Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Gaim Gaiden: Zangetsu / Baron released!

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Gaim_Gaide ... ider_Baron

Man, that was good. Much thanks to Haganeya Jin (writer for Zangetsu) and Mouri Nobuhiro (writer for Baron) for helping keep the spirit of Gaim alive even without Urobuchi's direct involvement. (Both writers collaborated with Urobuchi on Gaim as a series).

I have to admit I was a bit concerned when I saw the whole thing was just a little over an hour to cover two stories. (Plus I noticed no captions or surround sound track either). So it seems like the production value might have been a bit lower on this one. But thankfully, the content is what counts, and it was well done.

That's weird. Akatsu's like a little kid. Why is she being hired as a servant? Is the dad a pervert or something?

I'm disappointed that Minami Tsukui wasn't the suit actor for Idunn, but you can't have everything.

The water droplets on Zangetsu are pretty great

Sudden bike scene? But who cares, it's awesome!

And suddenly, a wild Youko appears! The pacing for the Kaito story is a bit off, but I guess they have to cram as much stuff into it as they can. The movie's only an hour long, after all!

Thank you, Toei, for this wonderful return to the world of Gaim. It's still pretty awesome.

Edit: Noticing a few things as I translate. First, I wonder if Touka and Takatora actually liked each other. Takatora definitely seems attracted to Touka (or maybe she was the only person his age that he could reach out to). And Touka definitely seems like she regrets having to fight Takatora, but if she really loved him, I don't think she'd try to kill him.

Another thing, Touka shows up right after the Sid attack. Probably foreshadowing that she's the assailant. I mean, it's kind of obvious, since she's the only other new character in this movie. But still.

I'm glad we had that poll that lead to us using the Japanese names for the Lock Seeds. Otherwise, we'd be in a bind with the Suika Lock Seed and Watermelon Lock Seed difference here.
ImageReverse cover

ImageImage
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Gaim Gaiden: Zangetsu / Baron released!

Post by Phoenix512 »

I was thinking the exact same thing when seeing Watermelon and Suika. Man this is "Show off various prototype Lock Seeds" movie.

I imagine that the Baron part was to show off Kobayashi Yutaka's silly side along with baking skills. Also I was a bit surprised by the movie showing the abuse of Kaito's mother and Kaito's father's hanging.

I feel like Kouta and Micchi's hairstyles weren't right for the movie. I wish they used the actual Lock Seed bikes for the bike scene between Tyrant and Baron. It look too weird for them to use dirt bikes for the scene.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Really enjoyed the more somber feeling of the Zangetsu side. I would argue Takatora was developing feelings for Touka, while Touka herself definitely harbored some already, but they were overshadowed by her revenge quest. Which itself was a little, uh, short-sighted? I dunno, not a big fan of the revenge plots that boil down to "X pissed me off, so even though I already took care of him, now I must burn everything he touched even though 99% of it is unrelated to him." They seem to happen a lot in anime??
Anyway, the best twist was Ryouma's mic drop that he was raised in that facility too. Also Micchi casually foreshadowing that he's gonna try to kill Takatora later.

Baron's story was, err, interesting!? I bet Kaito's actor had a field day though. The Dragon Fruit suit was definitely the coolest original content for this gaiden. Otherwise, same ol' same ol' "power, strong/weak" speech[es].
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I love Ryouma as an unrepentant mad scientist, but I’m in awe at how they made him a sympathetic character with a complex backstory with a single line of dialogue. Sure, he’s still ruthless and borderline crazy, but he was groomed to be like that by Yggdrasil.

I know the jokes were rampant when the casting was first announced, but I get the feeling that Papa Kureshima and Papa Sonozaki must be identical cousins because their philosophies are so similar on top of being played by the same actor.

Fun stories. They made me realize just how much I miss Gaim.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Sure, he’s still ruthless and borderline crazy, but he was groomed to be like that by Yggdrasil.

I'm still kind of baffled that they're going to do a whole story for him. I feel like Toei's just going to botch that story.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Bonus footage

Post by takenoko »

Believe in my flush Kamen Rider Girls MV
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Believe_in_my_flush

This is a pretty catchy song. I don't quite know what the title means. I assume it's based on a card flush? Looks like we can blame DJ Hurrykenn for that.

