Wiki Link
zeta_gundam
Save the life
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Ultraman Ginga 01 released

Post by zeta_gundam »

wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ultraman_Ginga_01

First things first, yeah, I know we said we weren't all that interested to do this at first. But after I watched the first episode, I kinda liked it... The rest is self-explanatory. I'd like to thank those on the team who have helped out on this project. Phoenix did the encoding, Yaiba on typesetting and karaoke (and timing for later episodes), Oga with the timing for the first episode, and the various QC'ers. Really gotta give it to Yaiba for timing the insert song too. I wasn't planning on having effects for them initially, but he decided to add effects for them too, and they look pretty awesome.

One thing to note about Ginga's schedule. The episodes are split into two parts - the first half consists of six episodes which aired from July to mid-August. The second half consists of five episodes that will air from November to December. There are two specials - one in September, and another in 2014.

Okay, now on to the actual show...

The show is set in a universe where Ultramen and kaiju do not exist, so the characters have never heard of the Ultramen. The main character, Raidou Hikaru, is one of the typical hero types - self-sacrificing, loves his friends etc. Misuzu is obviously the main supporting character to Hikaru; Chigusa and Kenta feel like they are just there. Maybe they'll be more important in later episodes.

So, all the Ultramen and kaiju have been turned into dolls by an evil force wielding the Dark Spark, and Taro seems to be the only conscious Ultraman doll. One thing unique about this set up is that Hikaru is able to transform into any Ultraman/kaiju doll that he finds. So in this episode, we have him transforming into Black King, and later on into Ginga. (Trivia: Black King appeared in the 1970 series - Return of Ultraman.) Strangely, Hikaru can't transform into Taro, nor restore Taro to his original form.

Taro doesn't seem to know of Ginga's existence. I wonder how they'll explain this later on? Also, we see Tiga in the flashback scene. Tiga's from a different universe from Taro, but he's shown fighting alongside the Showa Ultramen... Wait, now I'm confused. One thing that irks me about modern day Ultraman shows is that they are trying very hard to merge the "Showa" and "Heisei" Ultramen together. It's making continuity really confusing. The Showa Ultramen are the red and silver guys, set in the same continuity as Ultraman Mebius. The Heisei Ultramen begin with Ultraman Tiga, and they exist in different universes from the Showa Ultramen. They are seemingly merging the universes, especially with the more recent movies.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Re: Ultraman Ginga 01 released

Post by DaVinci030 »

This seems to be a good episode. Raidou Hikaru? what a good name.

So this is like a Rider War and Legend War. Too many Ultra warriors and the Kaijus... short scene? boring!
Sounds pretty sad if the Ultraman doesn't exist...

Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

What's so boring about it? It gives the background settings perfectly. That war wasn't the focus of the episode, and I don't think the reason for that war is important to this series either

Interesting concepts for this series. A fanatic figure collector has gone mad and turned all Ultraman and Kaiju into dolls collection! :P

Unlike the Rangers Keys, the Ultraman and Kaiju didn't lose their powers, they turned into dolls themselves. Taro and Valkie retained their personalities, but Black King and Darambia didn't. Were their conscious sealed away? What happened to them (and the other dolls)?

When Ginga fight Darambia they are about the same size. But in the flashback the Dark Power's is a lot larger than all Ultraman and Kaiju, and Ginga is as tall as it. It seems Ginga's original size is a lot larger than normal Ultraman

Continuity problems aside, I'm just happy to see Ultraman Tiga again.
Miyagishin
Humongous
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Suit Actors!
Quote: To overcome the intelligent by folly is contrary to the natural order of things; to overcome the foolish by intelligence is in accord with the natural order. To overcome the intelligent by intelligence, however, is a matter of opportunity.
--Zhuge Liang

Post by Miyagishin »

Yaiba wrote:
When Ginga fight Darambia they are about the same size. But in the flashback the Dark Power's is a lot larger than all Ultraman and Kaiju, and Ginga is as tall as it. It seems Ginga's original size is a lot larger than normal Ultraman
I noticed this as well, I think it's just for effect. Were not actually seeing the real battle, just given a imagined visuals to see as Taro is describing the battle.

Heck, You could make a wall scroll out of the one wide shot where you see everyone fighting.

This episode was amazing. The story is very simple and fun. It's meant for a younger audience, but has enough for me to enjoy. The characters stand out and interest me which is good.

I hope this show does well because I think it's the best example of so far of Toku that properly combines practical and digital effects. The suits are absolutely fantastic. The miniatures are stunning. The special effects look seamless and part of the world.

On a side note, thank you guys for translating the songs! You're work does not go unappreciated. This series has an amazing sound track. Especially Ginga's theme (Starts around the 20 minute mark.)

I really hope this series does well. :D
Spoiler
zeta_gundam
Save the life

Post by zeta_gundam »

Yeah, the songs were amazing, which was why I decided to add those in. Thanks again to Yaiba for adding in the effects for the insert as well. Wasn't planning on having any effects for the insert initially.

