KR Drive 34 released

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

KR Drive 34 released

Post by Lunagel »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Rider_Drive_34

Well, I was hideously wrong when I said there was redemption for Nira. IDK, I guess I was just hoping he was really a guy who let his power get to his head and was being manipulated by Makage, but when he found out Makage was the enemy he realized what was really important to him was to protect the people.

Or he could just be a sniveling one-note coward. Horray for characterization.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: KR Drive 34

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I was totally fooled by Nira's redemption too. Apparently he murdered a guy just because he didn't like him. Okay?

I mean, he didn't know Makage was there and could rewrite everyone's memories. What was his ultimate game plan back there? And his justification is "Awww, no one likes me." There might be other reasons for that, dude.

Great to see Brain is profiting off Nira's jealousy though. And Heart is super hungry to be with Tomari.

No Drive next week. Remember!
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

I'm amused that Brain, who was struggling to keep up with the Heart/Medic tagteam, is now a step ahead. Buuut it did mean throwing Nira's characterization under the bus, which is a real shame, as his mini-arc of redemption is a lot more interesting than this two-face result. Looks like Nira and Brain go back to work, but I'm not sure why when we have at least one non-Special Dept persons who can confirm Nira as a killer and Brain as a Roidmude (the forensics guy whose name I have forgotten)...
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's kind of an interesting storytelling bait and switch. (And sort of shows why people don't do this when telling stories.) It makes you think you see character growth and development and an arc that isn't there. The audience gains a sense of progression, only to be told that it was never there to begin with. And while I really like Nira just being this big huge asshole that vexes the good guys, I do sympathize with other people who see it as a backward progression in the story.
gourdcaptain
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Favorite Actor?: Shu Watanabe

Re: KR Drive 34 released

Post by gourdcaptain »

I didn't see the Nira thing coming, because I was convinced his "redemption" was an example of spectacularly bad writing. Now I'm just scratching my head as to how it fooled anyone - dude was pretty transparently scum, and his "redemption" rang so hollow. Unfortunately, his characterization at this point just kinda boils down to "insane jerk."
Galada
Go Go!

Post by Galada »

I'm gonna confess, I didn't expect Nira being the killer at all. That was a pretty good twist. The way they discovered and tracked him was very smart too. And Brain taking advantage of Nira's jealousy to fuse with him and gain his ultimate evolution makes totally sense. Why weren't you this good before, Drive?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

While this episode was interesting, I'm more interested in what is happening with Gou and his iPad dad.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

gourdcaptain wrote:I didn't see the Nira thing coming, because I was convinced his "redemption" was an example of spectacularly bad writing. Now I'm just scratching my head as to how it fooled anyone - dude was pretty transparently scum, and his "redemption" rang so hollow. Unfortunately, his characterization at this point just kinda boils down to "insane jerk."
Well, maybe that's why it works so well.

/me gives the gourd captain all the tin can lids.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Kuchiri »

I know we are complaining about the sudden switch from asshole to good guy to asshole again. However, how many times in the last few Kamen Rider series has that happened and the redemption stuck.

Gaim had multiple characters with redemption that stuck til the end. Oren, Takatora, Jonouchi, Zack, etc...
Wizard had Kizaki as the redemption character.
Fourze had half of the Kamen Rider Club redeem themselves for asshole actions including Ohsugi-sensei and Gamou.

It's been a troupe that I'm happy didn't stick with Nira. I'm glad he is probably going to get the utter sense of reality beat out of him in the next episode. It also gave Honganji an epic moment.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas

Post by Alessar »

I just figured Nira was a decent actor (liar) and was sucking up to them since Makage was outed. I never thought he was redeemed for one second. And tht thiefy roidmude who was so cowardly? I thought it might be him because that was the one character trait that was pretty consistent. Props for Brain managing to pull off something for a change!
Strykor
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Quote: Ever have one of those flashbacks...

Post by Strykor »

I always forget that the U.S. Open Golf Tournament is on this time of year. Oh, well, at least there's always the last episode of this half of the first season of Thunderbirds are Go! to watch.
Philip Aldraine
Kamen Knight
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: Koko kara wa ore no sutēji da!

Post by Philip Aldraine »

Catastrophe wrote:While this episode was interesting, I'm more interested in what is happening with Gou and his iPad dad.
That surprised me when Go said 'Father' to the iPad. And I can't wait to see what will happen next.
Currently Watching: Ex-Aid, Kyuranger.

'Once you've seen the light, you can never go back to the darkness!'
DDDecadde
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Quote: I'm just a passing-through Otaku. Remember that!"

Post by DDDecadde »

I glad Nira end up still being a "bad guy." He was a spectacular hateable asshole in the beginning and ending up still being a spectacular hateable asshole at the end. It make his character development as a villain better that a typical redemption character. It make Drive a lot better.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

We already got Chase as the redemption character so Nira doesn't need the redemption. I'm also glad that Nira is still Nira in the end. He's just looking out for himself. It was too weird for him to suddenly be the good cop only to discover so he could save his own ass.
Sentai_ZXR7
Infinity
Quote: Ready for the Next Challenge

Post by Sentai_ZXR7 »

The turn of events are getting more interesting, Shinnosuke got his ultimate power, at the same time the pieces of the puzzle are coming together litle by litle, and the murderer of his father is Nira, such odious character, he may either end in prison or get death (he deserve swift punishment); I totally agree Chase got redemption, Nira behaves like an snake ready to strike his victims.
But still there are 56 Roidmudes left wrecking havoc and probably when the series end there will be some for a last movie with the next Kamen Rider.
Let's see what happens next week, at the moment this has got a very solid performance. 8)

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”