Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Shirota Yu
Alignment: Lawful Good

Re: Garo 01 DVD

Post by Zazelle »

Woot, first time watching this show and it's really good! I like how Kouga has a cold personality. Funniest part was when he said that Kaoru was "surprsingly heavy" lol.
Electric Mistress
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by Electric Mistress »

Guys, no offense, but this is still really awful quality. For an older Rider series with a lower budget and simple designs it would be acceptable, but I don't think this is much of an improvement on the original. It's certainly less blurry but at the same time it looks grainier and the artifacts are just as jarring.

I know I have a lower level of tolerance for some, but I find it really difficult to watch this.

I don't understand why the quality is so low. This isn't DVD quality, it's sub-VHS quality. Many 480p vids on youtube are easily clearer than this. I'm guessing the problem is to do with the re-encoding, but if you have the original DVDs you should have a better source image. The file size is also too small, even for 640x480, to be of reasonable quality. Again for anime you can go pretty low, but not for this. Some of the episodes are barely over 200 megs, that might be alright for something simple and clear like anime, but Garo is dark and has a lot of detail, something encoders have a lot of issue with so you need to use the highest quality possible.

The audio encode is also a little on the low side at 128kpbs.

I wish you could just release an .ass as there are better quality raws out there and while I appreciate the work put into this it's frustrating that I have to take a hit in quality that makes it unenjoyable to watch just for some fancy text effects. There really is no reason why the quality couldn't be a little better if you're going to the effort of resubbing it. Also, if they had been .ass to begin with there would have been no effort involved. [snip]

For now I'm going to play with my Gamma settings a bit to make the most of it, but otherwise I'm just going to have to hope you rethink this stuff.
Last edited by XIII on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed section that broke the rules, please read them in future
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

It's a DVD source. If you want something higher quality, feel free to buy the DVDs yourself
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

Its called distributed bit rate across 4 episodes that come on a DVD
128kbit audio isnt low given its the rate we use for everything, oh and its very prevelent in the source material tv rips that you find out there
as for the softsub side of things, were not a softsub group, we never have been, never will be, we prefer hardsubs to make it easier on playback instead of farting around trying to get the softsubs to play, not all of us sit at their PC 24x7 watching stuff, alot of us prefer to just playback on devices other than PC's, most of which dont support softsubs.

Also for the file size of things, not everybody has unlimited internet so we have to make compromises on size.

Also Original Film to DVD transfers are not always great, so saying its DVD does not always equate to a good transfer, heck even Blu-Rays sometimes have bad transfers, it all depends how much effort the rights holders put into remastering the Original footage.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Alessar
Salami Commander
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Areku The O.F. wrote:I also noticed some translation changes (I was always confused as to why Makai was translated as "magic" in the original instead of "hell" or "netherworld" as in this one) but nothing too radical.
Funny you should mention that because I finally found an old thread where I asked about this and:
takenoko wrote:Sorta. I guess I should have double checked the kanji
I thought it was 魔界, which would mean underworld (literally demon/magic world)

Turns out the Makai used is 魔戒. This kai means guard/commandment. So it'd be magic/demon watchout/discipline. It's kind of hard to tell because it's a made up term. I'll have to watch out for that in the future. Good question!
(Link: viewtopic.php?f=216&t=7852&p=129433#p129438)

So what I understood from this is that Makai when referring to a knight is spelled to mean something like one who guards against demons; though I'd assume that the Shin Makai, the home horror dimension and other references of "makai realms" probably would be spelled to mean netherworld.
Aberration
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Dreamy: Naomi
Favorite Band: Crowded House

Post by Aberration »

Well, as I suspected, the remaster isn't true HD, but it is an improvement over the DVDs, so I'll take it.

It's fascinating watching this now, and being reminded of how weird and experimental this show felt at the beginning. The later series lose that as the setting became more fully formed, mysteries would be solved over time, and the show became cemented into a sustainable franchise. Not saying it's bad, just that the show has gained and lost some things as it grew, as most shows inevitably do. (I guess a similar thing happened to Doctor Who. It starts out with you not knowing what the hell is going on, and over the years they do answer most of your questions, but you might look back and think it was a little more fun being in the dark.)

I guess one thing that was interesting here was Kouga saying, "It's been awhile" and that he had to get warmed up for fighting Horrors. Makai Knights don't seem prone to taking breaks, Kouga least of all, so I wonder what he's been doing up to this moment.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I think we see the answer to that in a later series. When Makai Knights aren't on a hunt, they go around destroying objects that could become potential gates to the Makai.
lennyhouston16
Go Go!
Favorite series: Gaim, OOO, Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva, W, Go-Busters

Post by lennyhouston16 »

takenoko wrote:I think we see the answer to that in a later series. When Makai Knights aren't on a hunt, they go around destroying objects that could become potential gates to the Makai.
But what happens when they destroy all the objects in their district or is there an unlimited horror supply store? I wish there was a season of Garo where they actually address the actual origin of the horrors and try to stop it for good.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

New objects are always created because of evil Ki. As long as evil exists in human hearts, Horrors will always exist.
Alessar
Salami Commander
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

What happened to the Garo S1E1 "HD Remaster" thread? I answered someone in that thread (Areku) and my reply also quoted something from this thread and somehow my post landed here instead of that new thread which now seems to have vanished....
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I don't think we had a HD remaster 01 thread?

Return to “Garo Season 1”