SHT Grand Prix: Kamen Rider Sangou released

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

SHT Grand Prix: Kamen Rider Sangou released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Super_Hero ... der_Sangou

Quick comment: Take out the Ninningers, worthless cameo is worthless. Change it to Kamen Rider Taisen.

I dug the mass battle when the Riders fought amongst each other. You saw them do their moves. But then the kaijin showed up, and it's back to a billion people punching each other in costume.

I like the black feathers that appear whenever Sangou is around.

Love the night time kaiju that is J the giant.

The cameos this time were pretty awesome. Although, I wish there was more depth to the characters. Besides Yuuto talking about time travel stuff and Deneb being himself, the appearances were pretty shallow. Like Takumi's appearance last time was almost an epilogue to 555. But this time, we have Yuuto, Tachibana, Inui and they were just kind of around between fights.

Sangou really stole the show. They really went out of their way to portray him as best of the best (loved it when he punched a chunk out of a wall, or burst through a wall to save the crew from the Blade guys). And his personality was nuanced enough.

There's an interesting arc for my thoughts on Sangou. So I thought that he was initially a bad guy. Then I saw some promo stuff and thought he was a good guy. And he does seem like a good guy for most of the movie until the twist at the end. So I guess that worked out. Who knew Toei could make advertisements that weren't just blatant spoilers for the movie?

In the end, it's a forgettable movie. It's fun going from action scene to action scene, but what I like from these movies are the character moments. And there just aren't very many in this one, as far as I can tell.

Oh yeah, how weird is it that Go died in the movie? I guess you surprised me there, Toei.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: SHT Grand Prix: Kamen Rider Sangou released

Post by XIII »

A slightly interesting note, the voice for the 555 belts is different to those in the series, I do wonder why they recorded new ones for this movie.

The Blade ones sound the same, but I've only just started on the Blu-Ray re-visit, so that opinion may change. So glad we have wiki's for the cards and the attacks, had to work out a card call just from the picture displayed on screen by going frame to frame. And the Lightning Sonic card combo as it is so bloody hard to hear with all the background noise going on.

From what I saw while working on this it seemed like the generic travel story to the final big fight that for some reason featured the Ninningers, what was that all about, I cant say I felt impressed from what I saw, to be fair I still havent watched the last one of these, not sure I will be hard pressed to watch this one either.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

XIII wrote:for some reason featured the Ninningers, what was that all about,
Toy sales gonna toy~

I'm very mixed on this movie. Now going in, my expectations were low and at "Taisen movie level" but, what the gently caress man? First off, there's the weirdo handling of Sango's character. He kills Ichigo/Nigo (Speaking of, how the gently caress can those 2 survive a nuke but die by a simple Rider kick?) then comments they're not dead? Then he says he feels regret for killing them? Then says he's always evil so he didn't be regretful... then he ends a good guy?!
If they wanted me to care for him, then some consistency would have been nice otherwise I'm wondering now what was the point of it all. I'm not gonna remember this guy by some cool sacrifice, I'll remember him as some giant waste of time.

I think one of the two biggest Idiot balls came from stuff like Kiriko jumping off the building though. Girl, I'm sure the building had ladders or whatever; jumping wasn't the only answer! And I don't mean that as some anti-suicide PSA... I just found the whole scene stupider than the promos led me to believe. (The other comes from the Decade-ish ending with Gou.. there are words for that garbage and none of them are pleasant).

At least as a dose of positivity, Tetsuo Kurata as always delivered playing his Kotaro role. I'm not sure if it's even possible for him to mess that role up.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo

Post by VerusMaya II »

Sangou was consistent. He began as a Shocker rider, under orders to kill Ichigou and Nigou. So, he did. But in the process he realized, this kinda sucks. He began to regret his actions, but as history changed into the Shocker-ruled future, he internalized his self-loathing and decided he's not even good enough to fight for human freedom. So while he's no longer under Shocker's brainwashing, he's still working for them. This is what led to Tomari's speech on the track, and then Sangou following it up afterwards by saying once your hands are dirtied, all you can do is be Shocker. Sangou is morally grey, he's not just evil or good.
As for Kiriko jumping off the building... It's not like she has time to locate and climb down a ladder when she's trying to escape from a Shocker henchman attempting to hold her hostage/kidnap her/kill her. Go dying seems to be leading into the Yongou film so I'm going to withhold judgement until I see where that goes. It does seem to counter their explanation for how time works in this movie but whatever.

