Garo licensed for DVD

HenshinForPie
Adventure
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:47 pm
omg are u a girl?: Yes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2ndFavoriteSeries: Kamen Rider OOO
Dreamy: Phillip (sigh)
Favorite Actor?: James MacEvoy
Favorite Band: Florence and the Mac
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Noragami
Quote: "Sometimes we all need to give in to the madness."
Nostalgia Critic-Kickassia
Type: INFJ Counselor

Garo licensed for DVD

Postby HenshinForPie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:49 pm

According to Tokusatsu Network, the first part of Garo season 1 will be out on Blu Ray on October 17th. I'm actually excited about this! What are your thoughts?

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2017/06/gar ... ls-listed/
User avatar
DaVinci030
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Posts: 2156
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:18 am
Male: Yes
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
2ndFavoriteSeries: 海賊戦隊ゴーカイジャー
Favorite Actor?: 小宮有紗
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Contact:

Re: Garo licensed for DVD

Postby DaVinci030 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:07 pm

I wonder why it's cheaper than half the price of Blu-ray Box from JPN.
Image
ImageImageImageImageImage
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Posts: 3526
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:47 pm
Male: Yes
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2ndFavoriteSeries: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Garo licensed for DVD

Postby Catastrophe » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:14 am

Japan just has phenomenal mark ups on Blu Rays across the board don't they?

If it's been licensed, I assume there is a market for it. Although with something like GARO, I assume most people that are into mainstream toku would have already watched it as it's usually one of the first fringe suggestions anyone would make.
User avatar
TorchWood
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:26 pm
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Location: Lincoln, CA

Re: Garo licensed for DVD

Postby TorchWood » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:12 pm

Hmmmm... to be technically correct, it's being released on BluRay. I don't see a DVD listing on Amazon.... yet.

Catastrophe wrote:If it's been licensed, I assume there is a market for it. Although with something like GARO, I assume most people that are into mainstream toku would have already watched it as it's usually one of the first fringe suggestions anyone would make.


I'm thinking that the Garo animation was popular enough for them to release the live series. I have pre-ordered it even though it will collect dust on the shelf like DaiRanger and the upcoming MegaRanger DVD releases due to the previous TVNihon releases. It's the principal of it all.
Gashatto! Let's Game! Meccha Game! Muccha Game! What's Your Name? I'm A Comment Writer!
User avatar
DaVinci030
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Posts: 2156
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:18 am
Male: Yes
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
2ndFavoriteSeries: 海賊戦隊ゴーカイジャー
Favorite Actor?: 小宮有紗
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Contact:

Re: Garo licensed for DVD

Postby DaVinci030 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:19 am

Sh*t. Not just Blu-ray TV collection, but the streaming site as well. https://www.hidive.com/news/2017/6/23/l ... on-hidivet

Looks like the site streams the first four episodes as of this post.

(Sadly, I can't watch it on HIDIVE since I'm in the PH. But thankfully, I managed to download all of season 1 from Blu-ray Box.)
Image
ImageImageImageImageImage
aresef
Infinity
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:44 pm
Male: Yes
Contact:

Four episodes of Garo streaming on HIDIVE, with rest of original series to follow

Postby aresef » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:27 am

https://www.hidive.com/news/2017/6/23/l ... on-hidivet

The release also goes out and says explicitly that Kraken has licensed the other movies and series, so TVN staff can do with that news what they will.
User avatar
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Posts: 1494
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:57 pm
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Contact:

Re: Garo licensed for DVD

Postby Silentwolfdog » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 am

I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand, I am excited it's coming to US but on other hand, often localization usually don't sub spoken English which iirc Garo season 1 had some. I did contact em couple months ago asking to make sure. They said they will look into it but no guarantee on their part.

For now I think I am luckier than most, since I can keep TV-Nihon's version as back up in case my fear came true.
Image
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
Image
aresef
Infinity
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:44 pm
Male: Yes
Contact:

Re: Garo licensed for DVD

Postby aresef » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:30 am

Silentwolfdog wrote:I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand, I am excited it's coming to US but on other hand, often localization usually don't sub spoken English which iirc Garo season 1 had some. I did contact em couple months ago asking to make sure. They said they will look into it but no guarantee on their part.

