Kamen Rider Yongou Released

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Rating

Poll ended at Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:34 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
82%
☆☆☆☆
14%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
5%
No votes

Total votes: 22
Vashiev20
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: DekaYellow
Favorite Band: One ok rock
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Dont touch my taco, Im gonna touch your taco
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Re: Kamen Rider Yongou Released

Post by Vashiev20 »

Honestly i loved this special. You have the set up from the Sangou movie (iffy movie for me) that lead to a fantastic story. Given the history of Shocker-made/brainwashed Riders, it was kinda refreshing to see one that was completely funtional and programmed entirely correct. If nothing else ever works for Shocker, at least they can say they finally got the Rider right.

As for the plot, story, and characters this movie did it the best for me. Just a few Riders is all thats really needed. Loved the fact that they brought back Faiz and gave what i believe is a proper albeit sad ending to that series. The groundhog day thing worked too without the idea getting old seeing the same thing over and over and over. The fact that the characters said different things in placea along with the growing numbers of enemies worked great. So for me this was a solid solid story that was told really well.

And last but not least it was nice to see Mach use his catchphrase and pose. I missed that out of everything as Drive got into its later episodes
KamenRiderKaibo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto

Post by KamenRiderKaibo »

ViRGE wrote: That said, I'm still completely in the dark why Evil Takumi has a signal bike, or why he'd send it to Kiriko in the first place.
Yea, this bothered me as well. Can Toei stops doing unexplained random stuffs? :roll: :roll:
And since when Takumi was "dead once and revived"? :?: :?: :?: (except when he turned into Orphnoch when he died as a kid)
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by jolly_old_saint »

Hah! You thought this was a drive thing, but it was me! Backdoor Faiz movie!

555spoils:
Spoiler
Fives never died or was revived in the show. He was revealed to be a wolf orphenoch near the end, so he maybe might've been slowly dying with the rest of the orphenoch for not reviving their king. Except he showed no signs of that happening soon. Except for the final scene, when you see his vision get kinda blurry as he looks at his hand (one of the shots they re-created to show his hand dusting away in this). Which could as easily have been an artsy shot for the sake of it, maybe leaving it up in the air if he was dying. But most fans kinda took it to mean "onoes, he dead!" So that's the route this miniseries went. "What if he died and some weird time travel magic brought him back?" Except they forgot the reason he died would've been the reason that Kaido would also be dead...eh. All in all, this IS another crossover thing, so non-canon as hell no matter how big a deal they make about revising history. Just a fun little what-if story about how meaningless life is and a hero to children erasing himself from history. In a half-explained if more-nonsensical-the-more-you-think-about-it kind of way. Probably owing to some arbitrary rules thought up by children oddly obsessed with mirrors several years ago.

Time travel spoils:
Spoiler
Every time loop plot is derivative of Groundhog Day. Just like every talkie is derivative of The Jazz Singer.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

KamenRiderKaibo wrote:
ViRGE wrote: That said, I'm still completely in the dark why Evil Takumi has a signal bike, or why he'd send it to Kiriko in the first place.
Yea, this bothered me as well. Can Toei stops doing unexplained random stuffs? :roll: :roll:
And since when Takumi was "dead once and revived"? :?: :?: :?: (except when he turned into Orphnoch when he died as a kid)
I thought the ending was a reference to the ending of The Prisoner. Takumi died again in the second to last or last episode of Faiz, but was brought back by the Orphenoch's experiments.
tr0jance
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Mayuko Arisue
Favorite Band: Loaded Diaper
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Imagination
Quote: (silently fades in shadows)
Type: INFP Healer

Post by tr0jance »

This Movie makes me want to watch 555 again, so satisfying, hope they do all the movies like this. Less characters more plot, maybe they'll do Blade next, that one has a loose ending as well.
Areku The O.F.
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: KR Black
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz
Dreamy: Too many to count...
Favorite Actor?: Tetsuo Kurata
Favorite Band: Dream Theater
My boom: Toku in general
Quote: "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
Old time is still a' flying
And that same flower that smiles you today
Tomorrow will be dying..."

