Shuriken Sentai Ninninger VS Kamen Rider Drive released

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Shuriken Sentai Ninninger VS Kamen Rider Drive released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Shuriken_S ... ider_Drive

I guess the scene where Brain sees the robo was pretty funny. I mean, it was funny last year, right?

What can I say? Sometimes the artificial conflict that they drum up to force heroes to fight each other just doesn't work. It forces characters like the chief or Belt-san to act out of character. And that's not good story telling.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Re: Shuriken Sentai Ninninger VS Kamen Rider Drive released

Post by DaVinci030 »

Hello, Red Racer (as Shocker's Doctor D)!!! I've recently seen him after Gokai 14 (CarRanger tribute).
takenoko wrote:I guess the scene where Brain sees the robo was pretty funny. I mean, it was funny last year, right?
Yeah... after Takatora, this time it's Brain, Medic and Heart. As always, it was so funny.

Too bad Sangou didn't use his finisher on Mach. Never mind then.

Edit: Oh... I always laughed at the the Ninningers use the Kawarimi no Jutsu to easily get out of the cell.
Spoiler
Fuuka's in trouble... next week.

Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

What I like about here is, Takaharu has more characterization than in his own show. He didn't just dash off and yell at everything like a 2-dimension idiot, he managed to gain Shinnosuke's trust, and he used his brain to reveal the Youkai from that puddle. And like a real Red Ranger, he cheer up his team and regained the team spirit when everyone's down and lost.

Grandpa is awesome like always.

And that trailer totally spoiled the movie for me. Up till now all of the trailer showed Sangou as the bad guy.

takenoko wrote:I guess the scene where Brain sees the robo was pretty funny. I mean, it was funny last year, right?
If they use to again next year, Toei is just really out of ideas. A joke only work once.
takenoko wrote:What can I say? Sometimes the artificial conflict that they drum up to force heroes to fight each other just doesn't work. It forces characters like the chief or Belt-san to act out of character. And that's not good story telling.
At least they try to explain it with "people hearts are being distorted with the world". But yeah, even if the chief follows the brass's orders like a cop is somewhat normal, Belt-san is totally out of character by simply letting others disappear and die.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

A bit disappointing this year. I think last year’s special worked so well because the themes of the shows - searching for and protecting your hometown - complimented each other. We don’t have the benefit of that similarity this year, so the writers feel obliged to not only have the teams fight each other, but to pull a “characters from different universes collide” plot. I guess it’s too much to hope that we could get some consistency within the Super Hero Taisen series on that issue.

I agree that Takaharu was at his most likable in this episode. Conversely, the more established Drive characters come off surprisingly dumb and unlikable. They (initially) ignore evidence that the Ninningers didn’t generate the Heaviness of have anything in common with the Roidmudes they've been hunting, they (initially) refuse to believe that Youkai could exist despite everything else they’ve dealt with, Belt insists that it’s Shinnosuke’s duty as both a cop and Kamen Rider to let the Ninningers die and puts the investigation into the Roidmude on hold until they’ve dissolved, etc. Yes, there is that throwaway line about the dimensional distortion causing people to act differently, but that’s such a weak excuse.

On a positive note, I thought the episode did have some great humor, between everyone disappearing when Takaharu gets arrested and calmly drinking tea back at base, Takaharu sitting calmly through the interrogation, Kiriko making a very detailed transcript of the interrogation, the complete failure of the jail to contain any of the Ninningers, and Takaharu not knowing where to begin his investigation not once, but twice. I am also 100% okay with characters not believing that there’s giant robos running around the city being a running gag if they do these specials every year. It’s fun to have to something superficial tie them together, like the curry restaurant did for the sentai versus specials for so many years.

I know Shinnosuke has transformed in front of Roidmude before, but it struck me as odd that Tomari would introduce himself to Akaninger as he’s arresting him considering he’d have to bring Takaharu down to the station and the rest of the squad is still in the dark about his exploits as Drive.

Speaking of Takaharu, it felt in a lot of respects like Takaharu was acting as a substitute for Go in this episode. They both refer to Shinnosuke informally, they both joke that Kiriko is Shinnosuke’s girlfriend, and they both back-up Shinnosuke whether it’s in his investigation or hands-on battles.

UFOmaru being the oldest Otomo Nin supports what Grandpa said last week about the team’s technology. I think we can also extrapolate that UFOmaru is older than Kyuuemon since it disappeared first. They’re little details, but it’s fun to use them to try and piece together the bigger picture.

Also, Sangou’s suit is gorgeous. The GP movie sounds like it may be a mess plot-wise, but at least it'll be pretty to watch.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>UFOmaru being the oldest Otomo Nin supports what Grandpa said last week about the team’s technology. I think we can also extrapolate that UFOmaru is older than Kyuuemon since it disappeared first. They’re little details, but it’s fun to use them to try and piece together the bigger picture.

I dunno how reliable that is. Since Grandpa and Dad are probably older than UFOmaru too, at least Grandpa is since he made it? Unless the implication is that Grandpa took an actual UFO and changed into into ninja robos.

Agreed about Sangou's suit. It looks fantastic, and when you see it next to Ichigou and Nigou, you can see where it takes its influence. It's both modern and retro. For the longest time I thought it was based on the The First designs.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Take, bad news: the audio is out of sync on the HD version.:( It's especially noticeable after the 35 minute mark or so. I'd say the audio is about 200ms ahead at that point. And yesterday's QC files didn't have this problem, so this is new to this encode.
Last edited by ViRGE on Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Overall I liked this year's spring break special, and I think Toei should continue these, but I must admit that last year's was probably stronger.

