Ratings Poll: Kamen Rider Drive

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

How do you find Drive?

***** Luxury Drive
23%
**** Let's go for a Drive
39%
*** Cruise control
29%
** Stop, then go
4%
* Stop, don't go
5%

Total votes: 97
Hanadi Sensei
Favorite series: Toqger, W, Drive, Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Shinkenger, Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Mio of ToQger and Tsukasa of LuPat
Favorite Band: Hello Sleepwalkers
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Cosplay ROM

Re: Ratings Poll: Kamen Rider Drive

Post by Hanadi Sensei »

Gave it a 4. At first I really don't like Drive's design and Chris Peppler's voice still sounds like he's still hosting Tokyo Eye in NHK. But eventually I never really care about Drive's design and focused on the story. Also had my eyes fully opened on Kiriko...www

Love the comedy, too. I think it balances the seriousness surrounding every episode.
What keeps me interested in this show is what will happen after all Roidmudes are defeated. Will they let Chase live? Or will they let some Roidmudes live with humans and happily evolve together?w Who knows...
Skeith
7X
Quote: I'm.....right here.

Post by Skeith »

1 or 2 for me.

I just can't enjoy this one. I don't like the belt, I don't like the forms, I don't like Go, I don't like the villains, I don't like the support cast, etc.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

Apparently I rated this 2 a while back. Now it's a 3 and I hope for better by the end. Things are starting to get really good, but were hampered by terrible comedy and repetitive plots in the first half of the series.
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

I feel like Drive is a late bloomer. Its boring and slow at the beginning but its slowly blossoming to become a beautiful flower (I hope >_<)
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Renigami »

My thoughts on Drive?

At first I was hugely skeptical, about basing a Kamen Rider around a car and where the plot would go in and the motivation of the sides. It is about thirty-one episodes and I feel that this is what Wizard should have been when it comes to emotion driven Kamen Rider series. Same with OOOs. It is the one that got it right when the main impetus of emotion is involved, though this time it is mainly about the emotions on motivation - hence Drive.

The Special Cases Department, it makes sense now and alludes to many temporary organizations set up for a certain task. Like a temporary task-force in a military organization or for a specific project. I feel that this very well applies here and all the more sense that it is a rag-tag group of misfit experts in an inconspicuous Japan DMV. Even Tomari is a bit hesitant and unmotivated at first in the dull day to day in-action of the Special Cases Department, before the cases started to pile on due to increased Roimude activity. I seen his motivation and drive grew with the series and it is fitting for the entire series based on motivation. Same with the villains on motivation but they are portrayed a bit shallow which is why I am not regarding Drive as high as say Gaim or Double, even Fourze to an extent, and pairing Drive to be more similar to OOOs or Wizard.

Kiriko, is the perfect sidekick character and buddy cop to Tomari. All around throughout you can see her drive in the Roimude rectification cause. However, her mind changed when she found out the origin of Proto-Drive/Chase. This hammered home during Kyuu's episode with his Roimude. Something that Gou has not been made clear of.

Speaking of which, Gou, is what I think Toei is showing kids as the jealous sibling at times, right down to the toys/powerup gimmick. It is about acceptance and already being confident to drive forward. Something that Gou learned with the debut of Formula. Still, a Mach specific upgrade would be nice, but that may never happen as we are already in the final stretch episodes to what I think is the main meat of the conflict. However, his motivation as now the conflict is a bit shallow. His reasoning is to correct his father's mistakes, but for it to run deep for twelve years? And for that time Kiriko was clueless about her father? It would make more sense that his conflict is based on their mother's death, as seen with them both at her grave, rather than Gou saying he needs to hurry and cover up Dr. Banno's mistake.

Gen, also grew, to the cause and understand the misfit organization that no other of the force recognizes. I am sure he eventually played along when he heard about Jun's heading of the small department when he requested Gen.

Yes the characters can be grossly exaggerated at times. I kind of expected that with Post-Decade series in a sense... Fourze had a reason though. Wizard... it was to the point of bland and annoying especially with the donut shop workers and Shuppei. Here? It is more disruptive than annoying in the mood setup with many of the cases and episodes. It is like it is fearing losing the kids attention and thus have to resort to the wacky gross exaggeration actions at times, rather than letting the mood be set with the kids. It is something that made the Pre-Decade Kamen Rider series a bit slow at time though, because there really wasn't a gauge of progression like what one sees with the Post-Decade series, like Double, Fourze, Gaim, or Drive.

Freeze/001 is reminiscent of the Weather Dopant. I don't think he would be around for long, but with the way the story is going, he maybe the final villain after all. Where Drive falls apart is how the Promised Number is less and less referenced, and more about evolution rather than gaining to the certain amount of evolved Roimudes. Heart seems to be downplayed as the series goes on to this point, which is why I also think that a Double is pulled and he is the final villain. Who knows? I look forward to it though. And there maybe something to Jun's frequent "business" trips. He maybe working his brass magic on his end behind the scenes, much like 001.

Also another disconnect is the timeline. When they mentioned the incident twelve years ago, Roimudes seem to be around alot longer causing chaos, but only now that Brain and Heart is causing trouble. I am not sure if the first Global Freeze is something accidental of a mistake by the higher-up Roimudes, but to me it is. Hence why I think 001 is doing his best to be as discrete as possible while pressing his kind for evolution, rather than a full destructive mode of about months ago if I am right with the Global Freeze incident. I am not sure how a bank robbery is important along with the Mr. X information clue. Perhaps that would be revealed in time but as of now, that is a messy wrench dropped in Drive's engine compartment. It is like Kiva all over again.

