KR Chaser released

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:27 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
20%
☆☆☆☆
70%
☆☆☆
10%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 10
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Chaser released

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Drive_Saga ... der_Chaser

I liked it. It felt like a good Data from Star Trek story, plus we get to see all our friends from Drive again. I feel like Heart has some depth as a villain that you don't often see in these shows. Medic and Brain are also adorable in their own ways.

That said, I wish an editor put his scalpel to this, because it's way too long. It just has too many unneeded scenes or scenes that run too long that bog down the pacing. It felt like watching a director's cut of a movie. That 85 minute length should probably have been a tight 60.

Crucifixion imagery because Japan.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: KR Chaser released

Post by Yaiba »

The license smiling joke is back again, the producers must really love that joke.

It's nice to see Chase collaborating with his old Roidmude friends again. This really is more of a Roidmude story than a human Rider story.

The overall story is fine, I like the struggle Chase is going through, but there are some comedy scenes that I can go without :
- Wtf is with Belt-san and Rinna screaming at the eclipse on the roof?! That's totally out of character
- Belt-san is drinking milk from a dog bowl. What the heck dog bowl?!And he's already said he cannot eat in the series
- And I can go without Shinnosuke and Kiriko spilling juice on Go. I know Chase is creeping them out but there has to be a better way to demonstrate it.
- Medic... I don't even know what to say about her...
- Did they draw the Shift Cars with MS Paint or something?

And Chase is really creepy when he talks normally.

What is the purpose of the heavily injured woman beside Hinako's bed?

A sad hero story. It is convenient that Chase only lose the memory of this incident.

Nice call back to 051 who was also after money in the main series. But trying to tie back to the unknown program Banno and 004 installed in Belt-san is probably not needed. Because they didn't explain anything with 5 seconds screen time.

Gun shot, blood, implied sex, and self inflect injuries. This is a Japanese kids movie for you.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Aww, I liked Medic's sub story. It was cute. Although, I'm guessing it's just there to put her in a low cut dress in the end.

>What is the purpose of the heavily injured woman beside Hinako's bed?

Dunno. I'm guessing that's a suit actor or someone whose cameo is interesting?

>Gun shot, blood, implied sex, and self inflect injuries. This is a Japanese kids movie for you

Implied sex? Wait, did Data have sex with the Borg Queen in First Contact? Is that what he needed human skin for???
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

Here comes the Chaser laugh... again... and Shinnosuke/Kiriko spit take scene. xD

Anyways, I like the spin-off. It's probably a Roidmude story... better than having Terui Ryuu / KR Accel in there.

Zychotic
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Inoue Masahiro
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Zychotic »

That was really good. I was waiting a long time for this to come out and it did not disappoint.

I'm surprised at the adult content that was included in this. A female character taking their clothes off in a Japanese kids/teen show? Not expected and I didn't see how that helped develop the story.

The Drive/Mach side story was fun to watch. The main focus was on Chase, so I liked how they added a comedic element to the main rider's story. I was expecting more from Accel's appearance but I'm still happy with what we got.

Is this the only time we see 000 transform into Proto-Drive? I can't remembered if they showed that in series or not.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack

Post by DaVinci030 »

Zychotic wrote:Is this the only time we see 000 transform into Proto-Drive? I can't remembered if they showed that in series or not.
Proto-Drive appears in the series backstory and Secret Mission Episode 0. That's what I remembered.

Zychotic
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Inoue Masahiro
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Zychotic »

DaVinci030 wrote:
Zychotic wrote:Is this the only time we see 000 transform into Proto-Drive? I can't remembered if they showed that in series or not.
Proto-Drive appears in the series backstory and Secret Mission Episode 0. That's what I remembered.
So in those episodes, did we ever get a Henshin scene into Proto-Drive?
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack

Post by DaVinci030 »

Zychotic wrote:So in those episodes, did we ever get a Henshin scene into Proto-Drive?
As far as I know, I don't see any Henshin scenes of Proto-Drive... 'till now.

TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Yaiba wrote:Gun shot, blood, implied sex, and self inflect injuries. This is a Japanese kids movie for you.
Don't forget perkier assets from Medic-chan/Fumika Baba!!
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Overall it wasn't a bad movie, but I didn't find it very captivating. Yaiba and Takenoko really hit upon the weak points: it ran too long and there were bits that were really, really weird. The Gaim movies were only a hair over an hour, so I'm not sure why they thought this needed to be 85 minutes long; but the slow pacing required to fill it didn't do it any favors.

Looking at the Wiki: Angel was played by Kaze no Shizuka?! Well I'll be dipped. I'm glad to see the actress has range beyond Shizuka's immaturity. She does the psycho ex thing almost a little too well. :o
takenoko wrote:Aww, I liked Medic's sub story. It was cute. Although, I'm guessing it's just there to put her in a low cut dress in the end.
I'm disappointed her story didn't amount to more. Of the three boss Roidmude, she already received the least attention in the series. So this would have been a good opportunity to expand on that rather than using her presence as a gag.
Implied sex? Wait, did Data have sex with the Borg Queen in First Contact? Is that what he needed human skin for???
Data was doin' it in the third episode of the series, the first regular episode after the pilot. Roddenberry didn't waste any time there. :shock: Though it figures: Chase sees his first pair and that's all he can think about for the rest of the movie. :P

To draw another Data analogy, it's good that Chase's actor got a chance to break character and play Chase as trippin' on life. Playing an Android means playing a very narrow range, so it's good for the actor and the audience to see them step out now and then.
DaVinci030 wrote:better than having Terui Ryuu / KR Accel in there.
Having Accel in there was weird. I like the idea in concept, however since this wasn't Drive's movie to begin with, it felt more like padding than a meaningful cameo.
Yaiba wrote:Gun shot, blood, implied sex, and self inflect injuries. This is a Japanese kids movie for you.
Yep, sounds about right. And not a little bit of blood either; I was surprised at just how much gore we saw with Chase there at a the end.

Random observations:
  • Brain's being extra creepy. "Let's go to sleep"
  • For a Kamen Rider movie, it took a surprisingly long amount of time to get Chase's bike in there
  • The lack of any of the Drive sets is jarring. Besides the Riders themselves, the only prop we got from the series was Chase's bike.
  • I'm not sure who did the camerawork here, but it was also pretty weird. We got a lot of up close shots of characters eyes, not even seeing their whole faces.
  • Is the literal translation "the freedom of all sentient beings", or is Take taking a shot at Transformers? :P
Finally, a minor sub typo on the current release: 32:49: Alright, I\'m next! (note the backslash)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, haha, I can reencode it before release.

No one gets my references! The literal translation is all "living things". But for the sake of needless reference and the fact that Chase isn't protecting little squirrels and kitties, sentient beings worked.

Edit
“ I am… fully functional”

“programmed in… multiple techniques.”
http://takkynoko.tumblr.com/tagged/Kamen_Rider_Drive
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Edit
“ I am… fully functional”

“programmed in… multiple techniques.”
http://takkynoko.tumblr.com/tagged/Kamen_Rider_Drive
Granted it's his movie, but in this case Chase got all of the ladies. :P
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Rinna and Krim basically laughing off Chase when he asked if he can get human emotions was a bit cruel.

I did like this overall. As other people have said, it's a Roidmude story which meant that most of the human cast didn't have much screen time. I think Krim himself had more screentime than Go and Tomari combined. No one mentioned that Krim did a spittake on Chase's new emotions as well.

Man I did not see another Roidmude would copy the same person. I don't know if that guy or the Roidmudes are just incredibly unlucky since he isn't the type of person worth copying.

All this time, Terui has a daughter now. He still is the sempai over Tomari.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I'm not sure a police officer should be selling coke.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Was missing a font. 720 version coming soon.
Aha! I thought something seemed odd about Accel's font...
HowlingSnail wrote:I'm not sure a police officer should be selling coke.
Well really, what else are you supposed to do with all of that coke? :P

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”