Toqger 01 departing now

Den-O reincarnated! Den-O will never die!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Kyouryuuger | Toqger | Ninninger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
TAKBonez
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: Kyouryuuger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Fourze
Dreamy: Luka Milfy
Favorite Actor?: None
Favorite Band: Punk & Crust
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: Hime hime hime, suki suki daisuki, hime hime
Type: ESFP Performer

Re: Toqger 01 departing now

Post by TAKBonez »

KR_Karasu wrote:I heard the grunts' name as Crow, in English.
That could potentially make sense with kuro being black/ a crow is black. Could also be some train/historical reference. Just saying the grunts names might need some further research, but it's only the first ep so all cool.
Last edited by TAKBonez on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

TAKBonez wrote: Like I said tho it just seems odd to me when I know what it means and has a clear translation.
If you can't understand why, perhaps, the translators wouldn't want to have the faceless horde of evil grunts be called "blacks", I don't know what to tell you.

"Oh no, General Schwarz sent out his cadre of vicious Blacks! Remember, guys, around Blacks, never relax!" Racist Sentai KKKger!
TAKBonez
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club

Post by TAKBonez »

dancercotillion wrote:
TAKBonez wrote: Like I said tho it just seems odd to me when I know what it means and has a clear translation.
If you can't understand why, perhaps, the translators wouldn't want to have the faceless horde of evil grunts be called "blacks", I don't know what to tell you.

"Oh no, General Schwarz sent out his cadre of vicious Blacks! Remember, guys, around Blacks, never relax!" Racist Sentai KKKger!
I think most people are smart enough to not make that assumption, but w/e. The other guy might have a point with the "crows" thing
Last edited by TAKBonez on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zelalem
Infinity
Favorite series: EHH...TOO MANY!
2nd Favorite Series: EVEN HARDER!
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama
Favorite Actor?: Joe Odagiri
Favorite Band: The Seatbelts
My boom: Cowboy Bebop
Quote: Hate is baggage. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time.

Post by Zelalem »

Wouldn't it be better to stylize the name as "ToQGer" rather than "Toqger" as well as having fonts that aren't the same as Kyouryuuger? Also should it be Yokohama Ryuusei, not Yokohama Ryusei?

I liked this episode when I was watching it, but as I was thinking about it and after re-watching bits of it, I realized that this episode wasn't all that good. I felt the ToQGers were just watered down versions of other sentai rangers

For example: Right is very similar to Alata without the likability, Tokacchi is kinda similar to Nossan, Mio is Luka, Hikari is Souji, and well Kagura is the only original one (though very close to resembling Umeko)
Last edited by Zelalem on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

That's all I have to say xD.
Weather
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite Actor?: Tomoyuki Dan
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Post by Weather »

Zelalem wrote:For example: Right is very similar to Alata without the likability, Tokacchi is kinda similar to Nossan, Mio is Luka, Hikari is Souji, and well Kagura is the only original one (though very close to resembling Umeko)

Can't say i agree with that, i don't know where you get that similarity between Tokacchi and Nossan. Toka is supposed to be the smart guy, who isn't that smart (but might become as the show progress), Nossan rushes at enemies with his strenght, and makes bad puns, other than the colors, i don't see that. Also with greens, Hikari isn't a serious type (at least in my opinion), he's rather the type that isn't used to teamwork, so he goes to action, with hin plan without even saying a word. But yellows from this and Gokaiger are similiar.
Zelalem
Infinity
Favorite series: EHH...TOO MANY!
2nd Favorite Series: EVEN HARDER!
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama
Favorite Actor?: Joe Odagiri
Favorite Band: The Seatbelts
My boom: Cowboy Bebop
Quote: Hate is baggage. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time.

Post by Zelalem »

Well for Tokacchi and Nossan it's more of the fact that he's the older and more awkward one and Hikari and Souji are the chill ones (despite Souji being very pissy at times).
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

ToQger with the big q looked ugly to me so we got rid of that.