Even Rinna has character development. I sort of am a bit relating to her, wishing for a girlfriend. But perhaps she would have a happy ending with Gen, as that maybe out of nowhere but there is hints before in that episode involving the sound Roimude and Lover's Castle. When Rinna realized that Gen may have said his true intentions and mused on it after he said his bit during their portrayed wife/husband house moving in, it made sense for her to then become that concerned and attached to Gen.

As for the suits? Drive's initial type-speed is fitting but type-technic is a bit absurd, however none can compare with the type-formula in absurdity in bulk. It is one design that "had" to be done that way for the good and bad. The bad is that it is far bulky, more bulky than magnet-states. I am at awe that there are scenes with type-formula in Tridoron. But that is the only way to portray the very insane fast design and motif that Toei wanted all along with the formula car instead of making it stylized like type-speed or type-wild. The toys (I have the Driver Honoh) work EXCEPT the signal bikes with the recognition plate being awkwardly on one side of the bike. Again, this is a cornered design decision, having the signal bikes be just as like the shift-cars in moving when rolled, but have a way of being recognized without being expensive in a sense. I am not sure how expensive the RFID readers (I presume) of the WIzardriver or the OOOs scanner but that maybe the reason why such a setup is used, along with the plate being used as an anchor point for the shift-brace. The toys can be done better overall (with respect to the signal bikes, the circle on the Honoh driver could use a light up as well as the exhaust).

Off topic-ish: Definitely growing to like it so far, much like I grew to like Windows 8 (despite criticism, and yes on my pure desktop, no start menu alternatives) after 7 (realizing that I hardly and hated the dropdown reveal) and skipped Vista (like Gaim after a bad Wizard and now Drive). I hate to bring this simile, but it quite holds true. Even better as I am typing this on my Surface Pro 2.

Overall, a "Nice Drive".
godstriker8
Infinity

Post by godstriker8 »

Its like a poor man's W in every way, except the characters are nowhere near as endearing, the story is at a snail's pace for the first half of the show, and the comedy almost always falls flat. 2.
solari
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid

Post by solari »

The recent arc has been great so far
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

Well since Drive is almost over I might as well update my vote to a 4. The show has a rough start considering it was overshadowed by Gaim but i liked what they did to the characters and the villians during the second half of the season. My opinions for Go changed as I watched his character developed.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

After finishing the series and doing an in-depth analysis, I end up giving the series a 3 (which I had given back in May). Drive is now my 12th favourite KR series, just sneaking ahead of Fourze.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Drives great. Kind of a lull at the start but really gets going from the middle. It performed well following Gaim, which was a really strong series.

Heart best villain.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

I'm finally caught up! Easily my favorite series of all, but I have worked in the Motorsports industry since I was a teenager so I had a bit of a soft spot for the car-rider.

If I completely forget about Nira, which might be the worst of all the "annoying" characters (even topping Gai from Ryuki), I liked everything from the series. The villains were fantastic, with Banno being introduced at the perfect time in my opinion. I saw a lot of comments that he didn't make sense, but having a villain that just needs to die because he's a maniac was a good choice. Too often we see the final boss have some soliloquy to justify everything, but this time everyone was like, "Just kill this fool." Also, I don't think I'll ever not laugh at Chase's driver's license photo.

Definitely topping my favorites, I really enjoyed that.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
KemonoSoldierSunstar
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Miu Kazashiro
Favorite Actor?: Sota Fukushi
Favorite Band: Kishidan
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Samurai Troopers
Quote: Go down to the... SUGAR SHACK... and get a bread... BUT NOT TOO BIG--

JonTron

Post by KemonoSoldierSunstar »

Drive was pretty much my dream show, since I had wanted to see a series where the rider transfomred with some sort of vehicle concept. On top of that, it merged the concept of Kamen Rider with the idea of a cop drama, and I think it handled both aspects very competently.

I resonated pretty strongly with Shinnosuke as a character, having also had that time in my life where I felt like my brain had shifted into low gear. I loved Kiriko and Gou's character development over the course of the series. I thought that the support crew was all amazingly well put together and actually felt like a team. And most importantly, the villains actually make you feel sympathy for them once you get more of the information behind their existence.

And of course, Chase is a stone badass and impossible to hate.

My only real complaints with the series involve the overacting of Nira and... that eyefuck of a super mode called Formula. Seriously, to me, Formula was one of the ugliest suit designs ever and when the man who designed it goes to hell, he'll be wearing that suit for all eternity.

Overall, I would definitely rate it a 5.
SignalShadow
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Dreamy: Miu Sutou
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: T.S.
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Tic Tac

Post by SignalShadow »

Am I the only one who loved Go? He's easily my favourite Rider from this series.
I give it a 4. Pretty good, but it could've done something better in its earlier episodes.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

This is probably now my third favorite series after Ryuki and Kabuto... I loved the characters specially Kiriko, Chase, Heart and the only character that I didn't like was Go.

The spin off for this one are really good too specially Chaser saga and I'm looking forward to the Heart Saga/Movie...

I still think that is a great show and have probably the best riders in a long time Shinnosuke and Chase were so freaking cool... this shows reminds me to Jiban in a lot of ways :).
Final Vent!

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”