Toqger 09 departing now

Den-O reincarnated! Den-O will never die!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Kyouryuuger | Toqger | Ninninger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Toqger 09 departing now

Post by takenoko »

Hitomebore
一目惚れ 【ひとめぼれ】 (n) to be taken with someone at first sight (similar to "love at first sight", but not as strong)

Hitome means "one look" and bore/hore means "to fall in love"
Weather
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite Actor?: Tomoyuki Dan
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Post by Weather »

Finally.......Finally......FINALLY!!! Some good looking mecha in ToQgers! I was getting worried how it would turn out, but Diesel-oh looks great, and he's just powerful :D. He has quite a unique combination, from what you would expect of 3 vehicles, also i like his big ass head, we don't see such unique heads a lot.

Oh yeah, there was some other stuff during that episode. It was pretty good, especially i liked that Mio was holding her feelings, she didn't go there expecting a fairy tale ending, she was expecting rejection, i think Mio might become second strongest female rider (imo), first being Boukenpink.

So, Baron seems to have some plan on the mind since he don't get so much darkness.

The only problem now is, we may not see Diesel-oh for some time, unless we'll get ToQ Zero. Still, waiting for ToQgers upgrade with a new mecha.
Kamen Rider Ookalf
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Kamen Rider Ookalf »

Is anyone else wondering what happened to the girl Tooru was running the obstacle course with? I mean, she just abruptly disappears after the Shadows attack...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Clearly she's off eating all the manju buns
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

ViRGE wrote:as Diesel-Oh demonstrates that the designers are capable of doing a better train robo than ToQ-Oh.
I thought they proved that back in the 90s with GrandLiner. :P
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DekaBreak »

Thank you for all the references! I watch EVERYTHING here with a Shinkenger tint so,

- Seeing SCRTC on the tag didn't bring Miki-san to mind, my first thought was Mako's mother from Shinkenger Act 34
- Chiba Tooru -> Shiba (ShinkenRed) and his actor, Matsuzaka Toori (Tooru?)
- Mio carrying a shinai, asking for duels, wearing the Shinkenger training hakama. Thanks for bringing back memories Mako and her practice duels with Takeru (Shinkenger 17 & 18)
- Tooru patting Mio on the head. Guy who protects the Yellow. Shinkenger 22, as Takeru does the same to Kotoha, yep.
- The obentou. Isn't that Mako's signature dish to torture the likes of Ryuunosuke and Chiaki? Better done than Mako does it, but still the same glutinous rice ball. Shinkenger 25/26 YAY!

THANK YOU SO MUCH KOBAYASHI I WAS SMILING ALL THE WAY DESPITE THE MISOGYNY.

On to the episode. Quite good, Riria did a great job portraying the awkward side of Mio. Nice to see the auxiliary gattai being done for a reason other than a power up. That's it. Diesel-Oh looks better than ToQ-Oh. For half a second I expected Tooru to be the sixth ranger. The past 2 seasons had alumni rangers returning,( and GekiChopper had a hint of the color the new guy is supposed to have, not spoiling) so...
Tuss4
Train man
Favorite series: Faiz
Dreamy: Ayame Misaki
Favorite Actor?: Myself

Post by Tuss4 »

#tsundere but sexist, kind of an enjoyable episode.

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Does someone want to explain how this episode is misogynistic?

mi·sog·y·ny
noun
hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women.
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Post by DekaBreak »

takenoko wrote:Does someone want to explain how this episode is misogynistic?

mi·sog·y·ny
noun
hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women.

Apologies. The more appropriate term is sexism.

sexism |ˈsekˌsizəm|
noun
prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

"You're a girl. It suits you better to be protected. "
1) Stereotype of women being physically weaker than men
2) Stereotype of women needing men to be safe.

I know Mako was the ideal housewife character, and Mio's much more outgoing than Mako (though I prefer Mako), but even the more homely Mako was allowed be a tough, independent girl. The only working Shinkenger with a job. I didn't like how the more tomboyish Mio was put towards that stereotype. It shouldn't be used for fighting girls at all, for the most part. People like Kotoha or Kagura may need the protection, but were protected by all the team members, male or female. The imposition that being a women makes it a necessity to be protected by men is a bit too much. It goes the other way around too, that men must protect women. Just saying. This is a kid show. As much as I applaud Japan's openness with regard to sexuality (which is how we got the ToQ-Oh penis jab), stereotyping is a non-no.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Eh, I still don't see what you're getting at. It seems to blatantly ignore the fact that they threw out that line only for it to be subverted later with Mio protecting the guy instead.

Frankly, aren't you missing the whole point of the episode, which is that Mio is a strong, tomboyish girl and that her life doesn't revolve around men? When her feelings turn out to be unrequited, she just leaves and doesn't turn back. Isn't that a positive example?

And are gender roles inherently sexist? I don't really think so, but that's a whole 'nother conversation.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

To me, it sounded more like "I want to protect you" rather than "you need to be protected". There is a difference. The first one is more like the Protector's Instinct. The second is more like, "you're too weak to protect yourself", which can be true, but not for people like Mio.

Also, in France, we got something called "galanterie" which is considered as something positive since it's like "men must let women go through the door first", or "they must let women take their seat". Well, I'm not sure about the last one, but the idea is more something polite than sexist.

