Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

More Gaim Gaiden?

Post by takenoko »

So I hear they're doing Gaim Gaiden for Ryouma and Zack. And while I'm glad that we're getting more Gaim, it does strike me as odd to choose these two. Here's my reasoning, they're both extremes on an one dimensional plane. Ryouma's kind of your mustache-twirling villain. He's mad and he does everything FOR SCIENCE! Making him a sympathetic character would ruin some of that.

Zack is the opposite, he's a mini-Kouta. He's a good guy, but he's never fleshed out as anything other than "a good guy". He's more of an accessory to highlight other characters, like Kaito's leadership skills, or the stand-in for the Beat Riders once things get serious. Not that they couldn't do a good story for him, it's just that he's such a blank slate that could mean anything.

Image Image
So what do I want? I want Gaim Gaidens for Micchi and Youko. They're both extremely complex characters that are worth diving more into.

Micchi, you're supposed to find him off putting. He's cold, calculating, but his motivations are sort of understandable, if not sympathetic. They could tell a story about how he became the schemer that he is, one about the trials he went through as a traitor, etc. There's a lot of stuff to mine there.

Youko is also a person with a lot of personality, but isn't as fleshed out as much as she could be. We know what she believes in and what she represents, but we could use more background. Why does she want the things she wants? What kind of trials does she face being the person that she was? I think a whole episode devoted to her would be awesome, assuming it wasn't told badly.
Soundout
Number 6
Number 6
Quote: Henshin!

Re: More Gaim Gaiden?

Post by Soundout »

The Gaim Gaiden characters were chosen by a poll in Japan taken by people who purchased the Baron/Zangetsu Gaim Gaiden Blu-Ray/DVD
Cyclone! Joker!
veryverydanger
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite Band: Kamen Rider Girls
My boom: KRGS
Quote: I want to be a flower like that.

Post by veryverydanger »

Some of the other options on the poll would have been a lot less favorable than Zack and Ryouma (how, how did Jam get on there).
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, is that what that poll was for? Damn. I saw it, but thought it was dumb, because the prize was just a jpg of the cover art. What were the other options? (Jam?)
veryverydanger
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate

Post by veryverydanger »

According to someone who actually has it, the choices were Ryugen, Gridon, Kurokage, Knuckle, Bravo, Jam, Duke, Sigurd and Marika.

Hey, at least it's not Sid and Kougane.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

While I agree with you on Youko, I doubt it would happen, namely because she's a woman, and as history has shown us, women get the short end of the stick in most shows. Micchi doesn't really need one because his entire character was fleshed out in the series, and I both hate and like him.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, is Jam from one of the movies we haven't done yet?

I definitely feel like Youko is the most interesting character in that list. /me doesn't know what Japanese fans are thinking sometimes.

> and I both hate and like him.

Sounds like the perfect reason for why Micchi needs more story. Although, I do agree that he did have a complete arc in the series.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

I don't get why people choose Zack over so many other choices. Zack was kinda a minor character.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

He is a handsome guy. Hey, so is Zangetsu and Baron. Conspiracy?!
xPrimexTimex
Infinity

Post by xPrimexTimex »

Zack was a bit of a minor character, but he was a total bro. I like his character a lotl
veryverydanger
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate

Post by veryverydanger »

Jam is from the last episode ... Kougane was Mars in the movie, but Jam when possessing a tiny girl.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Jam would be an odd choice. Doesn't matter though. I'm down for more Gaim.
HarryFA1
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
My boom: GAIM
Quote: "This is OUR stage now!" - Kouta Kazuraba, Kamen Rider Gaim

Post by HarryFA1 »

Personally, Youko just seemed like a follower/henchman to me. She doesn't have any ambitions of her own & she didn't really do anything of her own accord. I'd say she was almost dependent on having someone to follow or serve under. The minute Ryouma 'dumps' her, she pretty much immediately fills that void by latching on to Kaito, which is the only reason she even becomes 'heroic'. And then when Kaito decides to kill everyone, she doesn't even question it, blindly following him like she did Ryouma.
I actually found her fate to be pretty fitting, she chose to forsake her independence & devout herself to solely following others, which results in her sacrificing herself for someone who, most likely, wouldn't have done the same for her.
That's to say I don't think she's a bad character, her role is well played, she's smart, she's no-nonsense & she's by far the best Female Rider we've had, since she actually kicks ass & doesn't exist solely to be a jobber, & it''s also really cool how her Actor doubles as her Suit Actor. So I can see why people like her, but I don't think she was as 'deep' as people think, & in my eyes not really interesting enough to warrant her own solo film.

Zack would be cool, not too sure about Ryouma though, I'd just hope that doesn't go the way of "W Returns: Eternal". Personally I'd want one's about either Micchi or Jonouchi. Micchi still trying to redeem himself while being reminded of his past, & Jonouchi attempting to live on in Hase's memory, I think would be really cool places to go.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Yoko and Micchi would definitely be the best bet. Although making a story on Yoko probably would have been difficult since she was introduced already in the series as Ryouma's underling, and then straight into becoming Kaito's underling, and then dead. The only possible route is to have her background story when she joined Yggdrasil. While Micchi's is definitely easier since Toei could just make a story on him after the end of Movie Wars, sort of like how The Dark Knight Returns is towards the The Dark Knight. He probably didn't got his own Gaiden since he's one of the 'character that viewers love to hate'.

Nevertheless, besides those two, I probably would have gone for Guridon too. Toei could just cook up a story of how he's struggling with his life after knowing Hase's death is partly due to his fault and how to atone for his sins. Wait, this does sound familiar.....................
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I think you two are oversimplifying her character. She did spend her time in the servitude of others, but it was by her choice. Plus she had a lot of personality and it would have been interesting to explore why she made the decisions that she did. She was definitely strong, why did she choose to serve instead? Was she hoping to become the First Woman or something of the sort? Did she actually like Ryouma and Kaito, or were they just a means to an end? There's a lot of questions there that they could have explored. Definitely more than Zack who was given the minimal of personality and background.

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”