Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Shougeki Gouraigan 12 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Shougeki_Gouraigan_12

Get in the Christmas spirit. Eat fried chicken. Oh, Japan...

Another horrible episode in terms of lack of amusing moments. The fight scene was okay in that we finally get to see Jin's Kageribito form (And it sorta looks like Gou's). But overall, just another episode full of awkwardly shot scenes that fail to be entertaining. Highlight of the episode: Everyone having ice pops while the Magii looks on.

For a "comedy tokusatsu romance", it really does fail at its three goals. The special effects are sparse. The comedy childish. And the romance falls flat, since Inoue doesn't know how to write anything with genuine human emotion.

I mean, the love triangle thing would be interesting if the writing were better. The hero thinking that the heroine's in love with him, only to find out that she's in love with the villain instead, would probably make for some interesting drama. But it's so cartoonish and goofy here that it's dubious that anyone in the series "loves" each other.

I was recently watching [ur=http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star ... he-clones/]Plinkett's review of episode 2[/url] again, and it's a similar criticism. People say they love each other, but you don't see it in their actions (or in the acting). They're under a white transparent cloth, they must be in love! Some guy is on Rin's lap, they must be in love. When we see Jin lying and threatening to destroy humanity, or Gou acting like a childish wreck, we see how really vacuous their relationship with Rin are.

I mean, there's something kind of sexist about the way Inoue writes romances. Let's look at a few.
*Faiz. Kusaka and Takumi fight over Mari
*Faiz. Yuka and Keitarou. Yuka dies tragically.
*Kiva. Wataru and Taiga fight over Mio. Mio dies tragically.
*Ryuki. Just as Femme and Shinji seem to fall in love, Femme dies tragically.
Don't let this guy write your love stories.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the "if love is a sin" line is lifted from Faiz. Speaking of which, take a drink since another woman in an Inoue love story dies yet again.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 12 released

Post by Phoenix512 »

You missed out on Jetman, take. That one had some weird love connections.

Spoiler
*Red Hawk, Black Condor, White Swan - a love triangle that eventually has Red Hawk and White Swan getting married while Black Condor dies from a mugger
*Red Hawk, Maria, Gray - Red Hawk was in love with Maria before she became evil, Gray is a robot that appears to have feelings for Maria but she never acknowledges them, Maria eventually dies tragically as she remembers her former self

Got some weird first person shots in the episode which has some weird vocal effect for the person's POV. Also the coffee shop scene was very odd as well.

Did Rin end up giving Jin Gou's ball of light or I missed the point of that scene entirely?
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

What show is going to replace Gouraigan in the time slot?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

An anime called Wake Up, Girls!
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_Up,_Girls!

Farewell Yami wo Terasu Mono time slot. I have to say, you were kind of a mixed bag for me over the last year.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

I thought that this time slot was for those so called "Hyper Midnight Action Drama". Maybe, at the end of "Wake up, girls!", is replaced by Zero Black Blood.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

This episode is pretty dumb. Even though that naked Rurika is a Magii?
Dragonfan wrote:I thought that this time slot was for those so called "Hyper Midnight Action Drama". Maybe, at the end of "Wake up, girls!", is replaced by Zero Black Blood.
Zero Black Blood is not on the timeslot and is aired on Family Gekijo (ファミリー劇場), the same channel where Garo Beast of the White Night is in.
takenoko wrote:An anime called Wake Up, Girls!
Forget it. I just need to watch on either Zero Black Blood or Makai no Hana.

Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

I think I'm probably the only one on this website that has enjoyed Shougeki the entire way through. I mean the story could've been better but I like how they are also trying to be different.

I really enjoyed the fight scene.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I, uh, huh...

Take has already done a pretty good writeup on this episode, so I won't retread ground here. This series just seems to muddle along. Rin is gone and all I can think is "Ding dong! The bitch is dead." I'm pretty sure that's not what the audience is supposed to be thinking. But she was a fickle bitch throughout the entire series; there's absolutely no reason to be sympathetic to her situation, which makes her the weakest link in the triangle.

Moving on, where the heck is Gou's ball of light? If Jin has held it the entire time I may very well have to break something.

On a more positive note I did like the first-person shot, at least the first time they did it. It was an inventive way to show Gou's despair; it got tiring when they kept doing it for the rest of the triangle. The fight scene was also well done, finally reaching a level of stunt work and intensity and most of the other fights never reached.

Finally, what's up with Rurika? Did Jin turn her into a Magii? I feel like they've forgotten to explain something here. At what point did we go from "crazy woman turned on by power" to "outright monster"?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I think the implication might be that Rurika was a Magii from the very beginning? That's the only reason I can think of for him to not kill her, considering he's killed every other human that he despised
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

Kuchiri wrote:I think I'm probably the only one on this website that has enjoyed Shougeki the entire way through. I mean the story could've been better but I like how they are also trying to be different.

You're not the only one. Granted the laughs in this show are pretty cheap and the humor level is "lowest common denominator" (much the same as American sitcoms), and the show has fallen flat a couple of times, overall it's not too bad. Probably going to archive this one permanently on my external when it's finished (as I have done with Kabuto and will do with Zyuranger).
AdolfoRT
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Dreamy: Erika Satonaka
Favorite Actor?: Kenji Matsuda
Favorite Band: Queen
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by AdolfoRT »

Kamen Rider Gumo wrote:
Kuchiri wrote:I think I'm probably the only one on this website that has enjoyed Shougeki the entire way through. I mean the story could've been better but I like how they are also trying to be different.

You're not the only one. Granted the laughs in this show are pretty cheap and the humor level is "lowest common denominator" (much the same as American sitcoms), and the show has fallen flat a couple of times, overall it's not too bad. Probably going to archive this one permanently on my external when it's finished (as I have done with Kabuto and will do with Zyuranger).
I have enjoyed it too, with all its weirdness, in fact this episode is one my favorites. I liked how Hitomi faced Rin, the fight between Gou and Jin was nice and I am looking forward to the last episode.

Finding that the secretary was a magii didn't surprise me and it made sense, seeing how Jin has treated all the people he has met.
The Virginian
Go Go!

Post by The Virginian »

So next time is the final episode and they have Jin and the 1000 to defeat. That's a lot to do in one episode.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

Wow! It's the story really that bad?... Rin was really in love with Jin and not with Gou?... Jin just wanted to destroy the earth just to live in the planet with Rin and be happy?... wow... someone please explain it better or tell me that this is a joke xD.
Final Vent!
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

The last episode answers all questions.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
kirifuda
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: super sentai
2nd Favorite Series: kamen rider
Dreamy: momotaros
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Quote: i'm gonna tear down my barriers with my own hands

Post by kirifuda »

I really like this show even with it's parts that make me just roll my eyes. I didn't go into it expecting something amazing to happen or to be blown away by story. It's Inoue, what the hell were you expecting? He has no idea what he's doing anymore. It's like Agito destroyed his sense of writing and everything amazing he had he put into Ozawa and the rest of that cast. Now we're just left with him patting himself on the back.

Return to “Shougeki Gouraigan”