Toqger VS Kyouryuuger the movie released

Den-O reincarnated! Den-O will never die!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Kyouryuuger | Toqger | Ninninger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Toqger VS Kyouryuuger the movie released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ressha_Sen ... _the_Movie

When I looked at the run time, I thought that I'd be really disappointed by it. In fact, it starts off kind of bad. The CGI for the Safari Line looked poor, and Lady's cameo is extremely limited. And the two casts seem pretty separated at first.

But a VS is all about the character interactions. And it makes up for this as the movie goes along. In fact, I was surprised by how much stuff goes on in the movie.

My favorite character interaction happens between the greens. The lack of stuff said between them adds to their characterization:
Introvert Greens don't need to say much.

Ucchi and Akira also have a lot of great moments.

Why is the fight between Conductor and Right so good?

Ian, try not to go to jail over this! Toei's typical "girls interact by holding hands" stuff. At least it had Ian going "let me join in!"

The night scenes are pretty.

Hurray for Luckyuro and Candelira cameos.

I'm getting hecka strong Buredoran vibes from Devious.

Final thing, seeing all the monsters of the week return made me appreciate how much variety and creativity went into their designs. There's some neat stuff there.

Edit:
Final rant, there's a bonus clip of the movie ending without the credits. We usually release those, right? Not this time!

Beeeecaause:
This is how they decided to format it. Who the fuck does that? A) The credits never covered any footage in the first place B) Removing them doesn't fix the fact that the video is in this tiny little box.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Toqger VS Kyouryuuger the movie released

Post by PHurricane »

Man, you don’t realize how different the shading is for the TOQ-4 and KyouryuuGreen uniforms until you see them standing next to each other.

Good movie. Not great, not terrible. There were quite a few things that surprised me, such as not only seeing Lady and the Galaxy Line again, but having them kick off the movie. It wasn’t until after ToQger ended that I realized we never had the summer movie mecha tie-in episode. Mikey popping up again was just as unexpected.

The fight scenes in this movie were great - the Kyouryuugers popping up in the opening battle, the fun fight with the kid ToQgers, and from a directing standpoint, that impressive long shot with each of the Kyouryuugers fighting. The pacing got a little strange in the middle. I don’t mind having a breather moment in the middle of the movie, but I think the rooftop scene was too ToQger-focused for a versus movie. It also bothered me that they had to sideline the Kyouryuugers by knocking them unconscious to make that scene possible.

The movie almost lost me completely when they introduced Salamas’ “ultimate form”. They had a perfectly good monster costume - why throw that away and have Kuros play train instead?

Ucchi and Akira kind of stole the movie for me. Ucchi did not have a good day. Akira, on the other hand, is at the top of his game. His entrance, from the extreme close up on the jacket to his even more dramatic than usual introduction, was fabulous. I loved that TOQ-6 can’t fight because of baby Ucchi, but they go through the effort of having Akira transform off-screen so that we get the visual of TOQ-6 with a baby strapped to him. I also loved that Akira’s habit of throwing his sword away becomes the smoking gun that allows both teams to fight both enemies by swapping weapons. Finally, Akira telling Ucchi to die someplace else was a fantastic line that I did not expect.

I didn’t realize it until after my second time through the movie, but I think my biggest disappointment was that for a series like Kyouryuuger where dancing and singing was such an important element, to have very few distinctive BGMs and no ending dance was not only a missed opportunity, but a discredit to what they brought to the table.

Random tidbits:
-Considering the gag from their opening credits, I liked that all the ToQgers got knocked over by the explosion caused by the Kyouryuugers’ intro.
-Clock Shadow was ridiculously fun. He’s the type that could easily cross the line into annoying, but he never did for me.
-I find it hysterical that as children, Kagura is the tallest.
-Man, Spirit Torin gets around.
-Nero doing a Kyouryuuger-esque intro and everyone else standing silent was hilarious (but I do kinda wish we had seen what the rest looked like).
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

PHurricane pretty much covered everything.

