Kamen Rider Yongou Released

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Rating

Poll ended at Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:34 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
82%
☆☆☆☆
14%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
5%
No votes

Total votes: 22
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kamen Rider Yongou Released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Rider_Yongou

Okay, what is going on here. Is that maybe my favorite one-off Kamen Rider story? Let me check my list of criteria:

"Make sure ending is sad"

Oh okay. Yeah, that was hella good. What is it with Toei's ability to make such really good small stories while making such heartless, unfun movies? I'm guessing there's an expectation that the movies have to be 50 fucking Riders mashed against Shocker or Space Shocker or whatever again.

But no, this is much better. Sure, it is a bit derivative of Edge of Tomorrow/Groundhog's Day (Both highly recommended if you haven't seen them) but it was a good story that had a lot of great moments. Let me pause to talk about what's good about the movie on its own merits.

Yongou has a cool suit. The airman uniform is a nice variation.

Time is a great song. I loved it each time it played at the end of a segment.

It made good use of its materials. Let's face it, Takumi did almost nothing in the Sangou movie. But when reduced to a small group of people, everyone feels important. Even Kiriko acts as a diversion from the truth (I totally guessed it was Takumi by the way, as soon Kaidou showed up, it was obvious). The plot kept advancing with each cycle, it was just good and tight.

Oh yeah, no idea what was going on with the Shocker Great Leader. Someone's been watching too much The Prisoner.

So what elevates this to being tremendous? How about fucking Kaidou is back. Karahashi Mitsuru is a lovely man and he's guest starred on a lot of things that benefited from his charm, but going back to his roots as Kaidou? And then having him interact with Takumi? Oh, so good.

What else? Toei must have spent 10 years regretting the ending to Faiz, since they keep coming up with ways to improve upon it. If Kamen Rider Taisen was the proper epilogue to 555, then this is the true ending that you get for suffering through all the side missions. It's a proper ass ending to Faiz, and it matches with my theory that Takumi dies at the end of the series. I mean, I honestly don't care either way, but you guys know I love to be right.

And Sangou's ending was a bit dumbed down. Yeah, Sangou erases himself from history, but the guy's still alive and doing race car stuff somewhere. Takumi destroys the machine knowing that he's erasing himself from history. Not even a memory, not even a damn photo of his existence are left in the memory of his friends. I hate 555 as a TV series, but what a brilliant way to take a horrible sloppy plot and turn it into some beautiful. This and Kamen Rider Taisen has shown that Faiz is a true Rider.

Edit:
Summary for 555's ending:
Spoiler
555 was Inoue's darker stories. It's very similar to Agito and Kiva in that he questions whether humans or the monsters are the real monsters. At the end, the Orphenochs kidnap Takumi and I think he dies once from the experiments that they do on him? The end revelation is that the mutation is unstable. But if they can find the Orphenoch King, he can make them live forever. Takumi's brought back to life, so he defeats his best friend Kiba (a good Orphenoch turned evil over the course of the story) and the Orphenoch King.

The problem is that 555 ends on a notoriously unsatisfying note. It's hinted that all Orphenoch will eventually die soon, except that maybe the King survived, and he might have made one of the villains live forever and she gets off scott free. One villain reforms and decides to live as a human. One good Orphenoch, Kaidou, also decides to go off and live among the humans. And Takumi's ending is more or less what you saw. It's ambiguous whether or not he dies at the end, but I like saying it does, since it's already pushing fans who are sour on the ending for other reasons.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: Kamen Rider Yongou Released

Post by Yaiba »

Less budget = less Riders and less explosions
Less characters = more focus on main characters and tighter story

Seriously, this is really good. I enjoyed it more than the main movie itself (or most of the toku movies, actually). The story flows smoothly without jumping all over the place to give everyone screen time, the suspense on what is going on, the dread that things just keep getting worse and worse with no way to fix it, the characters interact and actually have a bonding with each other... Everyone in here has a role and not just some background characters.

Like take said, it's a nice ending to Faiz. It brings full closure to the series. But we already have two from here and Kamen Rider Taisen, if this goes on is Toei going to make a third one? :lol:

Little homage things is also good : like Takumi's still running around with his belt in a case, and Kiriko got kidnapped by the same kaijin and jumped off to kill herself to save the Riders as in the movie

I do not find the machines' battle annoying like I usually do, maybe because it was short and try to over take the main battle on the ground. It didn't shove the "we've using a lot of expensive CG" in our face.

