KR Drive 27 released

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: KR Drive 27 released

Post by ViRGE »

Boy, this episode went to a dark place quickly. Go gets in a physical fight with his sister, and that's only 3 minutes in. And then Shinnosuke getting suspended, and parents kicking their kid...

Still, this was a really good episode. I like it when things get serious, and it doesn't get much more serious than this. We finally at least partially understand why Go is so hell-bent on destroying the Roidmude, and while I don't think it's fair to the viewer that Banno is his father (especially in a police/detective themed show, you should really follow the fair play whodunnit rules), a "sins of the father" scenario does make it very captivating.

Speaking of which, it never occurred to me until now just how prevalent father stories are in Kamen Rider. Phillip had his father, the big bad, Kengo had his space-stranded father, there was the White Wizard, and now the matter of both Shinnosuke and Go's fathers. In retrospect, I suppose I should have seen this twist coming.

Though I thought it was Beltstein who made the Roidmude, not Banno? They haven't touched on their genesis too much, so I'm still a bit lost on who did what to create the Roidmude, and when exactly this all happened. The Roidmude were only created in the last couple of years, right?

Meanwhile I like the fact that Brain tricked Shinnosuke (it's good to see Brain being brainy), but it seems like it has a plot hole you could drive a Tridoron though. They got into a fight immediately outside of a police station; in fact Brain went Roidemude inside said station. Between the outside and the inside there should be at least half a dozen cameras that caught the whole thing and can prove Shinnosuke's innocence. Also, it seems to me that there's a distinct lack of building destruction when Shinnosuke transforms indoors. That giant tire should be leaving holes in walls every time he does that.:P

Finally, I have to say I really liked the suburban row house setting for some reason. It seems like we rarely see fights or other action sequences in a residential environment, particularly anything away from apartments. With all the homeowners fighting at the end, it makes for a very frightful scene.
takenoko wrote:I love Nira's villainy. He takes such delight in being an ass. It's an artform.
It really is. I in no way hate Go less, but I wouldn't complain in the slightest if Shinnosuke gave Nira a quick break of the neck the next time he's in Shinnosuke 's face. He plays the petulant ass role so very well...
Lunagel wrote:Seeing as we're over halfway in now, you'd think the villains' intentions would be more clear or at least vaguely stated. Right now all I know is they want to evolve so they can...? I don't know, take over the world? Have more friends. It's all so confusing and complex that I really can't empathize with any of the characters because I don't know what's going on in the story.
Agreed. The villains have not been well developed so far. Medic was kind of a threat for 2 episodes and now she's not? We at least know who 001 is now, but we don't know anything about his end goal.

On the other hand, maybe, possibly we are finally getting some progress with Chase? He wants his memories back. If that can happen, maybe he'll finally be a character who actually says more than a few lines...
Last edited by ViRGE on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Nah, Beltstein just created the engine core generator whatever thing that gave the Roidmude life. So in a sense, both Rider and Roidmude have the same "power", so at least we're keeping that tradition alive.
MagusKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: The whole world is insane, we just have to be sane enough to accept it

Post by MagusKaiser »

I honestly think this is a good one even though we don't get much on the whole plot and drive behind the roidmudes we atleast get to see some of Go's reasoning but the whole out of time thing is still a mystery, on a side note does anyone else feel that a good old fashioned railroad spike through Nira's head would improve his manners? I seriously dislike this guy and hope karma bites him where it hurts eventually especially after his appearance in this episode creeper factor twenty much with the way he was gloating about shinnosuke getting suspended because of 001's trap
Vraptor140

Post by Vraptor140 »

Ugh, I really hate when we get into these "non mystery" plots, we know who 001 is, we and the special division know who Brain is, so seeing them pull this masquerade is very irritating cause we're just counting down the time till it all gets taken down, there is no intrigue. Plus as it's been said, there are just so many ways in that Brain's trick shouldn't have worked to begin with.

