Ninninger VS Toqger released

Nin nin de gozaru!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Toqger | Ninninger | Jyuohger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ninninger VS Toqger released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Shuriken_S ... Wonderland

Short version: Toqger saves the day again!

Long version:
I don't know what happened. I was baffled. I checked the credits and saw it was the Ninninger writer and a Ninninger director. I continued watching. Nope, it's still a good movie. Apparently the Toqgers are the secret ingredient to making me care about a Sentai movie. The music, the characters, the story. Maybe the secret is to just let the Ninningers be the supporting cast in their own story? I don't know what they did, but it worked.

To be fair, the Toqgers bring a lot of needed heart, character, fun, and Sentaism to the mix. Takaharu was at the center of the story without being THE CENTER of the story. Plus the music and strong Toqger personalities really shine a light at what's lacking in Ninninger.

Maybe Shimoyama Kento isn't the bad writer that I think he is. When given a year to stretch out his work, he pads it with jokes and catchphrases. I definitely liked him before he did Ninninger, so I suspect he's just a stronger writer when given a work that has a smaller scope. The jokes work for me, and they're not overdone. I think Takaharu only did a "I'm on fire!" once in the whole damn thing.

Loved Tokacchi adjusting his glasses, the click leading into the logo of the two teams appearing.

Is it weird that this felt like a more ninja appropriate movie than the rest of the series? I have to compare it to Shinkenger again, but they got the feeling of samurais right even if they had very little to do with traditional samurai. Ninninger never quite does that with ninjas, but you can kind of catch a glimpse of it with the legendary ninjas. I've got to say, I love a chain and sickle.

The fight between Rokugou and the doctor seemed really cinematic to me. Something about the camera work was really good.

I have to complain again about the non-credited opening. The black border is there again! I'll try editing it out and disguising it (the last scene expands to fill the screen), but what a lot of unnecessary work that Toei could have taken care of on their side.

Sad that this will be the last Toqger work that we'll get. I think a year away from them and with something unfavorable to contrast them with really shows how great Toqger was.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Re: Ninninger VS Toqger released

Post by xiiliea »

I just wanna point out that Ha-Oh TOQ Dai-Oh didn't even move an inch.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

You know, I never figured out what Marbro's name is supposed to reference. If it's another word for black or darkness in some foreign language, I haven't figured it out.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

No lie - I cringed when I saw that the subs were ready for this movie. I was openly critical of Ninninger, and even the Returns movie for ToQger had me more neutral than positive toward their series. But I fully agree - this was one of the best sentai movies I’ve seen in a long time. I needed to edit the notes I took during the movie, because otherwise I would have had an even longer essay about everything I enjoyed.

I feel like the ToQgers were distilled down to their best parts - Hikari being dramatically logical (loved his dream entrance), Mio was mother henning everyone...but mostly Tokacchi, Tokacchi was the adorkable wreck I loved, Kagura was her sweet self, and Right was surprisingly self-aware about how similar his personality was to Takaharu. And Akira. It took so long for him to show up, but it was worth it. The way he stumbled over his old catchphrase before changing it up might be my favorite moment in the movie, and his fight choreography was some of the best.

On the Ninnin side, eh...they weren’t annoying? That sounds worse than I intended, because I really did enjoy the whole movie. They did feel more like supporting characters, which may be why they didn’t get a chance to bother me. I think I caught 2, maybe 3 “I’m on fire!”s, but even that couldn’t detract from my enjoyment. I even appreciated the scene after Takaharu "died", and Grandpa and the rest of the team encouraged him to imagine himself surviving.

The opening dream sequences reminded me a lot of the world hopping in the Shinkenger Returns V-cinema, especially the concert and spy “stations”. It took me a minute to figure out what “No Wave” had to do with Nagi’s name, but I eventually figured out it was a reference to “calm” waters. Very clever! I was also amused that they took advantaged of the actor's singing skills by having Kinji cover the ending song.

The humor was really great. Some of my other favorite moments:
-Tokacchi’s recap of ToQger, especially funny since the only thing he actually explained in words is that Ticket was stuck on Conductor’s hand.
-I couldn’t believe they had a banana peel be the reason Takaharu didn’t make it off the train. As groan-worthy as it is, I give them credit for subtly setting the joke up by showing Fuuka eating the banana multiple times.
-Poor Nero...the other generals finally participate in a roll call of sorts, and his still ends up the butt of a joke. Also, I appreciated his use of typical sentai logic, where a monster finds the crossdresser the most attractive.
-Kagura causing more harm than help to Akira right before the big battle, and Right screwing up the villain’s name.
-The interactions and visual gags in the ending dance sequence.
-Akira quibbling with the name of the group mecha combo.

Speaking of...the combined mecha might not have moved, but I thought the final attack was very unique and was a better use of the mechas than in either series finale. I was a bit disappointed there wasn’t a direct mention of Kasumi’s mecha being a train, but that moment between Kasumi and Akira at the end sort of made up for it.

I forgot that the Zyuohgers would have a cameo. I loved Amu’s careful analysis of whether the Youkai was a bad guy or not...and then they don’t bother to figure out anything more than that. Great action, as I’ve come to expect from that series, with neat individual and group attacks. I hope we get to see them in the series.

