Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Gaim Gaiden: KR Duke & KR Knuckle Released

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Gaim_Gaide ... er_Knuckle

Hmmm, how do I put this? Do you know what it's like to meet an old friend and go, "Oh hey, good to see you. Man, remember the good old days when we had fun? So, ummm... what's new with you?" and then slowly realize there's nothing relatable there anymore? It's sort of like this with Gaim Gaiden 2. It's fun to see everyone, but the spark's gone. Maybe they should have stopped ahead with Gaim Gaiden 1.

There's just nothing really compelling about Ryouma or Zack's characters. And without Kouta (he's not in it at all) and minimal appearances from Takatora, Kaito, and Mai, the world just isn't filled with its lively pillars supporting what makes it really great. What's baffling is that they introduced the twist that Ryouma was a Yggdrasill orphan. And yet... that is not even mentioned once in his personal story.

That said, there were some fun points in this Gaiden. I liked seeing more backstory from Youko and Sid. Isn't Peko's sister the girl from Hibiki/The Next? I spent an inordinate amount of time wracking my poor brain to try to figure out why she looked familiar. Edit: Oh, looks like it's someone named Maari. She was a guest on Drive, not Hibiki.

It sort of seems like Haganaya Jin tried to get around the poll by inserting a "what could have been" moment in his half of the story. Too bad we didn't see more Mitsuzane. I like how young Lemon looks like a total nerd before he meets Takatora.

I really liked the song Dance With Me, which is used for the credits.

Kind of sad to leave Gaim with this, but what can you do?

Now taking fan art for:
Ryouma and Takatora
Zack and Peko
Zack and Kaito
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Gaim Gaiden: KR Duke & KR Knuckle Released

Post by Phoenix512 »

It's interesting to note that the Zakuro Lockseed is a recolor of the Suika Lockseed while Marron is a recolor of the Peach Energy Lockseed. Also the Banana Lockseed used by Shura has no LS - 09 serial number on it.

I really did like the Knuckle one more than the Duke one. I felt that it really gave something to Zack's character that was missing from the show. I wish it did a better job of making Peko's sister a bit more important and further go into the relationship between her and Zack.

I didn't really like how they try to connect the two stories with the Black Bodhi Tree. It was fine with the first story but it was jarring when somehow he gives the Banana Lockseed to Shura. Also how these guys are still around after the main story of Gaim? I wouldn't mind it so much if they explain it somehow.

I'm wondering if Zack died at the very end of the fight because that would be a very morbid end to all of Gaim if nothing else comes out.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Why do you think Zack dies at the end? You clearly see him recover and then have a conversation with ghost Kaito. When they start dancing, ghost Kaito eventually fades away, leaving a very much alive Zack.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I feel like that whole bro-dance scene was a final dream sequence before he moves on to the afterlife.
Gottis
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: UM SNAKE DAD
Favorite Actor?: Inukai Atsuhiro
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Making music videos!
Quote: We're the Heroes of Our Time

Post by Gottis »

Personally I'm just laughing because they felt the need to add Peco's sister because of the HET. I definitely liked the Zack Gaiden more than Ryoma's, but Ryoma's wasn't without pros. All that TakaRyo >_>
Finished: All Heisei
Watching: Zi-O
Doublesteel
Infinity

Post by Doublesteel »

On the bright side, the music was exceedingly good, to the point that its depressing, knowing that they will never release the soundtrack for a gaiden.

Also loved the small detail that Jonouchi parried and dodged around that kurokage trooper.
TsubasaGaro
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: 翼 を はばたけ
牙 を むき出し
俺は 挑戦者 だ

Post by TsubasaGaro »

Whoever worked on the sound effects needs to be fired >_>

Not sure if Toei was lazy but with my headsets on, the fighting and transformation effects were extremely loud when compared to the speech, never a good thing to have. I guess it's cool Ryouma's story showed how he was an angsty prick at first, but having the CEO's son around essentially let him build a wall of arrogance without people badmouthing him as publicly as they used to. But in the end, Ryouma's story barely provided anything, it seems Kugai was thrown in just for Ryouma to spout exposition.

Zack's was definitely better, although I had no idea his leg was injured until the scene he punched Peko. It's a cool movie, I hope Gaim Gaiden Vol. 3 will have Gridon/Bravo/Kurokage, those need more stories.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I didn't notice his leg being injured either. Like there's one scene at the beginning where you see he's using a crutch. I initially translated that line to say he had bad feet or something, until Luna pointed that out.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

If I remember right. Isn't he limping throughout the epilogue episode? Like he wants to dance and stuff but he can't because of his leg.