Post by Areku The O.F. »

That was the sendoff Inui Takumi deserved as a character, while Faiz has been one of my top favorites I always felt the ending was kind of lacking. That being said, there was a lot of foreshadowing that this story was about Faiz instead of Yongou:

1. The opening sequences mimics the ones from Faiz.
2. How the Accel watch shows up at the end of every loop.
3. Kaidou showing up was kind of a dead giveaway.

While the story is supposed to complement the Sangou movie (which was kind of meh, save for Kurata Tetsuo's cameo as Minami Kotarou) the Faiz subplot makes this stand on it's own.
3... 2... 1... Time Out... Deformation.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

tr0jance wrote:This Movie makes me want to watch 555 again, so satisfying, hope they do all the movies like this. Less characters more plot, maybe they'll do Blade next, that one has a loose ending as well.
I have to disagree about the Blade ending. It's fine the way it is.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The Blade ending was fine. Missing Ace gave a possible alternative. There was also the SIC hero story and the novel Inoue wrote that jumped the shark as well. Sometimes messing with the ending is not the greatest of ideas.
hinomars19
Go Go!
Favorite Actor?: Kitagawa keiko
Favorite Band: Koda Kumi
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: Yui Koike is like a kitten wrapped in cotton wool eating candyfloss. This cannot be disputed. You try, I flip your table (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Post by hinomars19 »

I can tell you now-very happy I was the dumb puppy who didn't pick up on ANY of the clues! :D
I was so much more satisfied with the reveal that Takumi was the cause by being completely blindsided by it. Sure it was one of those kick yourself moments once revealed, but I like the fact I was taken by the wild goose chase that was Kiriko.
Being an idiot really does improve your enjoyment of life :D
Didn't recognise the Axcel watch until the final scene, I noticed the opening was Faiz style but just thought it having a little fun, Inui's continuous 'I'm sick of death' lines just felt like reference to his losses (which I think Faiz is notable for as a series) so...yeah. I love Faiz, re-watched it not too long ago (maybe about a year now) but I think old age and work stress are debilitating my memory and concentration, so sadly I missed those points. I feel a little ashamed with myself now, since I do love Faiz, despite it's flaws it has good heart and a good story. Ah well.

So, we think Inui died in the ambiguous final scene of the series? I'll go along with that. Though, Takenoko, I don't remember him being kidnapped and experimented on. Maybe a re watch of the final 2 eps is in order.
As for Great leader's identity-haven't seen The Prisoner either, so don't get the reference if it is one. My thoughts whilst watching were that this was somehow a malevolent part of Inui born from his death-kinda like he had 'split' into the good, lamentful guy we see in the film, and the spiteful half that wanted to live forever in a world he controlled. Not sure if that holds up...but it was a theory.

So, on to the rest of the movie-I agree Yongou wasn't the star. Buuuuut....meh, never mind. Plot device is plot device. He was cool, my favourite design in a while and full on showa. Noice.

What has me most about this movie is it actually had me caring about-and enjoying- the Drive characters. I have not been a fan of Drive at all. The only characters I took to were Medic and Belt san. Neither the characters or even their actors bothered me here. Good stuff all round.

*edit* Just gonna throw in something else I forgot; I think that this being a direct to DVD release may well have afforded the writers the license to actually write a story rather than a toy commercial full of the 'expected' elements for summer KR movies. Theater releases have to appeal to a mass audience, not to mention a young audience. Direct to Video (oops, showing my age...) have always had the benefit of being slightly more under the radar, thus allowing more 'freedom'. Are they not also rated differently? The scene of Kiriko throwing herself off of the building was pretty brutal! Not visualy gory or bloody, but honestly very earnest, even the thud. leaves you cold.

This, in spirit and in execution is what Kamen rider is. I think Inui held that spirit best here, and this did a far better job of getting across that feeling than the showa/ hesei taisen movie that ended with cliche flower hugging (seriously what a bust) To have ichigou explain Kamen rider spirit by protecting the lone flower...oi...

