Ninninger 47 (Finale) sanjou!

Nin nin de gozaru!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Toqger | Ninninger | Jyuohger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:05 am

☆☆☆☆☆
21%
☆☆☆☆
16%
☆☆☆
37%
☆☆
5%
21%

Total votes: 19
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ninninger 47 (Finale) sanjou!

Post by takenoko »

<Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Last week's rating: 2.56 / 5 (18 votes)

For a Ninninger episode, it was above average. It was pretty great to see the teammates show up to save Takaharu.

They defeat Kyuuemon rather easily (and get their powers back pretty quick too). So that was boring. I liked the bit with Kyuuemon having a bit of a redemption arc, but let's not forget that he was the one who finished Grandpa off. An eye for an eye leaves the world blind, but that doesn't mean you have to forgive the guy who killed your grandpa either. But still, a green Nin Shuriken? No kanji on it. But hey, at least we know why Kyuuemon wore green in the flashbacks.

But we won't get to see what that's about, because Gengetsu comes in and ruins it. Wait, maybe Kyuuemon will help from the inside to defeat Gengetsu... or not. I guess Kyuuemon just gets pooped out for a few lines before he dies. Seeing him reach for Grandpa was a nice touch, but I wish it was built up better.

And with that... they used the Finishing Shuriken to fix everything and made it disappear? I guess that was supposed to be a big deal? i guess we can't go through the finale without me questioning Takaharu one last time. Does someone want to explain to me why the Finishing Shuriken needed to be destroyed?

Then our heartfelt goodbyes. It's pretty hard to screw this up, so this was okay.

What I do think is awesome is that they remembered Fuuka's actress bit from episode 25. And even better yet, if you look at the sign. It says Team Izumi (as in Izumi Kagura from Toqger) I guess she didn't take over the family business because she's directing the sequel to the movie she made in Toqger 38, Police Reporter Pescatore 2:
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/TQG_Station_38
What an amazing callback!

And that's that. So Shimoyama wrote 41 of the stories for Ninninger (this includes specials and movies). I don't know if he's writing Ninninger Returns, but god I hope not. I'm sorry to say this, but I could really use a break from that guy. Which is too bad, since the Return movie is perfect venue for his comedic, one-off kind of stories.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Re: Ninninger 47 (Finale) sanjou!

Post by xiiliea »

I'm amazed that all of them can do backflips, or else it was really super flawless editing (Yakumo seems to be confirmed to be able to do it, in his scene before the OP).

Also, I'm disappointed in the scene just before the OP. http://gfycat.com/AdmirableForkedIndianrhinoceros It was so poorly acted out. Kyuuemon swung his sword faster than Takaharu from mid-level, while Takaharu was swinging his sword from the top, but Takaharu was slower. However, Kyuuemon stopped his slash halfway for a moment, before he changed direction to block Takaharu's slash.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

The biggest positive of the episode: the series is over.

Second biggest positive: that was a neat final roll call. Regardless of my opinion on the series, the cast spent over a year working on this show, and it’s a rite of passage to have an impressive suitless/helmetless roll call. Nice to see that tradition upheld.

I don’t think there’s anything else I can say that’s remotely positive. Gengetsu was a joke, taken out with one hit and screaming about how he’ll be back. The fight against Kyuuemon was better, and all they did there was knock Kyuuemon back to his regular fox-form.

Oh, Kyuuemon. What in the world were the writers thinking? There was no foreshadowing that Grandpa had these lofty hopes for Kyuuemon and Tsumuji back when they were his pupils, and even less foreshadowing that Kyuuemon deserved any type of redemption. I just finished writing yesterday in the “Ninninger problems” thread about how Kyuuemon was the only consistent villain the series had...and they give him a twelfth hour redemption moment? I can't even call it a redemption arc, because it ended about two minutes after it was introduced.

I guess the point of making the Ninningers family was to contrast with the screwed up Kibaoni family. Would have been nice if the audience had some reason to make the comparison before half-way through the finale. Kind of like it would have been nice to meet Takaharu and Fuuka’s mom before a V-cinema.

Speaking of pulling something out of nowhere, what was with Kinji doing an impression of Genta with an oden cart in Europe? Even Fuuka’s idol thing has some basis in a previous episode, even if it was never touched upon since that one episode. Although that’s a very neat fact about the audition being a callback to a ToQger episode. Not something I would have guessed. I wouldn't mind if it becomes a new Kyouryuu-ya type running gag.

