Tone/Quality of this series so far?

Den-O reincarnated! Den-O will never die!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Kyouryuuger | Toqger | Ninninger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
Domino
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokiager
2nd Favorite Series: Jetto-Jetto-Jettoman
Favorite Band: Maximum the Hormone
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Video Games
Quote: "...I'm muzzled by army brass!"
Type: ENFP Champion

Tone/Quality of this series so far?

Post by Domino »

What do you all think so far? Is the overall plot worth getting into? Does it get any darker than the pilot I watched? (Or pick up like Gaim supposedly does?)

My dilemma is trying to juggle time lately, my wife is just finishing Gokaiger finally and I thought it would be nice if we both maybe started this with our son. (Or just finally finish Deka)

Give us something to look forward to release-wise. So, thoughts? I've noticed a couple people hinting it's bad, and good, but why?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Tone/Quality of this series so far?

Post by Catastrophe »

For me, it was initially a little boring coming of Kyoryuger, which had writing that made me enjoy every single episode.

Toq does start of quite bland, and I feel like the random filler episodes are mostly boring. The current arc at the moment is very interesting and the introduction of the extra member has made a nice new team dynamic that makes it fun to watch.

I have little free time as well, I watch ToQ on double speed and because of the subtitle, can easily keep up.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Ehh. The villains are excellent and have possibly some of the most interesting designs I've seen in a tokusatsu production ever. Very stylish and cool. Unfortunately, I feel they're wasted on this show. The Toqgers themselves are not particularly blessed with strong personalities, just personality quirks. (Right is always hungry, Tokacchi is flustered, Kagura is "cute", Mio is the tomboy and Hikari is the "cool" one) Akira actually is a pretty interesting character, but sadly he doesn't seem to be joining their little group except at battles. I think a big part of the problem is that since they all have amnesia, they don't actually have any backstory to tell, so we're forced to watch as they struggle on to find their memories.

The suits are boring and frankly the switching gimmick is so stupid and underused that I honestly forget they can switch sometimes. It's an okay series but I'll probably forget about it the moment it finishes. I'd suggest Magiranger for an all-around excellent sentai or possibly even Go-Onger if you want a slightly more kiddish one for your son.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

Lunagel wrote:Ehh. The villains are excellent and have possibly some of the most interesting designs I've seen in a tokusatsu production ever. Very stylish and cool. Unfortunately, I feel they're wasted on this show. The Toqgers themselves are not particularly blessed with strong personalities, just personality quirks. (Right is always hungry, Tokacchi is flustered, Kagura is "cute", Mio is the tomboy and Hikari is the "cool" one) Akira actually is a pretty interesting character, but sadly he doesn't seem to be joining their little group except at battles. I think a big part of the problem is that since they all have amnesia, they don't actually have any backstory to tell, so we're forced to watch as they struggle on to find their memories.

The suits are boring and frankly the switching gimmick is so stupid and underused that I honestly forget they can switch sometimes. It's an okay series but I'll probably forget about it the moment it finishes. I'd suggest Magiranger for an all-around excellent sentai or possibly even Go-Onger if you want a slightly more kiddish one for your son.
What's the point of switching anyways? I don't even see a use to that. Kinda a useless idea.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

I think it's just something kids would do. I wanna be red! You can be green! Yay!
kikaida
IXA
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Blade

Post by kikaida »

What's the point of switching anyways? I don't even see a use to that. Kinda a useless idea.
It's to allow them the ability to use the other's powers/weapons . . .
"There is no charge for awesomeness . . . or attractiveness." Po.
kikaida
IXA
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Blade

Post by kikaida »

Domino wrote:What do you all think so far? Is the overall plot worth getting into?
The series (Tokkyuuger) is very light (to borrow a pun) yet dark (punny again) - you see, it's all literally a light verses dark series . . . it takes an odd twist with episode 22 with Chowder, I mean Grita . . . Lunagel mentioned Magirangers, and probably becausethe way the characters are set up, this series reminds me of Magirangers. The primary "evil" character designs are kind of steam-punk/bird and quite nicely designed. I really appreciate the design of the "minions" - the kuro . . . the design and characters of the sentai are kind of weak - I do like the opening theme!

