Ninninger 20 sanjou!

Nin nin de gozaru!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Toqger | Ninninger | Jyuohger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Ninninger 20 sanjou!

Post by takenoko »

Nah. It's not a temporary pupil. He's a pupil in a reduced capacity. The line needs to parallel the previous line of "since you surpassed me a little bit" so I had to phrase it that way.
xPrimexTimex
Infinity

Post by xPrimexTimex »

The thing that sucks is that this show has a lot of wasted potential. Kasumi at this point is still my Last Ninja but is there any use in pretending that it'll be someone other than Takaharu?

I don't mind Red-centric shows, but ya gotta make them worth focusing on! Daigo from Kyouryuuger was worth watching because of his charm and how friendly he was. Same thing with Gentarou from Fourze. Takaharu is just clueless. He's passionate, but he can be quite grating so an inherently good quality comes across as annoying. Oh well.

At some level, it does make since for Takaharu to get partnered with this specific Otomo Nin, but having the power up fight come after a scene where Takaharu is supposed to have learn something about teamwork is bad timing.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

Eternal_Winterbane wrote:...... it makes me miss the Toqger mech's.
NOTHING could ever make me miss those horribly-designed, kibble-infested monstrosities. I'm loving Ninninger mostly because it ISN'T Toqger, which stands alone as the only Sentai I have ever flat-out hated. Yes, Takaharu is an idiot, but so were the Reds in Dekaranger, Magiranger, Gekiranger and Goseiger(EVERYONE in Toqger was a complete idiot; it was the villains who made that show even barely watchable). There's almost always an idiot character and sometimes it's the Red. Ninninger's music is catchy, the suits are cool, the mecha have a unique twist (I'd almost call it steampunk-ish) to their design and everything seems to have the intention of hitting you full-force. Is it style over substance? Yes; but sometimes that can be entertaining in its own right. And for me, Ninninger is hitting all the right buttons.
Jetman
Infinity

Post by Jetman »

xPrimexTimex wrote:The thing that sucks is that this show has a lot of wasted potential.
That's what I think too. It's disappointing. Ninninger has a lot of good ideas and a lot of things going for it and could be easily be so much better.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

xPrimexTimex wrote:The thing that sucks is that this show has a lot of wasted potential. Kasumi at this point is still my Last Ninja but is there any use in pretending that it'll be someone other than Takaharu?
If Kinji becomes the Last Ninja I will take back everything I've ever said about the show. :lol: :lol:

I watched this one earlier in the week and wanted to see what others thought of it before saying anything disparaging about it. I said a few weeks ago that I'd watch at least to episode 20 before deciding to bail or not, and even though I really dislike the series, I have a feeling that the final story arc will be something monumental. We all know that this specific episode plot has been done before, and recently, but what I thought was missing was the "thought period" where Red was told he's useless/arrogant/a moron, and then he goes and thinks for 10 or so minutes of episode time, has an epiphany, and then the entire team has a big pow-wow and takes down the MOTW. That seemed to be missing from this, and, like others have noted, it's what makes Takaharu (and the series) unlikable to me. He was told he was an idiot and then immediately figured it out, put on some Samurai armor (Which looked remarkably similar to the PR Samurai Shogun armor!) and beat the monster by himself. Let's be honest, we have Takaharu-centric episodes like this, but Yakumo's episode was about his love affair with a lawnmower. Nagi's episodes have been about school, Kasumi has MacGyver'd something out of nothing, and has there been a Fuuka episode yet? At 20 episodes in, I don't want to just bail on it and come back later, but I think letting a few episodes stack up then watching them all at once could make this period of the show much more tolerable, and hopefully it is just a down period in the show. :?
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
Jetman
Infinity

Post by Jetman »

mholden020 wrote:If Kinji becomes the Last Ninja I will take back everything I've ever said about the show. :lol: :lol:
Honestly, Screen time aside, Kinji has a better claim to "main character" status than Takaharu does. We have an ongoing story about him wanting to be the Last Ninja's student and trying to meet his expectations, we've had him wrestling with self doubt and temptation, we have his tragic back story and he's a much better fit as Kyuuemon's nemesis than any of the others. I actually hope they DO make him Last Ninja. It would be a pretty ballsy move and go a long toward making up for all of Ninninger's problems.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

