Garo Full Series and Movie Discussion

Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Garo Full Series and Movie Discussion

Post by Saejima Kouga »

There'd be no blue. It'd be Gold, Silver, White, and Black.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Post by harpdevil »

But our man wanted to be the blue one! We can't let him down.
Ok hows THIS for continuing my story. Our trainee heroes continue their battle against this new evil and discover it is in fact the watchdogs (like the 3 girls from the series) that are behind it all. The watchdogs send out an order to the Makai Knights telling them that the trainees are traitors and must be stopped. So now the Makai Knights we have seen from the first season and new ones yet to be seen fight our heroes ala Decade. Kouga joins them as the 6th ranger after fighting them and understanding the truth for himself. He can be persuaded as he is already a loner who doesn't take orders, while the other Knights continue being blind servants. This leads to an all out Makai Knight war, fighting eachother and the increasing legions of Horrors at the same time in one epic battle.
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

I don't think black would be a real color; I thought he was a gold-trainee who went bad and became black as part of going darkside. Literally a Paladin to Dark Knight conversion. Black as a main color would only make sense to me if they were using the 4 dragon kings or the 4 gods colors (roughly: black for north/water, white or gold for west/metal, blue for east/thunder or wood, red for south/fire).

Actually the whole assignment of the colors/titles is something that could have stood some explanation. They repeatedly say Kouga "earned the title of Garo" but really it just seemed he inherited the family sword and it's linked armor, which was gold. Though, by the end of the series he DEFINITELY earned everything in spades.

I was actually surprised to see the third knight be white knight in the movie. I had been thinking the progression might be like the Olympic medals and third would be bronze. They did that angle in St. Seiya. Or would there be other metals? Copper? Tin? Platinum? Electrum?

I never got a firm sense that there were only 4 either, just "this guy is assigned 'a' district west of here." In the movie, it sounded like the original sealing of the Lemures clan had many knights and makai priests in a big battle. My mental image was that anyway, thus allowing for "many knights to fall" in the battle. At the end of the series it sounded like Rei moved from West (Tokyo?) to East (Tokyo?) with Kouga moving to North, but then there's Tsubasa over in Kantai in an area that seems more like a traditional training area. And he's got two apprentices ...

Ultimately I just think midnight blue would be a good color for a longcoat that hasn't been done yet. :D I was also thinking a sabre type sword; it's not really my favorite but it is different and you could play a lunar angle on it combined with the color.
Alessar
Salami Commander

Post by Alessar »

Oh man, just when I thought this show couldn't get any cooler, I just realized who plays that evil chick near the end of the series: Kimika Yoshino, Misa Kuroi in the first and second Eko Eko Azarak movies.

I always thought Garo had a vibe that reminded me of Eko Eko at times, but I never saw that coming!
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Which one is Eko Eko Azarak Misa the Dark Angel? Was it Meshia?
Alessar
Salami Commander

Post by Alessar »

It's Garuma (name?/sp?) the combined form of the Eastern watchdogs. She's played by the Misa from Wizard of Darkness and Birth of the Wizard. (Misa the Dark Angel had a different lead actress). She's aged a bit but once I saw it pointed out, it was really clear.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Oh. I haven't got to see the other Eko Eko Azarak movies. :/

Ohwell.

So I'm trying to re-watch GARO. It'll be my third time through it. Anyone know who the doctor from episode 4 was?
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by harpdevil »

I can't find anything about it online, does it not say who he is in the credits?
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I'm not good enough at reading Japanese to know. :/ I would guess it does since he's a huge part of that ep.
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by harpdevil »

Saejima Kouga wrote:I'm not good enough at reading Japanese to know. :/ I would guess it does since he's a huge part of that ep.
Do you know anyone that can read japanese? Think hard now :P
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

-Shrug-
Alessar
Salami Commander

Post by Alessar »

Saejima Kouga wrote:Oh. I haven't got to see the other Eko Eko Azarak movies. :/

Ohwell.

So I'm trying to re-watch GARO. It'll be my third time through it. Anyone know who the doctor from episode 4 was?
Eko Eko 1 & 2 are available through Netflix. The first movie is a standalone adventure and it's more of a Dario Argento type horror film; the second is Kuroi Misa's origin and it's more of a Garo-style dark fantasy with bonus gore.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

So is 2 the best? XD
Alessar
Salami Commander

Post by Alessar »

I'm going to have to say yes, Eko Eko Azarak: Birth of the Wizard (1996) is the best one of the three I've seen.

In addition to the 6 movies, there have also been 2 TV series, one right after the two films in '97, and the 13 episode "Eko Eko Azarak: Eye" in 2004. I've always kind of hoped one day TVN would just bust out with Eye; as far as I know it's one continuing serial that's just one more story in the continuing adventures of Kuroi Misa.

Seriously, casting Yoshino as a guest villain was effing brilliant. When I was watching Garo the first time I kept thinking, "This actress they brought in here is really into this supernatural action. She's not having any trouble selling it, wire-fu-ing, or working with what's probably a greenscreen." And then later I kept thinking, "Man, they should do an Eko Eko crossover, Misa's sorcery and Kouga's sword... wait, there'd be no plot nobody could stand up to both of them at once..."
ZGMF-X20A STRIKE FREEDOM
Faiz
Favorite series: Garo/Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Kabuto/Blade
Dreamy: Takanashi Rin
Favorite Band: Too many to list
My boom: Gundam
Quote: We're not tools of the government or anyone elses. Fighting was the only thing i was good at, but at least i fought for what i believed in.-Gray Fox

Post by ZGMF-X20A STRIKE FREEDOM »

Just finished rewatching Garo....and i love every minute of it. Shame the quality seems faded badly on my HD moniter....wish they release this on Blu-Ray one day.

Episode 17 scares the shit outta me sometimes.....cause its very disturbing when that wierd psychopath computer hacker guy falls in love with a pet fish horror >__> and him kissing it too *Cringe*
We Begin The Armed Intervention with Gundam

Return to “Garo Season 1”