Ninninger 24 sanjou!

Nin nin de gozaru!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Toqger | Ninninger | Jyuohger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ninninger 24 sanjou!

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ninninger_Shinobi_no_24

Whelp, we're back to Takaharu saving the day again, eh? Remember how nice it was last week. Sigh.

Alright, bad stuff first. It seemed like this would be a Fuuka character focused. Instead, the writer has just found a completely new way of getting rid of characters who aren't Takaharu. The episode basically shows us that if one of the characters just died off, they would be perfectly fine.

Look, Kento, baby. I love these characters you've written, I really do. But let's meet over lunch? I want to discuss what Sentai means. You know, I can do it here actually. It's sort of like oden. It's more than just the god damn egg.

You have to make the characters valuable. Show that they contribute. Instead, you make Fuuka do nothing. Yakumo and Kinji are disabled. And Nagi and Kasumi are beaten back until Takaharu comes to save all of them. Yes, you've written an episode where no one but Yakumo is needed. Kasumi and Nagi didn't even help by figuring out the mirror trick. Takaharu did that! God damn it, that's so frustrating that I have to point out that would have made more sense for Takaharu NOT to have figured it out.

Alright, but other than that, it's not that annoying of an episode. I actually rather liked a lot of the gags that happen. Like the small cockpit for Kinji and Yakumo. Nagi almost calling Kasumi the secret boss again. The late rollcall without Fuuka. There's a lot of amazing continuity in this series thanks to Kento writing every script. But at the same time, it's still 90% gags, 7% story, and 3% characters.

I genuinely don't think Shimoyama Kento knows how to write a character focused episode. Just... write a story about a character (who isn't Takaharu) trying to overcome something. Have them struggle with it. Give them some flash of insight, then have that character save the other Ninningers without having Takaharu step in to finish the job. That's what I want.

Still loving Nagi and Fuuka as the show's platonic couple.

I forgot how great Shinobimaru is. He's so fast and mobile. And it was pretty funny when he bumped into the out-of-comission Bison King.

I also finally figured out why they keep mentioning Toto 東都. (I think they did it in Drive as well?) That's the old name for Tokyo.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Ninninger 24 sanjou!

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

The end of the episode, with the mecha fight scene makes me sad 'cause there's so much potential there. And no, I'm not talking about removing Taka-chan, just.. here, I'll quote myself from earlier:
Was doing some thinking about Ninninger 24 and y'know, I think it would've been more impactful if that's what caused the whole "Ninja who don't hide" bit.
For context: the scene goes that Franken wants to know who the "beings who defeated a Western Youkai" are and the Ninningers respond by doing a roll call declaring themselves and all that. I know it won't but it sorta came off as what other shows would use as a turning point. What I'm getting at is that make this arc what causes the team to realize "Oh sh't, this really is kinda bad" and they can't be secretive anymore, they need to get out there and fight on the front lines.

You could even have Grandpa someone who's only for them being orthodox ninja and drama ensues~
Make the lineage thing important, that they have to find their own way in order to come out on top at the end. I'unno, I might just be rambling now but, I think that might really work out better than what we might get.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Full disclosure: there were moments in this episode, like Franken’s sightseeing tour and the way Kasumi filled in for Fuuka in summoning the mecha and in the roll call, that made me laugh. But in the bigger scheme of things, this episode made me sad. It was another example of where Ninninger takes a recurring sentai trope - one of the team members can’t make it to the battle - and somehow twists it to come across the opposite of what sentai usually stands for. Usually in episodes like this, the team struggles to fill in for their missing teammate, or comes to realize how important their missing teammate is to making the group stronger as a whole. As much as I love Kasumi, the ease at which she was able to cover for Fuuka really destroyed that cooperation/team-like message. If I want to watch a story about one hero getting the occasional support from others, I can (and do) watch Kamen Rider and Ultraman.