On a side note, the baddie seems to be, as Yaiba noted, the avid figure collector. I'm just wondering how hardcore collectors would collect all the Ginga Spark Doll toys... If they release all the dolls that were on display in the show, the hardcore collectors would literally have hundreds of dolls to collect...
Klanoyt
Mega
Favorite series: Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: All Kamen Riders

Post by Klanoyt »

Me want Ultraman dolls so bad now... I used to work at a toy store that sells these dolls along with the Kamen Rider Kuuga dolls, Gundams, and so on. I remember playing with a bunch of kaiju at work during slow hours even if I didn't know their names because the tags are all in Japanese. Darn, if I only had more than enough to earn during the old days. :p
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Post by DekaBreak »

One thing I'm really glad about this series is that we don't have a futile defense force. That's the only thing that puts me off about Ultraman, though the 3 minute limit is good, like MegaSilver. This one's about Hikaru's friends, and him fighting people who give in to the Dark Spark's power. Very much like Fourze and the Zodiarts. I like this new feel that isn't "bulky" like all the previous Ultra Series entries. Taro not knowing who Ultraman Ginga is very interesting. But I found it weird to see the Kaiju fly out like Ultraman does. It's also cool that Hikaru can't become Ginga as and when he likes. Ginga only releases his power in times of true danger and that's just refreshing from a few of those small scenes in the past where Ultraman would appear just to guide the monster away with no real action. Here, if we see Ginga, we know there's a real fight coming up. It satisfies fans like me craving for good characterization and strong action. I'd have liked a dark series for a change from Mega Monster Battle (which had no daily Ultraman fight), but this is great in an entirely different way. You've got me rooted, Ginga!
zeta_gundam
Save the life

Post by zeta_gundam »

Random triva: I translated "goshintai" as "idol" at first, but QC pointed out that "relic" might be a better choice. Initially, however, I didn't want to translate it.

What "goshintai" means is literally "body of kami". It's believed that the goshintai is more than just a relic or idol, but it's the physical object that the kami resides in. That's not to say that the shintai is the god itself. A real life example of shintai would be Mount Fuji. (Yes, the very mountain itself is a body for the kami to reside in.)

The point of this random trivia? It's interesting to see how Japanese culture is so intertwined in daily life. I was alerted to the meaning of shintai while reading a book called "The Samurai and the Sacred" by Stephen Turnbull. (http://www.amazon.com/The-Samurai-Sacre ... B005IUTGXO)
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

That song during the battle was sweet. Liked the battle. Shame he used some shit elemental attack and not a Specium Ray expy.

Also, big fan of the Sugita voiced prop. And by prop, I think they straight up use the DX toy. I have a feeling that this is being done on a tight budget...
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

Miyagishin wrote:
Yaiba wrote:
I noticed this as well, I think it's just for effect. Were not actually seeing the real battle, just given a imagined visuals to see as Taro is describing the battle.
i agree, i think it was for dramatic effect and not the actual sizes.

Taro now knows how humans feel around him xD.

quick establishing moments for the two main characters and quickly getting into the ginga spark. enough exposition to explain what is happening but not too much to feel heavy. and some mystery about what happened during the war.
i love the first transformation as black king. i think it is the first time were the transformation goes this way. and you have to love how he reacts to it "i'm a dinosaur? THIS IS AWESOME!"(yes, i know it is not a dinosaur).
the effects of the finisher were pretty cool. i was expecting something smaller.

about tiga being from another universe...well...this is an alternate universe, too, so things may have gone different?
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

I find the lack of special force team in the episode quite disturbing.
zeta_gundam
Save the life

Post by zeta_gundam »

toni2212 wrote:I find the lack of special force team in the episode quite disturbing.
Why? This is a universe where kaiju don't exist. Naturally, there won't be a special defence team...
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

I was very uninterested in the episode. This is the first time I've watched Ultraman. However they were doing a lot of setup with all the characters.

The fight scene however was where I thought this episode really shined. It actually looked like they had a big area to fight in instead of in Sentai where it's clear they only have a few feet.
CrimsonRider
Gao
Favorite series: KR Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: KR OOO
Dreamy: Riho Takada...
Favorite Actor?: Nao Nagasawa
Favorite Band: Rider Chips
Quote: I would change this world beginning from the core, but God just won't give me it's source code...$)
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by CrimsonRider »

Soooooooo... galaxy-themed Decade VS Tsuu Shogun who doesn't sing karaoke (or so we think for know) ? Well, that's what it looks like to me.)))
And being more serious, I must say this is also my first watch time of any Ultraman series ever. But unlike Kuchiri, i actually enjoyed it.
Well, I did know about Showa Ultrapeople, I just didn't watch any of those, and what's more, when I saw the release post, I thought that this show is just a Showa era series too - I just decided to give it a try, and then I was slightly shocked when I figured out it airs NOW. :)
Awesome series, you guys rock for fetching this up to the tracker. :!:
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

Kuchiri wrote:I was very uninterested in the episode. This is the first time I've watched Ultraman. However they were doing a lot of setup with all the characters.

The fight scene however was where I thought this episode really shined. It actually looked like they had a big area to fight in instead of in Sentai where it's clear they only have a few feet.
that's ultraman's greatest strenght. due to the suits being practical enough to move in instead of super sentai's clunky mecha suits, they have a lot of freedom during the giant fight scenes, giving us some really cool fights.

Return to “Ultraman Ginga”