Ucchi is hot ( ´ ▽ ` )b
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Gottis
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: UM SNAKE DAD
Favorite Actor?: Inukai Atsuhiro
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Making music videos!
Quote: We're the Heroes of Our Time

Post by Gottis »

I think what stood out for me is how subdued Right is when compared to Daigo. I like the movie a lot, and I like the more quiet scenes as well, like on the rooftop.
Finished: All Heisei
Watching: Zi-O
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I suspect the rest of you ended up liking this more than I did. The movie fell very flat to me; by-the-numbers action sequences, an out-of nowhere villain, etc. The low point here was probably the Kuro train for the mecha fight. I get where they were going; what we got was not very good. Though the ToQ brats take a close second (bad flashbacks of Power Rangers Turbo).

On the other hand it's always fun playing "spot the team-up" hair game, which King won this year. He looks very different without a wild haircut. Also, Right and Conductor fighting was very entertaining for some reason, it was surprisingly well done for what amounts to an extended gag.
Ian, try not to go to jail over this!
I couldn't believe they had that line. I still can't. Japan is pervy, I get that, but that line is disturbing on multiple levels.
It wasn’t until after ToQger ended that I realized we never had the summer movie mecha tie-in episode.
Huh, I had completely forgotten about that until now. IIRC in the ToQ Movie thread we noted that there were only a few episodes left and the tie-in had not happened yet. Considering the movie mecha was pure CGI, I can see why.
JujinSan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
My boom: Japan
Quote: Whats done is done and cannot be undone

Post by JujinSan »

Honestly the biggest problem i had with the movie was Devious. They build him like he is the grand emperor of evil only to be taken down in five minutes. Ian's "off limits" line had me laughing partly because it works with his character and i did not expect that line to be in the movie.The idea that one teams powers did not work on the other teams grunts was a really interesting way to set up the idea of combining the two "powers".
Aka no Kenshi! MakaiRed! Kenpo Sentai Makaiger!
4BlueRider
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: Showtime!
Type: INFP Healer

Post by 4BlueRider »

I absolutely loved this vs movie! I think this movie had alot of heart. I did not read to much info about this movie for the sake that I wanted to be surprised by what happens in the movie, and I am glad I did that. The interactions with the rangers were awesome! The appearance of the Ninningers seemed early to me, usually the next year rangers appearance happens later in the movies. I am guessing it must be a challenge for the writers to insert them in the movie. The scene they appeared in was very pretty. Tick Tock Shadow was very cute. It was not until this movie that the Toqgers truly seemed like children, even in adult form to me. I think the writers were very daring in that they did something different in this movie. They had the Toqgers go full in child form for what seems like a while to me. They were in child form longer then I thought. I wonder if they had actual child suit actors in the suits or just short suit actors. Their fight scene as kids was very well done. The giant mecha battle when Salamas turned into a big train was very cute and cool! Their joint attack together against train Salamas was truly epic! Now onto the Creator Devious. I think in terms of comparing him with other great villains in terms of strength, I think that he is truly among the best. He was so powerful he knocked out the Kyouryuugers really bad.
The quiet scene with the Toqgers on the roof was very powerful to me. It helped me remember that the Toqgers really are just children fighting a villain who seems way stronger then most other Sentai have had to go against. The full on battle between the Toqgers and the resurrected Shadow Kaijin seemed like they did not stand a chance. Once again, every interaction between the ranger teams truly shined. I forgot to mention how happy I was to see Mio's imaginary friend Mikey come back! The big train battle sequence had me on the edge of my seat! Seeing Candelira and Luckyuro again made me happy too. There can't be anyone who does not like those two.

It kind of seemed to me that this movie was like a full blown Toqgers movie. This movie had all of Toqgers best elements. Plenty of Imagination, crazy awesome train battle scenes and the villains, who I think are the best in years really stood out! Right and Daigo's battle against Devious was awesome, he hit Right out of is transformation. Then finally seeing the other Kyouryuugers and the Shadow line help out was cool. The rest of the Shadow line should have done funny roll call too with Nero too.The helmet less roll call was just the cherry on top of everything else. I only wished they did a dance in the end. This movie had great heart,and in my 10 years of watching various Sentai team ups, this movie greatly stands out among the best.
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

JujinSan wrote:Honestly the biggest problem i had with the movie was Devious. They build him like he is the grand emperor of evil only to be taken down in five minutes..
Exactly the problem I had with this movie, they hyped Devious to be one powerful villian and yet he gets taken down so easily. I thought that was pitiful.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

First, big thanks to the entire team for getting this movie released so quickly. Pretty impressive stuff with both Drive and Ninninger going on!!