Lock Seed Promos

I really wish they didn't film these in these echoy places, because the voices are too quiet. I thought to try filtering out the echo, but then realized they also put music on top of these segments. That said, I think it's fun that they brought in Shapur for one of these segments.

Unperfected World MV
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Unperfected_world

yay, more Kaito!

Ranbu Escalation Live
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ranbu_Escalation

Awesome song!
rossanav6
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by rossanav6 »

May I ask? Will the 720p version be released later? Because I almost reach my bandwidth limit..so I need to choose wisely which version to download. Thank you so much!
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

There should be a 720p released, usually in the 24h after the others releases.

So Ringo and Dragon, the same than in the movies, not that I complain, it kind of link to the movies since they're supposed to be prototype.

I loved in the Ranbu Escalation live when all the others actors just showed up, it was probably during the talk show. I know they reproduce scenes from the series in live. Kaito could even say something without the public calling "Banana".

Too bad that Touka died, but since she wasn't in the series, I guess there wasn't much ways to explain it.

The scene between Takatora and Kouta at the beginning seemed familiar. I wonder if it was in the series, or at least a similar scene.

Also, they wouldn't resist giving the actors their Rider's fruit motif with the flowers.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, the first scene is from the series. I don't remember which one, but it was during the first 13 episodes, I think.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

I think it was much later than the 13 first, since at that time, no one knew about Hellheim invasion, Micchy learned it in eps 16, and Kouta in eps 20. I think it's around that time.

By the way, I guess there wasn't any MV for Mai's song.
JustiFanV2
7X

Post by JustiFanV2 »

Excellent, I've been waiting for this! Thank you TV-N!

I think Zangetsu's story was definitely my favourite of the two, it certainly seemed to have more heart to it. It also helps for me that I can place that part into a rough point within the series, Baron's seems a little more ambiguous in that respect. Iddun makes for a cool female Rider (also interesting that hers and Baron's Ringo Arms armour each have a different look to them, even though it's the same Lockseed.)

Baron's half was a lot more light-hearted than I was expecting it to be. Wasn't really sure what to make of it half the time but it looks like Kaito's actor certainly had a field day playing a completely different personality. And I know it wasn't intended as one at all but when Alfred mentions his "organization" providing funding to Yggdrasill, please tell me I wasn't the only one who was thinking "WOOT! Foundation X!" :D
Mandalori wrote:By the way, I guess there wasn't any MV for Mai's song.
No, more's the pity. I absolutely LOVE Mai's song, I've been listening to it a lot.

I'm curious about the Kamen Rider Girls' video. I don't think I was aware of this song; it's not even Gaim related, is it? Does it come from anything in particular?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Mandalori wrote:I think it was much later than the 13 first, since at that time, no one knew about Hellheim invasion, Micchy learned it in eps 16, and Kouta in eps 20. I think it's around that time.
Oh yeah, that makes sense. My internal clock must be way off.

I don't think Believe in my Flush is used in anything. I just released it with Gaim since I think it came out during Gaim's run.
DevGryphon
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: SKYRIM!!
Quote: Define normal...
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by DevGryphon »

Believe in my Flush is the theme song for Pachinko Kamen Rider V3 Gold Version. The song came out before Gaim ended but the MV didn't come out till this past April.
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking. If you cheat, may you cheat death; if you steal, may you steal a woman's heart; if you fight, may you fight for a brother; if you drink, may you drink with me.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Nice set of movies. Liked the Zangetsu one a little better. Loved who they got to play the dad!
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

Zangestsu was great. I really believe Takatora was very underused in the series. Considering he spent a third of the series being the Overlord King's pet and another third being 'dead'. I feel this was the movie they really wanted to use the Apple Lock Seed with instead of the Soccer movie.

I always have been annoyed with the 'Hey we look like twins, let's switch places' storylines. I don't know why. Always annoy me. After the first ten minutes I was getting into the movie and actually was enjoying it...then dirt bikes.... Just... dirt bikes.

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”