I think another factor that contributed to my problem with this episode was the rationale (or lack thereof) for why Fuuka had to have a day without ninja stuff. Not that I think Takaharu needs any more focus, but if Tsumuji wanted to have a family outing, why exactly was he so focused on spending time with Fuuka and not both of his children? Actually, the more I think about it, this episode could have been so much more fun if it was Nagi, Kasumi, Yakumo, and Kinji trying to pull the wool over the eyes of both Takaharu and Fuuka.

At least it looks like Takaharu finally learned that they should turn to Kasumi if they need to trick someone.

I saw someone post elsewhere about how similar Franken’s attack looks like Mach’s attack effect, and they’re right. It even flashes the word “Stop” when it hits its target.

That last battle really hurt my ears. The main theme song did not blend well with all the sound effects/jingles for the combination sequences.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Aaaaaaaand we're right back where we were two weeks ago. *sigh* It was a nice break to actually have a decent episode for once.

This episode takes what should be a Fuuka-centered episode and turns it around to make it a Fuuka-is-useless episode. There's no struggle against the Yokai without Fuuka. Hell, if anything, it actually goes faster, and this is including their handicap of having to be quiet so she won't hear them. Fuuka does nothing. Worse than that, she passively hinders the team because they think they have to do it without her. And why? So Dad can get some together-time with her. All she's done are things she wants to do, not things to do with her dad. He even has to bribe her to stay with him because she suddenly got really bitchy about being with the others.

There are interesting characters here, they just constantly make decisions that are contrary to their personalities in order to further some kind of bullshit plot device. It's irritating and frustrating and honestly, I'd rather watch Goseiger at this point. At least there they acted LIKE A GODDAMN SENTAI.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

I do wonder if Fuuka's absence was because the actress had to film a lot of scenes for #25 while this one was going on.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Blarg.

I think everyone hit the high points already. What we have here is yet another Takaharu episode, which after this long is just boring. Though I'm starting to think Kyuuemon is going to wear out her welcome pretty soon with the Kibaoni army. Not following Ariake no Kata's orders cannot be good for your health.

Meanwhile, do we need to be concerned about Nagi creeping on Fuuka? The goal was to show how detail-oriented he was, but how quickly he put together a guide all about Fuuka is a little bit disturbing, bordering on stalkerish.:o

On the plus side, the others wanting to allow Fuuka to have a fun day is endearing, even if the plot goes overboard with the concept. And hearing Yogostein's voice actor (Yanada Kiyoyuki) voicing another bulky machine brings a smile to my face.:)

Oh, and what's with this summer break stuff? Clearly it's meant to tie in to the movie. Has Ninninger just taken a 3 week break on it's primary plot?
Go-On Macaroni wrote:I do wonder if Fuuka's absence was because the actress had to film a lot of scenes for #25 while this one was going on.
I'm wondering the same thing myself. Though she appears in just as many scenes/locations untransformed as the others do. So while the other characters get more screen time, their respective actors aren't being used much more than Fuuka's is. The only real difference is the amount of ADR required this episode.
Weather
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite Actor?: Tomoyuki Dan
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Post by Weather »

Was i the only one, picturing in head, a little girl, trying to wake up the corpse of her mother, crying and screaming all the time, that they need to run?....Seriously, i was screaming "PEOPLE ARE DOING YOU IDIOTS" throuout most of episode >.>

Frank was saving it a lil for me, with him acting like a nerdy tourist. Sadly, there wasn't enough of him for me, even with Kyuuemon and Ariake bickering.

It's nic eto see that we haven't gone anywhere with Fuuka since episode 1, then she was useless, and now she was useless to them despite going against mahcine stopping greta western youkai. Oh, and Takaharu awesomeness can stop the stop light of Franken, yeah yeah, i had enough of Taka D being shoved down my throat....Good advice to everyone, stop expecting soemthing great out of plot twist, it will definitely involve Takaharu in some way.