For now I think I am luckier than most, since I can keep TV-Nihon's version as back up in case my fear came true.


Is there even a website for Kraken Releasing? I mean, I know it's basically a label outgrowth of Sentai Filmworks, S23 and the disassembled parts of ADV, but anyway.

I'd check the Godzilla movies and such Kraken has put out, as well as the live action stuff from Sentai and Switchblade, to get an idea of what they may do. In any case, I don't think Garo proper had a whole lot of spoken English outside the OP and Kodama's moment in Garo Gaiden.

Puhleeze, do I look like their father? Come on...
User avatar
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Posts: 1494
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:57 pm
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Contact:

Re: Garo licensed for DVD

Postby Silentwolfdog » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:43 am

I contacted S23 first since Kraken Releasing is their sister company for a contact information. They ended up giving my letter to someone in Kraken Releasing. That is as far as it is and at least I tried on my part.

I just hope it all works out. If not then ah well, still gonna support em I guess, even if it turns out that way.

Also, now I wonder, what resolution will they be using? Remaster version or? Can't find information on that.
Image
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
Image
User avatar
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Posts: 6452
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:29 pm

Re: Four episodes of Garo streaming on HIDIVE, with rest of original series to follow

Postby Phoenix512 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:09 pm

aresef wrote:https://www.hidive.com/news/2017/6/23/live-action-garo-series-to-stream-exclusively-on-hidivet

The release also goes out and says explicitly that Kraken has licensed the other movies and series, so TVN staff can do with that news what they will.


Until they actually do it, the other series will still stay up. There's no reason to jump the gun.
Image
aresef
Infinity
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:44 pm
Male: Yes
Contact:

Re: Garo licensed for DVD

Postby aresef » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Silentwolfdog wrote:I contacted S23 first since Kraken Releasing is their sister company for a contact information. They ended up giving my letter to someone in Kraken Releasing. That is as far as it is and at least I tried on my part.

I just hope it all works out. If not then ah well, still gonna support em I guess, even if it turns out that way.

Also, now I wonder, what resolution will they be using? Remaster version or? Can't find information on that.


It's coming out on Bluray and only Bluray, so that, I imagine, is your answer.
User avatar
XIII
The Conspiracy
Posts: 5557
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:10 pm
Male: Yes
Favorite series: Garo
2ndFavoriteSeries: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z
Location: UK

Re: Garo licensed for DVD

Postby XIII » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:18 am

As long as its region free disks, I will give them a try.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Monkeyjb1988
7X
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:54 pm
Male: Yes
Quote: Time is the fire in which we burn.

Re: Garo licensed for DVD

Postby Monkeyjb1988 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Catastrophe wrote:Japan just has phenomenal mark ups on Blu Rays across the board don't they?


They most certainly do. That's why it's always a celebration when another Toku comes to American shores.

I'll miss TV-Nihon's subs but I applaud them for not holding onto subs for licensed shows. For those outside the US, you have my sympathies. My only advice is to invest in a multi-region DVD/Blu-Ray player, for good it can do.

I am excited they're going for Blu-Ray and hope it's as good/better than TV-Nihon's quality :)
User avatar
Digifiend
Gabu
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 10:07 am
Male: Yes
Location: Hull, UK

Re: Four episodes of Garo streaming on HIDIVE, with rest of original series to follow

Postby Digifiend » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:36 am

Phoenix512 wrote:
aresef wrote:https://www.hidive.com/news/2017/6/23/live-action-garo-series-to-stream-exclusively-on-hidivet

The release also goes out and says explicitly that Kraken has licensed the other movies and series, so TVN staff can do with that news what they will.


Until they actually do it, the other series will still stay up. There's no reason to jump the gun.
Good call. At this point, we don't know that the first release won't fail to sell, which would result in the later installments not getting released. They're taking a risk on a niche product. Only pull them once a release is announced.
RyuShinEX
Go Go!
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Garo licensed for DVD

Postby RyuShinEX » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:13 am

Am I correct to grab the 40.94 GB pack for garo season 1?

Return to “Garo Season 1”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests