Toqger 01 departing now

Den-O reincarnated! Den-O will never die!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Kyouryuuger | Toqger | Ninninger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Re: Toqger 01 departing now

Post by DekaBreak »

This is fun. I like it. Of course not hooked the way I was to Shinkenger but still. Perhaps it is BECAUSE of Shinkenger I like this.

So many Shinkenger throwbacks. The narration at the opening was similarly worded as the Shinkenger explanation on crevices and their link to the Sanzu river. Kobayashi style.
Using crying, and kids. SO SHINKENGER/older sentai
Expanding the Shadow Line: Overflow Sanzu River again?
Imagination as an innate power that manifests: More abstract Ki than DaiRanger or Mojikara.
Crying baby piles up on monster: Shinkenger 13 Ayakashi babies.
Was the MotW's Voice Actor on Shinkenger's Ayakashi list? Heard that voice before. Was he, Hitomidama from Shinkenger 9?
Kuros repeating their names like Nanashi and Goumin.

So for all that and so much more, thank you, Team Shinken for all the homages. Kisskisskiss. Love Shinkenger.

Quite a good episode, Right's optimism seems grounded, not air headed like Alata (phew). Oh please, CUT DOWN ON HIS LIPSTICK. Apart from that, I think I'll grow to like this series, get a bit darker, balance out like Shinkenger. That was dark but still felt natural. Right now it's fine. A BIT darker and It'll get it's spot in the top 5. Then se if it can displace Dekaranger, nothing will dethrone its cousin Shinkenger.

Forgive me - I have said Shinknger more than ToQger. (I like to spell it this way), but that's just how ,ugh I love them and am happy to have the staff reunited. Action Director changed, but the new dude was ShinkneRed, so it's fine. So far, ToQger: Appare!
Arawynn
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Garo, KR Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger
Dreamy: Kouga, Tetsu
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Arawynn »

Did they explain why Right was in the train with the kidnapped kids? Maybe I should watch the ep again to check.
KR - Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-o, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze Sentai - Dai, Time, Gao, Hurrican, Aba, Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-on, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Gobust Other: Garo, Garo: Makai Senki
Glutinus
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: Dream team : GokaiYellow (Luka), DekaGreen (Sen-Chan), ShinkenBlue (Ryunosuke), BoukenPink (Sakura). Red is vacant :)

Post by Glutinus »

I really enjoy this first episode. However I liked a much kyoryuger first episodes but then get disinterested just after.

I really like the villains (generals like mooks) appearance. Much way better than the ToQger :-/

Haha, Tokatti, don't just jump off the train !

OK, so with Imagination Right finally decided to switch color ? But just... why ?
And you're right... nobody knows who's nobody. In the middle of the fight, you don't have time to look at their numbers !

Wow ! Already the mecha fight ?

I'm glad I just began Den-O. Everybody seem make a lot of comparaisons. I will watch it later :)

KR_Karasu wrote:It would be interesting if they are, in fact, still the children from the flashback and are only older in their imaginations.
You've pointed something very interesting here !
Arigomi wrote: Overall, there is a lot of potential for fun but the toys are just baffling:
Spoiler
[ Image ]
Ha! Ha! You just made my day :D

Fav Sentai 1st : Gokai, Deka, Bouken, Go-Busters, Kyuu, Shinken, Gosei, Gao.
Fav KR 1st : OOO, W, Kiva, Gaim, Drive, Fourze, Den-O20*, Wizard, Ghost, Ex-Aid
Fav Garo 1st : Yami, Senki, Hana, Garo, Zero
* currently watching.
zigmenthotep
Adventure

Post by zigmenthotep »

Arawynn wrote:Did they explain why Right was in the train with the kidnapped kids? Maybe I should watch the ep again to check.
Not as far as I saw, not did they explain why he had the secret base ticket, or why they're all wearing the same clothes as when they were kids and didn't immediately recognize each other, or know how they got there.
I'm expecting a lot of explanation from episode 2, explanation and a sexy robot.
shadow1w2
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Drive

Post by shadow1w2 »

Analyzing the story and clues we have so far I have a good hunch they all died as children since they all kind of act like children for some reason. Maybe even a bit too much at times.
Though that might be a bit too dark but maybe they are still kids and the entire thing is in their imaginations and the darkness represents death looming over them while in a comatose state.
The incident with the tree, the fact they have some memory issues and they all just woke up there all seem like strong clues.
Then again I could be reading into it too much and they were all picked cause of their likeliness to fail lol. (Maybe ticket choose them?)
Considering Right was on that train in the first place has to be a clue of some sort.

Course we'll find out next episode.
I have to admit the "good as dead" thing has me curious enough to see the next episode.

As for Gritta I have a hunch she'll use some imagination power at some point.
Heck what if she ends up the sixth ranger?
Lol ya that makes no sense but admit it that would be kind of a funny twist.
Apparently I have too much imagination myself, I should have that checked.

I enjoyed the last three seasons as I got into watching them thanks to Gokaiger (and re watching Gekiranger) but I don't think I'll be following this one as closely.
Don't think I'll be able to stand the roll calls so much what with the names being called out twice for each like that.
Still worth checking out now and then though for sure.