Here's "my" take on sentai after Gokaiger:

Go-Busters is rather dark, sometimes silly, and rather unique. To me it's a kid's spy-gadget sentai . . . Messiah might be scary for small kids.

Kyoryugers always put a smile on my face. It was fun, sometimes serious, dark, yet cheery. I loved the music theme throughout - plus it's hard to lose with a dinosaur theme with kids. Good story line.

If you want a recommendation of which sentai to "waste your time" with after Gokaiger, I'd say go with Kyoryugers.
"There is no charge for awesomeness . . . or attractiveness." Po.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Uhh, no, I mentioned Magirangers as an alternative series to watch. I don't get any Magiranger feeling from Toqger, if anything, Goseiger was closer in tone and style to Magi.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray

Post by xiiliea »

kikaida wrote:
It's to allow them the ability to use the other's powers/weapons . . .
But its still rather pointless. The weapon is still the same weapon.

Maybe an example of a useful weapon switch, is in Gokaiger. At least there is a use in switching their weapons, since they can get a different weapon set.
Domino
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokiager
2nd Favorite Series: Jetto-Jetto-Jettoman
Favorite Band: Maximum the Hormone
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Video Games
Quote: "...I'm muzzled by army brass!"
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Domino »

xiiliea wrote: But its still rather pointless. The weapon is still the same weapon.

Maybe an example of a useful weapon switch, is in Gokaiger. At least there is a use in switching their weapons, since they can get a different weapon set.
I kinda got that vibe from the pilot, especially when pink changed and could almost not wield the bigger weapon she ended up with. It's almost like just a straight production gimmick, as I have no idea how they would merchandise that switching other than more figures.

Gokaiger made sense, but I always wondered why Doc didn't just always trade with Luke right away. :roll:
TheGreenRaptor
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Favorite series: Gokaiger!
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
Dreamy: Jasmine (Dekaranger)
Favorite Actor?: Ryota Ozawa
Alignment: Neutral
Quote: What do they know about Power Rangers in Japan? - Connor (Power Rangers Dino Thunder)

Post by TheGreenRaptor »

At first I wasn't very interested in it because of the costumes, but I am watching it and I really like it. Not in my Top 5 but in my top 10 for sure. lol Akira is so awesome. I even meme'd his "This is the place where I die" quote to describe my feelings to a math test
I am currently addicted to: Super Sentai
Last Addiction: Jurassic Park
Before that: Star Wars

DaiMomotar
Humongous
Favorite series: Kamen Rider V3 !!
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Miu Kazashiro
Favorite Actor?: Hiroshi Miyauchi
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: Tatakau seigi no...

Post by DaiMomotar »

After the upbeat feel, fun characters and interesting stories of Kyoryuger I can't wholeheartedly say I enjoy Tokkyuuger that much. The Villains look great but the Sentei suits dont thrill me. Im not a fan of the block like appearance of the mech the sentai use. I like to think they could have done better designing them. Now Im convinced the way they designed them for this series they will keep getting worse. Trains I guess have a shape that looks hard to work with. Some series you like, some series not so much. Can't wait to see what the next one looks like already......
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

Like Lunagel said its an okay show I would prefer Gokaigers or Go-Busters than this. We can all agree that the switching colors is a bit useless.
daburuwosagase
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Fourze
Quote: "But they didn't know that this Majide is MADE OF DEKIRU and I will tsubusu you! I will tsubusu and TAOSU you!!"

Post by daburuwosagase »

The switching colors gimmick has admittedly been utilized much better in more recent episodes. It's still not that good of an idea, but at least they're making more of an effort.

Y'see, Travelion is a train robo done right. Lookit that glorious bulky detail.
CaptainTalon448
Adventure

Post by CaptainTalon448 »

It's...okay at it's best though when the filler isn't as involved and the main 5 start to recover their memories there is a earnest when they learn something about themselves. However, I would say that this is the one series where it feels like the villians are given more depth than the Sentai themselves. There is so much interesting things that happen behind the scenes when the MOTW isn't terrorizing the town that they are in.

Return to “Ressha Sentai Toqger”