Favorite Band: Florence and the Mac
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Noragami
Quote: "Sometimes we all need to give in to the madness."
Nostalgia Critic-Kickassia
Type: INFJ Counselor

Garo licensed for DVD

Post by HenshinForPie »

According to Tokusatsu Network, the first part of Garo season 1 will be out on Blu Ray on October 17th. I'm actually excited about this! What are your thoughts?

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2017/06/gar ... ls-listed/
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Instagram: DaVinci030

Re: Garo licensed for DVD

Post by DaVinci030 »

I wonder why it's cheaper than half the price of Blu-ray Box from JPN.

Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Japan just has phenomenal mark ups on Blu Rays across the board don't they?

If it's been licensed, I assume there is a market for it. Although with something like GARO, I assume most people that are into mainstream toku would have already watched it as it's usually one of the first fringe suggestions anyone would make.
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

Hmmmm... to be technically correct, it's being released on BluRay. I don't see a DVD listing on Amazon.... yet.
Catastrophe wrote:If it's been licensed, I assume there is a market for it. Although with something like GARO, I assume most people that are into mainstream toku would have already watched it as it's usually one of the first fringe suggestions anyone would make.
I'm thinking that the Garo animation was popular enough for them to release the live series. I have pre-ordered it even though it will collect dust on the shelf like DaiRanger and the upcoming MegaRanger DVD releases due to the previous TVNihon releases. It's the principal of it all.
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

Sh*t. Not just Blu-ray TV collection, but the streaming site as well. https://www.hidive.com/news/2017/6/23/l ... on-hidivet

Looks like the site streams the first four episodes as of this post.

(Sadly, I can't watch it on HIDIVE since I'm in the PH. But thankfully, I managed to download all of season 1 from Blu-ray Box.)

aresef
Go Go!

Four episodes of Garo streaming on HIDIVE, with rest of original series to follow

Post by aresef »

https://www.hidive.com/news/2017/6/23/l ... on-hidivet

The release also goes out and says explicitly that Kraken has licensed the other movies and series, so TVN staff can do with that news what they will.
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand, I am excited it's coming to US but on other hand, often localization usually don't sub spoken English which iirc Garo season 1 had some. I did contact em couple months ago asking to make sure. They said they will look into it but no guarantee on their part.

For now I think I am luckier than most, since I can keep TV-Nihon's version as back up in case my fear came true.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
aresef
Go Go!

Post by aresef »

Silentwolfdog wrote:I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand, I am excited it's coming to US but on other hand, often localization usually don't sub spoken English which iirc Garo season 1 had some. I did contact em couple months ago asking to make sure. They said they will look into it but no guarantee on their part.

For now I think I am luckier than most, since I can keep TV-Nihon's version as back up in case my fear came true.
Is there even a website for Kraken Releasing? I mean, I know it's basically a label outgrowth of Sentai Filmworks, S23 and the disassembled parts of ADV, but anyway.

I'd check the Godzilla movies and such Kraken has put out, as well as the live action stuff from Sentai and Switchblade, to get an idea of what they may do. In any case, I don't think Garo proper had a whole lot of spoken English outside the OP and Kodama's moment in Garo Gaiden.

Puhleeze, do I look like their father? Come on...
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

I contacted S23 first since Kraken Releasing is their sister company for a contact information. They ended up giving my letter to someone in Kraken Releasing. That is as far as it is and at least I tried on my part.

I just hope it all works out. If not then ah well, still gonna support em I guess, even if it turns out that way.

Also, now I wonder, what resolution will they be using? Remaster version or? Can't find information on that.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Four episodes of Garo streaming on HIDIVE, with rest of original series to follow

Post by Phoenix512 »

aresef wrote:https://www.hidive.com/news/2017/6/23/l ... on-hidivet

The release also goes out and says explicitly that Kraken has licensed the other movies and series, so TVN staff can do with that news what they will.
Until they actually do it, the other series will still stay up. There's no reason to jump the gun.
aresef
Go Go!

Post by aresef »

Silentwolfdog wrote:I contacted S23 first since Kraken Releasing is their sister company for a contact information. They ended up giving my letter to someone in Kraken Releasing. That is as far as it is and at least I tried on my part.

I just hope it all works out. If not then ah well, still gonna support em I guess, even if it turns out that way.

Also, now I wonder, what resolution will they be using? Remaster version or? Can't find information on that.
It's coming out on Bluray and only Bluray, so that, I imagine, is your answer.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

As long as its region free disks, I will give them a try.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Time is the fire in which we burn.

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

Catastrophe wrote:Japan just has phenomenal mark ups on Blu Rays across the board don't they?
They most certainly do. That's why it's always a celebration when another Toku comes to American shores.

I'll miss TV-Nihon's subs but I applaud them for not holding onto subs for licensed shows. For those outside the US, you have my sympathies. My only advice is to invest in a multi-region DVD/Blu-Ray player, for good it can do.

I am excited they're going for Blu-Ray and hope it's as good/better than TV-Nihon's quality :)
Digifiend
Gabu

Re: Four episodes of Garo streaming on HIDIVE, with rest of original series to follow

Post by Digifiend »

Phoenix512 wrote:
aresef wrote:https://www.hidive.com/news/2017/6/23/l ... on-hidivet

Until they actually do it, the other series will still stay up. There's no reason to jump the gun.
Good call. At this point, we don't know that the first release won't fail to sell, which would result in the later installments not getting released. They're taking a risk on a niche product. Only pull them once a release is announced.
RyuShinEX
Go Go!

Post by RyuShinEX »

Am I correct to grab the 40.94 GB pack for garo season 1?

Return to “Garo Season 1”