Garo Soukoku no Maryu released (3300 releases)

Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Garo Soukoku no Maryu released (3300 releases)

Post by Lunagel »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_~Soukoku_no_Maryuu~

Starting off, pretty good. The opening music was excellent and I like how they made the credits into the "fall" to the other world.

Man, Rei's chin fuzz looks like small hamsters died on his face.

At first I thought they were going to go for a world based on Kaoru's books when I saw the little armor guys but I guess not? The visuals are absolutely stunning though, I can see why this movie took so long in production, it's pretty much all CGI.

I wonder how many hours of makeup Meru had to go through each day.

So our villainess likes pretty things? That's...new. I think my biggest question though is: What the hell is up with those freaky fishy chicks lesbing all over the gold circle? Do you think they put this movie on their resume?

Kakashi is a bit strange. And annoying. I guess they were going for a Wizard of Oz thing here? So Kakashi is the scarecrow, obviously, Pen Samurai Guy is the Tin Woodsman? Cowardly Lion? Anyway, the punchline of this is that Kouga is Dorothy, tee hee.

I wanted to light up a joint at that dancing sequence. Maybe it would have made more sense that way. I get why they changed Kouga to Chibi!Kouga (since it would have looked utterly ridiculous and ruined all sense of dignity for the character) but it still was odd.

Climactic fight was badass. I just wish it hadn't taken so long for actual Garo to show up in a movie about Garo.

Overall the premise reminded me a lot of Toy Story. You know, how you should take good care of the things you own and not forget them even when they're gone. Definitely making me feel the same guilt of "I can never throw away anything ever again." A good message though.

AHHHHHHH MERU WAS KAORU THE WHOLE TIME I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING.

So Rei and Kouga fight and then The End? Huh. Well that explains nothing about if Kaoru and Kouga have bebbies or in fact anything about season 3. Horray.

Annnnnnnd Kaoru is Miss Not Appearing In This Film.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Re: Garo Soukoku no Maryu

Post by DaVinci030 »

Whoa! It's a very good movie and I like it (better than Red Requiem). I knew it... it's actually took place after Makai Senki.

That dance sequence, but I thought it's (original) young Kouga... but it was pretty good.
Lunagel wrote:Kakashi is a bit strange. And annoying. I guess they were going for a Wizard of Oz thing here?
It's literally true.

So this is Kouga's climactic battle with that big size demon dragon (Judam) in the Promised Land.

So after the end credits, this movie ends with Kouga and Kaoru reunites... again (it's the same scene as Makai Senki and is extended).

By the way, in the end credits, there a bunch of makings including the staffs (that includes Amemiya Keita).

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Garo Soukoku no Maryu released

Post by takenoko »

So last week I watched Firefly for the first time. And I was telling my co-worker, this show shouldn't be good. It's got too many disparate elements (space+wild west+Chinese shit), but because Joss Whedan is a smart guy, he's able to pull it together in a cohesive way.

And Soukoku no Maryuu is Alice in Wonderland + Unico and the Island of Magic + Dark Crystal/Labyrinth + Garo for Amemiya. It's CGI up the ass, but strangely, this works really well because Amemiya is a visually creative guy with a strong enough world sense to bring it all together. I mean, compare this to the CGI monstrosity of the prequels with George Lucas.

The devil's in the details, and this movie has plenty. I love the chibi knights, who are obviously born from Kaoru's picture books. They're called Knights of the Wind and if you remember, her book was called The Black Flame and the Golden Wind.

Also the Garo Ken becoming a dog was clever. Yeah, we know ken means sword. But ken is also another way of saying dog in Japanese (It's the dog part of Jigoku no Banken/Guarddog of Hell).

I didn't know Kouga's coat had a name.

I love the little details that hint at the true nature of Kouga's companions. Meru has water attacks, scales on her arms, and fins. It's also interesting that she's like half of Kouga's size. Meru's pretty good looking when she's not blue.

Luna, those are just called Fish Heads in the designs.

I really liked Judam as the evil witch queen of the movie. She's very grandiose while being kind of pitiful at the same time.

I mean, this movie was a very classical fantasy movie. I could easily see a more crude version of this coming out during the 80s and being done with all muppets. It's just so whimsical. And Kakashi's house has tacky license plates on the wall. Classic! Kuromaru is very cute.

Also, I like the introduction of the training bot at the beginning before we meet Kakashi. That explains why his face is covered in scars.

It's pretty crazy when you learn that Kiria's head is a pen tip.

The gradual reveal of the true nature of the Promised Land is nice. I enjoyed going "Oh yeah, so this is what this place is about."

And it's interesting that they hint at something going on in the real world and some fight between Rei and Kouga, but it's not explicitly explained what's going on with those stories. It feels fine if there's a little mystery left.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Going to double post because the last one was pretty long.

I have to wonder about the Guardian of the Shrine of Wisdom. You see, I'm thinking that his form changes depending on whoever enters, like Meru said. So it's just a coincidence that it took on the form of Zaruba. Unless the guardian really was Zaruba the whole time? In that case, maybe only his body changes? (Since he becomes a swordsman because that's what Kouga is)

I also like the subtle message of Soukoku as a whole. It's a celebration of man's creation... like making tv shows and movies, such as the Garo series.

The movie is interesting if you understand the nuances of Japanese.

Judam speaks in a very polite form. And you might notice that she ends her sentences with her voice going higher. This is like the opposite of aggressive, confrontational speech. It almost makes each of her sentences seem like a question. She even adds a polite o- before yame when she tells her guards to "Stop!" But like Judam herself, it seems very pretty, but all it does is hide her wicked, selfish nature.

