer wearing a rider suit).
Lunagel wrote:Well let's face it, the soccer bit was an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to cash in on the popularity of the World Cup. Considering that the World Cup started June 12, the Japanese team was eliminated by June 24 and the movie didn't come out until July 19, the fever had died down considerably.
Thanks for bringing that up. Japan's performance in the World Cup makes a lot of sense in retrospect, and isn't something I'd ever think of.

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”