Drive Promos released

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
bowspearer
Go Go!
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dairanger
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Re: Drive Promos released

Post by bowspearer »

dancercotillion wrote:Stale and unoriginal? When's the last time a Rider has been a cop? Agito? Every Rider tries to solve mysteries, that's pretty much a core element of the franchise. Fourze solved mysteries, too, oh my goddd~~~
It's not just the cop element or the solving mysteries element. It's the fact that, with how the show has been marketed, you could swap out Roimyuudo and Viral Cores for Gaia Memory Salesman and Gaia Memories respectively, and you essentially have W from a basic show premise perspective.

Seriously, if you're going to be critical of those of us who are skeptical, at least read up on everything that has been released to date on the show, so that you're on the same page as us.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

And if you swap it out for Horrorscopes and Astro Switches, you have Fourze. What's your point? You just seem opposed to Drive on a vague, nebulous principle. The concept of "bad guys corrupting people with power" isn't remotely new to Kamen Rider, nor is "hero fights monsters."
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

If you plan to be skeptical and express it, at least have some reason to feel so other than 'this has been done before'. Cause, welp, news flash, Nothing is new. Everything's been done before. Change out Helhiem with a mirror world and you have Ryuki. Change out Haruto from Kamen Rider Wizard with Eward Elric and you'd have modern day Fullmetal Alchemist. Change out a Greek Hero with a Babylonian one, and you'll go from Orpheus to Gilgamesh.

You want to be skeptical over an unimportant factoid, by all means. But when you express your skepticism, don't get on guard cause someone says 'well that seems like a flimsy reason to be skeptical'. You wanna avoid being criticized on the internet? Than don't express any of your views ever :V
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I dunno, there's nothing wrong with being skeptical. Skepticism is just as arbitrary a feeling as optimism. If people watch the show and go "Nah, this isn't for me." that's fine too.
bowspearer
Go Go!

Post by bowspearer »

dancercotillion wrote:And if you swap it out for Horrorscopes and Astro Switches, you have Fourze. What's your point? You just seem opposed to Drive on a vague, nebulous principle. The concept of "bad guys corrupting people with power" isn't remotely new to Kamen Rider, nor is "hero fights monsters."
On the contrary, there's still enough difference between Drive and Fourze for each show to stand on their own as their own individual story, just as there is between W and Foruze.

When it comes to Drive and W however, both involve the bad guys using the same transformation devices the good guys (with each bad guy's transformation being individual to them along with their own unique power) to corrupt people, using negative emotions and said devices to control them- resulting in paranormal crimes being committed. Meanwhile the hero, who is a detective, researches paranormal crimes and uses their own version of the same devices to fight them. That's far closer a set of similarities than with any other two Kamen Rider series we've ever had before.

When revisiting ideas, it's important that series at least have enough of a twist or take things in enough of a unique direction.Unfortunately, with what's been presented so far, there just doesn't seem to be enough there to differentiate it completely as its own story.
Kogashi wrote:If you plan to be skeptical and express it, at least have some reason to feel so other than 'this has been done before'. Cause, welp, news flash, Nothing is new. Everything's been done before. Change out Helhiem with a mirror world and you have Ryuki. Change out Haruto from Kamen Rider Wizard with Eward Elric and you'd have modern day Fullmetal Alchemist. Change out a Greek Hero with a Babylonian one, and you'll go from Orpheus to Gilgamesh.
I'm not denying that any story told can be boiled down to a retelling of one of 6 (at least I think it's 6) basic story archetypes. However the thing is that good stories come across as original, by telling that story in such a way that it's a "fresh take" on an original story. You bring up Gaim and Ryuki however there's far more than simply swapping out Helheim (contracts, Yggdrasil, multiple different streams of mythology, etc) which differentiates them. In fact having watched both, I can recognise the similarities, however I would never accuse Gaim of being a copy of Ryuki, as there is simply so much that Gaim Brings to the table which has made it a completely different story to Ryuki.

