Page 1 of 2

Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:45 am
by takenoko
Wiki http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Shougeki_Gouraigan_02

I very much imagine Gouraigan is what Den-O would be like if it were just Momotaros and Hana the whole time.

Still, I liked this episode a lot. Our protagonists have finally met and we get a little insight into each of their characters.

Rai's pretty fun in that lovable shallow way. He really reminds me of the Monkey King for some reason. Also, rai = thunder? I can't figure out what's on his jacket in his human form.

So I guess Gou's element is fire? The battle scene of the episode was pretty cool. I liked the way the floor tiles changed colors to show who was winning.

Something that does bother me about this episode are the transitions. You don't see Gou and Rai transform into humans. The camera cuts away and when you see them again, they're human. Not very satisfying. Same thing with some other scenes, where Rai is ponderous one moment, then in a duel with Gou in the next. It's not terrible, just a bit jarring.

Also lady taking off her clothes in front of the bad guy. Since he doesn't react, I don't really understand how that adds anything to the story? Or rather, we don't see his reaction. Maybe his lack of reaction is the point? I dunno. Maybe they just wanted to see the actress take her clothes off.

It's pretty great how Gou and Rai are hired by Granny at the end and Hitomi sees their forms for the first time. Oh, Hitomi means eye. I guess that's clever. (Also, Granny holds a record with a picture of a much younger version of herself)

Inoue is busting out the four kanji idioms with the episode titles. Even Gou uses one. Since this isn't Fourze, I'm not going to try for a four word title translation, but so far I've been able to get all the titles to start with D's. So I'll try to keep the titles starting with D's until that's not possible, I guess.

Edit: WTF giant battle circles with people dancing on them.

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:32 pm
by Saejima Kouga
T & A nudity warning.

During the battle, Rai reminded me of Sally from Gokaiger with the sounds he was making.

I'm still not sure what I think of this show. It's entertaining but I honestly don't know why.

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:36 pm
by takenoko
Let's face it, if you watch any future episode and are surprised by nudity, it's on you XD

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:02 pm
by PHurricane
Ryouko is a terrible friend with ever more terrible taste. Promising that Hitomi would pay a pretty hefty lunch bill for such a weirdo...I’d be having second thoughts about whether to hang around her in the future.

Filming those chase scenes must have been fun for the cast. You can see some of the extras giving Gou and Rai such strange looks as they run/dance past them.

That duel scene was trippy.

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:45 pm
by Lunagel
I have to say, I really enjoy this series so far. It doesn't take itself too seriously and hits that sweet spot between ridiculous and believable. I honestly found this episode much more interesting than Gaim's second episode.

Kinda an awkward explanation why Hitomi can't see the weirdos but it makes sense. Honestly I prefer the cut away transitions between what she sees and what everyone else sees, it's not like they're transforming at all, they're just putting on some illusions so that humans don't see who they really are.

Have to wonder how exactly Hitomi sees them though. Is it like double vision where she can see their human and alien forms? Or is it more like if she doesn't concentrate she can't see them?

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:50 pm
by takenoko
I believe that Hitomi sees the monsters as we do when they're not in their human forms

What struck me as weird was how that first girl saw Rai. I thought humans couldn't see monsters? And if she can see his true form, then how did she not see through his human disguise? Sorta inconsistent?

Also, I'm surprised I didn't link this sooner.

Please enjoy some Nezumi-senpai. Yes. Same song, same guy, but disappointingly not over the top like he is in gouraigan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSVirz2TT6k

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:38 am
by berry889
LOL when she is in her period... she can't see the monster... what a plot... =)

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:57 am
by ViRGE
So I'm a bit lost on the plot here. The convicts Gou was chasing down, they're not from his ship, are they? The only person we saw escape is Jin. But Rai clearly seems new to the world...

Otherwise that episode was pretty good, especially the chase and Rai's debauchery. It got messy near the end though; it went from the streets to a harem to a fight in very rapid order with seemingly little connecting them.

And I hope not every fight is going to be staged against a green screen? It does the suit actors a disservice to not be able to see their work clear of heavy special effects.
takenoko wrote:Also lady taking off her clothes in front of the bad guy. Since he doesn't react, I don't really understand how that adds anything to the story? Or rather, we don't see his reaction. Maybe his lack of reaction is the point? I dunno. Maybe they just wanted to see the actress take her clothes off.
Judging from what we've seen so far, I think that last statement is rather accurate. Though the fact that they left her top on (and not the rest of her clothes) is odd, even by the seemingly screwball nature of this show.
takenoko wrote:I believe that Hitomi sees the monsters as we do when they're not in their human forms

What struck me as weird was how that first girl saw Rai. I thought humans couldn't see monsters? And if she can see his true form, then how did she not see through his human disguise? Sorta inconsistent?
My take on it has been that normal humans can't see the monsters if they're trying to hide/camouflage themselves. Which is why Rai was visible there for a bit, because he wasn't trying to hide his true self. Of course the style they're using to present this means there's a general inconsistency as we're not sure if we're seeing reality or seeing the world through the narrator's eyes.
Edit: WTF giant battle circles with people dancing on them.
That's nothing. Would anyone care to explain Gou and Navi doing the Macarena 3 minutes in? :P

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:14 am
by StereotypeAsian
I was watching this thing, I'm like, what the hell is going on?
Well, in a fun way. It's kinda all over the place, but that adds to the charm of it. I guess.

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:27 am
by Ghost23
This isn't as serious as Garo series but seems to be pretty good, but what was that 3 amigos move when he decided to go on his search

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:02 am
by Lunchboxx
Good episode, Rai is already my favorite so far.

The once a month thing was a bit TMI in my personal opinion, but if its apart of the plot, then okeydokey.

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:26 am
by takenoko
ViRGE wrote:My take on it has been that normal humans can't see the monsters if they're trying to hide/camouflage themselves. Which is why Rai was visible there for a bit, because he wasn't trying to hide his true self. Of course the style they're using to present this means there's a general inconsistency as we're not sure if we're seeing reality or seeing the world through the narrator's eyes.
Oh, that makes a lot of sense actually. Thinking about it more, maybe the fact that he touched her also made him more visible than he would have been, since she basically danced by him obliviously the first time. Maybe it works like the camouflage system in Metal Gear Solid 3. You can blend well into the environment, but if you're actually touching someone, they're going to notice you.

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:28 pm
by ViRGE
takenoko wrote:
ViRGE wrote:My take on it has been that normal humans can't see the monsters if they're trying to hide/camouflage themselves. Which is why Rai was visible there for a bit, because he wasn't trying to hide his true self. Of course the style they're using to present this means there's a general inconsistency as we're not sure if we're seeing reality or seeing the world through the narrator's eyes.
Oh, that makes a lot of sense actually. Thinking about it more, maybe the fact that he touched her also made him more visible than he would have been, since she basically danced by him obliviously the first time. Maybe it works like the camouflage system in Metal Gear Solid 3. You can blend well into the environment, but if you're actually touching someone, they're going to notice you.
The only problem with that theory is the scene in the harem where he was playing grab ass. Presumably we were seeing that from the narrator's PoV, so he would still be camouflaged. In which case the incident at the vending machine is two parts "that's normal for Japan" and one part airhead.

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:56 pm
by Dragonfan
This show is hilarious. You have the sensation that you don't know what are you watching, and I really like that.

BTW, Amemiya sure loves Chopin.

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 02 released

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:10 pm
by OOOKaiser
I like this show. It's so funny. And Gou kind of reminds me of Momotaros. And I'm making a prediction here but I think after episode 6 the show will start rocking. It happens every time for Garo so why not Gouraigan?