Ninninger 46 sanjou!

Nin nin de gozaru!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Toqger | Ninninger | Jyuohger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:27 am

☆☆☆☆☆
25%
☆☆☆☆
10%
☆☆☆
20%
☆☆
10%
35%

Total votes: 20
JujinSan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japan
Quote: Whats done is done and cannot be undone

Re: Ninninger 46 sanjou!

Post by JujinSan »

I have to agree with takenoko. this episode was a mountain of moronic melodrama. Gramps comments about the team point out just how badly written the "team" is. Nagi and Fuuka are kind ninjas that did little to nothing. Kinji being a fine pupil makes no sense what so ever. I dont even know what to make of Takanimrod. It just makes Gramps "death" feel very empty.
Aka no Kenshi! MakaiRed! Kenpo Sentai Makaiger!
Jetman
Infinity

Post by Jetman »

I didn't think it was one star bad, but yeah, this was pretty underwhelming in a very Ninninger sort of way and I agree with everything else takenoko said about it. Yoshitaka giving his speech over shots of Ninningers taking down bad guys should have been thrilling, but just wasn't because aside from Kinji we didn't actually get to SEE that character development and team building he was describing. Which about sums up what's wrong with this show.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

You know it's bad when they have to pull team and individual clips from the early 20s episodes. Because it's just Takaharu most of the time.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Unlike Takenoko I'm not in any way angry about this episode. It was perfectly serviceable in a Sentai paint-by-number kind of way, and they hit all the requisite high points and low points along the way. But that's it; it wasn't great or even good, it was just serviceable. The production crew completed an episode and didn't commit any terrible sins such as out of character moments or bad cinematography.

Otherwise this episode reflects the rest of the series as a whole. When it wasn't being genuinely terrible, most episodes were mediocre and fell flat, just like this one. Case in point, Troll-Grandpa died. The viewer is supposed to feel sad for the remaining characters. But he's been a pain in the butt all season and a terrible mentor. He doubted and berated his grandkids right up to the end, lied pretty much constantly, and was a genuinely poor father. He essentially had to die to become a good person and truly talk to his son and grandkids (and even then there's an element of "you screwed up, here's a pep-talk so that you don't do it again"). I don't know if there's maybe some kind of Japanese generational cultural subtext I'm missing, but the end result is that it's hard to get worked up over his passing.

But hey, at least the fight choreography was well done like usual. Personally this is the point where I'd like to see some over-the-top Sakamoto wire work (:P ), but otherwise the fights towards the end were all well staged.

Also, this show gets a lot of mileage out of its MOTW costumes. The clock cat has been used what, 5 times now?
takenoko wrote:Kyuuemon's ugly upgrade
Thank you! I get that they want to demonstrate how Kyuuemon is now a greater threat, but it's just so busy, or maybe soulless?
takenoko wrote:Is it just me, or did anyone else totally forget that Yakumo was in a rivalry with Takaharu?
It's not just you. That hasn't been a plot point for what, 20 episodes?
PHurricane wrote: Grandpa really has me scratching my head. Not that he's dead - that much became obvious a while back. Whenever they talked about Kibaoni vs. Last Ninja, I assumed it was a previous Last Ninja in the Igasaki family line who sealed him away. In this episode, moreso than any other, it sounded very much like Grandpa himself was the one who sealed Kibaoni away 444 years ago and that this fight was a rematch. Does that mean that the Finishing Shuriken kept him alive that whole time, and he finally decided to start a family in the last half-century or so when he had Tsumuji, Yakumo's mom, and the unseen parents of the other Ninningers? Or is it just hyperbole and they're referring to Last Ninja as if everyone who held the title is the same person? It's very confusing.
It's not just you. I'm more confused than ever. They tried too hard to tie this show to the Sengoku era, and this is the result.

PS No new Jyuohger promo this week?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Didn't I put the promo in the commercial pack?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:Didn't I put the promo in the commercial pack?
I honestly don't watch the CMs, so thanks for the heads up. Previously the promos had all been separately encoded.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

Rifaz wrote:Just two more episodes... still not feeling anything about the show.
Just one actually...and thank God.

Show of hands: how many of us knew Gramps was dead? Right, everyone, and we all called it by episode five.

This episode literally did everything that made this series suck:

-First, they not only dropped the ball on a twist opportunity, the ball went right over their heads and (hopefully) into the Zyuohger team's hands. There were an unlimited amount of options when Kyuuemon stabbed Gramps. They could have revealed Tsumuji as the last ninja. Or that kid that fixed Lion Ha-Oh. Or that tanuki statue. WHOEVER. They could have done literally anything to twist the story into something unexpected like all Sentai before it, but no, we got the result we've been told about for 45 episodes. Yawn.

-In continuing the tradition, the throwaway ninjas deal with trash while Takaharu goes and gets the big guy. F*ck a duck.

-A plot hole was introduced: if killing the Last Ninja is how the powers are transferred, how did Kyuuemon get the Last Ninja banner if Gramps was dead already? If Gengetsu killed him in battle, wouldn't he be the Last Ninja? If Gengetsu didn't, who the hell is the actual Last Ninja?

-To make up for it's absence in the last few episodes, everyone is ON FIRE here. Good.

