Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Shougeki Gouraigan 13 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Shougeki_Gouraigan_13

As far as Gouraigan goes, that was a pretty good episode. The story is pretty dumb, but at least the action was cool (And Hitomi finally does something!)

The bad parts first:
So villain pulled out of nowhere (Orphenoch King anyone?). Which means he has no motivation that makes any sense, he's just a dick. And the ending has no real resolution. So fuck you, Inoue. Another Faiz ending?! I hated it the first time!

As for the good parts:
As weird as it is, it really does tie up the loose ends in the series, such as they are. Garigari-kun gets his popsicle. The Hikaribito learn to appreciate humanity and Earth. Even Jin appears to end up with Rurika, as despicable as their characters are.

And... this series is secretly a Sentai parody. The suits and robot are cool. I guess it's nice that they weren't overdone, but I would have much rather had this than the Rin story arc. (Rin is a terrible character and her story went nowhere. The main plot is already pulled out of the ass, so why not cut this bad section out?) Hitomi and the townspeople cheering the good guys on, it was kind of fun.

The style and action were pretty good. I just wish it came in a different story package. If the show had been all directed by Amemiya Keita (like this one or the other good ones) or if the dumb unfunny comedy were cut out, this show might have been decent. But right now, I feel like it was a disappointing waste of potential with only a smattering of good bits. You'd think I'd be used to this feeling with Inoue's writing by now.

You know this series was hard to shop around when it's a blatant summer story that airs in the middle of winter. It's probably a miracle that it aired at all.

I checked to see if night fishing (yozuri 夜釣り) meant anything dirty, but I didn't see anything.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 13 released

Post by XIII »

Yeah, I didnt like that subplot of the villain of the series, just felt like they pulled it out of the air right at the end

To be fair, the Orphenoch King subplot was started in the late 30's in terms of episodes, but not really clarified till the mid 40's, hell I still feel 555 did a better job than Den-O, that shit just came out of nowhere.

I called bullcrap on the ending when I saw it, what a cop on the ending, should have ditched some of the shit from earlier eps and had a bigger build up to the final fight and just made it better all round, its like they tried to leave it open enough so they can continue if they get a 2nd season (I really hope it doesnt)

I did laugh at the mech fight, it just looked kinda bad with the CGI that it had, and whats the deal with creating new suits only to use it for 1 minute of screen time, what a waste of money, should have used that on the CGI budget
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

My favorite scene in this episode is when Hitomi reciting all of Gou's lines to cheer Gou up. It's just a quiet but strong scene.

I just rolfed through the whole mecha might. The first thing I thought is Godzilla, and the cgi is just awkward. We already had direct a sentai parody episode, and that one was so much better

Just how much budget do they have by creating new suits just to be used for 1 minute

Everything else... well... yeah...
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
Klanoyt
Mega
Favorite series: Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: All Kamen Riders
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Klanoyt »

This series is fun(ny) because it's like "do whatever crap you want as you please with your character" style. I just didn't expect them to become sentai-like in the final battle but they do look good imo. They just reminded me of the Akibarangers in the end though. Glad it's over so no more weird seductive moaning scenes for no reason. :p
dat20091
Go Go!
Quote: "Where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns... yet by the blade of Knights, mankind was given hope..."

Post by dat20091 »

The monster was totally godzilla based, with the spike on the back and everything, I loled so hard, and then the suits i was like, awwwh crap it's sentai vs godzilla

The show overall has it's good points because it's fun/funny to an extent and they didn't really care a lot about it really, like that 1 horror episode suddenly turned into a sentai parody, i was like, how, what, but it still worked out

The overall story of the show was just kinda ehhh, didn't really cared for it since it was just all over the place and wasn't good overall, unless they intended to have it be written that way

It was a still a pretty enjoyible show though :)
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

What does the front page image say about going about purchasing the rings? (ie internet address).
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

It's the url in English XD

http://www.jap-inc.com/SHOP/94056/list.html

Edit: Oh, it's Digital. The magazine spelled it wrong.
XerBlade
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Faiz
Dreamy: Tatsulot
Favorite Actor?: Ishida Akira
Quote: Kamen Rider Meteorologist! I will decide your forecast!
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by XerBlade »

