Drive & Gaim Movie Taisen Full Throttle released

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Drive & Gaim Movie Taisen Full Throttle released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... l_Throttle

That was amazingly good. Considering I was going into this thinking that they'll fuck Gaim up, I thought it was really good. It brings an emotional closure to Gaim (they should have brought back Kouta's sister though) and the teamup is one of the best for a Movie Taisen that I've seen. Also, the humor was used to great effect.

Before I get started, did anyone else notice all the sci-fi references in the movie?

Gaim part:
If you had to do a Gaim epilogue, this was the way to do it. Kouta and Mai's story are done. They're creating bunnies and probably doing it all the time to start their new race of fruit humans. It's awesome for them. Taking Kouta out of the mix for most of it was great. We get to see the Kureshima brothers really shine. Mitsuzane works to atone for all his mistakes in the main story, we see the revival of Takatora as a badass. And seeing them fight together really seals the deal that they've put past misgivings behind them.

The villain was kind of interesting. I mean, he's essentially the Borg. That said, it does bother me that he beat a space god as easily as he did. And he captured Mai alive, but turned everyone else into data? Why did he do that again? And he can bring people back to life as machines, even though he's never met them before. And why did only Ryouma get the weird face mask, T2 mouth? Kaito didn't have a weird mouth thing.

Continuity check, where did Mitsuzane get a second Sengoku Driver?

Drive part:
I actually thought this was kind of messy. Tomari didn't seem to know what he was doing the majority of the time. That said, best acting award for man mourning his talking belt. (To beat a dead horse, that's more than we saw for Haruto and Koyomi) I suppose it was interesting to see Mach as a constant stalker presence rather than a one note cameo at the end? This movie reminded me that Drive did a bunch of things like his finisher kick and that his car transforms that hasn't been as apparent lately now that we're in the thick of the series.

Full Throttle:
Like I said earlier, I felt like this was a great team up. I think that Toei thinks that people seeing a million heroes fight a million grunts is what makes a teamup great. But no. What makes a teamup great are the intimate moments. Like Drive using Gaim's gear and going "neat, this is Japanese style" or them showing each other how to use each other's weapons. Or Kouta introducing himself to Tomari as a space god. And then their powered-up forms being too bulky to fit in Tridoron, so they have to transform into their base forms. Stuff like that.

It makes me wonder who wrote the team-up part. Since we know Haganeya Jin wrote the Gaim part (best we can do without Urobuchi) and Sanjou Riku (main Drive writer) wrote the Drive part.

Finally, the end credit is awesome looking. You can tell real effort was put into this movie. Case in point, when Tridoron is flying down the trench to blow up the core. In another Taisen movie, this would be the boringest, CGI fuckfest, brain-turn-off part of the movie. But seeing Gaim and Drive interact and actually do stuff (and mercifully keeping this section short and well paced) made it fine. It's okay if it's not great, just don't make it terrible to watch or an obvious CGI monstrosity.

Let me just rewrite that without the unnecessary cynicism. This movie was good and you can tell the people working on it cared about the two series.
DevGryphon
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: SKYRIM!!
Quote: Define normal...
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Drive & Gaim Movie Taisen Full Throttle released

Post by DevGryphon »

takenoko wrote:Continuity check, where did Mitsuzane get a second Sengoku Driver?
He picked it up when he defeated Robo-Kurokage.

Anyway, this movie was awesome. It was a good wrap-up for Gaim, we got to see the Kureshima Bros. fight together (they fight together pretty well plus Takatora's henshin into Zangetsu Shin was one of the coolest henshins that I've seen in a while), we saw Kaito's return and subsequent moment of badassery, and the fight scenes were put together really well. The Drive part was pretty good as well. I thought that Lupin was cool, his Rider form was a bit gaudy but that should've been expected from a thief. The Taisen part was well done. I liked Drive Arms' design, especially the way that it incorporated Drive's symbol into Gaim's helmet crest while still making it look like his normal crest. Type Fruit looked kinda weird but I liked it as well. The colors of the armor matched up with the colors of Gaim's armor and it looked pretty good on Drive. The end battle was well done, it was short, sweet, and had character interaction in it which most end battles in other movies don't have.

All that being said, I can't really find anything wrong. The writers did a good job and you can tell that they cared and put massive effort in keeping true to both series.
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking. If you cheat, may you cheat death; if you steal, may you steal a woman's heart; if you fight, may you fight for a brother; if you drink, may you drink with me.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Fun fact time: So the Dragon Fruit Lockseed in the movie is a bit different in the one used in the Baron part of Gaim Gaiden. In Gaim Gaiden, the part number is ELS-PROTO while in the movie it's ELS-HEX. I'm guessing good old Megahex decided to put a bit of his name in the Dragon Fruit Lockseed.

