Ressha Sentai Toqger VS Kamen Rider Gaim released

Den-O reincarnated! Den-O will never die!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Kyouryuuger | Toqger | Ninninger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
berry889
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Black
Dreamy: Mana Kazaya
Favorite Band: Dir En Grey

Re: Ressha Sentai Toqger VS Kamen Rider Gaim released

Post by berry889 »

"everyone is having fatigue" LOL at you Takatora...
Gottis
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: UM SNAKE DAD
Favorite Actor?: Inukai Atsuhiro
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Making music videos!
Quote: We're the Heroes of Our Time

Post by Gottis »

bluegreen wrote:
takenoko wrote: Speaking of towns, I thought one of the plot twists would be that Right and the others were from Zawame. And their secret base was either the shrine tree or Yggdrasill Tower.
I started to wonder about that too when I saw the drawing of the tree. They do look a lot like the same tree and it would explain why they can't find it.
That was my thought too!! :D
Finished: All Heisei
Watching: Zi-O
CeronosLive
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by CeronosLive »

...You know, I've thought about this jokingly before, but I'm seriously starting to think that Narutaki was always just some big troll. xD

I really missed when VS specials gave the two different series plenty of time to interact with each other. Honestly I think they should of had these kind of specials starting with Fourze/Gobuster when the Kamen Rider vs Super Sentai movie came out.

Kind of wish Kaito or Takatora were around when the Toqgers were fighting, just to see how they'd react to the usual sentai dickery. xD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

MadCow wrote:I don't watch Toqger but what was this Imagination moment that Right and Kouta had before rescuing Mai? Was it an actual power, like some form of mental precognition thing, or just Right's equivalent of a moral peptalk?
It's mostly Right's weekly peptalk. It kind of makes sense, since you can't do something that you can't imagine yourself doing first (unless it's by total accident).

I totally liked how the monster of the week did the one thing that would piss off all three of the main Riders. Everyone loves Mai~
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

"Who are you?" "I am Narutaki, ally of all Riders" Are you? Cause every time you show up you randomly seem to transform first into the main villain, and THEN turn back into Narutaki cursing Decade the 'destroyer of world'... After he stopped you from destroying the world... Man Narutaki I will NEVER understand you outside of your hate for these new Riders that just don't get what it means to be a Rider.

... Yea I don't really have anything else to add to this just... Usual confusion bout Narutaki.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Narutaki is a fan of all Riders AKA real Riders AKA Showa Riders. He hates all the Heisei Riders for ruining the series. I think all his actions in Decade fall in line with this?
Deathstrike
Go Go!

Post by Deathstrike »

The music that Mai was dancing to in the beginning of this special (also heard in Gaim episode 18)
Does that music actually belong to the Gaim OST, or is it like the music in the Decade/Black RX crossover, which was taken from another source?

I really like that music.
Strykor
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Quote: Ever have one of those flashbacks...

Post by Strykor »

Huh, didn't know the DJ Gun had a blade form... now if it could just get a new sound file to mix instead of the horn call.
Tsukino Ko'uma
Infinity
My boom: Fluffle Puff
Quote: "I just don't know what went wrong!" - Derpy

Post by Tsukino Ko'uma »

Toei should make more of these specials. As in one for every Sentai and Rider that comes out from now on.
The fun has been doubled.

Veryl
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Favorite Band: supercell
My boom: Miku, Persona

Post by Veryl »

That was so much fun to watch, couldn't stop laughing. Everyone's reactions to each other was great.

I loved how they wrote Gaim in this episode. I really felt as if this was a side of Kouta that was overshadowed in Gaim (understandably due to whats happening the show) but it really made him seem like a strong lead Rider, that was great to see.

For me, I think Gaim really needed this special. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the show now, knowing that Kouta is that kind of character.

I wish we could have seen Bravo and Gridon though, that would have been great to see them interact with the ToQgers.

...The things I would do to get a Narutaki Monkey puppet :lol:
dgk3593
It's not even funny
It's not even funny

Post by dgk3593 »

Deathstrike wrote:The music that Mai was dancing to in the beginning of this special (also heard in Gaim episode 18)
Does that music actually belong to the Gaim OST, or is it like the music in the Decade/Black RX crossover, which was taken from another source?

I really like that music.
The song is TEPPEN STAR by Hitomi, Gaim vs Wizard's theme song.
CaptainTalon448
Adventure

Post by CaptainTalon448 »

If there's one thing I could say. I really like the characters of ToQGer they may act one-note but they do it such a way that when those serious moments do appear you sense the sadness behind the cheerfulness that they can't remember where they lived. The scene where Right is looking at Kagura's drawing was really telling. As for Gaim, you can see that Kouta would really appreciate help having to fight the Inves, having alliances change around and his overall enemy changing but the trouble is that he can't because he understand that whatever problems the ToQGers is more important to them than having them help him out.

EDIT: Also remember STAY BEHIND THE WHITE LINE :P

Spoiler
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Like several others here have already stated, this was a fantastic teamup.