All in all I liked this movie a lot. The roadtrip to Rider Town was kinda fun in its own way, out-of-context. And some interesting worldbuilding tidbits, too. When Tachibana tells them Leangle is the Shocker commander for that town... is every Shocker Rider given its own little fiefdom to rule? That's awesome. Tell me more. Kamen Rider Politics and Government, sign me up.
When Takumi told Go he didn't really care about fighting for human freedom, I expected him to say "because I'm not human" but who knows if this version of Takumi is an Orphenoch or not. Thought it would've been a nice nod, but maybe too spoiler-y.
I loved seeing Yuuto (and Deneb) again but Den-O has a very very special place in my heart so they could really do no wrong bringing him in. And hey, if you need some guy to act as time travel exposition-er, who else are you gonna call but Yuuto? Ninningers, though, no one invited them to the party and they should be deleted.

Minami Koutarou['s actor] aged like fine wine. :^)
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I'm pleased with Sangou being an anti-hero. Plus the suit design is heck of cool. It's like a cross between The First and the original.

>When Tachibana tells them Leangle is the Shocker commander for that town... is every Shocker Rider given its own little fiefdom to rule?

A Rider Sengoku Era?!

>When Takumi told Go he didn't really care about fighting for human freedom, I expected him to say "because I'm not human" but who knows if this version of Takumi is an Orphenoch or not. Thought it would've been a nice nod, but maybe too spoiler-y.

So in a world where everyone and their mom probably turns into an animal, somehow Takumi ended up more human?! I figured he said that line simply because he's not a classic hero. He's never been an idealistic, hero's hero.

>Ninningers, though, no one invited them to the party and they should be deleted.

Every year I say that about Sentai in these movies, lol

>Minami Koutarou['s actor] aged like fine wine. :^)

I liked his death and resurrection. I have no idea how the Black series works, but that was a pretty slick way of introducing both Black and RX into the movie.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

>> As for Kiriko jumping off the building... It's not like she has time to locate and climb down a ladder when she's trying to escape from a Shocker henchman attempting to hold her hostage/kidnap her/kill her.

Then, she could've fought back? Or, Drive could've done something with his Shift cars? I dunno, someone could've done something that feels like they still had working brain cells.

>> Go dying seems to be leading into the Yongou film

Yeah, I know. What bugs me about that though is the whole "You paid to see the movie, now pay to see the ending!" course of action. It's not like it's game DLC where you can pay to play as a few extra side-characters, it's the end of the film that you aimed to see. It just feels wrong, man~!
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

Shinnosuke becomes shorter when he henshins :P

XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

rofl, that is amusing, epic fail there
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Probably one of the better SHT movies (which honestly doesn't say much since the bar is so low), but I enjoyed it for the most part and had some actually pretty funny scenes I enjoyed. Enough time's passed since the ridiculous number of Den-O movies that I actually didn't mind seeing Yuuto and Deneb again. Not the greatest of plots, but had some good character interaction and decent fight scenes, so overall I'd call this a win.

Why were the Ninningers in this movie again?

Oh, and "pay an extra 40 bucks if you want to see the actual end of this movie" is such Decade bullshit. Obviously he comes back cause he's still in the series, so I have to wonder how many kids actually cared, but still. Are we making up for the lack of directors cut movies recently Toei?
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Uzur9 »

I enjoy this for what it was. This will be my 2nd time watching it... Umm... Ja, why were the Ninningers in this? Unless they are going to make a Drive Mecha I can buy (I doubt that - still waiting on that DenLiner Chest/Head for ToQ-Oh)

*EDIT* And I take it the D-Video Special that was handed out will be subbed at a later date ? Did they even do a full release for it on DVD/BR - It was a 3 - 4 Parter ?
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yongou was released this month on Blu-ray.
stardrago
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by stardrago »

At nyaa torrent someone had uploaded the d Video Special of Kamen Rider #4, its in 720p for the three-parters if you want to start, also will you also include the music video "time" as well?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I have the Blu-ray. Time's covered as well. If you ever want to see what we're going to cover, check our list:
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Toku_Disc_Release_List

If it's on there, then we know to pick it up. It's pretty funny that people are still asking if we're going to sub movies and stuff at this point.
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

I'm surprised they killed Gou in this movie that was unexpected. the movie was okay but I'm kinda bored with movies like these.
JujinSan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japan
Quote: Whats done is done and cannot be undone

Post by JujinSan »

Honestly, this felt like a rehash of "Kamen Rider OOO - Let's Go Kamen Riders!" with a pointless addition of the Ninningers. Speaking of the multi-colored ninjas, the shots of the cockpit show how badly designed it is. Gou's death comes out of nowhere and made no sense. Though they do correct the "mistake" of showing Black/Black RX as separate riders when they are the same person.
Aka no Kenshi! MakaiRed! Kenpo Sentai Makaiger!

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”