I'm reasy for a barn-burner next week.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Go-On Macaroni wrote:So, Gramps made a virtual memo sometime in the past, okay.. One thing: if it was before the whole show, then how'd he know Kinji would join and/or not actually kill one of the team members? If it was after he joined then.. okay; still kinda dumb though.

The other part I thought was weird was how the first memo bit had a line that went like, "So, none of you took over the Last Ninja role, huh?" then he had a portion that was claiming he could foresee that they'd become it?
So, "I'm gonna end up getting killed for ReaLZ, then I'm gonna make my grandkids and friend listen to me make them feel like even more crap but it's okay because they'll fight back anyways and I know this..... because... I'm randomly psychic"??!?

Whuh?
I imagine he updated his message through out the show.

This message is really a slap in the face of the audience. I can't really buy Gramps' change of heart here. He should have been good old Gramps that we all know and hate to the very end.
mholden020 wrote:
-A plot hole was introduced: if killing the Last Ninja is how the powers are transferred, how did Kyuuemon get the Last Ninja banner if Gramps was dead already? If Gengetsu killed him in battle, wouldn't he be the Last Ninja? If Gengetsu didn't, who the hell is the actual Last Ninja?
Kyuuemon used the same technique that he used to steal Tsumuji's ninja groove on Gramps.
takenoko wrote:Didn't I put the promo in the commercial pack?
Yes.
takenoko wrote:
Also, everything that has to do with Ariake is a problem. Are we supposed to feel bad for her because she's mourning her son? Because it seems like the writer still wants to treat her as a joke character. But at the same time, her son and husband are abusive of her? Plus she learns her husband had a son with another woman and basically gives no fucks about her feelings. I'm only glad she's dead now because of how uncomfortable she made me felt.
I felt it was weird that it wasn't Takaharu and the others that killed her son but Kyuuemon in the end. But yet she decided to go after Takaharu and the others instead of the one who really kill her son.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Kyuuemon kills Mangetsu? I remember him gloating over him, but I don't recall him striking the final blow. Anyway, it's not like she would have known that. Unless you're pointing out dramatic irony.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Kyuuemon may not have deliver the final blow to Mangetsu but he definitely could have save him if he wanted to. Ariake not knowing is another misstep of the writer because it would be better that she knew and see what she have done from knowing Mangetsu could have been saved by her husband's other kid.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

Good lord, was this episode hollow as hell. I mean, if I could physically touch this episode, i think it would sound like a hollow wooden block, because that's exactly what this finale episode was.

First off, every thing about this episode played off like a tvtropes page full of cliché's. I counted 10 before the halfway mark on the episode, and that's never good.

Also, does anyone realize how useless that Akarate demon was? (Yes I realize I'm spelling her name wrong, but I just seriously do not care a damn for her character.) Looking back over this entire series, she feels like a Daiyou knock-off, which is bad, because I prefer the one in Power Rangers Samurai to this chick. She really had no use other than to serve as a power boost, and that's it.

Kyuuemon's power up will be ultimately wasted, seeing as this show ends next episode, and that's a shame because I wanted that to have some substinance, but no, just another generic power up.

Sentai is starting to get disappointing these days. Maybe I'm just growing too old to enjoy it, but it's not even all that fun anymore.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

Phoenix512 wrote:
mholden020 wrote:-A plot hole was introduced: if killing the Last Ninja is how the powers are transferred, how did Kyuuemon get the Last Ninja banner if Gramps was dead already? If Gengetsu killed him in battle, wouldn't he be the Last Ninja? If Gengetsu didn't, who the hell is the actual Last Ninja?
Kyuuemon used the same technique that he used to steal Tsumuji's ninja groove on Gramps.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...that actually makes sense, thanks! :)
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Kyuemon: So the finishing shuriken was keeping you alive.
Me- WHAAAAT?????
Yoshitaka: I am already dead.
Me- Oh so this is what happened. But you're saying this now? We realized it like a year ago!
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

I actually enjoyed this episode. Not too fond of Yoshi's second life getting terminated so suddenly, but that hologram-in-a-box brought a sense of closure. A definite plus was that the "I'm on fire" by everyone was by far not as grating as Takaharu was earlier in the show.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

Still better than Toqger. No other Sentai show has made me hate every single character. At least Ninninger has characters I like and can care about. Yes, Takaharu gets more attention than the others - not all that unheard of in Sentai. Go-Busters, Gekiranger and Magiranger all tended to have more focus on their Red. Some shows do, some don't. it happens. But at least Kinji's story was interesting. I genuinely care about Yakumo finishing his training as a wizard and Kasumi's efforts in college. I like that Nagi refuses to ever give up and is constantly pushing the boundaries of what he can do (arguably putting more actual effort into his studies than anyone else). Fuuka (aside from being absolutely adorable) is the glue that binds them together, reminds them of who they are and what they're fighting for, and I always enjoy seeing that sort of character. She's not the best fighter, but she's far from useless - which is more than I can say for Yoko from Go-Busters or Mio and Kagura from Toqger. Overall, this has been an immensely enjoyable series for me. Perfect? No; it had problems, as all shows do (except Ohranger...I think that was as close to perfection as you could get), but it's been a heck of a ride and I'm very much looking forward to Zyuohger.

Return to “Shuriken Sentai Ninninger”