And Zeronos, he's my favorite Rider. I love the interaction between Yuuto and Deneb, Denen gets a lot of screen time, and I'm glad Vega Form gets to fight a little, it gets neglect so very often. "The face on my chest is just decoration!" Lol awesome :D
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

This was a rollercoaster for my emotions (ノД`)・゜・。
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

There was a lot of subtle hints/foreshadow at the ending. The time being 9:55 next to a cross. I never watched Faiz, so I don't know the name of his Speed Up Form off the top of my head but I recognized that was his speed up trinket.

They need to do more stories like this. Make it so Toei.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

I saw images of Yongou waaay back and have been wanting to see this. Would you guys recommend waiting until I can see Drive first or is it something that can stand on its own?
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It's related to SHT GP Kamen Rider Sangou which you should watch first if anything.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

Phoenix512 wrote:It's related to SHT GP Kamen Rider Sangou which you should watch first if anything.
Alrightey, thanks!
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
bluegreen
Infinity

Post by bluegreen »

I both loved and hated this. Faiz is one of my favorites, not sure why, I just thought it was significantly better than most of the recent ones. I think I felt it has better/deeper characters. It did, however, go off the rails toward the end.

I'm sad to see that ending, but I saw it coming early on. Each loop started/ended with a close-up of the Faiz clock-up timer, which kind of gave it away for me.

I'm happy that if they are going to use a time train in the plot, they are choosing Zeronos now instead of Den-O. I kind of ODed on Den-O about 20 movies ago. Realistically its probably just the available actor.

I don't think I remember Kaidou surviving the end if Faiz, but I guess he did. I may have to go back and rewatch it. For some reason I thought all the Orphenochs were taken out by the end I think I would have liked to see Takumi's Orphenoch form one more time, but that's a minor thing.

My only real problem with it was that they could have done the exactly same story without Yongou. He didn't add anything to the plot and barely figured into the fighting. They didn't even bother with a human form for him.
Twilights_Bard

Post by Twilights_Bard »

I really liked this, I mean REALLY liked this. It pushed a very good an interesting plot, the time loop was set up that honestly if they didn't constantly use the watch you would have honestly wondered if multiple people were the loop (Like Kiriko honestly thought she was the focal point), and it also confirmed that you don't need every Rider in the Taisen movies to make them interesting, you just need a few Riders who are coming back to do out of suit stuff, and you could actually work to give them an interesting movie. Yeah, doesn't always work in practice but it's got a better shot of working then a movie that has to fit in screen time for so many people.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

The only surviving Orphenoch were Lobster (who is a completely loose string), Kaidou, Takuma, annnnd maaaaaybe Orph King? Takumi goes to sleep at the end and never wakes up. Hohohoho.
godstriker8
Infinity

Post by godstriker8 »

This caught me off guard, I had 0 expectations and it ended up being really good. And although I recoginzed the Faiz accel watch, I didn't catch on to the fact that he was the root cause.

However, I liked how Faiz's ending was up to interpretation yet this gives a definitive answer to something that didn't need it. Additionally the fact that Faiz will inevitably end up in future crossovers cheapens this ending a bit.

Also, Baron and Sasword are not evil riders, they really should've put Duke and Dark Kabuto in their place.
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

It was much better than the taisen one. by the way, when i first saw sangou and yongou I really tought that Sangou was going to be evil and Yongou good.
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Renigami »

Without reading this thread, and replying just after seeing this...

I am not sure if the writers REALLY cared about Faiz, or REALLY cared deeply about Faiz (knowing everything since I watched the series).

I really liked Faiz and it is good to see both of the actors reprise their roles. A far better treatment than Decade (though anything can treat past series better than Decade though, save for some Taisen movies...)
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I think what they where going for with those evil riders was the fact they have monster forms. And Ouja is just a monster.
Victormaru
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Kaoru
Favorite Actor?: Mika Hijii
Favorite Band: m-flo
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: GARO
Quote: In the end, I am Eternal.

Post by Victormaru »

Wow. So everything ended up making sense. This series was necessary to complete the 555 series after Kamen Rider Taisen came out. But they didn't explain how or why Takumi was resurrected after the 555 series in order to make it to the Kamen Rider Taisen movie. Whatever, I guess.

I'm probably the only one that immediately thought of the Steins;Gate and Puella Magi Madoka Magica anime series where the main premise is about constantly going back in time to prevent a death, lol. I'm all for stories like that 'cause it always ends up being emotional in a fun and interesting way.

I guess this mean we won't be seeing Takumi ever again. As for Kamen Rider 555, you know the costume will always return for future movies.

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”