Drive Type Tokujo 1-4 released

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Drive Type Tokujo 1-4 released

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... ype_Tokujo

Kind of a cool little detective story. I liked that they tried to have the viewer guess the truth before revealing it in episode 4. I didn't even realize there was no action until the fourth episode, because I was caught up in the mystery.

Man, Houjou sure got old.

Oh man, I did a double face palm when I realized that the parts of the Secret Mission titles were the clue. The second being when I realized they were spelling Jiko with a Z. It's like they hired someone at Toei to exasperate me with their bad English.

I also think it's cool that Nishihori Kouya acted as a throughline for all the Secret Missions.

Edit: Although, the last episode sure leaves a lot of unanswered questions. Like why was Kusakabe spying on the professor? Why'd he steal the data and erase it? Why did Brain kill him for it?
Zychotic
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Inoue Masahiro
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Drive Type Tokujo 1-4 released

Post by Zychotic »

I really liked this story. I didn't realise until the end that it barely had anything to do with Kamen Rider. Instead it was a nice little detective drama which was really well done.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Sooooo both Nishihori and the assistant are technically guilty. I mean, Nishihori is directly culpable of manslaughter because there was intent to kill an although it wasn't like he planned, he's still the main reason why the professor died. The assistant should be tried for intended manslaughter cause she put the stuff in his water. It didn't work cause Kyuu spilled it, but it's still intent. Technically the answer is Nishihori and accident and a side order of the assistant.

This did drag on at times since a lot of it is recap, but for about 40 minutes of show that had barely any fighting, this was pretty damn well done for a mini-series. I'd honestly put it up there with Yongou. Not nearly as plot-heavy, but entertaining enough for the time it filled and it didn't make me want to kill myself out of boredom.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I will give Toei and the Drive crew credit here. While the series itself was bookended by weak starts and finishes, what they've done with their tie-in media (I don't even know what to call this; DLC?) is very fresh. They took some risks, and while the special missions were a bit hit and miss, we also got things like Yongou and Tokujo, both of which I've greatly enjoyed. Compared to the usual slapstick nonsense of the net movies and such, it was better written, better produced, and more relevant overall, while actually having a cerebral element and engaging the viewer. I really hope this paid off for Toei and is something they continue in some fashion.

As for Tokujo, I second Luna's comments that it was a bit slow at times, but overall I liked it. A good whodunit is always fun, and to their credit they clearly did it on a shoe-string budget, as the series was set entirely in offices and the existing standing sets: the drive pit, the SCD office, the hallway, and then the professor's office (which no doubt was just a hijacked Toei office). If they had tightened up the plot just a bit, I think it could have been fantastic. And like Takenoko said, there's no action until the very end (and even that's a bare minimum) but you don't really miss it. It's amusing what the writers can do when they don't have to come up with a reason for a fight in every 10-15 minutes of footage.

I also like how they managed to tie this into the series without having obviously stripped/held back something from the series to use in Tokujo. Why Otta and Kyuu joined the SCD really isn't important to the series, but it was a great thing to cover in tie-in media. Similarly, that Nishihori is involved in all of these videos is well done, and gives them a bit more coherency. I do however find the story of Kiriko trying to be Drive to be very haphazardly thrown in there. It answers a burning question - why could only Shinnouske be drive - but it had nothing to do with the rest of the story. I'm seriously wondering whether that was something meant for the main series and was rescued off of the cutting room floor.
takenoko wrote:Edit: Although, the last episode sure leaves a lot of unanswered questions. Like why was Kusakabe spying on the professor? Why'd he steal the data and erase it? Why did Brain kill him for it?
They definitely left some plot holes open. I think I get why Brain killed for the data: he didn't want the Animus system restored in order to prevent Banno from escaping (thus setting up Banno's arc in the series). And I get why Kusakabe was spying on the professor: because he suspected the professor was in cahoots with Nishihori due to the latter's visit. But even I don't get why Kusakabe copied the data and erased the original. All signs point to him being on the level as a detective, so there's no reason for him to erase the data. Then again, maybe Brain did that? And the copy was from the investigation? Though if that's the case I'm not sure why Brain would wait until now to make his move.
Last edited by ViRGE on Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I also feel like Kusakabe's offscreen death was a bit cheap. Yeah, maybe it was needed to keep the "mystery" alive, but it felt like they skipped a scene or something was cut.
Akari
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR Faiz/Ryukendo
2nd Favorite Series: GARO
Dreamy: Yuria Haga(Mari/Mio)
Favorite Actor?: Shouma Yamamoto
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu!!
Quote: Ultimate Ryukendo! Raijin!

Post by Akari »

Ahh, this is where I saw the FAIL Kiriko henshin. I must have caught a clip somewhere. Anyways, I enjoyed this but I really liked Drive anyway. Not much to say about it specifically though. It was a detective story with Drive characters. But since I enjoy those characters it elevated the material for me. I think if it wasnt Shinnosuke and crew I wouldnt have enjoyed it as much.

Thanks to guile_bio for his help with the sig and gif
RobotFan73
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by RobotFan73 »

Cool story, but why is Chaser on the poster when he wasn't even in it?
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

I think it's because it's going to be released in one month and that the one who wrote the post is excited about it. I can't say I don't understand that.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

RobotFan73 wrote:Cool story, but why is Chaser on the poster when he wasn't even in it?
It's a poster for the Chase spin off which comes out next month.

Guess that's kind of a bait and switch, I totally forgot Chase isn't in this release.
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

the riddle quite good. and yes drive is actually have a good story, almost similar with W in terms of crime detective/police solve a case thing.
even though the action only in 4th part, i still quite enjoy the Tokujo series :)
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”