Drive & Gaim Movie Taisen Full Throttle released

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
Galada
Go Go!

Re: Drive & Gaim Movie Taisen Full Throttle released

Post by Galada »

You know what, this wasn't so bad. I gave up watching Kamen Rider movies because of how shitty and similar to each other they were. The only one I really likes was that Fourze one in which they go space and Wizard appear, but your comments on this one convinced me to give this one a try, even though I'm a Gaim fanboy. And who would have thoguth, this was pretty fun to watch.

The beggining is the best part. The effects are pretty good, the story is interesting, the villain's design is cool and, overall, the Gaim part is a nice followup for the series (even though I think that Gaim's story should have ended in the penultimate episode, save the last scene of the last episode, and screw the movies). The fight scenes are cool.

Drive part was ok I guess. Shinnosuke's reasoning was pretty stupid, even considering the series' reasonings at the beggining, but I could take the rest. I thoguth that they would finally reveal why Shinnosuke is the only one that can turn into Drive (which would be pretty stupid, reveal such an important point in a movie instead of the actual series), but it was just a motivational thing. That thing that he did at the end was pretty reckless, by the way. But about Mach's appearance... Go, I know you need to make you tease, make the fans watching at the theater go crazy for the reveal of the new Rider and all, but couldn't you, you know... help? It's an alien invasion, for fuck's sake.

And the crossover... I really don't like this structure of "30-minutes of previous Rider, 30-minutes of present Rider, 30-minutes of crossover (which was, you know, the reason you paid the ticket to begin with)" that they are doing lately, it gives me the impression of three episodes badly strapped together, and I think this one is the worst case of this format. Drive's part had barely something to do with anything.I really feared that Kaito would turn against Kouta even though he recognized him as the strongest at the end, but I sighed in relief when he turned against the Megahex guy. Speaking of him, I'm really tired of the cliché of the villain being a hivemind group, kinda like the Borgs from Star Trek, and be all like "hurr screw individuality durr be one of of us is so much better", specially when they act through individuals, like the Megahex guy and Ryouma. And, for machines, they surely are very sentiment-based. And the way the crossover powers were introduced was forced ("Drive, Gaim, join your powers because yes"), but the utilization was pretty cool.

It's flawed, sure, and I think most of my problems come from the fact that I think too hard about stuff I shouldn't be so much concerned about in a kids show. I still think that the Fourze movie that I mentioned earlier is the best Kamen Rider movie that I saw until now. But this one can easily take the second place. Pretty interesting and fun.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Gaim:

A good directorial here. He knows that Kouta's story is finished in the series and thus opted to bring the side characters into the spotlight. Micchi finally gets his redemption, Takatora finally resolved not to be turned astray again. Thank goodness you guys released the Gaiden first, so Ryouma appearing with the Dragon Fruit Energy isn't so weird since he finally finished the Dragon Fruit LS will be counted as his and Megahex's creation (so that's why Megahex has its name printed on the LS). I kinda wished everyone ended up donning the undersuit like Takatora though, ala Sentai-style.....but overall a good conclusion to an epic series.

Drive:

A good start for Drive cast. Although Kiriko being Lupin is kinda given when Tomari experienced Heaviness out of nowhere when he's talking with Belt-san, and then Kiriko appeared. Come on, that was a direct giveaway. A bit disappointment for Tomari choosing to pursue Lupin instead of saving Kiriko, given his speech in the series about Kamen Rider protecting the civilian first before his own self-interest. But that happened later in the series, so I'll just give that as character growth. And I guess Cyberoid ZZZ is really reused as Proto-Zero's Roidmude body.

Full Throttle:

Now this part is really disappointing. Megahex summoned Kaito, only to have Kaito slashing him at the first thing? You know how a certain individuals, yet it didn't occur to you to control his "individualities " first? That's just suicide man. Gaim and Drive's interaction is good, but then came the nonsense that is the 'new toy for Bandai to sell'. It's hard enough seeing this two toys on sell when they are released in Japan's store as seeing them introduced in the movie. Other than that, a good movie overall.

