Toqger 47 departing now

Den-O reincarnated! Den-O will never die!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Kyouryuuger | Toqger | Ninninger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Toqger 47 departing now

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/TQG_Station_47

So that's the big finale. I'm surprised there were no major twists since it's Kobayashi. Mork and Nero were loyal to the end, no sudden betrayals or anything. All in all, very straight forward and a little too predictable.

Oh wait, I guess Glitter is alive, but I had already guessed that.

TOQ 1 Rainbow is a pretty neat idea, but I think it's a little dissatisfying since earlier he couldn't use Akira's train to transfer before.

Loved the beach scene with the beautiful water. Helmetless transformations are always great. It was fun seeing the adult Toqger interacting with their younger selves. The kid versions leaving home and going to their secret base was also pretty fun for me. Good hearing the ending them again since the last time was over a month ago at Toqger 42.

I think the biggest problem with Zett is that his motivations are both extremely simple and extremely unclear. He wants the light, but why? Just because? Is he supposed to be sympathetic or are we supposed to find him to be a whiny baby for complaining about what he can't have? Is his tantrums justifiable despite being obviously evil acts? It just seems like he has a lot of potential that isn't fulfilled. A hero show is only as good as its main protagonist, and Toqger sort of doesn't have one.

If you weren't enjoying this series so far, I don't think the ending will change your mind. But I had a lot of fun with the characters this year. Looking forward to Ninninger though, and hoping it lives up to the hype.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Re: Toqger 47 departing now

Post by DaVinci030 »

/me soooooo happy to see the "IMAGINATION!!!"

I like the TOQ trains crashing through the Castle Terminal. Epic! And TOQ 1 Rainbow... is very neat (as I saw).

Glitter holding hands with Zett? <3
takenoko wrote:Good hearing the ending them again since the last time was over a month ago at Toqger 42.
Love hearing the ending song... again.

Overall, I've enjoyed the series so far.
Spoiler
Hope they'll meet again as real adults in V-Cinema.

Ninninger coming up next week. Looking forward to it.

VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

takenoko wrote: I think the biggest problem with Zett is that his motivations are both extremely simple and extremely unclear. He wants the light, but why? Just because? Is he supposed to be sympathetic or are we supposed to find him to be a whiny baby for complaining about what he can't have? Is his tantrums justifiable despite being obviously evil acts? It just seems like he has a lot of potential that isn't fulfilled. A hero show is only as good as its main protagonist, and Toqger sort of doesn't have one.
His path was unclear but not indecipherable. I think he's sympathetic; despite being the forerunner of darkness he's found the attraction of light. So he's constantly torn, until the very end, when it almost seemed he became suicidal in his acknowledgement that his wishes will never be fulfilled. So it turned into anger: if I can't have it, no one will; I'll make an example of Right, I'll drag him down to my level. If Mork wasn't there to pull him aside, for example, the trains would've rammed into him at full speed. He didn't even care. And then, of course, at the very end he's consoled by his sparkle being with him in the darkness.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Right should have died in the darkness but his friends are much better people than he is. At least the final battle actually had the others do something to Zett unlike the Kyou finale.

Also Toq-Rainbow should have been an actual suit not a CG light show. It's the finale, don't cheap out of it, Toei.

The ending was fine and all but nothing special.
Sauce
Yakiniku Wizard
Yakiniku Wizard
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Megaranger/Boukenger
Dreamy: all da lady
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Sentai
Quote: "Super Hungry, Gyudon Changer!"
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Sauce »

Underwhelming and messy, but cute at the end. Too many loose ends for my tastes.

Some of the characters were pretty endearing this year when they actually got a chance to shine, but for the most part it's been a pretty bland series with cute moments. I mostly liked it but it didn't feel meaty enough overall. Maybe they'll crap out a nice V-Cinema though, who knows.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Eh.

My gauge of whether a sentai (or any movie/tv show) is good relies really heavily on their being some kind of change in the characters themselves. There honestly wasn't too much in Toqger, for the most part, they're still the same people we saw a year ago. I think the most change we saw was in Akira and Tokacchi, possibly Mio. Right and Zett were pretty much the same all the way through, and that's not good for the main characters.

The Shadow Line had such good designs and awesome characters that I really wish I liked this series better, but as it is, it's a very run-of-the-mill sentai with not much to distinguish it from the rest.

I am so tired of RED SMASH endings.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

At least it wasn't as Red smashy compared to last year. The others actually fought in the last battle compared to last year's "Let's sing because we just useless".
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

I feel the ending is fine as it is. The biggest plot hole I feel uncomfortable about is the "Right is Zett, and Zett is right" thing, which despite a major plot point it doesn't explain anything. This series is about imagination, anything is possible as long as you can imagine it.

The lanterns bear the wishes of the people. One year ago, those wishes created the light Zett saw. One year later (since time has frozen for the town, are they the same lanterns?), the lanterns wishes once again destroyed the darkness. It kind of came a full circle.

I like the symbolism of Imagination is the power that connects the hopes and dreams etc, to all the trains connecting to each other. As the president says, Imagination is what gives their existence, it's the source of their power. In the end, their power is the hopes and dreams of the people

I agree that Zett is suicidal. He's so happy to see the light again, he's so happy to see Right sparkles again. It just feels like he wants to be destroyed by the light.