I'm on the minority I guess. I enjoyed this Gaiden. I like seeing regular lemon. The transformation is also a nod to when Ryoma told Kaito and Kouta that he is the one that voiced the original belts. It's clear that he gave Duke a dorky jingle.

Zack was great. It was like a further epilogue. It continued the story without giving it much stress. It explains how most characters are progressing now two years after Helheim invasion and the death of Kaito. A couple things to note.
1. Jimber Marron is the only form in Gaim that continues to to be powered up after using a finisher. ((His first finisher shredded the spikes from his arms giving him fists of fire. Most other finishers in Gaim returned the weapon back to it's original form after the attack.))
2. Unless you want to count the big bad of the Duke Gaiden, Zack is now the only other rider to have a Jimber form.

I wouldn't mind a third Gaiden movie. I'm getting a feeling they want to do more with the terrorist group (What ever happened to the weapon of mass destruction?). I would love to see a Bravo/Ryugen combo. Start with Bravo and end with Ryugen stopping the group.
HarryFA1
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
My boom: GAIM
Quote: "This is OUR stage now!" - Kouta Kazuraba, Kamen Rider Gaim

Post by HarryFA1 »

I liked this a lot more than the Zangetsu/Baron one, mainly because I feel these added more to the characters rather than just being nothing stories.
Notes-

-Wow, Ryouma pretty much summed-up Youko's entire character didn't he?

-It's a good thing he & Takatora were wearing plot armor or those suicide bombers might have actually hurt them. Shame about Taka's shirt sleeve though.

-Hey who's paying for the team Baron garage? I mean as far as we know neither Peko or Zack have jobs. Is it Peko's house? Is Peko's family secretly rich?

-Why does everyone ignore what a crazy psychopath Kaito was? He beats the shit out of an entire dance team & Shura's in the wrong?
Also, "Shura, you're going to build a weapon that'l kill everyone in Zawame? You monster! Kaito would never...wait..."
Pretty much everything that Shura's doing, I feel Kaito would've done the exact same thing, yet for some reason everyone treats Kaito as if he was the freaking Messiah.

#Kaitodidnothingwrong
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I think the main difference between Kaito and Shura is that Kaito would do things himself and be upfront about it while Shura just do things underhanded or have minions do it for him. It's just a respect thing that it boils down to.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's sort of like Breaking Bad. Even if the protagonist makes some mistakes, a part of you still wants to see them succeed.

Also, Kaito did things that were wrong?!
TsubasaGaro
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: 翼 を はばたけ
牙 を むき出し
俺は 挑戦者 だ

Post by TsubasaGaro »

Watching it again I still find it slightly ridiculous that Kaito would punch out a whole dance team for not wanting any leaders, despite their warm invitation when he just jumped on and started dancing.

Shura's face is also a little too blockish and his hairstyle really doesn't fit that.
Dragg
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Gym!

Post by Dragg »

I really wanted to like Knuckle's story, but it's not really convincing when the antagonist who wants to be stronger than Kaito looks, talks, and dresses like a drag queen...
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Personally I liked the Duke episode. Ryuoma is a total ass, and you don't always need a terribly complex plot to showcase that. We get to see him continue to step on people and how he put together his little squad there, and ultimately it's just fun to have what amounted to a Team Yggdrasil episode there.

Duke on the other hand was the weaker of the two I feel. The pacing was slow, the love interest came out of nowhere, and as a movie focused around the good guy the dynamic between the protagonist and antagonist is more important here, but unfortunately Shura didn't really work there. However I do like that they never backed down from Gaim's stance that Kaito's was a strong warrior whose heart was in the right place (despite his terrible attitude), he just wasn't going about it the right way.

#Kaitodidnothingwrong

Meanwhile from the sounds of things there won't be a third movie. But if there was I'd like to see a Bravo/Malika movie. Let the adults have a movie to themselves.:P
Phoenix512 wrote:I feel like that whole bro-dance scene was a final dream sequence before he moves on to the afterlife.
That was my initial thought as well. It was very ambiguous. So far there's nothing in the Gaim universe to indicate you can talk to ghosts, which implies that he must be dead.

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”