The problem I have here is that with how Drive has been marketted to date, it looks an awful lot like it's drawn alot from W, but without enough being there to differentiate it as a completely different story than W. As I've already said multiple times though, I'm completely open to the show proving that perception wrong- in fact I sincerely hope it does prove it wrong.
Kogashi wrote:You want to be skeptical over an unimportant factoid, by all means. But when you express your skepticism, don't get on guard cause someone says 'well that seems like a flimsy reason to be skeptical'. You wanna avoid being criticized on the internet? Than don't express any of your views ever :V
I don't have a problem with my opinions being challenged. I take issue with them being dismissed and shut down by people who don't want to discuss the facts, because based on their arguments, it's glaringly obvious that they haven't familiarised themselves with the facts. Surely it's not too much to expect that if people want to say 'well that seems like a flimsy reason to be skeptical' that they've actually familiarised themselves with everything to date (and I can automatically tell that anyone comparing generic Zodiarts Switches to Viral Cores isn't going by the information presented to date - which has made it clear that each Viral Core is unique) and actually go into the finer details.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I dunno, I never get what all the fuss is over something that hasn't come out yet. Most people change their minds once the show actually starts anyway.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

Its our nature to be skeptical of something we haven't seen yet. Everyone was like that for W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard and Gaim. Although I still don't like Fourze and Wizard was a huge flops at the end. Which I have my theory that the writers just extended the show so Gaim and later Kamen Rider shows be aired in October. But who cares if it looks bad or not just wait until the first episode comes out and make your own decision then.
bowspearer
Go Go!

Post by bowspearer »

takenoko wrote:I dunno, I never get what all the fuss is over something that hasn't come out yet. Most people change their minds once the show actually starts anyway.
At the end of the day, I think it comes down to the whole marketing machine and 0our responses to it. Noone has seen an episode as yet, but we've had not just the 15 second promo, but several press releases and magazine scans by Toei and Bandai to try and get us hyped about the series. From that, you essentially get 3 types of responses - people who love it, people who are disappointed with what they see but hope things turn out much better when the show airs (which it's worth pointing out is where I am) and those who hate what they see and have no intentions of the show swaying them.

What I think has made things worse here is that one of the releases which came out a while back is that Toei have been militantly preventing leaks, whilst we've had a typical marketing campaign. It's entirely possible that there is some significant point of difference with Drive to make it stand on its own, but that the combination of marketing approach and censoring of leaks, has buried it for now. Hopefully that's the case and this series wins me over.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I don't think prevention of leaks is a bad thing at all. I think they want people to tune in with little or no preconception of the show itself which it's a good thing. I don't see the obsession of knowing everything about a show before watching it. If I want to do that, I would just read Wiki summaries of everything. I suggest for the next Sentai or Kamen Rider (after Drive since you know too much about Drive already) that you don't read anything and just watch the promos. Just go in without the fully formed preconception and see if that's better for you.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote:I dunno, I never get what all the fuss is over something that hasn't come out yet. Most people change their minds once the show actually starts anyway.
pretty much exactly this.

after all, who went into Gaim thinking "the theme is fruit, and they transform by having a giant fruit fall on their head after using a "fruit ninja" belt? sounds like the best idea ever!"? no one I know of. nearly everything I remember seeing before Gaim started was either pure hate for the design or cautious "let's see where it goes, but I feel like it won't go well." which is pretty much what we're getting here, right?

not saying I expect Drive to be the "best evar" or anything. it doesn't even have to be as good as Gaim, cause Gaim's setting a really high bar. so long as Drive is GOOD, that should be enough. so let's give it a chance to be good, shall we?
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Phoenix512 wrote:I suggest for the next Sentai or Kamen Rider (after Drive since you know too much about Drive already) that you don't read anything and just watch the promos.
For me, that'd last until the first episode; then I'd see the scriptwriter and I'd get a preconception anyways. :lol:
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Well Mac, follow my advice as well.
Darkwings
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Darkwings »

So... Kamen Rider Gattiger then... ok.

Kamen Rider Drive is a lame name though. Pretty much any other motor-related word wouldn't sound so redundant. I like the suit though.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

Darkwings wrote:So... Kamen Rider Gattiger then... ok.

Kamen Rider Drive is a lame name though. Pretty much any other motor-related word wouldn't sound so redundant. I like the suit though.
Maybe Kamen Driver Vroom!
squashy
Gabu
Dreamy: Koyomi-tan~
Favorite Actor?: Takamasa Suga
Favorite Band: Fall Out Boy
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Chokushi no Magan
Quote: I'm full of motivation!

Post by squashy »

Judging from the scans, Drive will also has the color scheme changing motif like Double, albeit not as unique. The writer must really favor the themes previously used in W :?

Depend on how they explore the main character's story, the police setting and the characteristics of the transformation trinkets, this can distinguish itself from W well enough, or no where near that...

I wonder what Drive's symbol looks like though.
Image RIDER HEADBUTT!!!

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”