Now is somebody gonna take that robot-Kaito and try to reactivate him? Might be a good idea since he can be reintroduced to the Kamen Rider Taisen Universe as a robotic Kaito now.....it would be kinda cool
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Renigami »

This was a good Gaim follow-up epilogue to the series. While I didn't expect kids of Kouta to be running about (but hey that is what he and Mai set out to do, be the literal Adam and Eve to their new planet made with the golden fruit power Kouta earned at the series end), it did show them enjoying the fung-shui of their fruits of their labor for the planet they call home now. I did wish that Kouta could have at least have a nice house somewhere or some ranch... or tree house made... but whatever - he calls himself a space-god so maybe space gods do not need houses or shelters over their heads?

Having the entire Gaim premise to deal with ANOTHER surviving race of Helheim is good, but I think the whole nix individuality for the overmind machine is way too overplayed in aspects of science fiction (and now subsequently seeping into our actual human society with everyone clamoring google this and that and their phones...). I do like that touch that it was mentioned that the Hex race overcame the invasion by preserving the minds of their species and just brute force the invasion with conversion to being mechanical constructs. Somehow, I get the impression that the Autobots and Decepticons of Transformers lore may have done just as that, to adapt to the overgrown organic flora (or ever deceasing lack thereof) of Cybertron (and unfortunately going back to the organic life in Beast Machines... - I am getting off topic..)

The two Kureshima brothers fighting side by side and their differences aside and cooperating, a nice working closure as well.

Agreed with the what the heck differences why Ryoma is made "Bane" like with no reason, since his body obviously was nowhere given any indication of recovery by the Hex. And this was proven such with the robotic decay upon his defeat, thus that "breathing" apparatus isn't needed. Hell, if it was mandatory with the robotic clone constructs, shouldn't Kaito.Hex have one too? And if Hex is one whole mind, Kaito shouldn't have turned to begin with or Hex should have known his data construct would betray them - thus why regenerate him to begin with? That made absolutely no sense other than to bring Mousier Banana back....

Drive's part, is more fitting to be a group of episodes in an arc... I mean, they already noted and acknowledge their dealings with Lupin from what I gathered in the TV episodes so canonically bringing it as part of the episodes makes sense... to me. As a standalone movie, it would be even more sense. Other than the interplay of the main rider of the past series with the current main rider of this year's series, I just don't see any point of keeping up these yearly crosses, as a thing with Double/Decade onward. More unique toys to buy? True the Type Fruits and Drive Lockseed may have appeal and a good appeal as a "what-if" if powers were to cross, but it is more Wonderland-nonsense to me. The final bit to drive this, is for the media and populace of Tokyo to be aware of any large scale things, including Hex, and not notice the instant invasion of them AT THE SAME TIME as Lupin's case, seems off. Unless BY COINCIDENCE OF TOY SALES Hex happened to land just as that Lupin case was wrapped up....

Lupin's suit, to me, is way too busy. The slight cinema motif just doesn't fit with the supposed thief motif. I did like the stylized mustache on the mask though. But the untransformed human form should have sported that too...

And the reason why Lupin was able to embody ZZZ rather than Krim was rather weak. I can accept not being able to acclimate to the hardware/drivers to the instilled mind for a time period, but when we have humans in real life being able to acclimate to any input given time (including artificial limbs, electrical switches with the corresponding driver interface - written on the artificial limb side, and the adjustment from the human brain side) this part made no sense to me why Krim, who no doubt used Banno's technology to make his own Roimude body, can't adjust and assume that form with time. Perhaps I want more sense out of Kamen Rider than most viewers. Perhaps maybe I should just accept this as a fun jaunt of a arc with Lupin the phantom thief, that stole ZZZ. Perhaps I should accept that Krim Steinbelt has enough money to rent/buy a castle, fully furnished, for the SOLE PURPOSE OF STORING A ROBOT BODY.

I think the CG at the end of the battle was way too much CG to take investment into. I simply wasn't that into the final fight.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Yes the Drive part was a mess. I was excited at first then I realized this movie was chronologically set back before Drive got good and Chaser was still evil. On the flip side it was pre-Medic and the big bads showed up to legitimately help fight the rival machine lifeform and I thought that was awesome, and consistent with their characters. I feel like Drive should have properly introduced them, "Oh these are my enemy commanders... they're here to ... help?"
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

From the crossover movies I've seen so far during the Neo Heisei era. I would say Full Throttle and MEGAMAX were the best so far. The interactions with Gaim and Drive was pretty cool and funny to see. I liked how the writers handled this movie.
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Uzur9 »