On the positive side, I think they've managed to improve on the formula overall. ToQ vs. Gaim had very distinct Sentai and Rider parts; 7:30 was ToQger co-starring Gaim (the rider), and 8:00 was Gaim (the series) co-starring ToQ 1. This year's special doesn't feel so split. There's still arguably a Sentai half and a Rider half (especially with the first half including the mecha fight), but there's more of the Rider characters in the first half and more of the Sentai characters in the second half.

On the other hand they also have to seem to evolved this to the Rider & Sentai Red special. The vast majority of the focus was on Shinnosuke and Takaharu. The other characters for each series were only lightly used, and the other Ninningers received almost no footage out of suit, whereas Takaharu was out of suit more than he was in. Because this is a double-length episode I'm sure they have to make careful use of the actors' time since they're filming a weekly serial, but it kind of felt like there was only 1 real Ninninger here.

I'd also rant about Toei and nostalgia, but after all of these years I've run out of things to say. Suffice it to say, not every team-up needs Shocker (or other Showa era villains) to appear. I did however love Doctor D's voice; it's just so overdone and grandstanding that it's awesome.

Unfortunately there are enough plot holes in this special that you could drive a trailer cannon through them. The Chief and Steinbelt suddenly being so gung-ho about the Ninningers being evil is just out of character; the Chief is a lazy mystic, and Steinbelt is more thoughtful than that. Which considering that this special was written by Drive's main writer, makes that all the more odd. And then there's the fact that the MOTW can totally kick the Ninninger's butts by using The Heavyness, but never uses it after the 10 minute mark (and particularly not when he is in fact getting destroyed).

The fighting, as always, was top notch. They didn't do anything crazy here, but that's what I like about these specials. The movies are so overdone - massive explosions, massive CGI, etc - that I'm glad to get specials done on a TV scale such as this.

Finally, the ending credits were a bit of a letdown. Rise Up Your Flag is admittedly hard to beat, but this year we got neither a rocking song nor an amusing credits scene. Rather what we get is a trailer for the movie. Which if not for that, I would say this year's special is about on-part with last year's special for advertising heavy-handedness.

Edit: The setting of this special also reinforces the fact that it was aired out of order on the Drive side. It slots in perfectly for Ninninger, but chronologically it clearly was meant to come before Drive 23 since Go still has a working belt.
takenoko wrote:>UFOmaru being the oldest Otomo Nin supports what Grandpa said last week about the team’s technology. I think we can also extrapolate that UFOmaru is older than Kyuuemon since it disappeared first. They’re little details, but it’s fun to use them to try and piece together the bigger picture.
It's a plot hole, I figure. The idea that Grandpa isn't the oldest thing there is exceptionally hard to buy. And I'm stuck trying to figure out how Kyuuemon isn't older yet, since he supposedly served alongside Kiboni hundreds of years ago.
PHurricane wrote:I am also 100% okay with characters not believing that there’s giant robos running around the city being a running gag if they do these specials every year. It’s fun to have to something superficial tie them together, like the curry restaurant did for the sentai versus specials for so many years.
I'll second that.
gumbyx84
Favorite series: Go-Onger
Favorite Actor?: Mikoto Amano

Post by gumbyx84 »

I enjoyed the crossover special. Liked it more than the Toqger/Gaim crossover. I like how they lead into the Drive movie. I wasn't expecting it. Funny how Go and the others have no idea there were Kamen Riders before them. I guess it's similar to Fourze where they were just myth and legend.
ViRGE wrote:Take, bad news: the audio is out of sync on the HD version.:( It's especially noticeable after the 35 minute mark or so. I'd say the audio is about 200ms ahead at that point. And yesterday's QC files didn't have this problem, so this is new to this encode.
I just posted about the sync issue but didn't see your post. Happy it's not just me.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I don't know why there would be a desync. The numbers for the cut line up and I don't see any repeating scenes in the text scrolling scene. Is it possible the large file size is just causing lag on your players?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:I don't know why there would be a desync. The numbers for the cut line up and I don't see any repeating scenes in the text scrolling scene. Is it possible the large file size is just causing lag on your players?
If it was, then my copy of last year's special would be out of sync as well.

Anyhow, I've tried this with multiple players. They're all out of sync. Go to 44:40, the car door shutting and Sangou talking are especially noticeable.
Barim
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: SS: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: KR: Ryuki
Favorite Band: Queen

Post by Barim »

Out of sync audio? So that's why I thought Doctor D was overdubbed...
Spoiler
Once the Heron to set his path,
Twice the Heron to name him true,
Once the Dragon for remembrance lost,
Twice the Dragon for the price he must pay.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/126ao8qsvb2f1 ... e.avi?dl=0

That's our work raw. Is it in sync there at least?
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

ViRGE wrote:Edit: The setting of this special also reinforces the fact that it was aired out of order on the Drive side. It slots in perfectly for Ninninger, but chronologically it clearly was meant to come before Drive 23 since Go still has a working belt.
Nothing Toei or TV Asahi could do about that. Couldn't air it before Ninninger 5 because UFOmaru debuts there. Toqger 46's pre-emption is still having effects. They film two months ahead don't they?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Digifiend wrote:
ViRGE wrote:Edit: The setting of this special also reinforces the fact that it was aired out of order on the Drive side. It slots in perfectly for Ninninger, but chronologically it clearly was meant to come before Drive 23 since Go still has a working belt.
Nothing Toei or TV Asahi could do about that. Couldn't air it before Ninninger 5 because UFOmaru debuts there. Toqger 46's pre-emption is still having effects. They film two months ahead don't they?
Something like that, yeah (you can tell it's damn cold in some of those shots). And I agree, there's nothing Toei could do here. It was lose-lose either way. It's just an interesting artifact.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Not feeling it to be honest. I know this is going to become a thing now, and as much as I hate these sentai/rider crossover movies every year, these episodes are even worse.

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”