Star-San as Red

Nin nin de gozaru!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Toqger | Ninninger | Jyuohger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
CaptainTalon449
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "This is our stage" -Kazuraba Kouta
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Star-San as Red

Post by CaptainTalon449 »

So I've been a bit out of Nininnger for a while there seems to be one constant that I've noticed in the episode discussions. It doesn't seem like anyone really likes Takaharu as Red and the writing is going out of its way to justify making him an interesting character.

However, though a lot of people including myself seem to like Star-san a lot more given his backstory and his reasonings for becoming the Last Ninja. This begs the question though should Star-san just be red in the first place. A more doubtful red would've really helped this series for team dynamics and such.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Re: Star-San as Red

Post by midorininger »

its a cool idea and hey maybe if red jumps in and fails and dies it could happen. star is great. he eanred his spot.
Jetman
Infinity

Post by Jetman »

Starninger is the sort of character this Red SHOULD have been in the first place. Unfortunately, it's a little too late for that now. I just hope the writers start utilizing the other Ninningers more ofter, but we're a little more than half way through and they seem to have no intention of doing that any time soon.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

I dunno, a red who turns into a raving idiot whenever he sees a youkai might just turn me off the show more. \:
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

... am I the only person who finds Star-san's personallity and 'haha look he's American' quirks more grating than Red's straight forward charm lacking idiocy?
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

On a serious note,
I found Star grating in that he feels like a bad sitcom character. You have a character who could be used for decent conflict, but instead it's all just shrugged off with a "That's our Kinji!" *laugh track* and not a care in the world.
And even when he leaves, the core group wants him back claiming it's "not the same without that guy trying to kill us, I miss him!"... which is kinda creepy, I think.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I feel like swapping Star-san into Red's position doesn't address the real problem with the series: the dynamics. All it does is get rid of the guy you dislike. But why do you dislike him so much? Because he gets shoved in your face constantly. I don't want someone else on the fucking throne, I want the playing field leveled. Give us some fun stories about Yakumo and his history with magic, Kasumi doing some nerdy engineer shit. God forbid tell us something about Nagi or Fuuka as individuals.

That said, if we had to just put someone else on the shiny throne-of-overemphasis, why not a character who's had less than adequate spotlight? We like Star-san, but he gets quite a lot of spotlight for himself as it is. More might just make him annoying. How about... Fuuka for red? What's she like when she's not bothering her brother? If something happened to her brother, she might be a good candidate for his role since she's next of kin. Plus, you still need someone in the main role who has an important link to both the cousins, as well as the father and grandfather characters. Instead of being overpowered the way Takaharu is, Fuuka would probably need more help from the other cousins to fulfill her new role. It can focus on Fuuka without overly focusing on just her character the way it does not with Takaharu's.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by midorininger »

though, ao, shiro, momo, and kininger can function as a team. kinji who doesnt play well as a team player, getting thrown into the red spot could work to solve the team work issue as he learns team work from them. through that process he learns, and we do too, more about each character as he draws something from them, and maybe from him, and grow together as characters. i think that would save the series a bit.
Weather
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite Actor?: Tomoyuki Dan
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Post by Weather »

takenoko wrote:I feel like swapping Star-san into Red's position doesn't address the real problem with the series: the dynamics. All it does is get rid of the guy you dislike. But why do you dislike him so much? Because he gets shoved in your face constantly. I don't want someone else on the fucking throne, I want the playing field leveled. Give us some fun stories about Yakumo and his history with magic, Kasumi doing some nerdy engineer shit. God forbid tell us something about Nagi or Fuuka as individuals.

Thats so cute, you think we'll get any backstory on this whole magic biz in Ningers ^^. Sadly, this is the only thing we can do, talk. especially, since there is a TON of stuff that magic school can provide, some realyy interesting world bulding, is there some connection to ninpou, HELL we might have even got enemy team for ningers like Nezirangers in megarangers. Kumo char could provide so much for this series... That we wiull never see cos the only reason for magic to exist in ningers world, is to give him a conflict and thats it. Nothing more. Zero. Nada. Nope. Author doesn't give a flick bout magic, he can;t be bothered creating stuff for this magic, cos he's too busy with giving Takaharu a bj every ep.

And you are right, swapping positions won't change a thing, (especially even if Taka died, eps would still focus on him, or at least his grave). Getting rid of red onyl upgrade also won't change a thing. There are some things that would help this show, but that won't happen. Let's take it slowly, and examine the serie sup till this point.

How many proper character developments have we got up till the latest ep?

This is Kasumi, when we got to know that she can creates gizmos to help them with enemies. 1 time, we got to learn soemthing new from a char, that wasnt completely done by talking.