The movie ended on a sweet note for both teams, with the Ninningers having their family moment and the ToQger kids getting a cameo. It was very brief, but considering those kids are at the age when they’re growing quickly, I like that they included them.

Oh, and “mavro” is supposedly Greek for “black”, so yeah, just something to fit the Shadow Line naming scheme.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

Ah, Toqger humor. Gotta love Akira's quib about the name of the combined mecha. The presence of Toqger really highlights how much of a missed opportunity Ninninger was...
Zychotic
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Inoue Masahiro
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Zychotic »

Seeing the Toqger's again made me happy, seeing Ninninger, not so much. This was definitely a good movie because of Toqger. The Jyuohger cameo was pretty sweet. For just once, I'd like the Sentai cameo to have the actual actors appear out of suit like what's been done for Kamen Rider (OOOs/Fourze/Gaim).

I felt like Right's actor appeared only for a bit and it was more of a Hikari-led team instead. I'm totally fine with that, Hikari was awesome in Toqger. I would have liked to see more of Akira but I'll admit, when I heard that harmonica sound and then his theme played, that made me pretty happy/excited.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I bet that it's harder to gather the five actors for the next Sentai in one place, since it's probably before they started filming for Jyuohger. I always get the impression that they film the Versus in late summer/early fall and the start of the new Sentai in last fall/early winter.
dryedmangoez
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by dryedmangoez »

That was great. Much better than the last few vs movies. A more cohesive story that touched on things from both seasons. And of course, awesome seeing the Toqgers again AND hearing some of the beautiful music from the season again too.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm not quite as over the moon with this movie as the rest of you,

it would seem. It was a decent movie, and I think everyone is right in calling out the fact that it's the ToQgers that make it good. However making Takaharu the center of the movie just makes the emotional connection very hard. The family story was legitimately well written, so it's a shame that the character it's centered around is so unpleasant.

On the plus side, we got to see the Shadow Line villain suits again. I will continue to be bummed that PR won't adopt that series for that reason alone, because those suits are just so well done. On the other hand, I'm somewhat annoyed that they got a human to play the big bad for the movie, only to replace him with a suit so early. For the action scenes I totally get it, but it would have been neat to keep the actor around for a while longer.

Finally, this movie reminded me just how much I hate the Ninninger ending theme.
Zychotic wrote:The Jyuohger cameo was pretty sweet.
Is it me or did they get just a bit more screen time than the preview teams for the past vs movies? I feel like their appearance wasn't quite so here-and-gone as in years past, which is nice. And the fact that the Jyuohgers killed someone(s), yet they still don't know who that individual was, is both hilarious for obvious reasons and hilariously dark for the unstated reason. :lol:
takenoko wrote:I bet that it's harder to gather the five actors for the next Sentai in one place, since it's probably before they started filming for Jyuohger. I always get the impression that they film the Versus in late summer/early fall and the start of the new Sentai in last fall/early winter.
FWIW, agreed. I'm still impressed that the suit designs, weapons, and audio effects are all done early enough to even have these cameos.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

i enjoyed it and it was a fun movie. they were concerned about not having trains to get to dark ninja land but momoningers trainmaru could have done it? maybe?

the reaction to them being kids though!

and the red team up was a bit lacking to me because they didnt both use their highest power ups. which was a bit of a let down for me because i like seeing them go all out. but the team mecha combi didnt sit well with me. it just seemed like any mech could sit on the haoh throne.

the jyuohger cameo was pretty sweet. though i wonder if they made a running change to the direction of the show? as amu asking if they were bad guys at first seemed a bit off. but jyuohger does have silly moments so i guess its okay.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I wasn't just feeling it with this movie. It doesn't help that I didn't like either Right or Takaharu at all during the main series.

So it felt like it was more like a Toqger movie with the Ninningers than being a true VS. They quickly removed the Youkai element halfway through and then had the Jyuohgers killed the Youkai baddie for the cameo appearance.

I usually like the night time mecha fights but this one shouldn't be a night time one. I'm guessing they want to hide the ultra combination of all of the Toqger and Ninninger mecha.

So there was no Hyper Ressha at all. Also I can understand why they couldn't get the Conductor back but having no Wagon doesn't seem unreasonable. Toei has Yui Horie for a year for Precure so they can pull her away to record a few lines for Wagon.
redwhitesentai
7X
Favorite series: boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: dekaranger
Dreamy: bouken pink
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: hmm.. I'll think about it
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by redwhitesentai »

On the wedding scene, have we seen that church interior before?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

redwhitesentai wrote:On the wedding scene, have we seen that church interior before?
As best as I can recall, no.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I forgot about this earlier but how come Ninningers were able to attack Shadow Line immediately but yet Kyouryuugers had to go through much of their teamup unable to do so? Wait I know the answer. One of them is a super child and transfer it to the rest of them through via contact stupidity.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Wasn't it the same church than in Kabuto or in Gokaiger?

Return to “Shuriken Sentai Ninninger”