Went with Kurous now Crows because there's no Crow in the design. It's just a modification of the Japanese word Kuro which means black, which they mindlessly say in the background (Kuro kuro kuro kuro)

It's Yokohama Ryusei because that's how he appears to officially spell his name. This is based on the way they spell his names on official websites and from the promo flier where his name is in English
http://ameblo.jp/ryusei-yokohama/

Working on the wiki, it just made sense to start using whatever spelling Japanese people use for themselves. It just makes more sense that way, since it's really their decision for what they call themselves.

Did I forget anything else?
TAKBonez
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club

Post by TAKBonez »

takenoko wrote:ToQger with the big q looked ugly to me so we got rid of that.

Went with Kurous now Crows because there's no Crow in the design. It's just a modification of the Japanese word Kuro which means black, which they mindlessly say in the background (Kuro kuro kuro kuro)

It's Yokohama Ryusei because that's how he appears to officially spell his name. This is based on the way they spell his names on official websites and from the promo flier where his name is in English

Did I forget anything else?
Ok just keep it in mind incase something comes up that points it as Crow and being a reference to something. Also it may look bad to you, but the "Q" might be uppercased for a reason and might be important later on. Doubt it just personal speculation. That, I could care less about.
Merisusa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: PGSM / Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze / Gokaiger
Dreamy: Nephrite / Yumeria
Favorite Actor?: Masato Wada
Favorite Band: Yuzu / Daft Punk
My boom: Gekiga
Quote: We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. -Oscar Wilde

Post by Merisusa »

Takenoko beat me to this somewhat... But...

The grunts name is Kuros as a continuation of the naming scheme of the rest of the villians... It would have been silly to translate one foreign word for black and not all the others. Also the Kuros designs are actually supposed to be based on American Western period train robbers/bandits. Even though they would also appear to have a smattering of Prohibition era gangster to them too. Not sure why people keep seeing crows within the design of these guys.
Sauce
Yakiniku Wizard
Yakiniku Wizard
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Megaranger/Boukenger
Dreamy: all da lady
My boom: Sentai
Quote: "Super Hungry, Gyudon Changer!"
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Sauce »

I like it, nothing seems as bad as people expected. Any complaints someone has at this point (suits, mecha, villains, "i dont liek red", etc.) are complaints that apply largely to sentai as a whole.
I think what jumped out to me the most is that the music/sound stuff really makes the show work.

My only complaint is that I don't understand the purpose of the color changing gimmick. It's interesting and it's nice that they're doing something a little different, but is it just to diversify toy sales or something? Make colors besides red appealing to the kids? I say "complaint", but it doesn't really bother me, I just don't get why.

As far as naming decisions go, I could have preferred that capital Q but it's hardly a big deal and all that I really care about is consistency on it. Kuro/Crow is a trivial difference, nobody should care what the grunts are called anyway. They're not straight up birds and it's never really going to matter, so I think Kuro is a safe bet.

Really looking forward to more. Using my IMAGINATION to pretend people aren't still spewing unwarranted whining about this series.

Edit: also the girls are cute btw that's hella important just putting it out there
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Nah, there's no crow in the design. People are calling it crow because if you look up the katakana for the grunts name in a dictionary, it spits out crow in the dictionary. So they just assume that's what it means

In fact, the first version of the script had crow in it, but I thought it didn't make sense since they're not crows or birdlike in anyway. Plus there's the pattern that you previously mentioned.

Still no idea what the deal is with Gritta. In the first version of the script, I wrote Glitter, thinking they were breaking convention with her. But her name in Japanese is one dash short of being the spelling for Glitter, so I'm confused as to what it could be.
Sauce
Yakiniku Wizard
Yakiniku Wizard
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Megaranger/Boukenger
Dreamy: all da lady
My boom: Sentai
Quote: "Super Hungry, Gyudon Changer!"
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Sauce »

takenoko wrote:People are calling it crow because if you look up the katakana for the grunts name in a dictionary, it spits out crow in the dictionary. So they just assume that's what it means
:/
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

According to whoever writes the power-rangers wiki, Gritta comes from the Spanish word "negrita".
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I've heard that, but that seems super forced. All the other words are obviously what they are. Plus Negrita means "bold face" or whatever. It just takes too many steps to miss the mark by a mile.

Return to “Ressha Sentai Toqger”