Ratings Poll: Shuriken Sentai Ninninger

Nin nin de gozaru!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Toqger | Ninninger | Jyuohger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.

How are you finding Ninninger?

***** It's on fire!!!
5%
**** It's hot!
15%
*** It's easy.
23%
** Could be better, pardner
35%
* You wish you could set it on fire, literally!
22%

Total votes: 131
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ratings Poll: Shuriken Sentai Ninninger

Post by takenoko »

So we've got the 6th member and approaching the end of the first quarter. How are people finding the series so far? (Remember you can change your vote if your feelings change)

I definitely think it could be a lot more polished, but overall, I'm enjoying it. I think the good points will keep me interested in it, despite some obvious annoying spots. A tentative 4, which can go up or down depending on how it develops.

Images

Master Polls List
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Ratings Poll: Shuriken Sentai Ninninger

Post by Lunagel »

I'm still incredibly unenthused any time Red shows up on screen since he just tends to irritate the hell out of me. Buuuut Starninger is surprisingly intriguing and may actually save this show for me.

I still think we should make Kasumi the Last Ninja already, she's clearly the best of the lot, but you just know it's going to be another focus on Red kicking everyone's ass.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

I gave it 2-stars for now because the run from episodes 3-6 were just mind-numbing, but it seems to be introducing some things that I like. Right now, I don't think any of the males are worth their weight in dust. Takaharu is an idiot, Yakumo seems to carry an "i have better stuff to do" aura, and Nagi's just...maybe he's just underdeveloped as a character right now. I agree 100% with Lunangel, I think Kasumi should go ahead and claim the Last Ninja.

I expect my opinion on the show to change considerably as we move into the season, the sentai series always seem to have a rather dry middle section in my opinion.

EDIT: I'm curious to know how the show is doing in Japan, if anyone has knowledge of that :D
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
scot64
Gao

Post by scot64 »

I am giving it a 3.5 for now. I just finished ep.10 and find it weak in areas (When I watched Go-Busters it was very good in the beginning with the complexitiy of the characters and sub stories and by ep. 10 of their series I was hooked). The comedy value of the show is good.
The main characters in Ninninger have potential for some great subplots that could come out of no where and I hope that I get it. The latest character Star Ninninger I hope gets better.
There is just one thing I am not sure of where the writers and director are going with a few things in one scene in ep. 6 at the ending, One that really stands out is when at the end when everyone is safe after the battle and walking through the park. Tsumuji runs to towards them calling to Fuukas (father relieve that his daughter is safe.. get that, normal) Fuuka's reaction and pushing him away and hiding behind Kasumi. The shocked look on Kasumi's face and then Tsumuji not being fazed by his daughters reaction. and then 20 seconds later it's like the whole thing never happened.

The other is that I think there is more to the connection between Yoshitaka and Kyuuemon and I look forward to see where this part of the story goes.

I hope I grow to like this series more and can rate it higher.

Thank you for your hard work in subbing these shows. Your efforts are appreciated.
Katiana
Adventure
Favorite series: too many to list
Favorite Band: Eyeshine
My boom: Toku

Post by Katiana »

I've given it a two for now. The show hooked me from episode 1 but now has fallen kind of flat for me now. One of the only reasons I'm still watching is in the hope it gets better as well as the only people that bother me so far are Takaharu and StarNinger (Kinji right?). Takaharu and his catch phrase as so many people have already said is incredibly annoying and his actor has no idea what he's doing, which is disappointing because Sentai and Kamen Rider typically find fairly decent actors that get better the more the season progresses (unlike some shows). I'm okay with the American stereotypes since its actually pretty funny but the stupid southern U.S./cowboy stereotypes really grate on me as someone who was born in Texas and is proud of it.

Also am I the only one that fully expects them to pull some bullshit at the very end of the season and make the entire team Last Ninja somehow with some Aesop about teamwork or something. Especially with how much the grandfather is pushing them to work together as a team and that they're stronger this way. Okay yeah that's a rather typical Sentai Aesop but still.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I'm hoping for something bleak, like grandpa dying during the course of the storyline.
Jetman
Infinity

Post by Jetman »

I mostly like it so far. I also give it a tentative three and a half to four stars. Though I wish it was better, because it has a lot of potential that it isn't really living up to (so far).

Some things I'd like to see: Development for Fuuka and, especially Nagi. Seriously, the guy barely exists so far. You could cut him out of every episode and it would hardly make a difference. More usage of the Takaharu/Fuuka sibling rivalry. Both characters are at their best when they're teasing or needling each other. Make Kasumi Last Ninja in the end. She's the best candidate, and it would be something really cool and unusual and a great twist (only semi-serious about that, though I'd love it if it happened.) And lastly, less yelling from Takaharu please!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

It's a 5 point poll, guys, not 10. Stop sitting on the fence and giving it half-points; give it a 3 or give it a 4. :P
Katiana wrote:I've given it a two for now. The show hooked me from episode 1 but now has fallen kind of flat for me now. One of the only reasons I'm still watching is in the hope it gets better as well as the only people that bother me so far are Takaharu and StarNinger (Kinji right?). Takaharu and his catch phrase as so many people have already said is incredibly annoying and his actor has no idea what he's doing, which is disappointing because Sentai and Kamen Rider typically find fairly decent actors that get better the more the season progresses (unlike some shows). I'm okay with the American stereotypes since its actually pretty funny but the stupid southern U.S./cowboy stereotypes really grate on me as someone who was born in Texas and is proud of it.