I really did like the aspect of the everyone else trying to save Earth without their god, Kouta-sama. It remind me a bit of the Buu Saga in DBZ where Goku tries to hand off protecting the Earth to the people themselves instead of him except Kouta probably wouldn't do that. I was annoyed with the Roidmude showing up when Micchi was trying to save Mai. At that point, there was nothing suggesting Megahex picked up any data on the Roidmude. I just didn't see any point of having them there where a bunch of Inves would have been fine.

The Drive part was fine which it perfectly ties in to the recent episode 32 where both Tomari and Belt-san dies. So Belt-san has die three times now.

The Full Throttle part bothers me a great deal. Suddenly Zadame and Tokyo are right next to each other and no one notices in Tokyo there's a giant Hex in the sky. It really seem unnecessary to combine Gaim and Drive's powers just because there needs to be a combination form. The character interactions were great and all but we shouldn't get like 15 minutes for it. The Teamup portions of these movies are just poorly written and could be done a lot better if it was an actual Sentai VS. The last great teamup part to me was with Megamax.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Gaim:
takenoko wrote:And he can bring people back to life as machines, even though he's never met them before.
Megahex copied Kouta's memories from the very beginning, so he probably just pulled them from there. Now, why Ryouma becomes Bane I've no idea. He fairly conclusively died in the main series, so this isn't original flavor Ryouma, despite him talking like his consciousness was one with Megahex. Takatora wearing just the Zangetsu Shin base suit before donning the armor was so cool. I'm a sucker for the actors in the undersuit type stuff.

Drive:
When Tomari outs Kiriko as Lupin, he just casually drops "Belt-san" and "ZZZ" in the conversation with the remaining Special Dept. people behind him. Pretty sure this takes place before he's revealed as the Kamen Rider so uh, shut your mouth, Tomari!! AND LUPIN AND TOMARI CASUALLY JUMPING THROUGH STAINED-GLASS WINDOWS, YOU JERKS. I really like Lupin's design and skills, his armor is flashy in exactly the right way, and the filmstrip aesthetics were really well done. We got to see a tiny bit more of Belt-san's human form, too. He's sort of an older/weathered Tony Stark!

Full Throttle:
The humor was great ("I'm a space god... I guess?"), and while I wish they would have lingered on the personal exchanges a bit more, I realize they don't have time for it. And brevity is the soul of wit anyway... Personally, I thought the crossover suits were hideous and unnecessary. I guess they were a cash-grab, if they sold toys of them? Dunno.

Kaito dropping to his knees at the destruction of Megahex cos he was just a summoned robot... Ow my heart :(
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

This is actually a Gaim movie with some Drive parts tagged along.

Gaim's part is awesome, although the way Kouta's return is just bs. The Kureshima brothers are the main guys here, and they did it very well. I was thinking why Kaito, being one of the main 4 Riders, isn't here. But they brought him back in the third part, and it's nice that he's being himself of turning against Megahax. A very nice conclusion to the Gaim story with all the remaining Riders gathered together at the end.

Drive's part, even though I work on Drive I'm sorry to say this, I find it really boring. Nobody knows what nobody's doing, it's all over the place. Shinnosuke has no planning at all. He thought he could trap Lupin in the church, but Lupin just simply jumped out the window. And his recklessness of going after Lupin instead of Kiriko nearly killed them both. He dumped Tridoron into the sea and go against Lupin with no weapon at all. It's damn cool to say "I'll stop you and save the girl!", but as it is I don't see how was he going to accomplish it. He shouldn't need to count on a broken belt, which was already stated as not fixable, to suddenly reactive and save his ass.

Though the best part is when Shinnosuke mourns Belt-san.

The taisen part, I never enjoy these parts of the movie. Forced partnership is forced, I can never relate them, who just met 5 minutes ago, to be able to trust each other enough and fight together without reservation.
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Pretty much nothing to add, everyone's already said everything I thought or felt about the movie.

...with one exception. It is the goddamn OLDEST FUCKING TROPE IN THE BOOK to kidnap the woman and hold her hostage and we get it not once but TWICE in this movie?! WHAT. THE HELL.