Kiria speaks like an old man, which is what stereotypical dwarves in Japanese shows use too. Lots of ja's and such.

Kakashi doesn't really have a style so much as he enunciates everything like he's performing a show.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I freaking love this movie! It reminds me of Labyrinth, Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of OZ, Hakaider, Mortal Kombat (Kakashi and Kouga's fight's battleground), and Tim Burton animated movies all in one.

Rei needs to shave.
@Luna perhaps those little guys were forgotten and that's why they were in that world?
Kuromaru was absolutely adorable! I got really sad when he started crying over Kakashi disappearing.
Now we know where the Garo suit disappeared to! (This movie, until the end of Garo S3)
The after credits scene with Kaoru and Kouga was very touching and sweet.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack

Post by DaVinci030 »

Saejima Kouga wrote:The after credits scene with Kaoru and Kouga was very touching and sweet.
That was the extended scenes after the end of Makai Senki episode 24. I surely know it.

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Re: Garo Soukoku no Maryu released (3300 releases)

Post by takenoko »

Image Kouga sketch

Image Azure Dragon Garo sketch

Image Merusketch

Image Kakashi and Kuromaru sketch

Image Judam sketch

Image Judam sketch

Sketches of the various creatures

Map of the Promised Land. Look at it!
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack

Post by DaVinci030 »

Sounds like it's a pretty good sketch you got. I like it.

Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I enjoy the movie and the message it came across. Meru being the goldfish I didn't see at all. So Rei used his visit to the Land of the Dead to speak with Taiga. I guess he's obsessed with beating Kouga that he went to his father for advice. Also I thought Kouga's coat was just a coat and not magic at all. Who knew.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

First the things I didn't like:

- The final power up. Both the shape (that was ugly) and the way of getting it (I give you my feelings!).
- The OST, even if it is good, maybe is the "less good" of every Garo product. Actually, the best tracks were from Makai senki (except the Jam Project intro).

The rest is awesome. Like they hinted previously, it's like Jim Henson meets Amemiya, they like each other and go crazy with their imagination. The concept its clever, nice characters, and the visuals are astonishing. I was afraid about this new aproachment to Garo franchise, but it works.

A question about the ending: Did Kouga give the armor to Gajari?

Edit: Did you notice that, in the part of the Kouga vs Rei that you can see in the credits, they recreate this fight scene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cv9I-ES_Xs 3:26
Last edited by Dragonfan on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XerBlade
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Faiz
Dreamy: Tatsulot
Favorite Actor?: Ishida Akira
Quote: Kamen Rider Meteorologist! I will decide your forecast!
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by XerBlade »

KOUGA~~~!!!!!
I missed you... :cry:

I also missed all the surreal and fantastic elements that so permeated the classic Garo and that season 3 lacked completely, but this movie has in spades to make up for it/balance things out a bit.
Watching
Kamen Rider: Saber

Complete
Kamen Rider: All Black and later
Sentai: Shinkenger,Gokaiger,Magic Kaito VS Detective Conan
Garo: All
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

XerBlade wrote:KOUGA~~~!!!!!
I missed you... :cry:
I've been here the whole time.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
dat20091
Go Go!
Quote: "Where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns... yet by the blade of Knights, mankind was given hope..."

Post by dat20091 »

The movie was AMAZING
It had weird elements but that's one of the things that made the movie good.
I loved the ending and the way they did it,
as they asked Kouga who made him, and the scene with him saying to Kakashi that he was one of the people who made Kouga.

When Rei did that like shock wave thing, I was thinking to myself, awwwwh shit he met Taiga,
and then his ghost appears

At the end there with the scene with the dead pendant on the wooden thing, It was on a scarecrow, which was Kakashi, that they were hinting at was a nice touch.

The ending with Kaoru was sweet :) it was nice to see the rest of the ending to episode 24 of Makai senki, to see they get reunited :)
novem15er
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
Dreamy: Koyomi
Favorite Actor?: Ray Fujita
Favorite Band: X Japan, SOPHIA
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Imaginary Stories
Quote: "I am... the Oncoming Storm, the Destroyer of Worlds, the Lonely God, the Predator..."

Post by novem15er »

Soukoku no Maryu is awesome. It's kind of different from the series and Red Requiem but still it's awesome! :D
Several references to Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of OZ (Scarecrow/Kakashi), Transformers (Zaruba) etc...

Kouga's battle with Judam's Little Knights reminded me of Kingdom Hearts.
I wish Rei would lose that facial hair when he does the Zero Spinoff series.
So much feels (Kakashi, Kuromaru...).
Freddie from Cromartie High Saejima Taiga, Leo and Dan's cameo appearances.
and now we have a hint as to why Garo in season 3 is not a Saejima.

Now I'll watch Tougen no Fue next :mrgreen:
swb90
Go Go!

Post by swb90 »

I'm sad that Kaoru only appears for that split second >.<
Still this is loads better than Season 3 and I totally enjoyed it.
The opening and the dance scene felt like I was hallucinating though, with all the bright colours and funny shapes!

Meru without her blue is stunning! Totally forgot Kouga had a goldfish named Kaoru. Clever trick!
The non-CGI fights were excellent as usual. Makes me wish they could have continued with this in the subsequent seasons but I guess it wasn't feasible.
Totally enjoyable movie!

Return to “Garo Movies”