Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Shougeki Gouraigan 13 released

Post by takenoko »

>I'm probably blind here, but where exactly does the Magii finally get an popsicle? We see him at the banquet, but I've yet to notice him even holding one.

He's eating one at the end on the beach. It's kind of funny because he doesn't have it in one shot, but then after a brief shot of the Hikaribitos and Navi, there's a side shot of them on the beach and he's waving it around half-eaten. I think he might even have a bit of it in his mouth. And he's still enjoying it in the last shot with Hitomi becoming big. For his "arc", that pretty much was the perfect timing for it, leaving the end with a "all's well that ends well" feeling. If only the same could be said about the actual sub plots.

>Oh, and is the actor playing Shinkai King supposed to be anyone of historical significance like Jin's actor was?

What? Is Jin's character supposed to be a historical figure?

I think Shinkai King is a reference to King Kai or World King from Dragon Ball Z. It's pretty much the same name, except it's got a Shin affixed to it. Both of their names in kanji basically mean "ruler of the world" (or maybe "ruler of the true world" for shinkai-oh)

It's actually luna who first commented on the summer being postponed to winter thing. But it's pretty blatant considering how much summer is in this, and how at odds the timing of the airing it has. Plus when working on the wiki, I noticed that the filming for this series ended last year, according to actor blogs and stuff. So it seems like it took a while for it to lift off the ground.

One thing that might be interesting to look back upon are the Hitomi diaries that exist at the end of the episodes. The one at the end of the first episode is labeled July 3rd. Second says July 4th. Episode 6 jumps to July 17th and has a picture of the sushi banquet that they have at the end of the episode.

Episode 8 talks about the Pikaman stuff that happened in that episode with a July 23rd date. Skipping to the end, the last one in episode 12 says September 1st and is about the Hikaribitos' fight with the 1000 Soldiers. So the diary itself covers about 10 weeks, although there's no diary for the last episode. So my guess is they were aiming for a July through September airing schedule, since that's one quarter block of the broadcasting year.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:What? Is Jin's character supposed to be a historical figure?

I think Shinkai King is a reference to King Kai or World King from Dragon Ball Z. It's pretty much the same name, except it's got a Shin affixed to it. Both of their names in kanji basically mean "ruler of the world" (or maybe "ruler of the true world" for shinkai-oh)
I mean, if I were Japanese would I recognize the actor from some previous Toku? e.g. Jin being Black Condor, etc.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, I see what you mean now. Looking at his wiki profile, I don't recognize anything he's been on besides Trick:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%86% ... A.E6.BC.94

Oh, the actor's name is Terry Itou btw, but I figure you knew that since you read our wiki. I'm just saying it for anyone who's just reading the forum thread.
gh0stwrit3r
Kamen Knight
My boom: Grounded

Post by gh0stwrit3r »

I liked the matching suits. I've always imagined what other people would have done if they were given a sentai plot to work with. Shou getting a pink suit seems odd though, seeing as she wore white the whole time.

The giant fight was sloooooooooooow as hell. it felt like they were dragging it on to fill the rest of the episode.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

ViRGE wrote:
takenoko wrote:What? Is Jin's character supposed to be a historical figure?

I mean, if I were Japanese would I recognize the actor from some previous Toku? e.g. Jin being Black Condor, etc.
Not if you see Toku, but he's wll-known in japanese variety shows. I don't see much of them and I know him.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

Probably we need to appreciate the series for what it is a parody after all. The characters were great and they reminded me a lot to Den-O! so much that I'm re watching Den-O right now.

The final boss was random and they even took time to troll during the final episode and the incomplete ending was lame but probably they leave it open for a sequel xD.

Anyway "Nekomatagi Rescue Team: Pikaman!" was a great show but too short... :)
Final Vent!
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by jolly_old_saint »

Mr. Winner, is there anything you're not in?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldFQGTTeXK4

Well, I liked the show...'s eyecandy and theme song. But as grand powers go, theirs is somewhere above courage and somewhere below success as a traffic safety instructor.
Spoiler
Oh, snap! He went there!
JustiFan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by JustiFan »

Well there it is. A lot of that finale stuff just totally came out of nowhere and I'm still not really sure how I feel about it. Had to laugh with the giant monster though: as soon as Gou & Co.'s ship arrived I immediately thought to myself, "Oh God, it's going to turn into a giant robot, isn't it?" - and, oh look, it did just that! :lol: Looked like they were trying to pull off a low budget version of Pacific Rim.

I did like the new suits introduced at the end though, brief and pointless as they were. I am so going to write a Power Rangers fic using those someday.

Farewell Gouraigan, you've been... quite a trip!
Weather
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite Actor?: Tomoyuki Dan
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Post by Weather »

And it ended with overall "meh" episode, a series that was using the full potential of having actors and suit actors (final scene at hot springs, so much awesomeness). I was suspecting that Jin won't be the true villain of the series, but i was thinking it was Rin, but nope, the king is, out of nowhere, and he tirns into godzilla parody, maybe i would like it, if his design while fighting Gon-tachi wasn't so awesome. Also, Hitomi wasn't Gou ball of light. So she being able to see Hikaribito and etc., has no explanation. Fight wasn't realyy that good, i liked the design of SHougeki Gouraigan, but i was expecting them to combine into 1 being, and fight wasn't realyy that good. Not to mention lots of thing that wasn't used, for example Gou body (in 1 fight, eyes appeares on his horns, also the story behind Gou and Jin swords, they loked to me like a living beings). And of course, the ending that won't show them, fighting against 1000 soldiers...... This series has so many things in it, that wasn;t used becos of it being just 13 epsiode show, if it was longer, at least 26, then we could get so much mor einto the world of hikaribito, and they lives.... Great costumes, that we was seeing a lot becos they never actually transformed, interactions between them with people, in bito and they human forms.... And all of it, combined to imo meh series becos of whole Rin plot, and lots of bad humor here and there. Whats good in this series, is very good, but there is waaaay too much bad and it's way to big for me to look on the positives. Finally it's over, shame, but not everything can be gold.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

I still have nothing to say about this series. It's just... RANDOM! And then the music video, I didn't realize it was the main girl who was singing it.
Arawynn
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Garo, KR Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger
Dreamy: Kouga, Tetsu
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Arawynn »

This was one truly horrible show in terms of plot and acting. Except for the special effects there was nothing worth watching here...even the special effects couldn't hold the show towards the end in my opinion. The op and ed songs were good though.
KR - Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-o, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze Sentai - Dai, Time, Gao, Hurrican, Aba, Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-on, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Gobust Other: Garo, Garo: Makai Senki
sentaidragon
Go Go!
Favorite series: kamen rider
2nd Favorite Series: sentai
Dreamy: all girls :p
Favorite Actor?: i have more than one
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by sentaidragon »

i don't get this show at all... but i like gou's shirt... want it soooo badly xD....
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Considering they sell everything else, I wouldn't be surprised if they sold Gou's shirt too.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

They don't actually, the only official merchandise is those dumb rings.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That's weird. I swore I saw Gou's shirt on sale at some point.

Return to “Shougeki Gouraigan”