Garo Beast of the White Night

JustiFan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Re: Garo Beast of the White Night

Post by JustiFan »

Ah I see. Giving it another viewing now, I think on that final time you do actually get another line speaking over the top of the original one, which I guess is the actual Japanese that you guys were then able to translate. I think that probably didn't register with me last time as both dialogues were kind of jumbled together.

Well, thanks for clearing that one up for me guys - another mystery solved. And thank you for all the time and effort you all put into this fantastic show! :D
Map
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: W/Black RX
2nd Favorite Series: Decade/Den-O
Favorite Actor?: Sean Connery
Favorite Band: AC/DC

Post by Map »

Saejima Kouga wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:Also, is the actor that played Tsubasa the one that played Kamen Rider Rey/Saga/Dark Kiva II ?
Yes, and also Hayami in Cutie Honey the Live.
Seriously? I didn't recognize him at all. I really enjoyed this movie, I think what I liked the most was how it balanced both drama and action. Rarely see that in any movies.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

He'd be mid 20s in this movie, and late 20s in Kiva. Also, I think the fact he has short hair in this movie is something that leads to the confusion.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Map wrote:
Saejima Kouga wrote:Yes, and also Hayami in Cutie Honey the Live.
Seriously?
Fo'serious.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7
Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

Post by KickHopper »

takenoko wrote:No, because a midnight sun is a specific phenomenon that doesn't occur in this movie?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_sun

白夜 【はくや】 (n) white (arctic) night, short night, midnight sun
Doesn't that simply mean that the title could be translated as any of those? They all mean the same thing, the midnight hour being lit as day. White night and midnight sun both refer to the same phenomenon that obviously does not occur here but refer to a supernatural variant.
ImageImage
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Except that the kanji literally says "white night". Since it's not referring to the phenomenon, it probably means just basically what it says
HIDragonstar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Garo, Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojiro
Dreamy: Kaoru, Kotoha,Wakana
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by HIDragonstar »

I just realized something, and I'm wondering is someone can confirm it.

When Jabi purifies Rin of poison. You see the image of the Makai tree saying something. (In the Makai Language I think.)

Then when Kouga pierces himself with the Phosphorous Arrow to defeat Legules, he has an image of his mother saying the EXACT SAME THING.

I'm really wondering what the heck it means now. I'm almost tempted to find out if it might be in Ainu, or actually just ask my Japanese Friends if ANY of them have an idea about what language it is. I know its not Chinese, I'd have to check with a Korean friend about it being in Korean, but some of the syllables don't match.
People say that the real world isn't black or white, its shades of gray. I prefer to think its a rainbow spectrum, when any color is dark enough, its black, when any color is light enough, its white. Yet, there is a spectrum of cultures and values.
JustiFan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by JustiFan »

HIDragonstar: I already asked about the same thing on the previous page. Azazel & takenoko clear it up pretty well. On those first two occasions, the line isn't translated because it's apparently not spoken in any "real" language (as you said, it could be the "Makai language" invented for the show).

However, at the end of the film when Rin summons the colourful butterflies, the line is spoken again whilst Kouga has a backflash, and this time it's translated because the actual Japanese is spoken over the top of it. Presumably when Kouga "hears" the line before, not even he quite remembers what was actually being said - only on that last time does it finally come back to him, and that's when we finally understand it as well.

I had been confused by it myself, and I didn't catch it at first because on that last time both the Makai speech and the Japanese speech were sort of mixing in with each other... it sounded like something completely different to me. Once I listened more intently though I realised it was actually the same thing.

So long story short: if you're wondering what she's saying, check Kouga's backflash at the end when Rin summons the butterflies. It's the same line, and then you finally get the subtitles for it.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

In regards to naming the movie "White Night" as opposed to "Midnight Sun", I always thought it was in reference to Tsubasa, who was the White Makai Knight. To call him the "Midnight Sun Knight" as Wikipedia does makes absolutely no sense. His armour's white, after all...

As for the "Night" part (besides being phonetically similar to "knight" and thus a possible pun), it could easily refer to the darkness surrounding a total eclipse, as well as the metaphorical darkness or "night" that the world faces if the Legules family revives. This also blends in with the idea of Tsubasa's duty to send the arrow and bring about a metaphorical "new dawn" before the eclipse ends; not to mention how the pure light of his henshin can kill a Horror.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
DarkProject
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Quote: Fast like the wind,
Silent like a forest,
Intrusive like the fire,
Immobile like a mountain.
-Takeda Shingen

Post by DarkProject »

Is this movie set at the end, or right after the recap episode?
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It's set after the end of the TV series.
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

I haven't watched this in some time, but I remember when I did watch it, I thought it was absolutely brilliant! I love that they brought Jabi back, and the little girl, Rin, she was so cute! All of the elements came into play in an exceptional way, from the acting, the special effects, the story. i'm only sad that the character of Kaori wasn't in it that much. she popped up I think for a cameo appearance, I think, just to let people know that she and Kouga are still together... or something.

I'll have to watch this again, this was an awesome film and a great send off for the series.
Kamen Rider
Gabu
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
My boom: Gaim
Quote: おばあちゃんはこう言ってた。天の道を行き、総てを司る男………俺の名は天道総司

Post by Kamen Rider »

LOL, now every knight that has appeared in GARO has also appeared in kamen rider except kouga XD
PS: I dont count Kiba a "real" knight :D
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Man, if Ryosei Konishi played a Kamen Rider, that would be so badass.
Kamen Rider
Gabu
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
My boom: Gaim
Quote: おばあちゃんはこう言ってた。天の道を行き、総てを司る男………俺の名は天道総司

Post by Kamen Rider »

Catastrophe wrote:Man, if Ryosei Konishi played a Kamen Rider, that would be so badass.
ikr? at first i thought he was ryu terui, but after looking up info, they're just two similar looking guys :)

Return to “Garo Season 1”