Kamen Rider Gumo wrote:
Eternal_Winterbane wrote:...... it makes me miss the Toqger mech's.
NOTHING could ever make me miss those horribly-designed, kibble-infested monstrosities. I'm loving Ninninger mostly because it ISN'T Toqger, which stands alone as the only Sentai I have ever flat-out hated. Yes, Takaharu is an idiot, but so were the Reds in Dekaranger, Magiranger, Gekiranger and Goseiger(EVERYONE in Toqger was a complete idiot; it was the villains who made that show even barely watchable). There's almost always an idiot character and sometimes it's the Red. Ninninger's music is catchy, the suits are cool, the mecha have a unique twist (I'd almost call it steampunk-ish) to their design and everything seems to have the intention of hitting you full-force. Is it style over substance? Yes; but sometimes that can be entertaining in its own right. And for me, Ninninger is hitting all the right buttons.
How about you tell us how you really feel. Also please don't compare Takaharu to Ban or Jan. At least Ban and Jan were likable. Takaharu has moments where he might be awesome, but he is just dumb.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

They're not gonna make Kinji "Last Ninja". :lol: What's likely gonna happen is that either the team all get it or it ends up like with Toqger last year with Takaharu cycling through everyone's powers. It'll still end up a team effort in the end.
mholden020
Gabu
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher

Post by mholden020 »

No intent to steer the topic off course, but does anyone know how the show is doing in Japan?
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Shuriken_S ... Chronology
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ressha_Sen ... Chronology

Looks like it has less viewership compared to Toqger. But that's been happening for a while now.
mholden020
Gabu
-Michael Schumacher

Post by mholden020 »

takenoko wrote:http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Shuriken_S ... Chronology
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ressha_Sen ... Chronology

Looks like it has less viewership compared to Toqger. But that's been happening for a while now.
Ah, that embarrassing moment when what you were looking for was right in front of you the whole time! :oops:

Thanks Take, that's exactly what I was curious about!
Completed Series:
Knight of L-sama
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: It is a place that dwells in the memory of those who still dream of its ancient glory. A world revered for its beauty, mystery and danger. On a planet of endless adventure such a land is known as El-Hazard. If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million night, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Knight of L-sama »

Kuchiri wrote:How about you tell us how you really feel. Also please don't compare Takaharu to Ban or Jan. At least Ban and Jan were likable. Takaharu has moments where he might be awesome, but he is just dumb.
I can't speak to Ban, but I'll agree with Jan. Heck, Jan is actually one of the examples I'd use to demonstrate how to use an "instinctive" type character. As annoying as those nonsense phrases could be, they actually showed more thought than Takaharu. There was an idea there that Jan was struggling to put into words due to his limited vocabulary. Takaharu is just... dumb.

And he hasn't had moments, his had a moment. Singular. That one quiet, serious scene with Fuuka.

But narratively, Kinji becoming the Last Ninja would be interesting. While I'd still pick Kasumi if it was up to me, Kinji would have more narrative weight. It would also give some narrative weight to the grandfather's story, having him overcome his past betrayal to be able to put his trust into non-family members.
Welcome to the Sea of Chaos!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

That new theme for the robot was sweet.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Knight of L-sama wrote: But narratively, Kinji becoming the Last Ninja would be interesting. While I'd still pick Kasumi if it was up to me, Kinji would have more narrative weight. It would also give some narrative weight to the grandfather's story, having him overcome his past betrayal to be able to put his trust into non-family members.
Gramps doesn't really trust anyone period. He probably only allow the grandchildren to be ninjas because he's just too old at this point. He's definitely rather do it himself than let anyone else do it but he can't at this point.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Well if I had Takaharu for a grandson, I wouldn't trust anyone with the title of Last Ninja either.

Let's look at this from an individual standpoint-
Takaharu is a moron
Kasumi is overqualified and probably would rather be doing something more worthwhile with her time
Yakumo would rather be doing magic
Nagi is only in it for the title (although to be frank, we haven't seen enough of Nagi in order to really figure out what his motivations are)
Fuuka is an underdeveloped character but it doesn't seem like she really cares.

Honestly Kinji is the best choice because he's actually interested in the title in order to carry on his family's legacy and has done far more to earn it at this point.

tl;dr all aboard the takaharu hate train

Return to “Shuriken Sentai Ninninger”