Garo Full Series and Movie Discussion

Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Garo Full Series and Movie Discussion

Post by Saejima Kouga »

That guy is
Spoiler
Time Fire
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
SPAWN
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by SPAWN »

very nice series. I'm not saw all episode but good series.
demino555
7X
Favorite series: Kamen rider AGITO
2nd Favorite Series: kamen rider W
Dreamy: Natsumikan
Favorite Band: J-rock
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: nasuverse
Quote: "Do you have the courage to ride with the devil?"

Post by demino555 »

I would be the steel wolf :lol: and wield mah axe-scythe halberd of doom! My spot would be the middle ground.

well GARO is one of the best series I've watched hands down. If I wasn't a kamen rider fan at heart I'd say it takes 1st place but can't. I absolutely loved the fight scenes, especially ones that involved fights between the knights. Probably my favorite part of GARO was the movie when they entered the cursed forest to fight, the one where the world's oerientation becomes tilted 90 degrees.
My power is EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME!
Alara Moonrunner
Gabu
Favorite Band: Depends on the day
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Music

Post by Alara Moonrunner »

Personally I found the 'God Hand' episode disturbing.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Was that the one with the doctor? Ep 3 I think..? If not, explain more about the episode cause I don't know which one you're referring to.
Kamen Rider Ookalf
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Kamen Rider Ookalf »

Saejima Kouga wrote:Was that the one with the doctor? Ep 3 I think..? If not, explain more about the episode cause I don't know which one you're referring to.
I think he means the one with the artist. I seem to remember the Horror in that episode talking about "the hands of God".
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

It's been a couple years or so since I've watched Garo. I remember the doctor also talking about how he could heal people and such, so I thought maybe it came from that.
Korashk
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by Korashk »

So I just tried to watch this series. I got to episode 9 and just had to quit. This show seems to be nothing but:

* Horror kills people
* Garo fights horror
* Wash,rinse, repeat

Basic MOTW with nothing else to add substance to the show. None of the characters are interesting at all, and as far as I can see there is no real plot. Sure, the action scenes are pretty good, but that's the only redeeming factor of the show from what I can see. According to this thread, it has a plot. When does that start happening?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I thought you said you quit? Time to move on to a different show.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

You mean a tokusatsu show that sticks to traditional tokusatsu format?

Shock horror.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

To clarify, I'm not making fun of the guy for finding the plot a bit thin. The story is basically a window dressing for Kouga to go kill his monster for the week. I'm just saying, if you didn't like the first nine episodes, you're probably not going to find anything different in the last 16, which is more of the same. The story is what it is. Garo is a great show, but not everyone has to like it.
Korashk
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by Korashk »

I honestly find it odd that I'm the only dissenting opinion in 16 pages of discussion.

@Catastrophe:
I know that MTOW is standard toku fare, but that doesn't mean that's all a series should be. My experience with toku may only be the first 8 or so seasons of Power Rangers (which was mostly just plotless MOTW, but I was a kid then), plus Kuuga and Agito.

As for the last two examples, they were great shows. Kuuga had a plethora of likable and well-developed characters plus a series mythos that got better developed as the show went on. Agito had the same, including an even more in-depth and compelling plot that got kick-started within the first three episodes.

I felt that Garo was missing this extra bit that would make it a compelling and enjoyable show. Not just for toku fans, but for fans of television entertainment in general.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I don't think that's weird. Other people who didn't like Garo probably didn't even bother to post. I mean, why would they post if they didn't enjoy the show? They'd just move on to the next show.
WindCross
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: Garo, Fringe, Haven
Dreamy: Kouga
Favorite Actor?: Ryosei Konishi
Favorite Band: Too many to mention
My boom: Garo
Quote: I go where the wind blows.

Post by WindCross »

Hi :D

Not new to the forum, but first time posting to this thread. Anyway, just drop by to say hi to fellow fans of the Universe of Garo, lol. Next on my list is to see "Kiba".

I must say I enjoy this show very much, especially the fighting sequences of Kouga. The actor did a great job performed the fighting scenes.

After I discovered this show, I've been searching around the Web to collect on any information regarding the serial, and I came across many interviews from the cast and crew regarding the show. Unfortunately, I can't read Japanese, and the best I could get my hands on was a translated article from one of the fans. :(

Moreover, there is something I don't understand regarding the upcoming second season of the show. It seems like they are going to show the 12 first episodes of Makaisenki at some chosen theatres in Japan before airing them on TV. :?:
HIDragonstar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Garo, Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojiro
Dreamy: Kaoru, Kotoha,Wakana
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by HIDragonstar »

I think part of his problem is that the plot thread that really affected the later part of series which made it good for all of us, was very subtle in the first half of the season. Kaoru's nightmares, her sensei, how she is gradually opening up Kouga's heart. They are really subtle for most people, one of my other friends had trouble getting into it until after Episode 11. Then the thread was more visible and they managed to see more of it.
People say that the real world isn't black or white, its shades of gray. I prefer to think its a rainbow spectrum, when any color is dark enough, its black, when any color is light enough, its white. Yet, there is a spectrum of cultures and values.

Return to “Garo Season 1”