And well, I don't know what to say about Go, I just kinda ignore him at this point. And yes while it's a valid reason for his behavior he's still acting like a big jerk and just taking it all out on Chase doesn't help his case, they seem to be setting them as lasting rivals with the current OP being an example and I don't want to see more of that.
Virgo Angel
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Ninja Sentai Kakuran
Dreamy: Gentarou Kisaragi
Favorite Actor?: Sota Fukushi
My boom: Junya Ikeda

Post by Virgo Angel »

Lunagel wrote:I highly doubt the two-parent idea, Japan's system doesn't really lend itself to single mothers that well, plus we've never, ever seen a single mother on a tokusatsu show before (iirc). It's more likely they came up with this plot twist recently and are just retroactively putting it in the show.

Actually pretty sure that In Dairanger that Kbarangers mom was by herself be t because hs father died or she left him but hs father was never in the picture unless i'm remembering wrong.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Spoiler for the end of Dai:
Spoiler
I'm pretty sure Shadam was the father of Kou and his evil brother

Anyway, MagiMother started off as a single mother too, for a more recent example. I think there are a lot of Japanese protagonists that are just raised by the mother, who leave to find what their father's legacy was. It's a common trope.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Yeah, but they were originally *married*, and then became single.
Strykor
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Quote: Ever have one of those flashbacks...

Post by Strykor »

I wonder... could Chase have Gou as part of his human template, or... no, it can't be that. Could Chase and Gou be twin 000?
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

Strykor wrote:I wonder... could Chase have Gou as part of his human template, or... no, it can't be that. Could Chase and Gou be twin 000?
If this is true, EVERYONE will be going, "LE GASP, WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?"
dryedmangoez
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by dryedmangoez »

Strykor wrote:I wonder... could Chase have Gou as part of his human template, or... no, it can't be that. Could Chase and Gou be twin 000?
That would then mean Chase and Kiriko... are siblings?!

I would like that actually. Seeing their sexual tension killed by the prospect of incest would be hilarious and welcome. I usually enjoy shipping couples, but their whole "I believe in you!" story has been either annoying, slow or forced. Kyu's 2-ep focus did more for the "sympathize with Roidmudes" feeling than anything Kiriko has said or done.
Sentai_ZXR7
Infinity
Quote: Ready for the Next Challenge

Post by Sentai_ZXR7 »

WannaFantaMan depiction of Gou Shijima transformation in Mach is hilarious, I can't say more :lol:
Nira is an odious character, Heart is more calm even tought he is one of the baddies, Brain is a toesucker wanting to get attention and Medic is sinister as well.
Things in this episode got out of control, the producers need a hit in the head and bring something enjoyable, not stupid ideas that not fit in a program.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

I honestly don't see how Go is as annoying as everyone claims him to be.
Chaser's fight scene feel like they are going to be some of the coolest. He's so in control. But then again that could change. The 2nd/3rd Rider is always pretty amazing for like 2 or 3 episodes then he becomes a scrub. But who knows.
miryoku
Adventure
Quote: Blacking tosh.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by miryoku »

Meh, if they would have developed Go "plot twist" more, like hinting at it in previous episodes, it would have been good but now it just seem to be made at the last minute just for Go to have "deep" reason for his hate but instead it backfired at least for me.
Ximara
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Marvel
Quote: "Where'd you get the name Ximara?"
"It's my nobody name."

Post by Ximara »

Lunagel wrote:I highly doubt the two-parent idea, Japan's system doesn't really lend itself to single mothers that well, plus we've never, ever seen a single mother on a tokusatsu show before (iirc). It's more likely they came up with this plot twist recently and are just retroactively putting it in the show.
I dunno, I kinda thought Hikari's mom from Toqgers was a single mom. I mean they never explicitly said but it's was I took away from the explanation of his home life he gave. He said he spent a lot of his time with his grandmother because his mother worked most of the time, he never mentioned a father so I just assumed single mom.

How has Nira not been arrested for sexual harassment yet? If the childish laughing wasn't enough he did a creepy full on body rub on Shinnosuke's back and exhaled into his face. I was like...no...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ximara wrote:How has Nira not been arrested for sexual harassment yet? If the childish laughing wasn't enough he did a creepy full on body rub on Shinnosuke's back and exhaled into his face. I was like...no...
Because it's not sexual in nature?

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”