Most of ep skipped cos, boring as hell, wonder when we'll get an ep, with parents of one ninger coming to visit, and they would have to hide that fact.....Wish i could just throw this series away, but i love super sentai too much, i love toku too much, i need to watch and if it continues like this, bash this entire series with everything i have... It's ok.. they'll start showing new sentai team soon enough.....
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I think it's completely obvious that out of the entire team, Fuuka really doesn't give two craps about being a ninja especially the Last Ninja. So by that logic, she wouldn't care much about really getting better at being a ninja. As I was watching this episode, I came to a thought on what they should have done with Takaharu and Fuuka. They should switch their desires of being a ninja around. Make Takaharu the one who doesn't care really about being a ninja but has the natural talent to be the Last Ninja while Fuuka should be the one who has the desire to be Last Ninja but doesn't have the natural talent for it. Basically you could do an arc where Takaharu helps Fuuka with her ninja skills while she begins to apply her desires a little bit to Takaharu.

Kinji and Yakumo, the new bromance.
RoxasXIII
Infinity

Post by RoxasXIII »

betting on possibility that werewolf youkai is the one who killed Kinji family
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

This episode did a lot for me. As in, it made me want to do things other than watch the episode. :lol: After seeing the nice amusement park without bratty kids vomiting everywhere, then seeing all the touristy stuff, I kind of want to go visit now.

What I really want to do, and this is some hardcore OCD showing itself here, is go explain to the camera crews that the black visors on the Ninninger helmets are incredibly reflective, exactly the same phenomenon that happened in Goseiger. The visors on the pink and yellow helmets are not only mirror-polished, but they are flat, and they keep reflecting the effing crew in the visors!!! AAAHHHHHHHH :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: This episode had two facedesk-worthy moments: The first, when Kasumi switched out a shuriken and we could actually see that the suit actor was not only standing on a box or ledge of some kind, but there was some crew member actually passing her the next shuriken.... I won't claim to have made TV shows before, but, for starters, they could have simply taped or velcro'd the second one to her suit. Instead, we get an amazing look behind the scenes...or in front of the scenes. The second was in Super-Duper-Megashuriken-Lionman when you can clearly see the edge of the set walls in Nagi's visor. ALSO, you can clearly see that there's nobody else on the set that he's looking at. A scene without Takaharu!! Here, look for yourself:

So, to answer the most pressing question of all: Yes, I was so bored with the episode that I actually became more interested in the errors visible in the helmet visors. Also, Kasumi further cemented herself as the team's MVP by being able to do multiple roll calls.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

If you want to add to the list of photography goofs, you can also count the scenes where the civilians are supposed to be sideways on the stopped rides. It's just the camera turned 90 degrees; their hair is hanging straight down.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

wow. seeing such epic fails on the crew is really disappointing. shows a real lack of devotion to the craft.

sucker bet on werewolf and Kinji.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Sinkuu wrote:wow. seeing such epic fails on the crew is really disappointing. shows a real lack of devotion to the craft.
Just because errors like this happen doesn't mean the staff doesn't care. Stuff just happens~
ViRGE wrote:I'm wondering the same thing myself. Though she appears in just as many scenes/locations untransformed as the others do. So while the other characters get more screen time, their respective actors aren't being used much more than Fuuka's is. The only real difference is the amount of ADR required this episode.
Ah, I see; didn't know that.
Jetman
Infinity

Post by Jetman »

Go-On Macaroni wrote:
Sinkuu wrote:wow. seeing such epic fails on the crew is really disappointing. shows a real lack of devotion to the craft.
Just because errors like this happen doesn't mean the staff doesn't care. Stuff just happens~

Yeah really, chill out. Nobody's going to notice that unless they're looking for it.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

Jetman wrote:Yeah really, chill out. Nobody's going to notice that unless they're looking for it.
Exactly. I was making the most roundabout way of saying "This is how bored I got. I noticed that there was a crewman handing out shurikens." It happens more than you'd think with the Sentai series since the visors are so well made these days. Go back and watch Kyoryuger and you'll see it a LOT.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger

Return to “Shuriken Sentai Ninninger”