Farewell, Ninninger. You (and the audience) deserved better.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

PHurricane wrote:The biggest positive of the episode: the series is over.
I really don't want that to be the biggest positive of the final episode. But Kyuuemon got a redemption moment? What the hell? :?:
Second biggest positive: that was a neat final roll call. Regardless of my opinion on the series, the cast spent over a year working on this show, and it’s a rite of passage to have an impressive suitless/helmetless roll call. Nice to see that tradition upheld.
Personally I would have preferred a slightly more traditional call with less CGI and green screening. I really like the helmetless roll calls, but it breaks the illusion somewhat if you never actually get to see the the actors outside doing it. Though I guess I shouldn't complain too much, as we got a completely untransformed roll call earlier in the season.
I guess the point of making the Ninningers family was to contrast with the screwed up Kibaoni family. Would have been nice if the audience had some reason to make the comparison before half-way through the finale.
Heck, I didn't even realize that until you said something now. None of the Igasakis killed each other, though damn if Troll Grandpa didn't try to get himself and Takaharu impaled.

Anyhow, we're done. Moving on to Minecraftohger.

On a positive note, thank you to Takanoko, Xiiliea, DaVinci, and the rest of the crew responsible for capping and subbing another season of Sentai. Even though it wasn't a great season to work from, I appreciate the hard work you guys do. :)
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

it's astounding. even the "where are they now" bit was a bit of a chore to get through.

I remember saying back when the theme song was first revealed that, even if the season wasn't good, I'd at least watch each week for the song, and it was close to me not even being willing to do that.

this series had so much potential, and just awful execution. I wish we could've used the finishing shuriken to wish for a world where this series had better writing.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

I still say defeating Kyuuemon is better than Gengetsu.
ViRGE wrote:On a positive note, thank you to Takanoko, Xiiliea, DaVinci, and the rest of the crew responsible for capping and subbing another season of Sentai. Even though it wasn't a great season to work from, I appreciate the hard work you guys do. :)
NP, virge. And please look forward to the new typeset works on Jyuohger. :)))

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Thanks for reading the credits and the good thoughts in general, Virge, lol!
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

First, a big thank you to the entire TV Nihon crew for their work on this series all year. We bashed the living shit out of it week after week, and the fact that they all subbed an episode every week just for the inevitable "omg wtf was that" comments should be applauded.

Onto the episode: I will wear the hypocrite hat for the week. After about 17 weeks of straight 1 and 2-star votes, I handed this one a 5.

Not because it was an episode I got pulled into and found very heavy with good material, God no. Gengetsu was a bit of a joke. During that mecha fight, and i'm not making this up, I answered a text and missed half the fight. I looked up at the screen, realized he was sparking (international sign for death, as we know), and wondered how did he get that way. I then noticed only about 40 seconds had passed, figured it wasn't important, and moved on. Kyuuemon's end was a bit tragic, I guess. It was a bit Darth Vader-esque, maybe too much for my taste. Dude was good, feels he was betrayed, goes to the "dark", gets mad, gets ROFLSTOMP'd by the new good dudes, realizes the error, gets redeemed. At least something in this series got an unexpected twist.

I gave it a 5-star because that was about as good as they could have possibly ended the series without making it extremely confusing by adding crap in. There was no fluff, everything just ended, and that's how a finale should be. Plus, I'm a huge advocate for the helmet-less roll call, and I personally thought the Toqger version could not be topped, but I might be mistaken. That was pretty brilliant, even gave me goosebumps...I'm not ashamed to say that. They took down the baddies, they fixed the problem in the world, and they moved on. The end.

Will I miss it? No, probably not, and it'll easily fall at the bottom of my favorites list, but now it's on to something else. Hopefully it'll be a bit more enjoyable.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Rifaz »

Thank you for completing this series.

I was kinda impressed with that role call, one thing I looked forward to each Sentai finale.

The final battle, disappointing.

The epilogue, well, I don't know why but I always cringed when they bring foreigners into the scenes.
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I was having the same reaction as Kyuuemon when Takaharu was sprouting his BS about Gramps's true intentions with Kyuuemon all those years ago. I refused to believe those words. They are still doing the whole thing that Gramps is actually a good guy even though deep inside is a pathetic excuse of a grandfather, father, and teacher. Kyuuemon shouldn't have gotten a redemption. It makes no sense. Just let them be.

