Shuriken Sentai name discussion topic

Nin nin de gozaru!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Toqger | Ninninger | Jyuohger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Shuriken Sentai name discussion topic

Post by takenoko »

I just like having the u's represented. For us, it made a bit more sense to use Kyouryuuger since it paralleled better with Kyouryuu Sentai ZyuRanger.

I dunno, don't feel too bad about not going with Kyoryuger for that one. Even if we did, we wouldn't have used KyoryuZin or whatever it was. I think it's okay as translators to sometimes disagree with the official spellings once in a while, if there's good reason.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

We actually had a good reason - to represent the pun in their family names. It spells Kyouryuu (キョウリュウ) which is the Japanese word for dinosaur. Kiryuu, Yorkland, Udou, Rippuukan, Yuuzuki, Utsusemimaru. We take out the extra U's in Kyouryuuger and we lose the pun. In Japanese it doesn't really matter whether or not you put in the u's or not because people will pronounce them anyway, but I feel like it's extra important to keep them in for translation so people know how to pronounce stuff correctly.

Who among us doesn't accidentally say Zyuranger with a hard z sound occasionally? Keep in mind, while they're native Japanese speakers, their English is usually limited to about middle school level. They don't know what works best for an English speaker and they're not trying to either. Hence we occasionally tweak the "official" names. "Tokatti" still makes me think you say his name like "confetti"
Dragg
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Gym!

Post by Dragg »

Phoenix512 wrote:Blame PR for that.
Toqger, Kyoryuger, Gokaiger, Goseiger, Shinkenger, Go-onger, Gekiranger, Boukenger, Magiranger, Dekaranger...

Yes, let's blame PR for that.
FirenOh
Vaglass
Vaglass
Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Actor?: Mio Kudo
My boom: Hoshimachi Suisei
Type: INTP Architect

Post by FirenOh »

I'm fine with Ninninja, but I feel it's kinda weird since it looks like Toei isn't attempting to imply any difference in the naming scheme this year. I feel like they're just following the naming formula and we're the ones insisting there's a difference, unlike with Go-Busters where it was clearly a deviation. Perhaps if they pull another Tokyuuger/Toqger move, but honestly Ninninger reads fine to me.
"Absence diminishes little passions and increases great ones, as wind extinguishes candles and fans a fire." -Walt Whitman
Yes, you are certain Walt Whitman said that. One hundred percent positive.
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

Dragg wrote:
Phoenix512 wrote:Blame PR for that.
Toqger, Kyoryuger, Gokaiger, Goseiger, Shinkenger, Go-onger, Gekiranger, Boukenger, Magiranger, Dekaranger...

Yes, let's blame PR for that.
Not to mention that thanks to Gokaiger's keys, Ranger is the official name for Sentai warriors.
Dragg
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
My boom: Gym!

Post by Dragg »

Digifiend wrote:Not to mention that thanks to Gokaiger's keys, Ranger is the official name for Sentai warriors.
Good point.

What I'm trying to say is that the "Ranger" suffix for series names has been there for more than a decade now. Saying something like "Blame PR" just seems like a dick move to isolate fans off.
Vraptor140
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Vraptor140 »

I'm on the side going for -ger to be the spelling. It's not only for consistency with the past several seasons, but even arguing between ninja and ninger we see there's heavy use of puns already, and this could be one too.

Of course, the final word will most likely be the official spelling once it comes out.
Haruki
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Magiranger, Gokaiger
Dreamy: Mayonnaise!
Favorite Band: sekaowa
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Sachou!"

Post by Haruki »

I have never looked twice about the official spellings given out by toei because sometimes it's just so cringeworthy that my eyes hurt. So I personally prefer a spelling that looks neater and is easier to pronounce.

but in this case although ninninja is probably pronunciation-wise easier, I vote for -ger too just because it appeals more to me as a part of super sentai. If I did not see the -ger, I wouldn't have guessed it to be a super sentai series.

Ninninja looks like it could be a crappy live action movie or sth.
So my bro went "Uh uh! Girls can't like Kamen Riders" and I'm all,
Spoiler

Just a normal girl, waltzing with Tokusatsu. buriburi
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

I am ok with either way since ninnin part sounds like a pun already so for me at least it doesn't matter if it gets a -ja or a -ger at the end. :P
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Uzur9 »

Shuriken Sentai Ninninger (手裏剣戦隊ニンニンジャー Shuriken Sentai Ninninja) *from the PR wikia*
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

mkay, I see both Ninninger, AND Ninninja there... that solves thing :|
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

Uzur9 wrote:Shuriken Sentai Ninninger (手裏剣戦隊ニンニンジャー Shuriken Sentai Ninninja) *from the PR wikia*
Wiki admin here. We're on the fence too. If an official spelling appears on the show itself, official websites, or merchandise, we'll be adopting that spelling.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Yeah, don't trust any wikis (including ours!) about spellings when they're not official yet. Especially don't trust them if the person running them doesn't have a basic knowledge of Japanese (*cough*wikipedia*cough*)
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

How about Ninninjar? it sounds closer to -ger but ninja is still part of it :P
lostinbrave
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by lostinbrave »

Greenstalker wrote:How about Ninninjar? it sounds closer to -ger but ninja is still part of it :P
Japanese is a lot like german in that they use a vowel R rather than a fricative or labial R at the end of words, and it just sounds kind of like when you say ah. So Ninninjar and Ninninja would be pronounced identicaly, but gives the wrong connotation for the sound.
ImageImage

Return to “Shuriken Sentai Ninninger”