Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Shougeki_Gouraigan_02

I very much imagine Gouraigan is what Den-O would be like if it were just Momotaros and Hana the whole time.

Still, I liked this episode a lot. Our protagonists have finally met and we get a little insight into each of their characters.

Rai's pretty fun in that lovable shallow way. He really reminds me of the Monkey King for some reason. Also, rai = thunder? I can't figure out what's on his jacket in his human form.

So I guess Gou's element is fire? The battle scene of the episode was pretty cool. I liked the way the floor tiles changed colors to show who was winning.

Something that does bother me about this episode are the transitions. You don't see Gou and Rai transform into humans. The camera cuts away and when you see them again, they're human. Not very satisfying. Same thing with some other scenes, where Rai is ponderous one moment, then in a duel with Gou in the next. It's not terrible, just a bit jarring.

Also lady taking off her clothes in front of the bad guy. Since he doesn't react, I don't really understand how that adds anything to the story? Or rather, we don't see his reaction. Maybe his lack of reaction is the point? I dunno. Maybe they just wanted to see the actress take her clothes off.

It's pretty great how Gou and Rai are hired by Granny at the end and Hitomi sees their forms for the first time. Oh, Hitomi means eye. I guess that's clever. (Also, Granny holds a record with a picture of a much younger version of herself)

Inoue is busting out the four kanji idioms with the episode titles. Even Gou uses one. Since this isn't Fourze, I'm not going to try for a four word title translation, but so far I've been able to get all the titles to start with D's. So I'll try to keep the titles starting with D's until that's not possible, I guess.

Edit: WTF giant battle circles with people dancing on them.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Post by Saejima Kouga »

T & A nudity warning.

During the battle, Rai reminded me of Sally from Gokaiger with the sounds he was making.

I'm still not sure what I think of this show. It's entertaining but I honestly don't know why.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Let's face it, if you watch any future episode and are surprised by nudity, it's on you XD
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Ryouko is a terrible friend with ever more terrible taste. Promising that Hitomi would pay a pretty hefty lunch bill for such a weirdo...I’d be having second thoughts about whether to hang around her in the future.

Filming those chase scenes must have been fun for the cast. You can see some of the extras giving Gou and Rai such strange looks as they run/dance past them.

That duel scene was trippy.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I have to say, I really enjoy this series so far. It doesn't take itself too seriously and hits that sweet spot between ridiculous and believable. I honestly found this episode much more interesting than Gaim's second episode.

Kinda an awkward explanation why Hitomi can't see the weirdos but it makes sense. Honestly I prefer the cut away transitions between what she sees and what everyone else sees, it's not like they're transforming at all, they're just putting on some illusions so that humans don't see who they really are.

Have to wonder how exactly Hitomi sees them though. Is it like double vision where she can see their human and alien forms? Or is it more like if she doesn't concentrate she can't see them?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I believe that Hitomi sees the monsters as we do when they're not in their human forms

What struck me as weird was how that first girl saw Rai. I thought humans couldn't see monsters? And if she can see his true form, then how did she not see through his human disguise? Sorta inconsistent?

Also, I'm surprised I didn't link this sooner.

Please enjoy some Nezumi-senpai. Yes. Same song, same guy, but disappointingly not over the top like he is in gouraigan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSVirz2TT6k
berry889
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Black
Dreamy: Mana Kazaya
Favorite Band: Dir En Grey

Post by berry889 »

LOL when she is in her period... she can't see the monster... what a plot... =)
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

So I'm a bit lost on the plot here. The convicts Gou was chasing down, they're not from his ship, are they? The only person we saw escape is Jin. But Rai clearly seems new to the world...

Otherwise that episode was pretty good, especially the chase and Rai's debauchery. It got messy near the end though; it went from the streets to a harem to a fight in very rapid order with seemingly little connecting them.

And I hope not every fight is going to be staged against a green screen? It does the suit actors a disservice to not be able to see their work clear of heavy special effects.
takenoko wrote:Also lady taking off her clothes in front of the bad guy. Since he doesn't react, I don't really understand how that adds anything to the story? Or rather, we don't see his reaction. Maybe his lack of reaction is the point? I dunno. Maybe they just wanted to see the actress take her clothes off.
Judging from what we've seen so far, I think that last statement is rather accurate. Though the fact that they left her top on (and not the rest of her clothes) is odd, even by the seemingly screwball nature of this show.
takenoko wrote:I believe that Hitomi sees the monsters as we do when they're not in their human forms

What struck me as weird was how that first girl saw Rai. I thought humans couldn't see monsters? And if she can see his true form, then how did she not see through his human disguise? Sorta inconsistent?
My take on it has been that normal humans can't see the monsters if they're trying to hide/camouflage themselves. Which is why Rai was visible there for a bit, because he wasn't trying to hide his true self. Of course the style they're using to present this means there's a general inconsistency as we're not sure if we're seeing reality or seeing the world through the narrator's eyes.
Edit: WTF giant battle circles with people dancing on them.
That's nothing. Would anyone care to explain Gou and Navi doing the Macarena 3 minutes in? :P
StereotypeAsian
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Leo
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Takano Hassei
Favorite Band: Bon Jovi
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Toku in general
Quote: 热忱之心不可磨灭,体恤弱者,互相帮助,无论与哪国的人们都能成为朋友。不要丢掉那份感情,纵然这感情被背叛过几百回,这是我不变的愿望

Post by StereotypeAsian »

I was watching this thing, I'm like, what the hell is going on?
Well, in a fun way. It's kinda all over the place, but that adds to the charm of it. I guess.
Ghost23
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ghost23 »

This isn't as serious as Garo series but seems to be pretty good, but what was that 3 amigos move when he decided to go on his search
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

Good episode, Rai is already my favorite so far.

The once a month thing was a bit TMI in my personal opinion, but if its apart of the plot, then okeydokey.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote:My take on it has been that normal humans can't see the monsters if they're trying to hide/camouflage themselves. Which is why Rai was visible there for a bit, because he wasn't trying to hide his true self. Of course the style they're using to present this means there's a general inconsistency as we're not sure if we're seeing reality or seeing the world through the narrator's eyes.
Oh, that makes a lot of sense actually. Thinking about it more, maybe the fact that he touched her also made him more visible than he would have been, since she basically danced by him obliviously the first time. Maybe it works like the camouflage system in Metal Gear Solid 3. You can blend well into the environment, but if you're actually touching someone, they're going to notice you.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:
ViRGE wrote:My take on it has been that normal humans can't see the monsters if they're trying to hide/camouflage themselves. Which is why Rai was visible there for a bit, because he wasn't trying to hide his true self. Of course the style they're using to present this means there's a general inconsistency as we're not sure if we're seeing reality or seeing the world through the narrator's eyes.
Oh, that makes a lot of sense actually. Thinking about it more, maybe the fact that he touched her also made him more visible than he would have been, since she basically danced by him obliviously the first time. Maybe it works like the camouflage system in Metal Gear Solid 3. You can blend well into the environment, but if you're actually touching someone, they're going to notice you.
The only problem with that theory is the scene in the harem where he was playing grab ass. Presumably we were seeing that from the narrator's PoV, so he would still be camouflaged. In which case the incident at the vending machine is two parts "that's normal for Japan" and one part airhead.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

This show is hilarious. You have the sensation that you don't know what are you watching, and I really like that.

BTW, Amemiya sure loves Chopin.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

I like this show. It's so funny. And Gou kind of reminds me of Momotaros. And I'm making a prediction here but I think after episode 6 the show will start rocking. It happens every time for Garo so why not Gouraigan?

Return to “Shougeki Gouraigan”