Now, bout the rest? Yeah, 0. Obviously. Kumo tries to have char dev, with "mommy" twice and both times it fails miserable. Why? Simple, we get to see jack sh*t. No flashback with them spending time, no nothing, heck in the first one, we don't even get talking, it's just "eeeh Kumo, you still call auntie, mommy?" And thats it. In second, aside form stupidity of that whole lawnmower biz, only thing we get is just talk. Why the hell should we care bout his relationship with auntie? Why should he care? How they were spending time? What were they doing, how she became so clos eto Kumo hearts? NO ANSWERS. He just realyy cares bout any shite connected to her, at this point i can just assume she was giving him blowjob while he was studying. And this is as good of a guess, as anything cos we cant get any flashbacks up here.

Nagi Fuuka R.I.P in peace..... K, they had this 1 ep, with they school but not counting cos it wasn;t good, plus it ends with them being open bout they abilities, but since we will never see consequences of that, and even more those 2 friends of them EVER, dev count doesn't even budge.

Takaharu....nope, he go tabsolutely nothing, just simple char introduction.

Star? Still nothing beside introduction, and tease for his development. Same goes from gramps and Kyuuemon, but with them is a lil problem...Those two are "show big mystery"! So yeah, not realyy counting those, when we'll get there.

Now...What about the world development? Yeah it's zero. There ar eonly random ass stuff as magic, and other ninjas still in the mdoern age, no explanation will be given ever pls go away.

So...21 episode in.... We have 0 world development. 1 pretty nice char dev. 1 tease for char dev and (lets jsut eb generous) 2 tease for big mystery.

This......This is inexcusable, hello? 2 char completely forgotten, 1 spamming elements of char that he was introduced with, other 1 have tons of stuff about him, that we would like to get answers too, 1 with pretty ok dev, and lots of teases?

There is...No time to fix all of this....Even if there wa,s it would be wasted on some simple interactions, that wouldn't go anyway. That's it, just wait for big mystery reveal and Star char dev, now with 300% of Takaharu in every nanosecond.

.....When i watched the first ep, nothing caught me....No character seemd interesting, mecha didnt looked good, and premise was just wasted..... This show, literally gone further with only 1 thing....Shoving Takaharu dick, in the face sof the viewers. This should not have place, this is not super sentai, this must not stand. We CAN'T have a repeat of that after Ningers......
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

With all due respect, I think you'd be better off spending your time watching something else; the show clearly hasn't clicked for you.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I think it's fine. Who here isn't watching the show and complaining? Some people watch a show just to complain, and that's perfectly legitimate too.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by midorininger »

well i like the idea of the 6th member taking over as the red. has a red ever died on screen before?
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.

Post by Kuchiri »

Not died, but have been replaced.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by midorininger »

aside from in shinkenger, which seemed temporary, when else and what were the conditions? i mean i know with kakuranger, white was the leader sure. i mean maybe trollgrandpa would tell takaharu he cant be a ninger anymore because he has failed to learn a single thing?
Knight of L-sama
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: It is a place that dwells in the memory of those who still dream of its ancient glory. A world revered for its beauty, mystery and danger. On a planet of endless adventure such a land is known as El-Hazard. If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million night, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Knight of L-sama »

midorininger wrote:aside from in shinkenger, which seemed temporary, when else and what were the conditions? i mean i know with kakuranger, white was the leader sure. i mean maybe trollgrandpa would tell takaharu he cant be a ninger anymore because he has failed to learn a single thing?
Vul Eagle in Sun Vulcan way back. Though from what I understand that was an actor availability thing and they knew he was going to need to be replaced at some point when they were going in.
takenoko wrote:I feel like swapping Star-san into Red's position doesn't address the real problem with the series: the dynamics. All it does is get rid of the guy you dislike. But why do you dislike him so much? Because he gets shoved in your face constantly. I don't want someone else on the fucking throne, I want the playing field leveled. Give us some fun stories about Yakumo and his history with magic, Kasumi doing some nerdy engineer shit. God forbid tell us something about Nagi or Fuuka as individuals.
While I agree that changing out the characters wouldn't address the fundamental issue of unbalanced focus, I do feel that it would ameliorate it somewhat by virtue of Kinji being a (potentially) more interesting character than Takaharu. He has a back story with the loss of his family (and I still feel there's more going on there than meets the eye) and a history of being tempted into making poor decisions that can be spun any number of ways, plus the drama of an outsider potentially taking over the team.

Short version: over-focus on a more interesting character is at least a step up from over-focus on an uninteresting character.
Kogashi wrote:.. am I the only person who finds Star-san's personallity and 'haha look he's American' quirks more grating than Red's straight forward charm lacking idiocy?
Speaking only for myself, I find that people are getting upset over it to be the most amusing thing about the whole issue :twisted:. Sure it's not nice, but I'm Australian and have zero emotional investment in the issue. :mrgreen:
Welcome to the Sea of Chaos!

Return to “Shuriken Sentai Ninninger”