Oh and one last thing, the suit and power switching thing, while it does seem to be a battle tactic to confuse the enemy it really seems like nothing more than kids trading toys.
Really don't see how it can be used effectively unless they could say use their weapons in different ways depending on the user but then why go to the trouble of switching suits when one could just swap weapons?
Maybe they'll have special moves and powers later on that change per user to make use of that gimmick.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

DekaBreak wrote:Was the MotW's Voice Actor on Shinkenger's Ayakashi list? Heard that voice before. Was he, Hitomidama from Shinkenger 9?
No.
You're thinking of Ryuzou Ishino while Bag Shadow was voiced by Hisao Egawa.
evel333
7X
Favorite series: Dairanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Type: INTP Architect

Post by evel333 »

My 5-year-old daughter is still wondering what happened to Gokaiger and Fourze :p

I'm liking the "still kids" theory. It would explain the simple suits & mecha design (Go-Buster Ace is shedding a tear) as well as the overall lighthearted nature of the protagonists; the way they sort of stand around thinking "um" instead of springing into action or the defensive like a more mature sentai, and how Kagura is way too cowardly for even a teenager, much less an adult. Most importantly, it's the most logical inference why Right was onboard the same train as the other kidnapped children.

The "all dead" or "In a coma" theories are a little grim, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if they went that route, given the head writer is the same from Shinkenger and gave us one of the greatest sentai twists in recent years with
Spoiler
Takeru not being the real Shiba head.

I disliked the first charge into battle after the roll call; compare that to the one from Gokaiger and it just seems flat and weak. Great team pose though. So unique and fresh.
Last edited by evel333 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MythrilMoth
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by MythrilMoth »

I'll admit that going off the promo materials, I had severe doubts about this series. The ugly 80s Transformers Brick mecha, the bizarre helmets...finding out about the color change gimmick didn't help matters.

Then I found out the head writer did Shinkenger and Go-Onger. I got optimistic.

I can now happily say I enjoyed the first episode of ToQger and will be coming back for more. The premise is fresh, the bombshell about the team's living/dead status is interesting, and in general I had a lot of fun with the first episode.

The color change gimmick is still pretty WTF-inducing, though.

Kagura is my favorite. She's just so ADORABLE! "Poke...poke...poke..." She has a certain Fluttershy-ish quality.

Why are the mooks V For Vendetta cosplayers?
Netto no Zen-Aki
Gabu
Favorite series: Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Rider
Quote: "We cannot change the past, for it is written in stone. So we look to the future, for it has yet to be written."

Completed:
KR- Ryuki, Kabuto, Kiva, Den-O, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
Sentai- Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-On, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Go-Bust, Kyouryu, ToQger
ETC- Ryukendo, Rescue Force, Rescue Fire, Garo, Garo: Makai Senki, Garo: Yami

Current:
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger
Kamen Rider Ghost

Post by Netto no Zen-Aki »

TAKBonez wrote:
Netto no Zen-Aki wrote:-Love the design of the bad guys. Was kind of freaked out by the large "little girl" of the bad guys. Heard the small cutesy voice, expecting something similar to Candelilla, but nope.
I saw that abomination and was like what the fuck is that?, then thought
Yeah, a lot of fire.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

I think when ticket said they are as good as dead, he meant they snatch those five from a second or so early from their dying moment and made them sentai (a theme that was popular with some seinen and some shounen anime as well as a couple of hollywood movies)
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

Yeah about the good as dead thing. I've been thinking ,not too seriously though, that the main cast is already dead. Right had them climb the tree and they fell and died. Somehow imagination pops up and changes them.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

I'm actually thinking only Right is in a coma and since he watched Den-O and Go-Onger he is in a weird dream like state where he and his friends are adults using Go-Onger/Den-O like abilities.

This show has the potential to become epic. I'm not 100% sold on it yet.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

I hope Gritta ends up getting a human form when she grows up.

I suspect the colour switching gimmick will be downplayed (or even forgotten) after the first few episodes, as these type of gimmicks often are. Maybe to resurface a few times for plot convenience.

I also prefer ToQger with the capital Q - too easy to see it as "Tokger" with the lowercase q.
CuervaLocura
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: DekaRanger
My boom: Kamen Rider Sigurd
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by CuervaLocura »

I really like the venetian/victorian/baroque/steam-punkish desing of the villians. Really, really dig it. More than the looks of our heroes which is a first for me.
But then it could be because I'm adult and when I see my 5 year old daugther playing...well...I think I was like Hana's mom...

Damn.
kamenriderotaku
7X
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: GOOOOOOOKAIGER!
Dreamy: Naomi
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Shu
Favorite Band: Weird Al
My boom: Making KR Suits
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by kamenriderotaku »

My personal theory is that it is just Right in a Coma from when he fell from the tree. The others are Figments of his imagination and the fall happened like 4 days before episode 1. That is why all the TQG still have child like behaviors, such as "____ Girl" power. The kind of nerdy one going step by step through the actions like he is reading a manual to fight villians.

Also I think the color scheme change is going to be quite interesting as each color seems to have it's own power. As with the Green Pink transfer. Green has quite a heavy weapon and Pink felt "so much lighter." Blue Once again seemed like the sniper of the group with how he stayed with the laser through most of the fight. I do like how the final attack will be something different for each monster. Kinda gets that JAKQ feel to it. Just a theory at this point but I think the plainish suits will eventually lead to the super form of RainbowGou.

Return to “Ressha Sentai Toqger”