Also am I the only one that fully expects them to pull some bullshit at the very end of the season and make the entire team Last Ninja somehow with some Aesop about teamwork or something. Especially with how much the grandfather is pushing them to work together as a team and that they're stronger this way. Okay yeah that's a rather typical Sentai Aesop but still.
Not much to add here that Katiana hasn't already said. This show is at a 2 right now. Takaharu is painfully annoying, and other than Kasumi, the rest of the gang isn't much better. It has been 10 episodes of incoherent yelling so far.

And no, Katiana, I agree with your suspicions that Last Ninja will somehow be awarded to all of the team.
Aurikill
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Post by Aurikill »

My daughter, 7 years old, is my best parameter on Ninninger. She loves everything, except the red abnoxious guy. Since we speak portuguese (we're brazilian), I translate the subs for her, and she asked me to NEVER say anything when he shouts. Despite that, She's very excited about the show, to the point of learning all the dances :-)

She grew up on Super Sentai (TV-Nihon subs, always) and it's her 10th series, so I believe she have a decent backgroung to decide it. Just for reference. she totally hated Toqger, Goseiger and Boukenger, to the point of never pass ep. 10.

Just to note, she loves Kamen Rider too and found Drive meh, after rave about Gaim and be seriously disappointed about Wizard.
xPrimexTimex
Infinity

Post by xPrimexTimex »

I gave it a 2. I'm harder on Ninninger than I was on Drive. Starninger is fairly amusing, and he's a better Takaharu than Takaharu! Kasumi should just be given Last Ninja already, she's the only one who actually deserves it.

Takaharu is dragging the show down. He's very one dimensional and gets very irritating after awhile which is made worse since he gets a lot of screen time. Ya, I get he's the Red, but still! Actually develop Fuuka and Nagi, please!!!! I kinda feel bad for their actors. I imagine they knew they were gonna be second fiddle to whoever the red was gonna be, but not really having character development is miserable. The actor in me feels for them. The director in me cries at night.

If the writing could improve and Takaharu be less annoying, I could see a 3, maybe a 4. For now, it's just a 2.
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Renigami »

I agree with the others here that Takaharu's fire one-liner is grating now, flat and out of place at that. The others have more depth to them (seriously, what about the magic school and other students in this set universe Ninninger is in?). And what about the advance degree Katsumi is going for? Are we going to see her collegues in training alongside for another episode? And Nagi and Fuuka's conflicting school life perhaps?

Seems that the reason why I think the spotlight is heavy on Takaharu is more or less that phrase he says and that just well stuck, for worse.

The series so far is just average. This tries to bring what Kyoryuger did in the tiny charms (the dance in the ending sequence versus none in Toqger) and more or less a bit light hearted than usual lightheartedness of Sentai, but it is just noise. And what about the dad? Surely he is someone to show more in depth why he cannot inherit his dad's power or execute nintality ninjitsu... But all supporting characters aren't supporting enough, more or less backdrop to the entire motif of the series.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Not really feeling it as it is now. Have to agree with the sentiments that Red is kind of killing it for me.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

It's really super average for me at the moment.

Right now it's just a generic series. There's just nothing really unique and interesting yet about the story. Ninjas have been done before twice already that it gets old. Their attack skills are old as well (eg. the hay dummy replacements, and the disappearing into smoke act). And there's nothing really interesting with fighting a revived enemy army. There's nothing interesting with the enemy too.

And the 6th ranger's introduction doesn't make me like him much. He came in trying to kill (or injure) the grandpa, and then we're forced to accept him as a good guy. Compared to Toqger (Zalam was a good guy all the time with an interesting background), and Kyouryuuger (epic story about Utsusemimaru), this simple story just doesn't immerse me into it much. And his theme is just a 90% copy of Shurikenger, again another thing which has gotten old for me.
Banjo
Infinity

Post by Banjo »

I guess I'm in the minority but Takaharu appeals to my inner child. He's a loveable idiot. Maybe I love to shout "Moeta KITAAA" too. So what!

The girls are always a big factor if I like a Sentai show, and the ones here are great. Fuuka is more "adorable" cute while Kasumi has a "sexy" cute thing going on. And Kasumi always has these small moments to make her stand out, like a one liner or her facial expressions or saving the day like she did in episode 9. She's easily the best part of the show.

I like Yakumo more than I thought I would going into the series. He's a damn good lancer, and really the leader most of the time. Nagi is... nothing. He's just filler to make five. The team probably should have been four members to start with. Starninger would be the 5th member and later, introduce a 6th member. That would have been better. The extra screen time could have gone to other characters.

To me the villains are the weakest part. They were weak in Gokaiger too, but they were goofy & funny at least and Basco was a great rival. The monsters of the week have been more entertaining than the main villains. The demon obsessed with Akaninger... why? This rivalry is so random. In Shinkenger it was one of the best parts of the show. Here it's just disappointing.

These are only minor complaints tho. I have a great time watching this show. It's not brilliant or anything, but just extremely fun to watch. It has good comedy. I find myself rewinding a lot because something keeps making me laugh. This is the show I wanted since Gokaiger ended. The last three Sentai have not been nearly as entertaining for me. I eagerly await every new episode!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

My problem is that Takaharu doesn't fill the lovable part of the lovable idiot equation. The writing for him is just super bad and grating. And he really doesn't do anything to earn the group's trust in him, they just hand the reins over to him and let him be the star for seemingly no reason other than he's the oldest.

I think a lot of people are latching onto Kinji because he's a lovable idiot done right. He messes up a lot, but he does them for the right reasons. Plus he saved that kid and made her stop crying that one time. In one episode, they've already established him way better than they did with 10 episodes for Takaharu.

I actually like the villains quite a bit. I like Kyuuemon's scheming and I like Gabi's relentless, rogue with honor archetype. But then again, I also liked the portrayal of the Gokaiger villains.

Return to “Shuriken Sentai Ninninger”