Small thing that bugged me.... Why was it translated as Fruit and not Fruits ?
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Uzur9 wrote:Small thing that bugged me.... Why was it translated as Fruit and not Fruits ?
Quirk of the language. It's pronounced "fu-ru-tsu" in Japanese regardless of whether it's singular or plural. We just went with the singular.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Because it's just one dragon fruit. it's not like a bunch of fruits like grapes. I think the confusion lies in people mistaking the last tsu sound in furutus as an s sound.
Tokunin
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by Tokunin »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but the HD DDL link for the movie won't allow me to download because it exceeds the size limit from the site. If possible can you guys possibly upload the movie to another site?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That's probably going to be the case for many free download sites, given the size. If you can't use torrents, there's always seed boxes.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Yaiba wrote:This is actually a Gaim movie with some Drive parts tagged along.

Gaim's part is awesome, although the way Kouta's return is just bs. The Kureshima brothers are the main guys here, and they did it very well. I was thinking why Kaito, being one of the main 4 Riders, isn't here. But they brought him back in the third part, and it's nice that he's being himself of turning against Megahax. A very nice conclusion to the Gaim story with all the remaining Riders gathered together at the end.

Drive's part, even though I work on Drive I'm sorry to say this, I find it really boring. Nobody knows what nobody's doing, it's all over the place. Shinnosuke has no planning at all. He thought he could trap Lupin in the church, but Lupin just simply jumped out the window. And his recklessness of going after Lupin instead of Kiriko nearly killed them both. He dumped Tridoron into the sea and go against Lupin with no weapon at all. It's damn cool to say "I'll stop you and save the girl!", but as it is I don't see how was he going to accomplish it. He shouldn't need to count on a broken belt, which was already stated as not fixable, to suddenly reactive and save his ass.

Though the best part is when Shinnosuke mourns Belt-san.

The taisen part, I never enjoy these parts of the movie. Forced partnership is forced, I can never relate them, who just met 5 minutes ago, to be able to trust each other enough and fight together without reservation.
This sums up most of my thoughts in a nutshell. The Gaim part was great; it felt like a proper addendum to Gaim. Kouta's story is done, so focus on the Kureshima brothers. I would have preferred a bit less action and a bit more talking/plotting, but I can understand why that doesn't happen for a theatrical release.

As for the rest of the movie: eh. The Drive part wasn't all that great due to a number of issues and general lack of thought. The team-up was better - probably the best team-up in a few years now - but we still got absurd CGI, dumb "Riders take the other's form" powers, and a paper-thin reason to have the two heroes together.
Lunagel wrote:Pretty much nothing to add, everyone's already said everything I thought or felt about the movie.

...with one exception. It is the goddamn OLDEST FUCKING TROPE IN THE BOOK to kidnap the woman and hold her hostage and we get it not once but TWICE in this movie?! WHAT. THE HELL.

I hate the damsel in distress trope but tokusatsu seems insistent on keeping it around for reasons that baffle me. The Micchi/Mai one I didn't mind so much because he kind of saw it as redemption for himself so there was a character-driven reason, but the Drive one just fell flat. She didn't even get rescued by Shinnosuke, Tridoron did it. If you're going to capture one of them then I feel like it would have been funnier to do the Chief or Gen or maybe have just given Kyuu-chan a box set of anime and sent him off to his room for a week (it worked before!).

Good movies, bad trope.
Perhaps this is because I just watched this movie after Drive 40, but I had the exact same thought. Mai gets kidnapped again, and this is the second time in a week that Kiriko has been kidnapped. Between just these two women, Japan has a kidnapping epidemic going on. It's getting kind of absurd.
Last edited by ViRGE on Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

/me fixes this by having a female Rider and having her platonic male friend get kidnapped instead.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Then the female Rider would die and the boyfriend would become the Rider in her place.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:/me fixes this by having a female Rider and having her platonic male friend get kidnapped instead.
That would be an improvement, if only a marginal one. No one ever kidnaps the hero. :lol:
RyuShinEX
Go Go!

Post by RyuShinEX »

Phoenix512 wrote:Then the female Rider would die and the boyfriend would become the Rider in her place.
we'll have a long list of dead female riders then. :lol:

anyway I like the departing scene of Heart & gang. Heart's big ass shoulders knocked onto the roidmude with the sound effect & roidmude's reaction of the knock was hilarious.

By any chance was that an unexpected event or was it on the script?

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”