Ninninger 23 sanjou!

Nin nin de gozaru!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Toqger | Ninninger | Jyuohger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ninninger 23 sanjou!

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ninninger_Shinobi_no_23

Awesome. A Kasumi episode turns out to also secretly be a Nagi episode. And it's good! We get to see his jealousy, his mischieviousness, and a moment where he grows a little and learns to be more independent.

I'm also pleased that setting the guys on fire to release them also set their asses on fire. I mean, they're lucky that's all that happened.

Thank you for having the minimum amount of Takaharu as possible in this episode.

How did three guys dressed as death ride the plane? You thought TSA gave you problems...

I love how Mitsuishi doesn't take her role seriously at all. She's hamming it up in a great way.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Re: Ninninger 23 sanjou!

Post by DaVinci030 »

xD xD xD xD xD

I really laughed that much... setting these guys' butts on fire rather than getting the girls scared.

/me thumbs Kasumi up and ranks her as Lady Last Ninja

I can say that Ariake no Kata should be Kasumi's rival... if they fit much for a fight.

PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Finally, someone in-series told Takaharu to knock off that stupid catchphrase.

That ongoing gripe aside, I enjoyed this episode quite a lot. Definitely the most fun I’ve had with Ninninger in months. Not surprisingly, it was a Kasumi-centric episode, with a decent portion of the focus allotted to Nagi. I found it kind of hilarious that the plot of this episode is “the guys are jealous that Kasumi is smarter than them and try to play prank that winds up backfiring on them”.

I figured Kasumi wasn’t really afraid of ghosts - there’s no way she would casually announce something like that. As Nagi got more and more focus, I began doubting my initial suspicions. I was glad to see that I was right, and that Kasumi had not only tricked the guys but Ariake no Kata and the Youkai as well.

I genuinely laughed quite a bit, from Takaharu’s ridiculous red pepper costume and everyone’s reaction to it, to poor Fuuka genuinely getting scared out of her wits. I thought she might have been in on it with Kasumi, but alas no. Credit to Yellow’s suit actor as well - the way he flopped down when Kasumi revealed her plan and crouched down while everyone else transformed were little things, but it was pretty adorable and added to the character.

The Youkai had a pretty cool design. (No pun intended.) It helped that I tried a recipe over the weekend that called for sweetened condensed milk, and I ended up making some shaved ice of my own to enjoy. I also loved the Ha-Oh ShurikenJin Snowman formation.

The advanced techniques were pretty neat. The barbecue one was really crazy. It actually reminds me of some of the crazy finishers that the ToQgers would create with their cannon.

Kyuuemon’s absolute disdain for helping Ariake no Kata grow the Youkai at the end was amusing. I doubt it will be long before a double-cross is attempted.

For a second at the end, I thought Kasumi saying she was afraid of the beach had triggered everyone to hop on a plane and go to Hawaii or something, but it was just some foreign Youkai entering Japan. Wonder how easy it is for them to get through customs...

Summer/movie ending dance! Nice to see them do it again. You can tell they’ve all gotten more comfortable with the choreography, especially Yakumo’s actor, since I’m sure they’ve had to do it at live events and stuff.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

HAHAHAHA. Did a bunch of monsters just fly into Japan from Europe on a commercial flight?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like how they use the Goton Nin-Shuriken to mix up advanced techniques. Also, hasn't it been some time since a Sealing Shuriken transformed into a Nin Shuriken now? I guess their Nintality hasn't quite improved?

Speaking of Shurikens, we haven't seen Kitsune Kyuuemon use all the powers of the Goton You Shuriken now, have we? It seems that the only technique used so far is the "Hidai-Hansoku no Justsu"; Gashadokuro Shoukan no Jutsu utilizes a separate shuriken.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Wow, I haven't enjoyed a Ninninger episode that much in a long time. Not only was it a character-driven episode for Kasumi *and* Nagi, but we also got some growth and quite a few actually really funny moments. Without Takaharu hogging the spotlight all the time, we get to see the other characters and what lets them shine. And man, Kasumi might just be the best character/actress to come out of this series. She's cunning, focused, and even a little bit on the trickster side.

I think the only reason she hasn't become Last Ninja yet is because she knows it's a bum job and she'd rather Takaharu take over it and then she do all the important stuff from the shadows.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Funny how that is, considering she had the most acting experience in the group when they were hired initially. Almost... intentional.
Weather
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite Actor?: Tomoyuki Dan
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Post by Weather »

Oh hey looksie, Ningers pretend to have an episode bout Nagi character, how sweet ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wait what....They realyy develop Nagi character? O.o This asshole bravery test, they did to fill they ego cos a girl is better than them, was actually in Kasumi plans?! All according to Aizen? @.@. As lil of Taka as possible? X_x

Ningers, what is wrong with you, you sick? You have a fever? Lay down and eat some hot soup, i'm concerned for you ;_;.
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

Really enjoyed this Nagi/Kasumi focused episode, alot of laughs and some sense to it all while developing the focused characters. I'm still standing by my theory regarding why Taka keeps getting power ups, as the siblings easily beat the footsoldiers with the basic weaponry while Taka has to power up in order to defeat his targets
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

Eternal_Winterbane wrote:Really enjoyed this Nagi/Kasumi focused episode, alot of laughs and some sense to it all while developing the focused characters. I'm still standing by my theory regarding why Taka keeps getting power ups, as the siblings easily beat the footsoldiers with the basic weaponry while Taka has to power up in order to defeat his targets
The reason why Taka has to power up is because of Toy Sales.