Also the idiocy of Takaharu has infected Kasumi. Why the writers decided to make her say his stupid catchphrases now? I really hope that Nin VS TOQ really makes Takaharu for good.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

im looking forward to the v-cinema.
and kyuuemon summed up how everyone has felt all year.
but when exactly did takaharu have time to put a band aid on? and theyll be their own last ninja, but we saw that coming. and yes i knew it! kyuuemon COULD have been a member! and it was a GREEN shuriken! my name sake could have happened! now ... i must write a fan fiction!

i feel kind meh about the ending, but am also super excited for jyuohger too!
Spoiler
Shipuujin
Infinity
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Shipuujin »

This episode was overall, very great. Kyuuemon had a tragic ending, and Takaharu keeps his Shuuriken. I honestly suspect we might see Kyuuemon become the Green Ninninger in a future movie somehow.
Kyuuemon's admiration of Grandpa makes sense, he did actually try to surpass Grandpa after all.

The Gengetsu battle, with all this suspense leading up to him... was awkwardly anti-climatic. He was fought off very easily. It would have made more sense if they couldn't use Gekiatsu, since that was easily their strongest Mecha. If they used the default one, their power up would have been more "last resort" type of thing.

The farewell scenes were great. Each pursue their own future and walk their own path. Kind of wonder what Tsumuji would be doing though.

As a series, the beginning was great, I was looking forward to seeing this through. As the series went on though, my expectations heavily faltered. Luckily, this series ended up at a great finale.

Let's hope Jyuohger ends up better
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

This series should have been longer because the ending came too quickly. I found this series to be decent from the start because of the unconventional ninjutsu with the shurikens and the magical shit thrown in. I would rather watch Kyoryuger every waking moment than Ninninger.
Zychotic
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Inoue Masahiro
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Zychotic »

Question, did Gengetsu actually achieve anything in this series? He was revived....built a castle, fought the Last Ninja, fought the 3 Akaninger Ninninger team, fought the Ninningers in giant form and was destroyed. However I don't recall him achieving anything in those fights. Kyuuemon defeated the Last Ninja and took the Finishing Shuriken. He also activated it to destroy the world and came close to defeating the Ninningers. Honestly, he could have done that even if Gengetsu wasn't revived. This is why I don't like the plots where they introduce/revive the "final boss" right at the end of the series. They just don't feel like they're the main enemy. For this season, it was easily Kyuuemon because he did so much work. Another comparison would be Enter who did all the work, and Messiah only appeared twice to be defeated both times. Enter and Kyuuemon were easily better villains than Messiah and Gengetsu.

On another point, they missed out on making Kyuuemon's "redemption" actually count. Once that green shuriken appeared, he should have used it to become Midoninger and help fight Gengetsu (and maybe even sacrifice himself to save the world). That would have been a great redemption.

Spoiler
For anyone who has seen info on the Ninninger Returns. They introduce Midoninger as a female character (played by Kyuuemon's voice actor). The only way this could ever be Kyuuemon is if he somehow revived as a female. Hence I'm just thinking this is some random fun thing they do in the Returns movies and Midoninger has no connection to Kyuuemon. Yup, let's waste the Midoninger shuriken on some random character we'll introduce in our comedic Returns film.
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki

Post by Jehal »

When this series was announced, I was excited. I thought it was going to be great.
instead of watching it weekly as it aired, though, I wanted to wait for it to finish so I could watch it at my own pace, and spend that time watching other things.
Based on the reviews everyone has given, I'm glad I didn't waste a year on this. Takaharu sounds like he's not only a bad character, but also has a bad actor to make it even worse. I don't think I read anyone saying that the mentor, the Grandpa, actually did anything significant or helpful. I'm not even sure that there was any sort of over-arcing story to all of this. People mentioned collecting shurikens, and Kyuuemon, but that's about it.
Here's hoping Jyuohger will be something worth watching.
Completed Series

Rider: From Kuuga to Drive, and Ex-Aid to Zi-O
Next Up: Ghost

Sentai: Zyuranger, Kakuranger, From Dekaranger to ToQGer, and Kyuuranger to Ryusoulger
Next Up: Ninninger

Return to “Shuriken Sentai Ninninger”