Maybe you guys just see evil everywhere, like anti-nazi check under their bed to see if there is not a nazi that would kill them during their sleep. It's paranoia.
Ryouga
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ryouga »

Here in the UK at least women pick and choose when they are "weak" or whey they are strong, as in I have been given abuse before for opening a door when a woman wants to go through despite doing it for men too saying "I think women are weak" but in the workplace, be it mine or others I constantly see or hear women say something like "oh this box is heavy, you are a man so you should carry it" When I think she is getting paid the same so she should do the same work its even worse when I see butch/tall women say to skinny teenage male employees to do the heavy lifting as they are the male.

Universites have female only accomodation and if you say its sexist you hear that "men are stronger than women so they can rape or beat up a woman" etc etc yet the same women who say that have no problems doing something like slap a man or worse for no reason.

I can go on and on about personal experiences and friends experiences but one of the strangest was when I read a womens magazine when waiting at Doctors for an appointment where in the back page it detailed how a woman can go for a night out in London, get taxis all the way into city centre and back and a takeaway and free drinks all night just by flirting with men, the whole article just was one step away from saying men had a responsibilty to do whatever a women wants even if he is badly off and a woman is wealthy(as it even talked about if a man looks poor to avoid him unless they are certain they can get a free drink.

This was a mainstream womens magazine not one of those gossip ones like heat!

The other funny thing is I am disabled and have in the past been given rude comments about how I do not move for a woman on a bus despite me having heavy shopping, being there first, getting on a few stops earlier and my health makes it hard to walk and the person I do not move for does not even have a bus pass, a spring in their step, no shopping etc its just they are women.

I believe in real equality, which means I am polite to people but not that I should move for a older person who is healthy, I will likely move for a frail old person within reason i.e I have shopping and the only other seat is at the back meaning I have to bump through people with bags.

Sorry for being off topic a little.
UltimateCharge
Favorite series: Wizard/W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Goseiger/Dairanger
Dreamy: Yumi Sugimoto -swoon
Quote: Now, count up your sins!

Post by UltimateCharge »

Yeah, I didn't think it was particularly misogynistic at all.

The guy patting her on the head and saying she should be protected was more of a classic chivalrous "you deserve to be protected", i.e. as you're too beautiful and precious to have to come to any unnecessary harm.

I realise that a fair few people have a problem with that idea of females in the modern day as if it's saying they're not capable of defending themselves and they need a man to look after them - but I think in the traditional sense, and the sense used in this episode, it's more of the romantic way of a man saying "I'm going to look after you and protect you because I can and because you're wonderful."

I was semi-moved by that moment in the show because while it's in no way explicitly mentioned, you get the sense that Mio has always had to rely on herself and be the one to pick up the pieces of everyone else's good or bad times. There is that sadness that comes across from her. Maybe it's not even intentionally in the script and it's just what the actress is bringing to the table - I have no idea.

But yeah, I was moved by that momentary, unspoken realisation of hers that - maybe I've finally met someone who I can rely on and lay down my burdens to. In that sense, it was this whole tragic thing watching her try to give herself up to the moment and her feelings, but still trying to be guarded enough to make it all come off as 'a duel' if need be.

Maybe if the episode had ended with her looking a bit sad and having kept his picture or something? Would that be too extremely heart-breaking for a kids' show? Hahahah maybe.
Diviana
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: "We're all fools so might as well dance."

Post by Diviana »

Ryouga wrote:Here in the UK at least women pick and choose when they are "weak" or whey they are strong, as in I have been given abuse before for opening a door when a woman wants to go through despite doing it for men too saying "I think women are weak" but in the workplace, be it mine or others I constantly see or hear women say something like "oh this box is heavy, you are a man so you should carry it" When I think she is getting paid the same so she should do the same work its even worse when I see butch/tall women say to skinny teenage male employees to do the heavy lifting as they are the male.

That happens in the U.S. too. I in particular avoid doing that (except with my brother since citing that he is a boy is easier than saying, "You're a 5'9 wrestler; I'm 5'3 with no muscular strength. Carry this heavy thing."). Like you, I try to treat everyone one equally. But a lot of people tend to be a bit hypocritical. I've seen girls carrying three-five books claim that it's too heavy while the guys are carrying ten+. I tend to just grab the books from the other girls just because I feel bad for the guys despite nearly holding as much books as the guys.

I think they were going for a more chivalrous spin for this episode and then they subverted the trope so I am fine with it. The way they did was a bit awkward but it worked out in the end.
Super Sentai I've watched: Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters, Kyouryuuger, Toqger, Ninninger, Jyuohger
Kamen Rider I've watched: Den-O, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
*kalypso
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Rio
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Post by *kalypso »

I got the sexist vibe as well, even though I figured they would subvert it to give Mio character growth.

I think it would have been less sexist and a stronger way to show her arc if it had been shown as Tooru saying 'You deserved to be protected because you are special, and I want to protect you because I like you' and not 'You deserve to be protected because you are a girl'. That makes it personal, rather than explicitly based on an expected gender role; Mio still gets to prove she is strong enough to choose when she gets to be protected while realising that she has that choice, and it's still generic enough that the script works to set up all the girls to build up the expectation of a relationship, become devastated and give off darkness.

The script was clumsy, and possibly shows that the Shadow Line don't have a great understanding of humans.

... The other day this guy refused to go into a shop before I did even though he got to the door first, and then stood in line behind me, way too close, and kept his eyes at about butt-level. Everyone who noticed thought he was being nice and polite and could not see how I felt threatened at all. So there's that as well.

Return to “Ressha Sentai Toqger”