I've missed the Toqgers since the series ended, and with the Kyoryugers being another of my favorites, the movie didn't disappoint at all. I agree with PHurricane that Akira and Ucchi were what really made the movie, especially since most of what went on was basically secondary. Toq-6 running around with a baby strapped to his chest was pretty funny, and the "Go die over there" line was perfect.

Devius was kind of strage, I'll admit. Like others, it seemed to me like he went down way to easily despite a 40-something minute buildup to him being "awakened". Takenoko hinted at it, and I kind of feel the same way, it seems like Devius may return in something somehow. Maybe a super-team-up in a few years? Who knows? Isn't there also another Toqger movie coming out next month?

And finally, I thought the Ninninger cameo was well-placed, especially compared to the Toqger's post-credits cameo in the last movie. And thank goodness Takaharu did not yell "I'm on fire!!!" at any point during any of it.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
Secret Identity
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Super Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Secret Identity »

The Ninningers have the earliest Early-Bird Cameo in VS history. "We do not hide", indeed.
Wait, so they can just make a giant enemy small? Why do they even need mecha?

I would've loved to see a Shadow Line roll call. Too bad Nero was the only one into it.

No comment from the Toqgers on Ian's color? Seriously?
Currently Watching:
Ninninger, Drive, Ghost
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Sorry to spoil the fun here, but this movie is definitely the most horrible VS movie I've ever seen. I dunno the exact reason, but falling asleep while watching a movie definitely guarantees it into my 'Terrible' list. The Kyouryuugers post finale appearances is definitely welcomed (what happened to your hair Daigo?), but somehow they need to take a breather to allow the more boring team takes the lead.

The Toqger cast and Ucchi got some breather huh? Having their character turned to kids/baby for most of the time......
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Man Devious had probably the worst way to be taken down ever. The guy was giant-sized and was taken out while the heroes were small. Devious is a chump not the creator.

I'm pretty sure that the Kyouryuugers appeared more in their suits than out of suits for the most part. I wonder if Toei is having a hard time getting the previous team for on screen appearances in their VS movies.

Poor Nero, he secretly wants to do all the cool hero stuff.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Phoenix512 wrote:Man Devious had probably the worst way to be taken down ever. The guy was giant-sized and was taken out while the heroes were small. Devious is a chump not the creator.

I'm pretty sure that the Kyouryuugers appeared more in their suits than out of suits for the most part. I wonder if Toei is having a hard time getting the previous team for on screen appearances in their VS movies.

Poor Nero, he secretly wants to do all the cool hero stuff.
Strange, I thought it was the Toqgers since they just appeared through the child actors. Only Akira stuck through the entirety of the movie through his adult actor. I don't think Toei has problem getting the previous team for appearances in their VS movies. They are obligated to appear in their character's series VS movies by their contract with Toei. The current team? That's a mystery........

Probably because the Kyouryuu cast is reluctant to join after seeing the script for this VS movie. But that's just me hahaha...
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

My favourite moment: Nero doing a roll call. I've always liked Nero out of all the Shadow generals. This makes me like him even more.

Uchhi and Akira had hilarious scenes too. Also Canderilla and Luckyuro! Nice to see them back.
xPrimexTimex
Infinity

Post by xPrimexTimex »

Well I got on this train pretty late, but here goes: I marathoned the rest of Toqger for this????? It's not a bad VS film, but it wasn't that great either. The first half felt super rushed. A whole bunch of fight sequences mashed together and then the Ninninger cameo on top of that before the film slowed down and had its best scene at the rooftop. Seriously, that scene was gold. Makes you appreciate Toqger more. There were some things I liked (Ucchi/Akira, Hikari/Souji, Nero's rolecall, getting to see the Kyouryuugers back) but the rest wasn't as great. The villains were horrible in this film. Was there even a point to Salamas? His train form was hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Devius got punked too easily by everyone. It felt like a letdown after the buildup from the end of Kyouryuuger/most of the movie. The dancing/music was missed :(

Was it just me, or did Luckyuro have a different VA this time around?

Return to “Ressha Sentai Toqger”