So often when Toei does a teamup they overdo it. They decide to have a massive, explosion-filled battle royale, with the nostalgia dial turned up to 11 and requiring that large swaths of former Riders and Sentai heroes return. The end result is mess of loud noises and CGI, with solid plotting and character moments taking a back seat to action and nostalgia. In other words, it quickly devolves into cameos and fighting for no meaningful reason.

Toqger VS Gaim on the other hand felt a lot more like a Sentai VS movie, which is perfect for what they were trying to do. The focus was on Toqgers and Gaim riders, with very little to distract from that. So we got to see the two teams together in a scenario and a plot that's closer to the higher quality writing of their respective series than the messes that are the movies.

I thought it especially interesting how they divided up the special to almost behave like a pair of linked Toqger/Gaim episodes. The first half focusing on the Toqgers, and the second half on the Gaim crew The result wasn't perfect - the rest of the Toqgers are just oddly absent for most of the second half - but on the other hand it give both halves the chance to play out the teamup in their own styles.

I also liked the little gags that were thrown in at various points. Whoever wrote this was clearly trope aware and well aware of each show. I'm not sure running a train on the Mole kaijin was quite the best idea, but on the other hand having Toq-Oh fighting a giant Inves in the background of the Yggdrasil tower was golden, as was putting the group transformation at the very start of the special (let's get to the fun part right away). Heck, they even got Narutaki in, and did so in a manner that didn't result in headache-inducing dimensional weirdness.

If Toei could do something of this quality every year, I would be extremely happy if they continued. The Super Hero Taisen movies have been messes that won't be missed, whereas an annual VS movie like this would be a great thing to go alongside the annual Sentai VS movie. Sentai and Kamen Rider are TV shows, and they're best off when written and budgeted as such.
takenoko wrote: I totally liked how the monster of the week did the one thing that would piss off all three of the main Riders. Everyone loves Mai~
Is it me, or is poor Mai turning into a bonafide damsel in distress? No one listens to her, she gets chased around by Inves, and now she gets kidnapped. I know it's a Rider thing to have friends to save, but it really feels like she doesn't do much more than pout about how no one appreciates her dancing, and needing saved from various Riders and Inves.
DaVinci030 wrote:Sounds like it's a good TV special... unlike Birth of the 10th! Kamen Riders All Together!! (1984)

Seems that the Underground Empire Badan is the only antagonist if this TV special.
I do wish that they had explained the origin of Badan a bit better for this special. I had no clue who they were until I saw the wiki. How many members of the intended audience are going to know that Badan is from ZX?
remolay
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Wizard's Costume
Favorite Actor?: Simon Pegg
Favorite Band: Queen
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Babylon 5
Quote: There's a hole in my neighborhood down which of late I cannot help but fall.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by remolay »

Well that was pretty good. No forced in-fighting (oh god that gets on my nerves after a while) and It's nice to see that Gaim got more superheroey than it was when I gave up on it.

One thing. Dear Mr. Takeshi Hongo.

I can name several times you worked with heisei riders. Since when?

love, Remolay
Well I guess I'm not a pirate anymore now that img limits exist.

Help I can't help finding every yellow ranger cute
Netto no Zen-Aki
Gabu
Favorite series: Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Rider
Quote: "We cannot change the past, for it is written in stone. So we look to the future, for it has yet to be written."

Completed:
KR- Ryuki, Kabuto, Kiva, Den-O, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
Sentai- Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-On, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Go-Bust, Kyouryu, ToQger
ETC- Ryukendo, Rescue Force, Rescue Fire, Garo, Garo: Makai Senki, Garo: Yami

Current:
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger
Kamen Rider Ghost

Post by Netto no Zen-Aki »

This was rather entertaining. Mai trying to get the ToQger out of danger, but instead transform to head into danger with a Rider transforming right next to them, both sides in utter confusion, only to be brought back to the fight by the bad guy. Kind of reminds of "Beast Wars" when Rattrap and Dinobot were arguing with each other and Tarantulas wakes up only for the two of them to punch him out again.

Kaito/Baron getting mocked innocently by Right, toyed with by Kouta and teased by Micchi, all three mentioning "Banana" Rather funny.

Also, yeah, standing behind the white lines, at least there is proof now why you do so: Stay behind the lines or get run over by trains. Makes complete sense in a world that runs on IMAGINATION! *yes, that one was forced out LOL!*

And Narutaki + Ningyotaki *my name for his puppet*: just wtf are you doing here?

Speaking of WTF, Takatora... just wtf is in that coffee that keeps you from seeing ToQ-Oh outside your window when you would be eye-to-giant-mecha-eye? At least he's somewhat concerned about his employees' well-being. Wouldn't it have been hilarious if Professor Ryouma was there to see it? I mean, scientist need some extent of imagination to break down barriers.

And Fifteen, I was blind for a moment, I thought the "Five"/五 on his helmet was "King"/王, so when I saw the "Ten"/十 which I thought it was "Great"/"Big"/大, I thought it read "Big King"大王 or "Great King", instead of Fifteen/十五 Boy do I feel stupid. Kanji is tough for foreigners. If only I noticed that one stroke on "Five".

When the movie comes out, I highly recommend attaching this in the file with it since it seems to tie together, at least from one perspective, if it doesn't, then no need to.

Return to “Ressha Sentai Toqger”