This little mini special embodies what KR is (or dare I say 'was' or even 'should be' :P) If only RX had made one last appearance!

Couldn't be more satisfied with a piece of television.
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

ah man the scene with Kaidou and Takumi at the end of the movie though ; - ;
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Everybody who is confused about why they say Takumi 'died and then was revived' can't remember the rules of orphnoch.

A human turns into an orphnoch sometimes when they die (ie Kiba and Yuka) or when they are sired (survive the attack of an orphnoch like Kaido). Although I can't remember if it was ever explained, Takumi must have died and been revived as an orphnoch through one of these methods.

EDIT: I'm reading on some wikis that it was an automobile accident during his childhood, but I can't find any other sources to validate this.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Huh, I checked the last few episodes. I thought Takumi flatlined when he was kidnapped, but I guess he was just hurt really badly? Anyway, chalk it up to the faultiness of memory.

I don't remember Takumi's Orphenoch origins myself. I just flipped through the episode when Takumi reveals that aspect and it seemed like they were more worried about the events from the Ryuusei reunion than anything else.
KamenRiderKaibo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Catastrophe wrote:Everybody who is confused about why they say Takumi 'died and then was revived' can't remember the rules of orphnoch.

A human turns into an orphnoch sometimes when they die (ie Kiba and Yuka) or when they are sired (survive the attack of an orphnoch like Kaido). Although I can't remember if it was ever explained, Takumi must have died and been revived as an orphnoch through one of these methods.
Dude, you're missing our points.
Like I said, Takumi did "died & revived once" when he was killed in an accident when he was kid. But I don't think they're referring to that incident in this Yongou movie.

In the movie, starting around 59:48, Kaido said that
"He's fought enough. His friends and enemies dead, and at the very end, he gave everything he had to protect the world. Then... he died"

Since you're a wiki-reader, check out what they wrote about Takumi (assuming it's true) http://kamenrider.wikia.com/wiki/Takumi_Inui
Under the "History" section, it says "In the D-Video Special: Kamen Rider 4, Takumi died sometime after 555's ending. "
Under the "Note" section, it says "He, alongside all his friends except for Kaido, died in the ending of Faiz, and was only revived due to the history alteration machine."

So Takumi died after the main boss fight, and was revived again (by the history machine or Orphnoch experiment, as what Takeneko claimed). But it was never shown or mentioned explicitly about this.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I was mistaken about his first death, I forgot about the Orph coming back thing.

It's been my longstanding theory that Takumi explicitly dies on camera at the end of Faiz. Don't believe me?

http://takkynoko.tumblr.com/post/131329 ... -he-starts
The end of Faiz compared to the footage in Yongou:
Spoiler
He gets disorientated, can't see his hand. Then he ignores Keitarou's question when he asks "What's wrong?" Then he's pale as shit in the final scene.

In Yongou his hand is explicitly turning to dust.

It's just my fan theory for the end of 555, but it's made explicit in Yongou. That's what I find delightful.
KamenRiderKaibo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

takenoko wrote:I was mistaken about his first death, I forgot about the Orph coming back thing.

It's been my longstanding theory that Takumi explicitly dies on camera at the end of Faiz. Don't believe me?

http://takkynoko.tumblr.com/post/131329 ... -he-starts
The end of Faiz compared to the footage in Yongou:
Spoiler
He gets disorientated, can't see his hand. Then he ignores Keitarou's question when he asks "What's wrong?" Then he's pale as shit in the final scene.

In Yongou his hand is explicitly turning to dust.

It's just my fan theory for the end of 555, but it's made explicit in Yongou. That's what I find delightful.
Yeap, but some might say the movie is set in alternate world :P
But it's OK, we have seen worse "multiple parallel worlds" issues in comic books.
Again, the "Takumi is then revived by history machine or whatever" was never properly explained in the movie, and that strangely bothered me a lot. Haha...

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”