KR Drive 01 released

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

How are you liking Drive so far?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:13 pm

5 Great
27%
4 Good
44%
3 Neutral
28%
2 Bad
2%
1 Terrible
No votes

Total votes: 64
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Re: KR Drive 01 released

Post by AxemYellow »

This episode doesn't leave a very good first impression. If I wasn't familiar with Kamen Rider, I might just quit watching here. Certain elements do seem interesting though.

Hopefully it'll hange, but I got the strong feeling that they've reduced the target demographic by a good 5-6 years compared to Gaim.

I keep wanting them to do police in a serious interesting way like they did in Kuuga and Agito, but they seem to be returning to treating police like a joke as they did in W.

I still hate Kiriko's hat.

This series (based on just the first episode) seems like Go-Onger meets Kabuto, with dashes of KR W and Wizard. I'm hoping that the villains will remain the serious threat they were presented as here.

I don't know how it will go in the future, but it seemed like they've return to the two-part story structure here with the monster surviving and the mystery not yet solved.

I'll keep watching this show, but I do hope they tone down the toy car silliness a little bit.

Also, I found some of the car sounds to be irritating.
[kuronogantzryu]
Everything is drama!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: Mirei Kiritani
Favorite Actor?: Tatsuya Fujiwara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by [kuronogantzryu] »

What was the cop that died in the freeze? An afterthought. I'd like to know who the dead person is before I empathize the protagonist on his loss.

The supporting cop characters (minus Kiriko) are even more annoying than Jinno and Makura in W. Too eccentric, much?

I thought the Driver being able to speak but not move unlike Kivat was boring but after seeing it emote, naw.

Not really feeling this series off the bat. Main protagonists who have a strong sense of justice because someone close to them died (in the first EP?!) turns me off, just like OOO.
Last edited by [kuronogantzryu] on Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I like it. Not a fan of the wheel on the suit, but the rest of the design is pretty nice.

As usual, won't judge everything based on the first episode, but with team W on the writing then I'm hoping it'll be good.
Vraptor140
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Vraptor140 »

takenoko wrote:Oh, you mean like use the logo on Drive's belt? That's probably a good idea.
Yes those were the ones, like here you can see Max Flare's and Funky Spike's in the top corner of each page.

Spoiler
bowspearer
Go Go!
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dairanger
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by bowspearer »

takenoko wrote: [09:38] <Phoenix512> the one guy will probably be "I told you this will be like W!"
Actually I said it would go one of 2 ways - either it would be a knock off of W with tokenistic window dressing, or this would go down as one of the worst PR campaigns in the history of Kamen Rider.

Man am I glad it was the later of the 2.

There seems to be so much going on here.

Spoiler
The idea of the apocalyptic beginning, the idea that the shift cars and the belt are sentient, the stoic detective torn between guilt and moving forwards. Then there's the fact that if the Shift Cars are "sentient" and essentially the Shift Cars and Viral Cores are essentially the same thing, I'm betting that the Shift Cars and possibly the belt itself are actually Roidmude themselves who are mounting an insurrection against the invasion. Kiriko apparently knowing alot and having at least 6 months' worth of explaining to do (thank goodness she's nowhere near as annoying as Akiko) Also the line "Drive the Kamen Rider" now makes complete sense in light of the Drive Driver taking control of Trydron briefly.

All in all, it was a really promising start to the series in terms of where this can head.
Dragg
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
My boom: Gym!

Post by Dragg »

My eyes hurt with the slowdown effects. Couldn't they have used a smoother slowdown instead of making it look like their video editor was acting up?

Not really liking the main character. I was really hoping for a more hotblooded character for a fast-paced hero.
flamefire28
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kamen Rider OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: gotta be Luka Millfy
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Lee Min Young MissA
Quote: I am the destroyer of all.

Post by flamefire28 »

From my point of view it started almost exactly like W someone dies in the beginning in front of the main character. the toy cars are mini den-liners and um well they kinda act like gaia memories with the tire changes being the elemental effect and the types being the main body, they even have the whole detective/police officer thing and the guy the main character gets information off of seems exactly like the one on W. Tho the belt was nice and I like the helmet of drive I'd say give it a few episodes to remove it from W-ness.
Image ImageImage
Bunkyo
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Makai no Hana
Dreamy: Mayuri
Favorite Band: Morning Musume
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by Bunkyo »

Not bad for a first ep, gave it a 4

Drive costume
--Black and red is always a good color combo

Kiriko
--I'm betting she'll be the secondary rider, or at least a rider.

Roidmude
--For a future ep: what's the significance of giving them numbers?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault

Post by takenoko »

It looks like there's going to be a set number of them, hence the numbering system. From the promo, they said Roidmude's are artificial life forms, so maybe they were produced and the numbers were their production number? Just my theory.

Outside information from the website:
Spoiler
On Toei's website, they list 108 slots, so I guess there'll be 108 of them in total.
minchi1983
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by minchi1983 »

My guess that the number system they used on Romuide is the same numbering system they used with the undead in kamen rider Blade where the developers can also drop in a Rare Romuide into the storyline and it will be harder for Drive to defeat.

The way they are using the romuide are going through pretty fast eventually they will run out and by then they will have another arc showing about other versions of Romuides that have been slumbering while the weak ones are roaming about...

You know...

Anyways its a great episode and hoping to see more XDD!!
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

There's a very common narrative device (and you can have your own opinion on its worth; I think it can be a little transparent sometimes, like in this episode) where the protagonist is shown to the audience either through them doing something good or having something bad happen to them. It's how you know this is the guy we're going to follow. So Shinnosuke here sees his partner die. That's the "tragic" lead-in.

The "heroic" lead-in would be something like Haruto appearing to save Rinko and the cops at the start of Wizard. Or more abstractly Tendou, despite not being the protagonist of his own series, constantly being a cool dude throughout the entire first episode of Kabuto so that you are completely unsurprised when Kabuto Zecter goes to him instead of Kagami.

e: oh yeah, just so that isn't a weird non-sequiteur, I'll say that it was a response in general to people saying that Hayase's death in the opening was cliched or whatever. It is, but that's not a bad thing. It's just a really relatable shorthand for why Shinnosuke is a lay-about now. His partner died, he's traumatized, and he's fallen so far that he's now in the X-Files department. Cliches and intertextual references are okay, they can even be good, because they quickly communicate ideas which would otherwise take maybe too long.
CaptainTalon449
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Quote: "This is our stage" -Kazuraba Kouta
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by CaptainTalon449 »

One thing bothers me is Drive's logo why is it an R and not a D
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault

Post by takenoko »

R for Rider?
kuroblack
Go Go!

Post by kuroblack »

Watching the raw version, I kept hearing Kiriko said "Omawari-san" instead of "Tomari-san". :lol:
Last edited by kuroblack on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FirenOh
Vaglass
Vaglass
Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Actor?: Mio Kudo
My boom: Hoshimachi Suisei
Type: INTP Architect

Post by FirenOh »

Just to clear things up, do the Roidmude effect time, gravity, or both?

Cool episode, cool Rider kick, cool belt, cool premise, not entirely sure about the characters though. Shinnosuke isn't really leaving that solid an impression on me, and his sidekick cop lady just seems to be a gimmick that will eventually slip into the background. However, it is the first episode, and I trust Sanjou as a writer with his world-building and side characters, so i remain optimistic.

Also I love the tire, it's rad.
"Absence diminishes little passions and increases great ones, as wind extinguishes candles and fans a fire." -Walt Whitman
Yes, you are certain Walt Whitman said that. One hundred percent positive.

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”