When the announcer said that the BR/DVDs would include "Making-Of" extras, I couldn't help thinking, "Wasn't that already in the broadcast version?"
Watching
Kamen Rider: Saber

Complete
Kamen Rider: All Black and later
Sentai: Shinkenger,Gokaiger,Magic Kaito VS Detective Conan
Garo: All
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

I liked how action-y this episode was.
Those matching suits were odd. I don't really get why they were made. The mecha was pretty cool. I figured they'd each individually get bigger to fight the army but whatevs. Godzilla guy was pretty interesting looking. I dunno why but i felt like he coulda been a pokemon

For me, I liked how playful the show was. With nothing being really serious I didn't have to expect much.

Although I will say this, the world of Shougeki could have easily been one that could have been a much more serious story. Which is something I'd like to see. But overall it's done and I think a break from the what-the-fuckery is a good thing.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Honestly I feel like this show had so much potential and they managed to fritter it away on ridiculous filler episodes and a rather asinine focus on boobs. Don't get me wrong, I like boobs, but they're rather like icing. When you have a good cake with icing then it's great but if you have a cake of only icing you tend to get tired of it rather quickly.
squashy
Gabu
Dreamy: Koyomi-tan~
Favorite Actor?: Takamasa Suga
Favorite Band: Fall Out Boy
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Chokushi no Magan
Quote: I'm full of motivation!

Post by squashy »

Better ep than the last ep and an okay ending for this show! Well, it was short and not all that enjoyable, but I did have good laughs. Such a strange show :)
Image RIDER HEADBUTT!!!
narya100
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Dreamy: Nadeshiko
My boom: Kyouryuu Theme
Quote: I will always stretch out my hand...
Type: INFP Healer

Post by narya100 »

Do any of you think there will be a real ending hidden in the "orignal" footage thats supposed to be in the bluray? I feel like the whole 1000 soldiers needed more wrapping up than ok so we have a very large megazord thing, we win? Overall as a series, I'm not totally sure what to think. Also, the primary antagonist getting a somewhat happy ending isn't bothersome, but just odd. I did like the "sentai" costumes and could stood to see more of them. Like a whole series with them. Maybe some day Toei will make a Jewel themed sentai. I just feel like it didnt end, it stopped. It felt like the end of Final Fantasy 12-2, no major resolution. Is anyone seriously happy with the ending?
Completed Kamen Riders: Kiva, Den-O, Decade, Double, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Completed Sentai: Magiranger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters, Kyoryuger
Completed Other: Shougeki Gouraigan

Current Series: Tokkyuger, Gaim, Garo, Garo: Makai no Hana
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

narya100 wrote:Is anyone seriously happy with the ending?
I can't say that I am.

I don't want to be too hard on this series, but man, what a mess. It started out well enough, but once Gou formed his sentai it just got too scatterbrained. It's possible to do funny and even wacky while still maintaining some kind of focus (see: Akibaranger).

The humor was for the most part lackluster, the story was a mess, and the action sequences were weak. I do want to like the series, but it needs to have done something well. That it could do a great job with neither the action nor the humor weighs heavily on it.

I will however continue to give them credit for "gattai", as that's hilarious for all the wrong reasons. :lol:

PS I am hereby coining the phrase "Pisstoku"
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I think this series was probably worth it if only for the gattai scene.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm probably blind here, but where exactly does the Magii finally get a popsicle? We see him at the banquet, but I've yet to notice him even holding one.

Oh, and is the actor playing Shinkai King supposed to be anyone of historical significance like Jin's actor was?
takenoko wrote:You know this series was hard to shop around when it's a blatant summer story that airs in the middle of winter. It's probably a miracle that it aired at all.
Thank you for explaining that. The fact that the show is copyright 2012 has been weighing on my mind the entire time; going nearly a year and a half between filming and airing seemed extremely odd. I had assumed this was a work for hire made specifically for the broadcaster, but your explanation makes a lot of sense.
I checked to see if night fishing (yozuri 夜釣り) meant anything dirty, but I didn't see anything.
Given the show, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something dirty anyhow. Pole jokes, and what-not. :shock:

Return to “Shougeki Gouraigan”