I hate the damsel in distress trope but tokusatsu seems insistent on keeping it around for reasons that baffle me. The Micchi/Mai one I didn't mind so much because he kind of saw it as redemption for himself so there was a character-driven reason, but the Drive one just fell flat. She didn't even get rescued by Shinnosuke, Tridoron did it. If you're going to capture one of them then I feel like it would have been funnier to do the Chief or Gen or maybe have just given Kyuu-chan a box set of anime and sent him off to his room for a week (it worked before!).

Good movies, bad trope.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I was rethinking about this movie and will probably going to be hated for this statement but I think Baron shouldn't have been in the movie at all. Hear me out on this. Baron was basically 1A to Gaim. In this movie, he gets to reduce to a bit player at best. It remind me of Sasuke's appearance in the most recent Naruto movie. He was better off not being in the movie than in the movie itself.

I would be more okay with Baron's appearance if he had a greater role in the movie like Ryouma had. I would even prefer Baron replaced Ryouma in the movie and have Takatora try to convince Baron to break Megahex's loyalty.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Bonus footage

Post by takenoko »

Sing my song for you MV

Great song. I loved seeing the actors singing together. It looked like they had a real fun time doing it.

Dragon Energy Fruit LS Promo

Buy a Dragon Energy Fruit Lock Seed. Buy it. Never mind it makes no sense for the cyborg version of Ryouma to have it. And why are you wearing a mask? What's wrong with youuuur faaaaaace?

I'm also a dummy and didn't distro the files, so if I could get some help with the initial seeding, I'd be ever so grateful. Pssst, don't tell people that there's direct download links. It's a secret to everybody.

SD link

HD Link
kyoichikiller90
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: KR Agito/Kabuto
Dreamy: Akiyama Nana
Favorite Actor?: Hongo Kanata
Favorite Band: Maroon 5
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: ONORE DECADE
Quote: Ore wa hitori dake jubun da. Dare mou tomete nai, dare mou jama wa saseru nai. Sa... Omae-tachi kakatte koi yo.
Type: ESTP Promoter

Post by kyoichikiller90 »

man.. Gaim part feels like watching Gaim Gaiden where the main hero was Zangetsu.. I can give 10/10 Gaim part best part of movie taisen this year
TsubasaGaro
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: 翼 を はばたけ
牙 を むき出し
俺は 挑戦者 だ

Post by TsubasaGaro »

Taking into consideration the events of this movie, Gaim's ending and Drive's start, it means that the Earth had near apocalyptic invasions no less than twice and Zawame getting the short end of the stick in any series, being destroyed then getting smashed up again in the process of rebuilding.

It was a decent movie with good chemistry between the Riders. It didn't make sense to me how Gaim and Drive took minutes to fight one Megahex while Kaito just made explosions into a whole swarm of them with a single swing of his Banaspear.
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

Loved the film, Nice to see Ryouma back, I remember there being a number of reasons why he came back the way he did, all of them involving some time travel nonsense. at Kaito's return I practically shouted at Megahex going "Don't bring him back, he will crush you!". Brain, Heart and Chase's involvement in the end was understandable and not "hey let's just throw more fan service in"

Definitely one of the few crossover movie's that i will go back too.

Also after having watched the MV, I love the shot of Chase, Heart and Brain, Chase looks so happy <3
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Uzur9 »

My only gripe with this is when we get to see them. Gaimu half I enjoyed thought it was a good ending cap. But Drives part felt odd since we are in the last arc of the show (Drives half takes place around Ep.5 or so)

*EDIT* Thanks Mandalori for the correction.
Last edited by Uzur9 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Around episode 10 in fact. It's mentionned in the one before the Winter Break, where Medic get revived. He's mentionned by the guy that appear in episode 0.
gumbyx84
Favorite series: Go-Onger
Favorite Actor?: Mikoto Amano

Post by gumbyx84 »

I gotta say, the movie wasn't half bad. The Gaim half seemed a bit epic than the Drive half, but it was still a fun ride (pun intended). I'm not sure if it's my favorite crossover though. I haven't seen enough of them to know. I really liked Fourze and Wizard Taisen just because of the humor and character growth of Gentarou.

Two questions: Why is Lupin's final attack "Strush" instead or "rush"? Also Not sure if it was a translation mistake or just me not hearing collectly but at 56:13 Tomari calls Belt-san "Belt-sama". Am I just crazy?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

The Strush is apparently a Japanese portmanteau (we have the captions so we know it's right). It's apparently a combination of the words "strike" and "rush".

>56:13 Tomari calls Belt-san "Belt-sama". Am I just crazy?

I don't know you well enough to say, but I hear nothing like that at that time stamp. He doesn't even address Belt in those lines.

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”