No seriously only reason. They needed the power up to stop a monster that was created from two sealing shurikens. All the other monsters shouldn't need the power up.

I mean they could use the argument that that these European Youkai are stronger than regular Japanese Youkai so the powerup would be needed again.

I want to see a Ninninger use Kitsune's Shuriken for one of their attacks now. Maybe there will be a Dark Ninninger.
gumbyx84
Favorite series: Go-Onger
Favorite Actor?: Mikoto Amano

Post by gumbyx84 »

I really liked the episode. Like everyone said, it was nice to not have an episode not focuses on Taka. They did the same thing with Ep 22, but this feels more genuine to me if that makes sense. I also like the Youkai in this episode. I like the Yuki Onna/snow woman folk story. Her design was a lot less busy than most of the Youkai we normally see. I'm interested to see the European Youkais' design beyond Franken.

PS At 14:15, Nagi says "itadakimasu" but the subs translate it as "This one's mine". I've never heard itadakimasu used that way nor does it seem to be an accurate translation. Was it an error or am I just being too anal/picky?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger

Post by Lunagel »

gumbyx84 wrote:PS At 14:15, Nagi says "itadakimasu" but the subs translate it as "This one's mine". I've never heard itadakimasu used that way nor does it seem to be an accurate translation. Was it an error or am I just being too anal/picky?
It's a little loose, but it's accurate. In this case, Nagi's saying "I'm gonna eat it!" like itadakimasu literally means, so it's not too much of a stretch to say "I'm eating this one!" or "This one's mine!"

Keep in mind translating isn't an exact art, you can't translate everything literally or else subs would look like google translate did everything.
daburuwosagase
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Fourze
Quote: "But they didn't know that this Majide is MADE OF DEKIRU and I will tsubusu you! I will tsubusu and TAOSU you!!"

Post by daburuwosagase »

There's no denying that this was the best written episode in a good long while. It still had its share of poor choices, but blessedly it was on a lower scale. Takaharu being the one to dress as something not conventionally scary, for example. Even when it's about other people, it's still about him somehow. Fuuka still has her actions revolve around other people, but at least it was with Kasumi instead of Takaharu for once.

Anyway, this episode really highlights the problem with Nagi and his character: he lets others do the work for him, whether he's reading manuals or letting others get ahead of him so he can copy them. Hence, he doesn't shine through on his own. But by making it a combined episode and forcing Nagi to do something himself, his character takes a step forward. I'm looking forward to future Nagi episodes, if they bother to give him any time again. The episode does Kasumi quite a bit of justice as well: always calculating, using others to experiment for a solution. Combining her with Nagi was a good choice, since one of them will have to yield so they can accomplish something.

With that in mind, I can understand a little better why TakaNinja gets the spotlight almost all the time. Nagi and Kasumi let others do the brute work, and Fuuka and Yakumo would much rather be doing their own thing (being a normal schoolgirl/studying magic). It'd be nice if they gave the rest some strong motivation to become ninjas so they could shine through the red filter, but I kind of doubt it. That sushi episode is probably still going to be relevant to the writing... "Sure, I could just eat only the stuff I like (do it all myself), but it's more interesting if there's a variety (you guys are only here to make it a sentai)!"
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote:
gumbyx84 wrote:PS At 14:15, Nagi says "itadakimasu" but the subs translate it as "This one's mine". I've never heard itadakimasu used that way nor does it seem to be an accurate translation. Was it an error or am I just being too anal/picky?
It's a little loose, but it's accurate. In this case, Nagi's saying "I'm gonna eat it!" like itadakimasu literally means, so it's not too much of a stretch to say "I'm eating this one!" or "This one's mine!"

Keep in mind translating isn't an exact art, you can't translate everything literally or else subs would look like google translate did everything.
If I had thought about it a bit more, I probably would have just left it as Itadakimasu. I overthought the scene and assumed he couldn't eat the shaved ice through the helmet, but since he's taunting her, it probably doesn't matter. I think luna's understanding of itadakimasu is flipped. It literally is the humble way of saying "I will gladly receive this / I will be taking this / This is mine", but in practice they say it before eating to show gratitude for their food "Let us partake in this meal."
http://www.tofugu.com/2012/08/06/what-d ... masu-mean/

>Even when it's about other people, it's still about him somehow.

That's sort of a stretch. Yeah he stands out, but it's played off as a joke. Blame Takaharu when blame is due, but you can't fault the guy for just being there.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Not a bad episode, in fact I'd even say it was a solid episode. I kind of expected the first twist but that's mainly cause Kasumi should be the real main character in the show if they wanted an over powered character that can over come anything with a smile on their face as the lead :V Still I enjoyed it, also like what they're doing with the 'advanced' ninpous, I just wish they didn't take so long to say the attack names. And as always, really loving the monster designs.

... They, are really, sticking to their guns that Takaharu's greatest, but also ONLY, fear is bellpepers aren't they? ... It gonna turn out that he had to hide in a pile of bellpepers as he watched his mom die or something? Or when everyone split up and Taka was the only one to actually train as a ninja, did he seal himself away in a ninja bubble and is actually still a 10 year old!? Never mind me never understanding a dislike of bell pepers.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yup, red bell pepper. Totally didn't think about the fact that red pepper could be interpreted as chili peppers.

Return to “Shuriken Sentai Ninninger”