Right suddenly able to transfer to orange is just a big "who cares" sign from the staff. To stretch it, it's probably because Akira finally acknowledges that Rainbow Line is his home and his place to live.

Oh, it took 47 episodes for Right to dual wield.

And the Toqers finally does their own rollcall. I always feel lacking with the announcer doing the rollcall. The rollcall is a special part of sentai, and how they say it and how much spirit they put into it is often the highlight of the battle. Having a standard voice doing it just doesn't cut it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I think the ending is fine and is really fitting.

Personally, I think people are being overly dense about the Right is Zett/Zett is Right thing. It's just an enigmatic way of saying that they infected each other. Right with darkness and Zett with light.

I mean, I get that Zett's story arc is that he wants the light, but can't have it, so he throws a tantrum. But that doesn't really explain why he wants it beyond "I saw it, so I want it." Such things happen, but being that he's a weird darkness monster, knowing his motivation for it would be nice. Does he want to eat it, make love to it, will it give him power? If light is the power of Imagination, does he want to use it to become an artist? What does getting the light give Zett exactly? The entire story's main point of conflict depends upon this.

That said, for the Toqger this was the perfect ending. There are too many shows where the story just ends after the baddie is defeated. We see their family reunions and their return to being normal kids.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

ToQGer isn't one of my favorite Sentai series, but I enjoyed it. I had fun with it.

Sadly, this ending was kind of underwhelming for me. It feels weird to say that, because Kobayashi's one of my favorite writers, and I tend to adore stuff she's done (see also: Shinkenger, OOO, Go-Busters, Blassreiter), but this just wasn't as strong for me. I was hoping for a big finale that says "Yes! we're done, and you will remember how we end!" and instead I got "yes, we're done. that's all. no big deal."

at least this means we're less than a week away from ninjas. also, I've heard the opening and ending themes online (as well as seen a dance that's more than likely going to be performed during the ending) and they're pretty good. to the point that, even if it ends up being another "ok, but not great" series, I'l at least watch every week to hear the songs.
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Uzur9 »

Soon™

Read the banner at the top which says, among other things, " Further plot development like extra rangers not okay." Don't spoil stuff that we are releasing in the near future -Triple M
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah I dunno. Kobayashi's latest works haven't wowed me lately between Toqger and Zero. And while I abhor Zero, at least I found Toqger entertaining on a moment to moment basis. It just didn't have any of the great highs of Go-Busters. Maybe she got in trouble for that and the Toei execs had her tied down more than usual for this series.
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

Now this was a good end to the series minus the fact that it seemed a little short. I wanted to see what happened to Zett and Grita after the dark portal and who the president was. It was good to see all the ToQGers in action one last time including all the transfers. I was a little disappointed that Akira wasn't turned into a full human, but maybe that could be for the 40th generation special.

By the way the choo-choo comment funny as hell.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Ahh another red ranger hand-off. It must be the end of another season.

I can't say I'm going to miss this series. Or the heroes. Or even the mecha (especially the mecha). But damn am I going to miss the villain costumes. They were empty on the inside, but everything from the Kuros to the generals was so well done; it was stylish and yet intricate and unique. The villains could have easily been the co-stars of the show if they had been better written.

Meanwhile I can't decide if I'm a bit disappointed in the ending because everyone got a happy ending - making any kind of sacrifice empty - or because everyone but Zett got a happy ending. I think I'm going to go with a sympathetic villain here; all he wanted was something that everyone else could have, something that by the nature of his creation he could not. If we're going to make everyone kids again, at least let poor Zett go happy (then again he needs to be back for the team-up).

I think this series could have been better if it had either been deeper or shorter. The first half simply moved too slowly for the arcs they were working with, and left a bad taste in my mouth for the entire run. It wasn't a bad series, but boy was it mediocre.

Also, I'm just outright disappointed that we aren't getting a real explanation for Ticket or the Side Dish. The gag works much better if there's a payoff at the end.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote:Yeah I dunno. Kobayashi's latest works haven't wowed me lately between Toqger and Zero. And while I abhor Zero, at least I found Toqger entertaining on a moment to moment basis. It just didn't have any of the great highs of Go-Busters. Maybe she got in trouble for that and the Toei execs had her tied down more than usual for this series.
That, depressingly, makes sense.

"You did great! but nobody liked it, so that was bad, and you shouldn't do it again. now, if you'll excuse us, we need to go praise Urobuchi for doing to kamen rider what you did to sentai, except people watched Gaim."
ViRGE wrote:Ahh another red ranger hand-off. It must be the end of another season.

I can't say I'm going to miss this series. Or the heroes. Or even the mecha (especially the mecha). But damn am I going to miss the villain costumes. They were empty on the inside, but everything from the Kuros to the generals was so well done; it was stylish and yet intricate and unique. The villains could have easily been the co-stars of the show if they had been better written.

Also, I'm just outright disappointed that we aren't getting a real explanation for Ticket or the Side Dish. The gag works much better if there's a payoff at the end.
co-star villains? this series WISHES it was as good as Gekiranger.

and the payoff is, obviously, "IMAGINATION! .....just gonna pretend that's enough and ignore your questions, now."

Return to “Ressha Sentai Toqger”